post #31 of 51 Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

The Move is capable of tremendous accuracy, but presumably not all games will take advantage of that.

Exactly. The Fight is a good example. Last time Sony demoed it, the lag was noticeable. Apparently the demo at Gamescom has made the lag negligible to the point of not being an issue. I'm sure the pointing tech (for games like Socom) can similarly be optimized so that response times aren't an issue. We're seeing similar work happening for Kinect as the launch approaches.

What this means is that we're still in the early days of knowing how to handle motion tech. Even after a few years of Wii games being made, devs are still working out the kinks and getting their bearings. I'm approaching these new motion techs as "test runs" for next generation. There might be some cool stuff, but a lot of the lag and accuracy issues won't be worked out completely until the next go around.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Well that can be said for any game regardless of the control scheme. The negatives and positives are to be found in the titles themselves, not the tech. Done correctly, the Move can not only enhance the experience of a particular genre, but it can be used to develop new experiences too. I like what I see here with Echochrome II for example.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #33 of 51 Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The negatives and positives are to be found in the titles themselves, not the tech.

Ordinarily that would be true, but motion tech is a horse of a different color. If it doesn't "feel" right, then it can sour the entire experience.

But, yes, you're right, good designers know the limitations of a given technology and work with it rather than against it. That's why games designed around motion tech work much better than games shoehorned into an unsuitable motion control scheme. A little bit of lag might be just fine for a game like Sorcery, but it might be completely game-breaking for a game like Socom.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #34 of 51 Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Ordinarily that would be true, but motion tech is a horse of a different color. If it doesn't "feel" right, then it can sour the entire experience.

Heh, yeah that could never have happened with a controller based game like Killzone 2.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #35 of 51 Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** December 2011 Update ***

Sorcery will arrive in stores Spring 2012:

Quote:
DEVELOP YOUR CHARACTER – Collect magic items, learn new spells, and concoct upgrade potions, to turn your humble apprentice into an unstoppable magic force!

A LUSH AND VARIED WORLD – Explore five unique realms, each with their own enemies and challenges. Descend into the kingdom of the dead to battle the Banshee and the Restless Dead warriors, venture into the endless stair where vicious bogies are wreaking havoc, brave the faerie forest, raid the Slumbering Palace to free Lord Fey, the Faerie King, and much more!

Here's a hands-on preview.

Developer interview snippet:

Quote:
How are you approaching the PlayStation Move controller? It doesn’t feel like a game built specifically for Move, and by that I mean, it doesn’t feel like “General Move Title #15.” It looks to have the quality of a standard, controller-based game.

That was by design – it was built for the Move from the ground up. It was never intended for a controller. Our attitude was: a lot of motion controlled games are basically “Simon Says.” You’re told something to do, and you do it. And you’re told something to do, and you do it. We thought that it’d be possible to create something that uses motion controls to control the game but played something like a real console game. Something that played like a shooter, or an action adventure game, the sort of game that most core gamers play.

That’s really what Sorcery is: an attempt to take motion controls and translate them into a gaming experience that going to appeal not just to a casual audience, but to a hardcore gamer audience, because it has the sort of deep challenges that I think gamers would want out of this sort of game.

post #36 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 AM

Liked: 13
Good to see this is still alive!
post #37 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, from the video they retooled the whole look of the game. I like the new design, and some of the spell combos in the 2nd half look fun to play around with.

post #38 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If this was released as the game presented at E3 two years ago, I would give it a pass. Now it's looking like it may be the AAA title for the Move we've been waiting for
post #39 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The game looks kinda fun. I'd actually like to see something like this available on a tablet.

One thing is for sure, the more of these move demo videos I see, the more I am convinced that you shouldn't let anyone watch you play these... ....because you can't help but look like a tool while playing.

-Suntan
post #40 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

One thing is for sure, the more of these move demo videos I see, the more I am convinced that you shouldn't let anyone watch you play these... ....because you can't help but look like a tool while playing.

-Suntan

I never left so hard as when I watched the video playback of me trying Singstar Dance for the first time.
post #41 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I never left so hard as when I watched the video playback of me trying Singstar Dance for the first time.

Literal me is imagining you stomping out of the room as hard as possible

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #42 of 51 Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Literal me is imagining you stomping out of the room as hard as possible

You'd almost never know I was a professional writer/editor.
post #43 of 51 Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

If this was released as the game presented at E3 two years ago, I would give it a pass. Now it's looking like it may be the AAA title for the Move we've been waiting for

For a lot of people, after that E3 demo, it already was the Move game that everyone was waiting for. But just like you, I'm glad they've redone the look of it. As it was a pass before, it now looks like something I could have fun with.
post #44 of 51 Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

So, any opinions on this game yet?

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #45 of 51 Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

So, any opinions on this game yet?

Looks like I'll be waiting for it to hit the bargain bin, and based on some of the reviewer scores, I probably won't have too wait long. This from IGN:

Quote:

One of the best PlayStation Move games, but I think most gamers will question why and how Sorcery took so long to create. With a short adventure, no replay value and no online functionality to speak of, Sorcery is a one-off. A fun one-off, for sure, but a one-off that likely won't push PlayStation Move controllers off the shelves.

From Destructoid:

Quote:

For those desperate to use their Move controllers in something exclusively centered around the Move, Sorcery provides a few hours of inanity that can be gratifying, if in a slightly underwhelming way. Still, the game's chaotic camera and unwieldy controls can frustrate, not to mention the alarming tendency for the PS Move to need consistent recalibration.

post #46 of 51 Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a demo in the EU store.
post #47 of 51 Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the "It's a great use of Move" makes me want it. But the "6 hours total" makes me not want it until I'm getting a better deal for my time.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #48 of 51 Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Yeah, the "It's a great use of Move" makes me want it. But the "6 hours total" makes me not want it until I'm getting a better deal for my time.

It's also 66% the cost of a standard game, many of which are also 6 hours.

I watched my kids play the first 30 minutes, it looks great and has charm. So far he just has two spells and can just arcane bolt the bad guys. It will probably get too hard for him soon, he is six.

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #49 of 51 Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

It's also 66% the cost of a standard game, many of which are also 6 hours.

I watched my kids play the first 30 minutes, it looks great and has charm. So far he just has two spells and can just arcane bolt the bad guys. It will probably get too hard for him soon, he is six.

No kids yet and I tend not to buy FPSs(aka most games I buy are either PSN and much cheaper or last a lot longer than 6 hours )

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #50 of 51 Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ya, then wait.

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #51 of 51 Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
FYI: Sorcery was $20 at Gamestop online this week and I pulled the trigger, it is $25 used right now there. So I believe we will see other sales of this title.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page