Studio Ghibli's "Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch" for the PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193

Out in stores and on the PSN right now: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Reviews across the board are stellar:
Click to expand... (Click to show)
PlaystationLifeStyle 10/10
godisageek 10/10
TechDigest 10/10
rpgland.com (Legendary out of 10)
Laserleming 10/10
arolemodel 10/10
GameMasters UK 9.5/10
Vandal 9.5/10
IGN 9.4/10
LaPS3 9.4/10
Gametrailers 9.3/10
PS3trophies 9.2/10
OPM UK 9.1/10
Gamespot 9/10
Eurogamer italy 9/10
Japanator 9/10
gamingunion 9/10
GamesRadar 9/10
EGM 9/10
gamerevolution 9/10
TheSun 9/10
The Guardian 9/10
Spong 9/10
Gamereactor 9/10
VideoGamer 9/10
blisteredthumbs 9/10
Metro 9/10
EuroGamer 9/10
Machinima 9/10
StrategyInformer 9/10
Nowgamer 8.5/10
thegamejar 8.5/10
Eurogamer Spain 8/10
Digital 8/10
GamesTM 8/10
GameInformer 7/10

*** JULY 2012 UPDATE ***

Limited Wizard Edition details (Click to show)

The Wizard Edition of this game can be pre-ordered directly from Namco for $100. Here are the details:

Quote:

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, an epic tale of a boy name Oliver travelling between two worlds on a quest to save his mother, is developed by the critically acclaimed Japanese development studio, LEVEL-5. The game features animations and cut-scenes produced and supervised by the legendary Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli, and features music scored by the world-renowned composer Joe Hisaishi.

The Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – Wizard’s Edition will include a 300+ page hardback physical copy of the Wizard’s Companion, the spellbook Oliver uses throughout his journey in the game. The full-color Wizard’s Companion contains a bestiary of all the creatures found in the game along with in-depth item descriptions, spells and history of the other world. The limited-run Wizard’s Edition will also contain a plush doll of Drippy, Oliver’s guide through his adventures, as well as exclusive “golden mite” and “golden drongo” DLC familiars.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a heart-warming tale of a young boy named Oliver, who embarks on a journey into another world to become a wizard in an attempt to bring his mother back from the dead. Along the way Oliver makes new friends and tames many of the wonderful creatures that inhabit the world, raising them to battle other creatures on his behalf as he takes on formidable enemies. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch will be available January 22, 2013 in North America and will include both English and Japanese voiceovers.

*** OCT '11 UPDATE ***

A stunning new trailer has been released.

*** SEPT '11 UPDATE ***

The game will be coming to the U.S. in early 2012!

~~~

From the makers of the spectacular animated film, Spirited Away comes a new RPG adventure developed by Level 5 called Ni no Kuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou. It'll be out exclusively for consoles on the PS3 on November 17, 2011 (Japan), and hopefully out here in the States not long after.

The game will come with a Magic Master Book, which has a few hundreds of pages of info on the game world and characters. It also has spells which apparently you will employ with the Move controller.

First trailer here, showing comparisons of the original animation and the real-time game engine. They are virtually identical.

An actual page from the included Magic Master Book!

Check out these amazing in-game screenies, which reportedly are animated as fluidly as Studio Ghibli's films:

~~~~

*** SEPTEMBER 2011 UPDATE ***

The game will be released in Japan on November 17, and a special gold 160GB PS3 with the game included will ship at the same time:

Here's the latest trailer of this absolutely beautiful game:

New screens:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very nice, I'm going to have to import this, I love Ghibli films.

And it made by Level 5, too. Sure fire hit methinks
post #3 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
i'm gonna call this Ni-no for short...
post #4 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Oh my god, my son is going to freak out. (Almost as much as me). My wife just bought him a stuffed Neko-bus toy and he loves all of the movies that we have let him watch (Castle in the Sky, Kiki, Totoro) so far. (We just got Ponyo the other day, so that will be next in line).

I hope we don't have to wait too long to get this in the States. Preferably with an option to use the original language "track" with subtitles, as well as dubs.
post #5 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1st trailer up! The initial footage shows the hand-drawn animation by the studio, then it shows the same scenes as it appears in real-time on the PS3.

post #6 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If this plays half as good as it looks, it will be one of the PS3's best games.
post #7 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks really cool

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #8 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It'll be out exclusively for consoles on the PS3 in 2011 (Japan), and hopefully out here in the States not long after.

