Lakers FTW! joeblow's awesome 2010 PSN game giveaway contest - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213

To celebrate my Lakers beating the Celtics in seven games for the 2010 NBA Championship, I'm holding a special contest for some of you fellow PS3 gamers out there.

Top prize? On separate days, I'll PM the winners access info to my PSN for 24 hours so they'll be able to dload any of these sharable games I have installed on my PS3. There will be two awards, which is one for each of the championships my Lakers have won in the last two years.

Here is the prize list:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
  • Joe Danger
  • Brain Challenge
  • Prince of Persia Classic
  • Soldner-X2: Final Prototype
  • Uncharted: Eye of Indra, Ep.I-IV
  • PixelJunk Shooter
  • Price is Right
  • Mahjong Tales
  • flOw
  • Tekken 5: Online
  • Bionic Commando: Rearmed
  • WipEout HD
  • Go! Sudoku
  • High Velocity Bowling
  • Fat Princess
  • Flower
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Zen Pinball
  • Watchmen 1&2
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Beats (PSP)
  • PixelJunk Monsters
  • Wolf on the Battlefield: Commando 3
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD
  • Ratchet and Clank: Future
  • Lemmings
  • The Last Guy
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Calling All Cars!
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Locoroco Cocorecchio!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rules are simple:

Spoiler  
- I'll edit the bottom of this first post on Sunday, June 20th at 9:00 PM (PDT) and paste in several PS3 game related questions.

- I will use this clock as the timer.

- Correctly answer as many as you can (misspellings are no big deal), and then PM them to me by 9:10 PM (PDT) of that same evening. Yes, you only get ten minutes, and once the world clock reaches the deadline, I'll delete any other entries.
[/b][/size]

- The two who get the most correct will win. In case of a tie, I will have a random drawing of all who got the most to determine the winners.

Special note: I'll only award prizes to regular members of this PlayStation forum. That would be those who have 1,000+ posts and/or have been on the site for at least a year this month (i.e. bassmonkeee, confidenceman, Sonies, etc.).

All casual lurkers, anti-PS3 trolls, or shady personality types who PM answers to me will not be awarded if they win. Don't bother asking if you qualify, because if you have to ask the answer is likely no.

I may change the rules if need be (edits will be tagged), but that's pretty much it. If you don't win, don't worry! I may run the contest again next year when we three-peat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

joeblow's PS3 Quiz

Spoiler  
1. Odd name out? Hint..."also, not on the list": Madison, Elena, Rico, Drebin

2. Name the game that might be mistaken by casuals as a search for Jennifer Lopez and Serena Williams.

3. After the question, fill in the blanks.God of War 3 and The Saboteur show off what new PS3 tech for gaming? _ _ _ _

4. Name this heroine: Motion controlled arrow shooter.

5. Only one name comes to mind when you mention monsters, shooter, dungeons and racers.

6. Based on the games and suggested prices shown so far, what is the least amount of money a a PS3 solo gamer can spend on Move related hardware to enjoy all of its titles with no limitations? Round off official base prices to the nearest dollar.

7. Name one Olympic diety that Kratos has not directly encountered.

8. Some old school Playstation gamers hope that the Grasshopper will return in this title with a pounce.

9. Name three MMOs with actual titles that have been announced as console exclusives for the PS3 as of today.

10. Ignoring the D-Pad, how many buttons are there on the official DualShock 3 contoller?

Congrats to the two winners, MrHunt and number1laing!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Just wanted to say that's very nice of you to do.

Best of luck with the contest!

Jason
post #3 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

(i.e. bassmonkeee, confidenceman, Sonies, etc.).

I don't know if I should be honored, or horrified to lead that list of members.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #4 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
post #5 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Am I a lurker or a regular able to enter the contest? I don't have 1000 posts but I've been here since 2007
post #6 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Go Lakers!

Can't believe it took until game 7 against Boston for the Lakeshow to man up, but they did it. I'm thinking this finals is going to really galvanize them for next year's run.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #7 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Can I play my other screen names been here since 05 and I am a Celtics fan

PS very cool of you to do this joe!!!!
post #8 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Am I a lurker or a regular able to enter the contest? I don't have 1000 posts but I've been here since 2007

I'm curious as well.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #9 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This is pretty cool of you to do.

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #10 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I hate to be the jerk here, joe, but you do know this violates the PSN terms of service, right?
post #11 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^

Quote:
Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

post #12 of 61 Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Wow. What an incredibly cool thing to do.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #13 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^^

That quote is waaaaaaay outdated. Sony has revised their terms of service since to exclude sharing from anyone but your kids.
post #14 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The TOS also mentions that they don't want you to broadcast your dloads, but I don't see you complaining any time someone posts up a youtube homemade video link.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm using my PS3 as the Sony execs advertised it should be used when I purchased it. Until they remove the game sharing feature (that they put in the system themselves) like they did Linux, I'll continue to use it. If a disclaimer is needed, then whoever wins I assume you promise to delete the programs one minute after you dload them once I send the info. The rest is up to them.

