AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185

Ever so slowly, info is trickling out on the next FF release. Summary:

Quote:

A few extra Versus XIII Details

Game Jouhou has updated with a few additional Versus XIII details from either Famitsu or Dengeki.

Apparently, the included screens show a massive wilderness scene. Also included is a battle scene that's set in a city modeled after Shinjuku, and a scene showing a gasoline stand.

Says Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."

Also from the Nomura interview:
  • The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations
  • The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains
  • The battles are seamless
  • The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?
  • The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.
  • You can destroy objects that you find on the road.
  • The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.
  • The staff is excited about making the game.
  • Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3.
Of course, this won't mean much until we can actually see the screens...

New Final Fantasy Versus XIII Info Coming at TGS

I believe there were some reports during E3 of The Last Guardian making an appearance at this year's Tokyo Game Show. Well it won't be carrying the PS3 all by itself! Famitsu has an article on Final Fantasy Versus XIII this week, complete with new screenshots (finally!) and a Tetsuya Nomura interview! It looks like Nomura confirms some announcements for the game at TGS!

Quote:

This week’s Famitsu issue (via andriasang) contains a very informative interview with Tetsuya Nomura talking about the gameplay details in Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

The upcoming title features a massive open world where the only barriers are the mountains. Furthermore, certain objects are destructible. Like Final Fantasy XIII, loading will be mostly seamless with only prolonged load times occurring between massive areas. The combat, too, will be seamless as it features a mixture of random encounters and having the ability to see enemies on-screen in advance.

Finally, Famitsu posted several screens, including environmental shots of a wilderness area and a battle screen from a city inspired by Shinjuku, from Final Fantasy Versus XIII in which Tetsuya Nomura confirmed to be running in real-time from the Playstation 3 hardware. The clouds in the game are based on real physics calculations. Apparently, the combat screens are so good that people won’t believe it is done in real-time. Although the game is looking great so far, Tetsuya Nomura says that they will further improve and polish the graphics.

Square Enix is planning to make several more announcements regarding Final Fantasy Versus XIII at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, which will be held from September 16th through the 19th.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I was always more interested in Final Fantasy Versus XIII than XIII. The dark tone/theme looks like a nice setting.
Can't wait to play as an emo Cloud
post #3 of 26 Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I updated the first post to include a fuller summary of the recently released info.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this game have anything to do with ff13? why is it called 13 vs? Is it online like a pvp kinda thing?
post #5 of 26 Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It is in the same "universe" so to speak, so it shares some of the mythos of FFXIII, but 95% of it is its own game with its own plot and characters.

post #6 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 View Post

Does this game have anything to do with ff13? why is it called 13 vs? Is it online like a pvp kinda thing?

Because final fantasy xiii was so light and cheery and having everything to do with saving the world...vs (I hope) is pretty much the direct opposite of that. Nocturne looks like a mix of batman and fal'cie

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #7 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The story structure is pretty much complete. Hopefully this means there will be video soon since I'm still not sure of this one until I see it in action:

Quote:

Tetsuya Nomura spoke with Dengeki Online, confirming that the storyline, the characters, and their clothing designs have all been completed. Do remember that in order to get Final Fantasy XIII off the ground, Square Enix had to redirect resources from Versus, which explains why it has been quite a long time.

As for any information about characters and the story, they're not spilling any beans just yet.

post #8 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It is in the same "universe" so to speak, so it shares some of the mythos of FFXIII, but 95% of it is its own game with its own plot and characters.

It's also supposed to be like Kingdom Hearts, is it not?

That is to say, and action RPG?
post #9 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yep.

post #10 of 26 Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Check out the first video showing off FFvXIII's engine running on the PS3. It's the second set of scenes in the montage, not the first one (FFXIII Agito). It is a nice looking "open world" title so far, with subdued Devil May Cry kinetic action instead of the turn based stuff the series is known for.

post #11 of 26 Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

So the combat in this game is going to be like an action game, not typical FF? I'm about 15 hours into FFXIII atm and I'm liking it a lot, but I'm always a bigger fan of real action over turn based combat.

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #12 of 26 Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty View Post

So the combat in this game is going to be like an action game, not typical FF? I'm about 15 hours into FFXIII atm and I'm liking it a lot, but I'm always a bigger fan of real action over turn based combat.

+1, I'm a big fan of the old school turn-based FF. Also, I like to control all of my party, not only 1 like FFXIII
post #13 of 26 Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty View Post

It's supposed to have game play similar to Kingdom Hearts.

Which is why I'm excited to play this game.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-09-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Details on the video from the director:

Quote:

The opening sequence of the Versus trailer which shows a close-up of main character Noctis is part of a pre-rendered movie, said Nomura. Everything else is real time footage of the game being actually controlled.

