PS3 If USB is Faulty how to reset / restore - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My problem is my own making so its very embaressing saying this, My USB ports stopped working when I decided to open my good fully working PS3 in the hope I could extend its life if I cleaned out the dust that collect inside making it very loud (could easily get mistaken for a XBox 360!!) I did this knowing it was still under warranty, I did not send it away for repair as I felt they may replace it with that dreadful thing called PS3 Slim!!!, Any way I was going to leave it was, as I could always get a Nas drive and access my precious media thru the ethernet connection, but for some reason I listened to the devil inside me and went against wisdom and done a System Settings Restore, which resulted in The Sony Welcome Logo being displayed, it then (dont laugh here) it asked me to connect the PS3 controller using the USB lead and press the PS button (it would have been okay if the USB posts were now reset and fixed as mentioned in another post) but my luck as usual this did not happen as USB still did not work, my PS3 is now a brick, it will now always flash that annoying message asking for the PS3 controller be connected via USB cable to USB which are not working!!!!! i can hear the song, if I wish I can turn back time..I would...but I sure cant....so sad I like the orignal PS3 now im gona end with a Xbox360 because I dont think i can get into bed with a PS3 slim!!!!!! thanks for the post but I am still looking for a the mirracle cure for my problem!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have yet to take a PS3 apart, but are you sure you didn't just unplug the USB cable from the mainboard by accident (or forget to plug it back in if that is part of the disassembly?)

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If you send it in to Sony for repair, they will send you back the same model of PS3 that you sent in. So if you send in a 'launch 60gb' unit, you will not get a slim back (thereby losing backward compatibility).

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyedGangsta View Post

My problem is my own making so its very embaressing saying this, My USB ports stopped working when I decided to open my good fully working PS3 in the hope I could extend its life if I cleaned out the dust that collect inside making it very loud (could easily get mistaken for a XBox 360!!) I did this knowing it was still under warranty, I did not send it away for repair as I felt they may replace it with that dreadful thing called PS3 Slim!!!, Any way I was going to leave it was, as I could always get a Nas drive and access my precious media thru the ethernet connection, but for some reason I listened to the devil inside me and went against wisdom and done a System Settings Restore, which resulted in The Sony Welcome Logo being displayed, it then (dont laugh here) it asked me to connect the PS3 controller using the USB lead and press the PS button (it would have been okay if the USB posts were now reset and fixed as mentioned in another post) but my luck as usual this did not happen as USB still did not work, my PS3 is now a brick, it will now always flash that annoying message asking for the PS3 controller be connected via USB cable to USB which are not working!!!!! i can hear the song, if I wish I can turn back time..I would...but I sure cant....so sad I like the orignal PS3 now im gona end with a Xbox360 because I dont think i can get into bed with a PS3 slim!!!!!! thanks for the post but I am still looking for a the mirracle cure for my problem!!!!

It seems like a good bet that you unplugged a cable inside. I would check on the playstation forums for some tech help on the issue. Look for Gilksy. The man is a genious. You can find his famous YLOD fixing procedure on youtube.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...-p/techcentral
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...neral/bd-p/ps3

Good luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update on this, I checked every thing again in case as suggested by members here of the possibility of idsconnected usb from main pcb. This was certainly not the case as the usb's are soldered onto the main boardand there is no wire connection, thats why its difficult to replace this part aswell if it goes faulty. for Information, the WiFi and Bluetooth functions are added using a small daughterboard connected using ribbon cable on the original 60gb PS3, the later 40GB version moved even these to the main board.

Also, I was lucky I had a 3 year warranty (cost £35) and it was in the the second year, when I returned it to Argos for repair I said to the lady I would like it to be repaired and not be given the slim version, well they felt it good customer service to refund me the money I paid originally (£350) which I accepted. So I am very happy, as I can choose to buy any console I want or not at all and have not lost any mney after using the it for 2 years, credit to Argos for thier customer service!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 11
you just had to take the hdd out and turn it on then turn it off connect the hdd back and i t will boot as normal that happen to me and it work
kevin734 likes this.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page