Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Colin Moriarty: Exactly. It's not really hard to rationalize it in your head as being a good deal... it's more a matter of if you are willing to do it or not. I pay a monthly subscription to Netflix. That doesn't mean I get to keep every Blu-ray I rent, nor does it mean I get lifetime access to their streaming network. It means that as long as I subscribe, I can watch any of their movies, and when I stop subscribing, I don't have that access anymore. It's ludicrous that people attack this part of PlayStation Plus as being a negative. Let me give you an example.

Are these people retarded? Netflix subscription has value because you can access nearly all their content at all times. PSN+ does not give you instant access to all PSN games, that's the difference and is one of many reason why people don't see value in PSN+.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, I can confirm that you can't activate more than one PS3 with the same account with Automatic downloads. If you try, it will tell you that it is already activated and that it will disable it if you want to use it for another PS3.

Guess that means that I will set one of them for automatic downloads and then a few days later, I will disable it and set it on another PS3.

Since I have 4 PS3's in the house, the only thing I hate is that it has to automatically log into an account. Makes it difficult due to the fact that some of the PS3's are used for automatic logins for the PSP remote play.

Oh well, I guess I just have to make changes often.

Going to see how long it takes my PS3 to automatically patch all my programs as I have probably over 60 different game saves.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #63 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Are these people retarded? Netflix subscription has value because you can access nearly all their content at all times. PSN+ does not give you instant access to all PSN games, that's the difference and is one of many reason why people don't see value in PSN+.

Well, that's why it's called an "analogy".

The relevant part of the analogy is that both Netflix and PSN+ are subscription services and when your subscription ends, so does your access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Liked: 21
Does anyone know if the extra 3 months is a temporary thing and if so, when does that bonus offer end?

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #65 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

A similar thing happened to me. I had just eaten dinner when I noticed there was another restaurant right next door. The other restaurant was actually trying to sell a steak dinner for $32, but I had already eaten. Where's the value in that?

My point exactly!
post #66 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree View Post

Does anyone know if the extra 3 months is a temporary thing and if so, when does that bonus offer end?

I thought I read somewhere the offer is only good until 7/6/2010, but now I don't see it on the PS+ web page: http://us.playstation.com/playstatio...R_001_PSPlus_H

Unrelated question. What's the deal with minis? Can they be played on a PS3 or just a PSP? Still trying to figure out if Plus is worth it to me.
post #67 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

Well, I can confirm that you can't activate more than one PS3 with the same account with Automatic downloads. If you try, it will tell you that it is already activated and that it will disable it if you want to use it for another PS3.

Going to see how long it takes my PS3 to automatically patch all my programs as I have probably over 60 different game saves.

If I may ask, what are the options for times to select for the PS3 to do the automatic updates.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #68 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I thought I read somewhere the offer is only good until 7/6/2010, but now I don't see it on the PS+ web page: http://us.playstation.com/playstatio...R_001_PSPlus_H

Unrelated question. What's the deal with minis? Can they be played on a PS3 or just a PSP? Still trying to figure out if Plus is worth it to me.

The minis CAN be played on a PS3. If you look in the gaming column on the XMB, you will see that there is a special "Minis game save" or something like that in the column.

As far as I know. there are no minis that you can earn trophies on. I know that doesn't matter to some, but just a point to consider.
post #69 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

The minis CAN be played on a PS3. If you look in the gaming column on the XMB, you will see that there is a special "Minis game save" or something like that in the column.

As far as I know. there are no minis that you can earn trophies on. I know that doesn't matter to some, but just a point to consider.

Are minis fun (which I know is subjective)? I've seen them, but what exactly are they? Short (mini) games?

post #70 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

If I may ask, what are the options for times to select for the PS3 to do the automatic updates.

I forget the exact times but there were several choices over night, ranging from like 10PM to 8AM the next day. I picked the 2AM-4AM time slot.

Quote:

The minis CAN be played on a PS3.

Yep... the free minis Zombies game is actually pretty entertaining.