Regarding the sequences showing Noctis running about, Nomura said that you can traverse these areas on foot as shown in the trailer, but he believes most people will opt for transportation via car.

Regarding the ending battle sequence with the giant behemoth, Nomura said that they slowed the speed down just a bit from the real thing. The reason for this is that Noctis' speed is actually so fast that you can't see him clearly.

For further details on the trailer and how you can watch it yourself, see this story. Nomura actually commented on the sequences shown in the trailer, along with such areas as car transportation and the battle system, back in June.

post #15 of 26 Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Im guessing the behemoth at the end was actually a "Behemoth" in which case they changed the look too much.

I did not fall in love with Kingdom hearts because I prefer turn based vs action. We'll see how far it stretches to the action genre.

post #16 of 26 Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A gameplay video is FINALLY available. It's looking pretty good too, with great melee combo attacks, a nice ranged attack system, mech fighting and more:

post #17 of 26 Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
This is probably Square Enix's last chance with me (FF -wise... Deus Ex Human Evolution looks pretty interesting though). I got close to finishing FFXIII, but suddenly lost interest. I ended up watching the final FMVs on youtube, so I probably will never finish it. My nephew loves Kingdom Hearts, but it was always a bit "too kiddy" for me, so I'm really looking forward to Versus. Hopefully it will be a great game. I'm surprised they didn't reveal the release date at this special press conference... hopefully it will be this year.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a direct-feed High Def video clip of the game in action. In the director's latest comments, it looks like it'll be a 2012 release.

post #19 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The battle looks just like XIII to me. I hope it plays more like XIII than KH.

post #20 of 26 Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

The battle looks just like XIII to me. I hope it plays more like XIII than KH.

The only reason I'm interested in this game, is because it was supposed to play like Kingdom Hearts.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

According to this Final Fantasy website, Famitsu magazine says this game will be released in three installments (first a disc, then two DLC parts) in order to finally get it out the door:

Quote:

Scans are beginning to surface on the internet of the latest issue Famitsu, which has more of their interview with Final Fantasy Versus XIII’s director, Tetsuya Nomura. In the page we have, Nomura speaks of announcements being made at this year’s E3, but more significantly, mentions that they’re looking at releasing Versus in three separate parts as a way of bringing forward the release date.

Nomura explains that Square-Enix are aware of the frustration of fans with regards to the length of Versus’ development time. He also says that, after experimenting with DLC in Final Fantasy XIII-2, SE are keen to make regular use of downloadable content and are looking at releasing the last two thirds of Versus as download-only. He does not mention how much these will cost.

Keep in mind that this could be a April Fool's joke like any other surprising news released over the next day or so.

post #22 of 26 Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Versus has been renamed XV and has gone multi-platform (Wii-U).
post #23 of 26 Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

While that could be fake (only a title screen is shown after all), it wouldn't be a surprising development.

post #24 of 26 Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Looks like Versus has been renamed XV and has gone multi-platform (Wii-U).

One of the characters in the cutscene looked like from the older vs XIII trailer. If Vs XIII has been renamed as XV, then Square has more time to develop it and keep making XIII and rumored XII sequels. If you look at XIII-2, almost everything in the game were recycled from III. Some of the maps came from III and then in XIII-2, the maps are slightly modified for different time segment. Most of character models were also recycled from XIII. With the slowness of Square historically in developing new Final Fantasy, making sequels are the only way they can release a game in about a year since 80% of the work are recycled and also much cheaper to develop. As for the sequel storyline, XIII-2 never make any sense to me with the time travel that never fit in any known time paradox theories. But doesn't matter since it has "Final Fantasy" name and Square knows they can sell enough copies to the fans.

Since FF XV has gone multiplatforms, if the game still get delayed until 2014, the next gen Xbox could be included since every console by then will have Blu-ray drive.

Question: Is Square spending too much time "developing" FF pre-rendered cutscenes or the actual game? Another reason FF XIII-2 was done in a year is most of the cutscenes were done in realtime engine. If Square is spending too much time "developing" high detailed pre-rendered cutscenes, maybe they should consider using realtime engine since it's quicker and cheaper. It's just not worth to add several months of additional "development" time making pre-rendered cutscenes that is not interactive to the player anyway.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
So it went all these years to be announced possibly for Wii U as well? WOW

The 5.0 is here
post #26 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/5914989/square-eni...is-indeed-fake

I guess it was fake afterall. I thought it might be legit because I didn't recognize the footage that was shown. I also thought "why would anyone bother faking something that would be debunked in less than a week?"
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page