post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Engadget

Quote:

With the PS3's plethora of USB ports scattered across the front, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer that all shooters on the console would support keyboard and mouse controls to make the FPS purists happy. Sadly that's not nearly the case, so it's up to companies like Penguin United (creators of a fine array of silly Wii peripherals) to fill the void. The Eagle Eye is its attempt, a surprisingly sizable box with an unfortunately short 2-foot USB cable and inputs for mouse and keyboard. Using buttons on that box you assign controller inputs to keys and away you go, hunting the Helgath's worst in WASD. The cost is a bit steep at $60 when it ships later this month, but nobody said having a (possibly imaginary) unfair advantage over the competition would be cheap.

Could be very interesting. Discuss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There is another one called XFPS Rateup Adapter for the PS3 which I am going to test out.

From what I have read you get a smoother quicker response using a keyboard/mouse combo allowing you to move, aim and shoot with more precision, however could be considered a cheat by some.

What has me curious is since you can map buttons with these devices are they limited to keyboards or can you use a variety of USB controllers like a PC Joystick and a Trackball combo or Joystick and Mouse combo.

I have and old Panther XL I customized with an optical mouse and flight stick controller from Happcontrols I am going to test out and see.

Something like a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar or the soon to be released Thrustmaster Warthog stick with a trackball mouse could prove interesting.

A Nostromo™ SpeedPad n52 and a mouse or trackball could prove interesting as well.

EDIT: I have also read ( can't find the link) that a mouse with at least 1000 DPI resolution is needed for best results.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought this came up in another thread here...thanks for giving it it's own thread.

Here are some link to the device in use:

Eagle Eye Setup/Intro
Eagle Eye with Call of Duty Footage

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Hrmmm, I wonder how this would compare to the FragFX controller for the PS3? It's sitting right at the same price point too. Obviously this would have a much wider range of possibly inputs, but at I recall they had issues with the sensitivity of the mouse input.

I never tried the FragFx because it felt too much like cheating.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I thought this came up in another thread here...thanks for giving it it's own thread.

Here are some link to the device in use:

Eagle Eye Setup/Intro
Eagle Eye with Call of Duty Footage

I like the way you can map keyboard buttons then send it do the device. What would be real nice is if it can accept joystick button presses, stick movements etc... that would open the door a plethora of new controllers.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
It's too bad a accessory has to be purchased to accomplish this.

Even Half-Life on the Playstation 2 supported a USB keyboard and mouse out of the box. I can't believe it's not a standard feature for FPS's on the Playstation 3.

If it's for equality in online multiplayer matches, give host the option to mandate the use of a gamepad.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

There is another one called XFPS Rateup Adapter for the PS3 which I am going to test out.

From what I have read you get a smoother quicker response using a keyboard/mouse combo allowing you to move, aim and shoot with more precision, however could be considered a cheat by some.

What has me curious is since you can map buttons with these devices are they limited to keyboards or can you use a variety of USB controllers like a PC Joystick and a Trackball combo or Joystick and Mouse combo.

I have and old Panther XL I customized with an optical mouse and flight stick controller from Happcontrols I am going to test out and see.

Something like a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar or the soon to be released Thrustmaster Warthog stick with a trackball mouse could prove interesting.

A Nostromo™ SpeedPad n52 and a mouse or trackball could prove interesting as well.

EDIT: I have also read ( can't find the link) that a mouse with at least 1000 DPI resolution is needed for best results.

For the curious;

I have been testing out the XFPS Rateup adapter I tried using a joystick mouse combo but it would not recognize the joystick button presses.

However the Nostromo™ SpeedPad n52 I had collecting dust and a mouse works great!

I was able to map the PS3 controller buttons and movement commands to the Nostromo keys and the mouse buttons easily. The XFPS has X & Y axis mouse sensitivity adjustments and I only had to boost them about half way to get computer like movement speed from the mouse. It makes for very smooth and precise aiming which bugged me about the controllers as I have a tendency to over compensate aiming target to target using them.

It has improved my PS3 game playing experience 100% I can see now why some think this is a cheat and I am not even using the auto fire capabilities.

FYI on the auto fire; I did find you can still use a PS3 controller hooked up via USB cable to the XFPS and are able take advantage of its auto fire capabilities with it, should you want to.

Also should anyone go this route and plan to use the directional pad for on the Nostromo for movement the n52te would probably be the better option (better pad), certainly the one I would buy if I did not already have the n52.

EDIT; FYI, The Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard and the Saitek Cyborg Command Unit would/should work like the Nostromo thus be options as well.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice stuff Socio... I'll look into all those options.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I have done some further testing and found you can map the PS3 controller buttons on a mouse to more than the left and right click buttons.

For example playing MetalGearSolid4 I have the scoped weapon zoom in & out mapped to the mouse scroll wheel and weapon reload to one of my side mouse buttons.

Also there are a couple drawbacks to this setup;

Every once in a while the controllers will stop functioning and I have to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable between the XFPS and the PS3 to get them to work again.

The other drawback is you might have to re-map some keys switching between games for optimum play.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM

imo the fragfx is junk under all settings i have tried with sensitivity settings on controller and in game it just doesnt come out smooth, now the one by hori is slightly better but ive yet to see one come out smooth yet considering it is emulating mouse to joystick function which is weird
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page