Install original Fallout 3 with GOTY edition DLC, more stable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the original Fallout 3 and I want to add the DLC from the GOTY edition because GOTY edition is currently cheaper than buying the DLC from the PSN Store. But many gamers said GOTY edition keeps freezing up. So, if I can only "install" DLC from the GOTY edition with the original edition game data, maybe the game will be more stable if I start the game from the original edition disc.

Fallout 3 does the background game data installation which leads many gamers to believe the game doesn't install to the hard drive. My thought is if I install the original Fallout 3 edition data to the hard drive which is 4.1GB. Does the GOTY only install the DLC data to the hard drive?

That is the reason I'm asking anyone who has both original and GOTY editions if GOTY will only install the DLC data if original edition game data is already on the hard drive. Or if the GOTY edition will install the game data over the original edition on the hard drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM

Liked: 832
Don't worry about it.

The game will sometime hang, but just press the PS button and wait, it'll eventually come back. I only had it really freeze twice in 60 hours of play.

Also, if it starts running slow, quitting out to exit the game and relaunching it will fix most issues for a few hours worth of play.

The only place it consistently does freeze is the mothership zeta launch point. Easiest way around that is to just save on the edge of the spaceship crater, exit the game, launch the game, and jump down to the ship.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Don't worry about it.

The game will sometime hang, but just press the PS button and wait, it'll eventually come back. I only had it really freeze twice in 60 hours of play.

Also, if it starts running slow, quitting out to exit the game and relaunching it will fix most issues for a few hours worth of play.

The only place it consistently does freeze is the mothership zeta launch point. Easiest way around that is to just save on the edge of the spaceship crater, exit the game, launch the game, and jump down to the ship.

You must be lucky the GOTY edition didn't glitch as much as many other Fallout 3 gamers said in other forums.

The thing about games that are known to have many glitches is there isn't a way to guarantee that the next gamer isn't going to see as many glitches. I have played certain games that have known to freeze a lot but I didn't see any throughout the gameplay.

I was hoping to be able to install the original edition game data to the hard drive with GOTY edition DLC because it could be more stable which is the reason I created this post ask if anyone has tried it.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Oh it glitched, but that's what were left with. The work arounds work.

pretty sure the GOTY edition is a separate "Game". Think I've seen that it even installs a different trophy list when inserted. So I don't think what you're proposing will work, nor do I think it matters. From what I've heard, even the regular edition + DLC has the same issues. Anyone telling you different probably has one or the other and not both.

Either way, yes it's glitchy, but the reports of it being completely broken are BS. You just need patience and need to know about waiting for it to come back from what appears to be a freeze, but isn't, glitch and the restart the game after a few hours play thing.

I've got the plat and 100% on the DLC, so I had to deal with the issue and used the workarounds just fine.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
I was able to get the platinum trophy but was unable to 100% the dlc on the GOTY version because it wouldnt play anymore...in the airfield it got so laggy that it froze solid. The PS button trick (that previously worked without fail if u gave it time to snap out of the lag) no longer got me thru the lag/freezes at that point. Reloading didnt even work. It just loaded into a frozen state.

I didnt notice any problems until over half way through the game, & once i started finishing up the DLC. But as my save file got larger it got worse (way worse). Then it became TOTALLY unplayable. So i would say its not BS that it could be completely broken because it happened to me.

Mind you i had a huge save file & put over 100 hrs into the game. I feel i got my moneys worth & if it were any other game i would have surely wanted to snap the disc in half, but i loved it so much that i sat thru the problematic moments & kept playing until the game would not allow me to.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are Karma level trophies also glitchy? I'm playing the original edition with patch 1.06.

The way I unlocked the good, neutral and evil karma trophies for level 4, 8, 14 and 20, is play the game as good karma. Before reach the level for the karma trophies, I have a saved game. On level 4 and 8, I unlocked the good karma trophies first, load the saved game before the level change, kill some people to drop to neutral karma to unlock the trophy and repeat. But when I got to level 14, I unlocked the neutral and evil karma trophies first. But when I loaded the saved game before level 14 and played as good karma until level 14, the trophy refused to unlock. Same thing as level 20 karma trophies.

It seems the trophy will glitch is if neutral and evil karma trophies are unlocked first, the good karma trophies cannot be unlocked. Once evil, can never be good again?

I originally rented Fallout 3 in Feb. 2009 after the trophy patch came out. The Scientific Pursuit trophy also didn't unlock. From what I read, the trophy has a glitch if I don't play through the chapter in specific order as of where I go first. I went to Jefferson Memorial first before the Rivet City which will cause the trophy to glitch.

It seems GOTY edition has freezing bug. The original edition with the latest patch still has trophy glitches.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM

I only played as good, then the did the reverse game save thing, so no clue.

That's was the other suggestion I forgot, you might want to use a earlier [smaller] game save for the DLC.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I unlocked the good karma trophies for Level 14 and 20 after I reloaded a saved game on Level 13 and 19 with about 100 XP left to reach the next level. I also have to complete some tasks that added good karma.

What I think the level trophy glitch was my good karma was just slightly above neutral because if I kill one person, the karma will go to neutral. So, the level trophy must have saw the good karma as neutral karma until I increased the good karma higher for the good karma level trophies to unlock.

It's one of those glitch that not everyone will see.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page