Can the PS3 Slim hdmi & AV Multi Out be active at same time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the PS3 Slim hdmi and AV Multi Out connections be active at same time? I want to have the hdmi go to my projector and the AV multi out go to an SD display that does not have hdmi. You would think this would be easy to find but I have not found a definitive answer to this yet.

DB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes the slim can can output both at the same time. Look under the SETTINGS > SOUND SETTINGS > AUDIO MULTI OUTPUT (ON/OFF).

There are limitations such as you can't get more then 5.1 channels over HDMI when set to ON and HDMI will be down converted to 44.1/48 kHz.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

Can the PS3 Slim hdmi and AV Multi Out connections be active at same time? I want to have the hdmi go to my projector and the AV multi out go to an SD display that does not have hdmi. You would think this would be easy to find but I have not found a definitive answer to this yet.

Yes

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...udiomulti.html
post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. And I take it the video should also come across on the AV multi out as well? This way I will have two displays...one HD and the other in SD?

DB
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
that won't work.

500 gigs FTW.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I need to get video out from both the hdmi and video out from the AV multi out. So this is not possible?

DB
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I need to get video out from both the hdmi and video out from the AV multi out. So this is not possible?

Nope, a limitation of the PS3 many people have requested to be changed too. I've never had the need, but I can see how some would like it. But in any case, if that is what you need to do, HDMI splitters and converters are what you will likely need to look into.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think that is something a firmware update could fix or is it a hardware limitation?

DB
post #9 of 9 Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Do you think that is something a firmware update could fix or is it a hardware limitation?

I expect it is a hardware limitation. There are of course video cards designed for PCs with multiple monitor support, but even there, I'm not convinced that you could have the same picture displayed on 2 monitors with different resolutions. In any case, unless the PS3 GPU hardware was designed to drive 2 separate outputs simultaneously with the same picture at different resolutions, then a FW update could not fix it.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, there is one particular circumstance where you can get both HDMI video and standard def composite or component. If you put your finger on the power on touch sensor and hold it there until you hear the 2 beeps (maybe different on the slim), the PS3 will power up and output standard def 480p to HDMI and standard def 480i via composite and component, all simultaneously. Unfortunately, aside from being standard def, you're also stuck on a screen asking you to configure video output at the end of which, only one video output will be active, either HDMI at full HD resolution, or component HD, or composite SD.

So, technically the GPU can output simultaneously to 2 different monitors, though they're both at the same resolution and it can only do this in a special config mode.

P.J.
Reply PlayStation Area