So unless you plan to make a citizen's arrest or something, you may as well move onto some other issue because I'm done wasting my time responding.

post #15 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

No need to worry, I am done wasting my time as well.
post #16 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Anybody see Kobe (as well as some of the other Lakers) on Jimmy Kimmel last night? Man, that guy is classless to me Just seems like kind of a dick in general. Cant stand him. If I hear one more comparison to "THE MAN" (MJ) I am going to puke. Sure he is a fantastic player, but Jordan he is not. Needless to say, I was pulling for Boston..........oh well

Happy for my fellow Dead-Head Phil though

Great contest Joe and very kind of you. Good luck

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cool idea.

But as a bitter Boston fan, I won't be participating.
post #18 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Anybody see Kobe (as well as some of the other Lakers) on Jimmy Kimmel last night? Man, that guy is classless to me Just seems like kind of a dick in general. Cant stand him. If I hear one more comparison to "THE MAN" (MJ) I am going to puke. Sure he is a fantastic player, but Jordan he is not. Needless to say, I was pulling for Boston..........oh well

Happy for my fellow Dead-Head Phil though

Great contest Joe and very kind of you. Good luck

Jordan's the greatest of all time, I agree. However if you don't think he don't think he was 10x more surly, angry, and bitter than Kobe you must be new to b-ball. He has punched out his own team mates Steve Kerr and Will Perdue in their faces during different practice sessions for no good reason!

Quote:

Jordan, you may recall, punched Steve Kerr in the face in a 1995 Chicago Bulls practice.

Kerr, as I remember, had the audacity to stand up to Jordan during one of those scrimmages where His Airness was heaping abuse on teammates.

Quote:

Michael punched out two nice-guy teammates during practice -- Steve Kerr and Will Perdue.

I mean, you only had to see his sad HoF induction speech to realize that as great of a player as he was, he had (and still has) some serious issues with pettiness and letting negative things in the past go. The media knew about his attitude back in the day, but before the internet it was easier to hide how bad his attitude was from us even though stuff leaked out.

So it's just plain false to make a comparison between him and Kobe in this way, especially based off of Bryant's interview last night with his team. I mean, what was it that he said in that show that makes him "classless"?

Was it when he adamantly stated that there was no way the Lakers win the last two titles without Fisher? Was it when he said that Artest is one of the greatest defenders of all time? The gushing praise he had for The Spaniard? The compliments he had for often-ignored Adam Morrison by saying he's a fantastic and skilled offensive player? Saying Sasha is the person he trusts most after Fisher to hit a big shot when they need it?

The whole show everyone was laughing and joking... maybe you got to see some hidden behind the scenes footage or something because what you're describing is not what took place last night.

post #19 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe you got to see some hidden behind the scenes footage or something because what you're describing is not what took place last night.

Or, he's just bitter.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #20 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jordan's the greatest of all time, I agree. However if you don't think he don't think he was 10x more surly, angry, and bitter than Kobe you must be new to b-ball. He has punched out his own team mates Steve Kerr and Will Perdue in their faces during different practice sessions for no good reason!

I mean, you only had to see his sad HoF induction speech to realize that as great of a player as he was, he had (and still has) some serious issues with pettiness and letting negative things in the past go. The media knew about his attitude back in the day, but before the internet it was easier to hide how bad his attitude was from us even though stuff leaked out.

So it's just plain false to make a comparison between him and Kobe in this way, especially based off of Bryant's interview last night with his team. I mean, what was it that he said in that show that makes him "classless"?

Was it when he adamantly stated that there was no way the Lakers win the last two titles without Fisher? Was it when he said that Artest is one of the greatest defenders of all time? The gushing praise he had for The Spaniard? The compliments he had for often-ignored Adam Morrison by saying he's a fantastic and skilled offensive player? Saying Sasha is the person he trusts most after Fisher to hit a big shot when they need it?

The whole show everyone was laughing and joking... maybe you got to see some hidden behind the scenes footage or something because what you're describing is not what took place last night.