My equipment list is
. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #71 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can you earn the trophies with the "free" games (i.e., Wipeout HD)? And if so, when you cancel your PS+ sub, do these trophies vanish? Not that I'm a trophy whore or anything.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #72 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

I forget the exact times but there were several choices over night, ranging from like 10PM to 8AM the next day. I picked the 2AM-4AM time slot.

Yep... the free minis Zombies game is actually pretty entertaining.

Thanks for the info. I routinely play until 3 am, but from 4 - 7 am is pretty damn quiet. It's also the times that I usually let the PS3 do it's overnight HDD backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Can you earn the trophies with the "free" games (i.e., Wipeout HD)? And if so, when you cancel your PS+ sub, do these trophies vanish? Not that I'm a trophy whore or anything.

From what I've read is that you get all the perks as having the full game. However, if you decide to drop your sub, the game won't magically go away, you just will not be able to enter it to play it again until PS+ is reactivated. I think the trophies are there to stay once you aquire them (which would make sence since you get trophies from rental games now). The only trophy issue is when the game is the 1 hour trial. I think those trophys don't get posted to your profile until you decide to pruchase the real content. But anyone with PS+ feel free to correct me.

post #73 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Games are not movies. Most games on disc retail at $60, new release movies on disc are less than half that. Also the Netflix subscription is double the money at $8.99 a month, PSN+ is at $4.17 per month. Really the services are not comparable because the media they offer is not comparable.

Now if you compare it to something like Gamefly, who charges $15 per month to have one game out, then you have something.

Really though the value of PSN+ is going to depend on what they offer from month to month. Get the right stuff in there and it will be great, but there's definitely some good things already.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #74 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

The minis CAN be played on a PS3.

Not all of them, which sucks.
post #75 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Good to know. However I've got to assume all the free minis offered to PSN+ subs each month will work on the PS3. If not what is the point of offering them, unless its just to encourage PSP sales.

FYI for those that haven't downloaded yet: the free theme is static and not dynamic. With a name like "collision" I was expecting to see things... umm collide?

My equipment list is
post #76 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

That's what confused me about the minis. Is there any way to tell which one can and can't be played on the PS3?

Also, are all minis and PSone classics all displayed in 16:9, 729p (or even 480p)? If they are, is it because they have static borders around the edges like Zuma has? I play on a plasma, so that's a minor concern.
post #77 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

That's what confused me about the minis. Is there any way to tell which one can and can't be played on the PS3?

Also, are all minis and PSone classics all displayed in 16:9, 729p (or even 480p)? If they are, is it because they have static borders around the edges like Zuma has? I play on a plasma, so that's a minor concern.

When you look in the store there are "Mini's PS3" and "Mini's PSP" sections.

I would think that the Mini's would never be over 480p, and the one I have (Blast Off) is boxed in black.

post #78 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

When you look in the store there are "Mini's PS3" and "Mini's PSP" sections.

I don't think this is correct. I just opened the store and there's a "Minis" section. It is not divided.

If you go into the details, the fact that it won't work on the PS3 is a bit hidden. For example, Sheep Defense states "...playable on a single PSP system only". So if you interpret that to mean you can't load it on more than one PSP (which is not true) you may not realize it won't work on the PS3.

I can't find it right now (don't have time) but there was a release from Sony that stated all minis would play on the PS3. It's a shame this isn't true. I bought some thinking they would work and they did not.
post #79 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think this is correct. I just opened the store and there's a "Minis" section. It is not divided.

If you go into the details, the fact that it won't work on the PS3 is a bit hidden. For example, Sheep Defense states "...playable on a single PSP system only". So if you interpret that to mean you can't load it on more than one PSP (which is not true) you may not realize it won't work on the PS3.

I can't find it right now (don't have time) but there was a release from Sony that stated all minis would play on the PS3. It's a shame this isn't true. I bought some thinking they would work and they did not.

If you go into the store under Games>PS3 Games>mini's the PS3 ones are listed there (the PS3 mini's list does not have Tetris, as Tetris is PSP only).

If you go in under PSP Games>mini's then you get the PSP ones.