I'm trying not to get too excited just in case it doesn't make the jump across the Pacific. AFAIK there's been no suggestion that it would make it out here. But considering this has been the reason I was going to finally buy a DS, I'd be unbelievably stoked to play this on an HD console.

Man, I love me some Studio Ghibli (even the non Miyazaki stuff).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #9 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Might be a little violent for my son... but with a 2011 release and who knows when on a US release that probably won't be an issue .

Also, the DS game looks great too.
post #10 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Grave of the Fireflies is an incredible non-Miyazaki Ghibli film. But I don't think I've seen any others. Got any suggestions?
post #11 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm trying not to get too excited just in case it doesn't make the jump across the Pacific. AFAIK there's been no suggestion that it would make it out here. But considering this has been the reason I was going to finally buy a DS, I'd be unbelievably stoked to play this on an HD console.

You can still get the DS version since the story and 300+ page magic book is different than the PS3 version, despite being closely tied together. As for the possibility of coming stateside, I think Sony has personally published all of Level-5's PlayStation exclusives (except Dragon Quest VIII of course) going back to the PS2.

Even if SCEA were dumb enough not to publish this, I'm sure a smart company out there will pick it up, like what Atlus did for Demon's Souls (and Sony really regrets that since it sold so well here). Disney may even want to do it, seeing how John Lasseter idolizies Miyazaki and goes all out to make the english dubs of Ghibli's recent films highly professional.

post #12 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Grave of the Fireflies is an incredible non-Miyazaki Ghibli film. But I don't think I've seen any others. Got any suggestions?

Disney released "The Cat Returns" on DVD, which is great fun. "Pom Poko" is another great film, even if it is a bit on crack it features many common Ghibli themes (Nature and man in conflict, magical worlds, etc.). "My Neighbors the Yamadas" is more of a slice-of-life sitcom with no fantastic elements.

"Tales from Earthsea" is directed by GORO Miyazaki, Hayao's son. That opens here in the US in limited release in a couple of weeks. "The Borrowers Areity" is Ghibli's next release, but isn't out yet in Japan or the US. "Whispers of the Heart" is supposed to be good, but I haven't seen it. Miyazaki wrote it and his intended successor Kondo direct it...but Kondo had an aneursym a few years later, sadly.
post #13 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, great info WizarDru, thanks.
Quote:

"Tales from Earthsea" is directed by GORO Miyazaki, Hayao's son. That opens here in the US in limited release in a couple of weeks.

I heard that LeGuin was really upset with it. Something about how while it was a fine film it had nothing to do with her story. (This is a vague recollection, so take with a grain of salt). Have you seen it, and if so, was it any good? Did you read the original stories?
post #14 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:

I heard that LeGuin was really upset with it. Something about how while it was a fine film it had nothing to do with her story. (This is a vague recollection, so take with a grain of salt). Have you seen it, and if so, was it any good? Did you read the original stories?

Her response to the film may be found on her website here.

I really hope some publisher picks up this game for North America. Hopefully the success of Valkyria Chronicles in the States encourages them to localize it.
post #15 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can still get the DS version since the story and 300+ page magic book is different than the PS3 version, despite being closely tied together.

If they're too similar, I'll pass on getting the DS version since I still don't have a DS (though I'm totally sold on the 3DS).

Quote:

Disney may even want to do it, seeing how John Lasseter idolizies Miyazaki and goes all out to make the english dubs of Ghibli's recent films highly professional.

I think it's more than just idolizing. AFAIK Disney (because of Lasseter's influence) now has the full distribution rights for Miyazaki's movies in NA.

post #16 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's not just distribution. It's localizing as well, which is why the english dubs are so well done.

BTW, I see that the developer Level 5 is opening up an office here in Los Angeles this September and one in Europe next year. My guess is that they'll start self-publishing a lot of their titles internationally from now on.

post #17 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaa

Whisper of the Heart is great, though a little saccharine

post #18 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaa

Those are all Miyazaki movies. But Whisper of the Heart isn't.