Who said anything about surly, angry and bitter? I absolutely agree that Jordan was 10x more in all these areas as compared to Kobe, but I would also throw in competitive, intimidating and unforgiving.......... Jordan was a ferocious ****ing a-hole on the court. if you are looking for an argument pick a different subject

Its just my perception of Kobe in general Joe that I perceive as very low class, arrogant and very cocky. Jordan was cocky, intimidating, arrogant, but there was still a sense of class and charm to his character IMO and from my perspective that made him very likable which Kobe severely lacks. Maybe you have heard the term "perception is everything" Joe, and that applies here. We both have a different perception of Kobe and considering neither one of us will likely become friends with the guy, that is all we have to go on unfortunately

As far as Jordans HOF speech, I had a much different perception (surprise, surprise) than you did. Anyone who knows anything about Jordan knows just how competitive he is and how much he hates to loose and how much this fuels and fueled what he does and did. Where do you think that 2nd to none hellacious drive and desire came from in him?

If the HOF speech was your first clue that Jordan does not let go of past experiences very easily (and in turn he used this to fuel his fire), you obviously have not been following the man to closely. If interested, start off with his documentary "Come Fly With Me" (which is fantastic by the way) which gives you a strong sense of what you experienced in the HOF speech. Another good resource is the book "Driven From Within Michael Jordan" which is a quick interesting read. These are just 2 things to get you started, but of course there are others. This is who Jordan is and some like it and some dont........I love this passion in him and find it very interesting, BUT I can understand your perspective all the same even if I dont agree. Bottom line is that anyone who knows even a little bit about what fuels Jordan as a player and person was not surprised AT ALL by what went on in that HOF speech. IMO, that speech was arguably the finest HOF to date because it was so honest, so lacking in the usual political BS that commonly comes with those type of speeches and so revealing of Jordan as not only a player, but as a person. Of course if that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion/perception (as evidence of the fact that you and I dont agree).......personally, I love Jordans character and find it very inspiring in certain ways to-wards parts of my own life.

As far as me seeing some behind the scenes footage of the show last night Joe, we saw the same show..........where we differ is in PERCEPTION of Kobe and the way he carries himself in general. We all have people that rub us the wrong way and that we PERCEIVE as a-holes........Kobe is one of those for me while at the same time he is not for you and until we can both get to personally know him (which is obviously ridiculous and not going to happen), neither of us is wrong.

All just my opinion/perception Joe and its nothing to get offended by which you obviously are.

What are your thoughts on Phil? Maybe we can agree on that? I am a Phil fan for various reasons and like I said I am happy for him (I think this was #11?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Or, he's just bitter.

OR I just have a different perception which is the case here My feelings for Kobe are the same before this series as compared to after, so the bitterness argument does not apply here. I certainly would not have liked Kobe anymore had the Celtics won.

post #21 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

k.

post #22 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

k.

Surely we can both be happy for Phil Jackson atleast, right?

post #23 of 61 Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That's the great thing about perception. I perceive Kobe as genuine and not an ass kisser while Jordan was the more phony to me. He befriended everyone but harbored major resentment as shown in his HOF speech. He was better than Kobe at hiding his "dickness" during his playing days. MJ's speech is perceived as insight into his passion yet Kobe's singleminded focus on basketball is perceived as being MORE arrogant. I think this is where they are actually equals. I think both are extremely competitive and arrogant. Perhaps that's what makes them as good as they are. It's just that MJ was better in public.

Kobe will always get slammed (deservedly so) for the rape allegations and selling out Shaq during the investigations. BUT we've all forgiven MJ for cheating on his wife (at least once) all those years and paying off the woman (though the crazy chick later sued to get $5million falsely claiming he fathered her child) to keep quiet. Then to show up at the HOF induction with the GF. That TO ME was classless. But that's just my standards. By all accounts MJ was the Tiger of his time. They both followed their scripts well. Family oriented but competitive. Best in their game. But MJ didn't blow it until after retiring so people didn't care about his indiscretions. Tiger blew it in his prime.

We all can't win these arguments with these particular athletes. they are all flawed. We'll stand by our hero and see what we want to see and ignore things we don't want to see. As you said, perception. Doesn't mean someone is right or wrong. MJ is better than Kobe as a ball player, imo, and I'm a huge Laker fan. I'll argue that Magic in many ways was better than both though. To suggest that MJ or Kobe is a better person without knowing them is a precarious position though.

Sorry for the ramble. stuck working and bored as hell. BTW, Lakers baby... Back to back without Shaq.
post #24 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'll edit the first post with the questions in about two hours from now. Oh, and Happy Father's Day!

post #25 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's up for ten minutes!

DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS IN THE THREAD PLEASE.

post #26 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Don't think I am eligible, but I will try it anyway just to test my knowledge lol.
post #27 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One minute left! Turn it in now!

post #28 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Time's up!

post #29 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Dang... that was much tougher than I expected lol.
post #30 of 61 Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

really tough, i sent it with 9:09:54... hopew it counts
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page