Oh, if you DL'ed before they updated the mini's for PS3, just DL again and they should work.

post #80 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought they were all supposed to be compatible as well. If it's a guessing game as to which ones work with the PS3, and they don't have trophies, they aren't even on my radar.
post #81 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Another reason to upgrade to PSN+ as it seems Hulu is going to require it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...m_campaign=rss

My equipment list is
post #82 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Another reason to upgrade to PSN+ as it seems Hulu is going to require it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...m_campaign=rss

Kinda weird to have to subscribe to one subscription service (PS+) in order to use a another subscription service (hulu)

post #83 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Kinda weird to have to subscribe to one subscription service (PS+) in order to use a another subscription service (hulu)

BTW King, I think I'm going to go ahead and get this PS+. I've just got a sneaky feeling that if Hulu is going to go the PS+ route. Netflix might just follow suite and you enver know what else. Who knows, but, like you and I agreed on the texts, it seems that in order to get less screwed by Sony and the marketing department, it is best to jump on the bandwagon ASAP. I'll talk to the wife tonight, but more than likely no matter the outcome, a charge will go on the PS3. Thank god Sony fixed the email issue to my main account to. Otherwise I'd be pissed about now.

post #84 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW King, I think I'm going to go ahead and get this PS+. I've just got a sneaky feeling that if Hulu is going to go the PS+ route. Netflix might just follow suite and you enver know what else. Who knows, but, like you and I agreed on the texts, it seems that in order to get less screwed by Sony and the marketing department, it is best to jump on the bandwagon ASAP. I'll talk to the wife tonight, but more than likely no matter the outcome, a charge will go on the PS3. Thank god Sony fixed the email issue to my main account to. Otherwise I'd be pissed about now.

Ironically, the wife has been pushing for me to get the service sooner than later. Her gut has rarely been wrong, so I figured that I'd talk to you and let you know my thoughts. I guess that point is moot now.

This just really makes our sub accounts kinda useless. UNLESS, one of us wants to put the subscription on the subaccount rather than the main... thoughts?

post #85 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ironically, the wife has been pushing for me to get the service sooner than later. Her gut has rarely been wrong, so I figured that I'd talk to you and let you know my thoughts. I guess that point is moot now.

This just really makes our sub accounts kinda useless. UNLESS, one of us wants to put the subscription on the subaccount rather than the main... thoughts?

You can't! It has to be purchased on a main account. It's pissing off a fair number of people who started a PS3 account before they were 18 and now can't make it a main. Again, I don't think the subaccount will everbecome useless. There will be things we might still want to share. You might get 20% off with PS+, but when 5 people share it still cheaper.

Side question. Does anyone know if you have a subaccount (tied to the main of course) that it gets the benefits of the main (being the primary account)? I doubt it but you never know.

EDIT: You are supposed to talk to me too about moving from wireless to wired in the new place too.

post #86 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't! It has to be purchased on a main account. It's pissing off a fair number of people who started a PS3 account before they were 18 and now can't make it a main. Again, I don't think the subaccount will everbecome useless. There will be things we might still want to share. You might get 20% off with PS+, but when 5 people share it still cheaper.

Side question. Does anyone know if you have a subaccount (tied to the main of course) that it gets the benefits of the main (being the primary account)? I doubt it but you never know.

EDIT: You are supposed to talk to me too about moving from wireless to wired in the new place too.

I guess I'll make the plunge for PS+ in the next hour or so.

Don't worry, haven't forgotten. It's not hard to do at all as long as you're buying the right equipment for it.

post #87 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would tell you two to get a room, but it seems like you already have one
post #88 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kinda weird to have to subscribe to one subscription service (Live Gold) in order to use a another subscription service (Netflix)

Meh. It's been done.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #89 of 1082 Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Maybe if they add free streaming of some of their movies and shows.
post #90 of 1082 Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
wow.. i go away for an 8 month tour and AVS PSN Forum turns into a Fanboy lounge?

Lets see what initial offerings for PSN PLUS are..

a demo of a game that is over 1 year old (infamous)
free download of an (albiet cool) 1 year old game game (wipeout).
Discounts on games and dls that they would have discounted regardless.
Saves you three clicks and a minute wait by pushing data to you.

That is worth $50? what happened to the critical eye of AVS'rs?

(as for the IGN article, it screams paid endorsement).

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page