Speed up ps3 Internet connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently updated my comcast internet service to 22mbps. My ps3 still has the same slow 4mbps speed its always had. This is making it hard to watch streaming media and enjoy the internet on my ps3. Do you have any ideas or tips I can do to better my internet speed on my system? I have a linksys e3000 router and a motorola docsis 3.0 sb6120 cable modem. Would changing the wireless settings in the router help? *I just bought a linksys wireless bridge for game consoles, the wet610. Not much improvement. The computers in the house all get 15-30 Mbps. Ps3 always gets 4 max. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 AM

I had similar issues running my 80GB via wireless. After a lot of fussing around, I decided to run an ethernet wire to the basement. Big difference.

Powerline is another option if an ethernet wire is not reasonable to install.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 AM

That sounds normal to me based on my old wireless settings. I really couldnt get it to go much faster, unless directly connected.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Streaming video via wireless does not work well.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just run a cable. It helps tremendously.

Monoprice has 100 feet of ethernet cable for $12 before shipping. Your local computer store can probably come close to that price if you don't want to wait.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #6 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Yea, streaming HD movies and playing games online does not work great with wireless. If you want good performance, you need to run a wire.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 05:09 PM

agreed. i like to rip blurays and stream them with ps3mediastream and cant get the wireless to hold it's weight in plastic. the only way i can watch them without all the caching issues is to hardline it with a looong cat cable

ps3- pdp7 ### avs folding team- 55280
post #8 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyridah1 View Post

I recently updated my comcast internet service to 22mbps. My ps3 still has the same slow 4mbps speed its always had. This is making it hard to watch streaming media and enjoy the internet on my ps3. Do you have any ideas or tips I can do to better my internet speed on my system? I have a linksys e3000 router and a motorola docsis 3.0 sb6120 cable modem. Would changing the wireless settings in the router help? *I just bought a linksys wireless bridge for game consoles, the wet610. Not much improvement. The computers in the house all get 15-30 Mbps. Ps3 always gets 4 max. Thank you.

Just a side note. Did you test your 6120 with comcasts 18mbps service? The sales rep was honest and told me not to go higher than 18mbps. He said the 18mbps service would actually get me in the mid 20's with the 6120 extreme modem. He was right!! I'm getting 24down and 4 up with the 6120 modem with the 18mbps service. just a FYI.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post

Just a side note. Did you test your 6120 with comcasts 18mbps service? The sales rep was honest and told me not to go higher than 18mbps. He said the 18mbps service would actually get me in the mid 20's with the 6120 extreme modem. He was right!! I'm getting 24up and 4 down with the 6120 modem with the 18mbps service. just a FYI.

That is what I was reading on the reviews for the 6120 extreme. Great! Just convinced the wife to purchase one. Since I don't think I can afford the 20mbps connection (RCN) in Mass next month, I'll just step in at the 10 mbps and see how it goes. This time my PS3 will be wired with the PC's wireless. I just don't do enough on them to justify having the PC wired and the PS3 wireless. Looking forward to the difference. Thanks for the info.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #10 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 AM

If the wireless ethernet bridge didn't help than the only option is to run ethernet cable.

Those powerline ethernet adpaters might also be another possibilty. However the performance will greatly depend on the electrical wiring conditions in your home.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Where I live, the top speed I can get is 2mbs and it is insaly expensive.
I have 768kbs at home, but it's not bad for online gaming. I don't have lag.
In MW2,..I always get 3 bars.
22mbs must be heaven lol!
post #12 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM

My PS3 Fat 60GB was a shoddy performer on wireless, no matter what combo of tweaks I did on my router and unit itself. One thing that helped quite a bit was hard coding my DNS servers, but not tremendously and I honestly chalk it up to voodoo, but the Fat model always underperformed via wireless for me.

My PS3 Slim on the other hand, has been an excellent wireless performer out of the box with zero tweaks or adjustments on either end (I didn't even reserve it an IP and disabled all the rules I set up for the old unit). This includes a lot of gaming, downloading demos and streaming NetFlix. No idea what exactly changed in the hardware, unit is in the exact same location, etc... but my slim performs like a champ via wireless.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_c_b View Post

My PS3 Fat 60GB was a shoddy performer on wireless, no matter what combo of tweaks I did on my router and unit itself. One thing that helped quite a bit was hard coding my DNS servers, but not tremendously and I honestly chalk it up to voodoo, but the Fat model always underperformed via wireless for me.

My PS3 Slim on the other hand, has been an excellent wireless performer out of the box with zero tweaks or adjustments on either end (I didn't even reserve it an IP and disabled all the rules I set up for the old unit). This includes a lot of gaming, downloading demos and streaming NetFlix. No idea what exactly changed in the hardware, unit is in the exact same location, etc... but my slim performs like a champ via wireless.

I've always used wired,..till just recently. I moved to a new aparment and how it is ditribuited,..I didn't want to run a cable from the ps3 to the router.
Being using wireless with the slim and it works great.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM

is there really a difference between wireless performace between the slim and fat? come on .... objectively speaking ... different hardware?
post #15 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdoc View Post

is there really a difference between wireless performace between the slim and fat? come on .... objectively speaking ... different hardware?

I believe in some of the leaked FCC documents that there were some changes to the wireless hardware. how much of a change I cannot tell you but I will concur that my wireless connection now in never anything less than 100% signal when on my phat it would range from 92-98% quite regularly.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #16 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I'm as skeptical as you are (I even called some of my actions voodoo, makes no sense as a technical person), but I can tell you my slim performs admirably via wirless while my fat 60gb was awful.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #17 of 19 Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Objectively speaking, many including me have had a noticeable increase in wireless performance when going from the original version to the slim, both in signal strength and speed. My best guess and logic would say it's due to different hardware, possibly a better card installed, different placement internally, etc. I haven't researched if any change was implemented.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Where's a good place to test speed on the PS3? I'm pretty sure I get more than 4mbps on my wireless 60GB

Do you have your PS3 in the DMZ on your router?
post #19 of 19 Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

Where's a good place to test speed on the PS3? I'm pretty sure I get more than 4mbps on my wireless 60GB

Do you have your PS3 in the DMZ on your router?

You can always open the internet browser on the PS3 and go to a site like speedtest.net to see if it maxes out your internet connection.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page