Most of the non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies are much more "saccharine" than his films. But, god, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most harrowing movies I've ever seen. On par with the work of Lars von Trier in terms of its melodrama and tear-jerkiness.

Didn't realize they'd done an adaptation of the Earthsea books!

post #19 of 160 Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best war films ever made, but you only need to see it once (not many people can sit through it 2x).

I imported Earthsea on DVD a few years ago and liked it well enough (and I read almost all of LeGuin's books, Earthsea and otherwise).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #20 of 160 Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best war films ever made, but you only need to see it once (not many people can sit through it 2x).

+1000 on that. Yikes. As an aside, here's a funny piece of trivia. When it debuted in Japan, it was double-billed with Tonari no Totoro. Yes, that's right, My Neighbor Totoro.
Quote:

I imported Earthsea on DVD a few years ago and liked it well enough (and I read almost all of LeGuin's books, Earthsea and otherwise).

Well, as a LeGuin fan and a Miyazaki/Ghibli fan, I will definitely have to check it out when it finally comes over here.
post #21 of 160 Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM

I do hope they bring the DS and PS3 games stateside.

As far as Tales from Earthsea, it was release in the UK and Australia in 2007, so it's already received and english dub.....you can find a torrent online, I watched it about a year ago and I found it to be pretty good, not as good as most Hayao Miyazaki films but it's comes close.

Whisper of the Heart was a great film, definitely suggest seeing it!

Also The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Panda Go Panda and Pom Poko are all good ones, though panda go panda is really for the younger crowd.(note, the racoons do have balls hanging from their groin area in Pom Poko, which I thought to be quite odd...no other parts though, thank goodness!)
post #22 of 160 Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Those aren't racoons, they're tanukis!

Quote:

Those are all Miyazaki movies. But Whisper of the Heart isn't.

Looks like Miyazaki wrote it, but didn't direct it. Interesting!

post #23 of 160 Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally caved and watched the PS3 trailer. Whoa. Looks like what I've been waiting for this gen from a JRPG. Beautiful environments. I hope that music is from the game. Tough to tell too much about the combat from that snippet, but looks like a mix of old-school Dragon Quest turn-based stuff mixed with Tales-style action RPG elements. And I love the look of that overworld map. God, I hope this makes it across to NA (and good localization would be a real bonus).

post #24 of 160 Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:

i loved "my neighbors the yamadas". not so much a single story as a bunch of (usually hilarious, occasionally touching) moments in the life of a cutely dysfunctional family.
post #25 of 160 Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1000 on that. Yikes. As an aside, here's a funny piece of trivia. When it debuted in Japan, it was double-billed with Tonari no Totoro. Yes, that's right, My Neighbor Totoro.

To be specific, Totoro was considered to be the movie that no one would go to see; in fact, the only way Totoro (which was Miyazaki's pet project) could get greenlit is if he made 'Fireflies', which is an adaption of a famous book in Japan. Though Totoro eventually proved wildly more successful, at the time it was released the prevailing assumption is that would be overshadowed by it's more famous pairing (which again was the only reason that they got Totoro in the theater....they released them as a set).
post #26 of 160 Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd second whoever suggested The Cat Returns for a good non-Miyazaki Studio Ghibli release. It's a little more zany/silly than your typical Miyazaki movie, but I love it. Fun, fast-paced, fantastical.

As far as my favorite Miyazaki - not that anyone asked - hands down: Porco Rosso! It's got flight, dogfights, post WWI European locales, and the most charismatic half-man/half-pig protagonist you've ever encountered.

Oh, and Ni No Kuni looks sick!

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #27 of 160 Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
HDNet Movies has been showing The Cat Returns for the last couple of months (dubbed version) and it looks gorgeous (probably the new transfer that Disney will use for the Blu).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #28 of 160 Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good news! Level 5 is already strongly hinting that this title might come to the U.S.

post #29 of 160 Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news! Level 5 is already strongly hinting that this title might come to the U.S.

I'd have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure that virtually confirmed it in this month's Nintendo Power. The fact they're even covering it there is a pretty sure indicator, for that matter.
post #30 of 160 Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Must see videos from TGS! They aren't direct feeds, but look good any way (click HD):

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Ni No Kuni Wrath Of The White Witch Playstation3 Game Namco Bandai Games , Tales Of Xillia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page