Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207

Scoring a near perfect 39/40 from Famitsu in Japan, the game is due out this Tuesday, September 11, 2012. Those who pre-order get an awesome bundle of goodies, although all of it will be offered for free a few months down the line (along with more free characters and stages):

GameSpot:
- Big Bikini Bundle with over 100 swimsuits
- PSN Tempest Theme
- Snoop Dogg Stage
- Early Access to Kunimitsu, Ancient Ogre, Michelle Chang and Angel

Best Buy or Amazon:
- Big Bikini Bundle with over 100 swimsuits
- Snoop Dogg Stage
- Early Access to Michelle Chang and Angel

~~~

Here's a great combo video showing off the versatility of customized juggles:

Check out this top-tier post at NeoGAF which goes over the entire game features in detail.

For one, there is the inclusion of the World Tekken Federation online system (video link). With this FREE service, you and your friends can make an online club (up to 100 members) to battle other clubs. It stores your matches so you can analyze your game. Also it has a feature which tracks all of your fighting stats, down to how much you use each move for each character.

For beginners, there is a detailed practice mode AND Fight Lab to go over the details with you. Finally, here are three official tutorial videos for those who need to learn how the game system works.

Beginner / Intermediate tutorial videos (Click to show)

PART I

PART II

PART III

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember playing the original in the arcade, I can't wait for this. Hope it lives up to all the hype.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lol at the idea this game wont come to consoles....

OF COURSE it will come to Xbox 360 and PS3 eventually as every single tekken game gets released for a console before long
post #4 of 18 Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

At a major fighting game tourney this weekend in SoCali, the director of the game showed some early test footage of TTT2's engine (none of the visuals are final) and explain some of the ideas they are kicking around for tag team mayhem:

post #5 of 18 Old 12-24-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Clean new footage of Tekken Tag 2, which also reveals the first female wrestler in the series as well as a young Heihachi:

Four minute preview of the Japanese arcade edition:

CG intro featuring the original theme of TTT1!

post #6 of 18 Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The game is now out in Japan. The biggest new innovation for the game are Tag Assault combos. Check out this sick collection of 'em in this video :

post #7 of 18 Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Namco has released a few preview videos of the console version of TTT2, due out September 2012:

English Trailer:

Fight Lab (enhanced practice mode):

Tag throw compilation:

There will be over 50 characters in this release, surpassing the 45 found in the arcade. No, Namco won't be offering DLC characters unlike that garbage, on-disc $$$ DLC stunt that Capcom pulled with SFxTekken to get everyone upset.

Combot and Violet have been confirmed. Speculation suggests that other missing characters could be included, like Kunimitsu (one of my TTT favorites), Aztec Ogre, Michelle, Dr. Bosconovich, a playable Unknown, and possible palette swaps like Alex, Prototype Jack and Miharu.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The first post has been edited with all of the latest cool information on this game. It releases next Tuesday!

post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
How many levels are there for Combot? I got past the PITA stage 3 last night.

What characters do you recommend for a new player? I liked Lili in SFxT so started using her.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lili is fine as a newbie character. Some of her stuff changed from Tekken 6 if you are looking at old strategy material, but a lot of it will be similar.

Also, in case it is too daunting to learn to characters this early, you might be interested in the fact that Lili's butler Sebastian is confirmed to be released as a free DLC character next month. He maintains a lot of her T6 stuff that they changed/removed from Lili in TTT2. Having them both on the same team may make it easier to stay focused on learning the overall game system while still being able to do the cool tag-related stuff (you can also go solo as well).

Other good characters for beginners include:

- Leo... she has elaborate and damaging juggles, and her ground game mixup ability (between lows and mids) is strong.

- Paul… the classic no frills character has some high level techniques that can be ignored early on as you stick with mixing up throws and his low sweeping string with his extremely powerful Deathfist (fireball motion + right punch).

- Miguel… he is a surprisingly effective poker with his left uppercut, which sets up a lot of his offense. He has decent range and a brawler technique that is easy to follow.

-Bob… the fat guy is pretty nimble. His range with his hop kick, belly attack, and leg sweep allows him to easily punish whiffed (missed) attacks from opponents who are a distance away.

-Asuka… she seems to be pretty popular with new players. Although she is not too fast, she has fun pre-programmed attack strings that can confuse other early players pretty easily. She also possesses a ton of great defensive tools, like reversals and attacks that punish as she jumps over low attacks (called “low crush” moves) or creeps up under high attacks (called “high crush” moves).

- Lars… he excels at punishing blocked and whiffed attacks while he keeps his aggressive attack flow going. A really powerful character once you get used to his style.

When all the free DLC characters come out, there will be about 60 fighters to choose from in total. That means that there are more options for you to choose from beyond this list.

Most of the others are intermediate to advanced, but the only ones that are extremely complex to new players are Hwoarang, Lei, Yoshimitsu, Zafina, Xiaoyu, Eddy/Christie/Tiger (all are tactically tricky to fully understand because of multiple stance changes), and the Mishima characters including Heihachi, Kazuya, Devil Jin, and Angel (it is technically difficult to control their command input requirements for new players).

With all that said, choose whoever appeals to you. Any of them can be learned with practic as long as you are having fun. As for the Combot question, that's the one mode I haven't played yet (Fight Lab).

post #11 of 18 Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Picked this up today.

Pleasantly surprised all around. Looks great. Feels great. Lots of content.

I'm definitely rusty, though. I was hoping some of my SC5 skills would carry over. Going online is deadly. And, man, I forgot how fast Tekken is. Air combos. Air combos. Air combos.

Also, anyone else having trouble finding ranked matches? I can find player matches no problem, but ranked ones take a very long time, even when I open the search parameters completely. Is the online population that low? Or is that just shoddy matchmaking?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #12 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The online population is strong. The ranked matchmaking system will be one area confirmed for improvement (quicker connects) with the October 9th patch & DLC release. With that said, there are people with over a thousand ranked matches under their belt already and many with hundreds. So until it is patched, it still works well enough to get a lot of fights in.

post #13 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The online population is strong. The ranked matchmaking system will be one area confirmed for improvement (quicker connects) with the October 9th patch & DLC release. With that said, there are people with over a thousand ranked matches under their belt already and many with hundreds. So until it is patched, it still works well enough to get a lot of fights in.
Part of it might be the time I'm looking (late night East Coast). But I can find player matches within 30secs to a minute. Ranked matches can take minutes. Good to know it's an acknowledged problem. And I've only run into one rage quitter so far. Hopefully a sign of a more mature audience.

Regardless, loving the game. I have a lot of catching up and re-learning to do.

I really like the tutorial, especially that it ranks you and encourages you to replay it (to get money to unlock moves and aim for higher scores). I just wish there was a bit more tutorial levels. I feel like I've got those basics down. I'd love it if there were something like in the latest BlazBlue games where there are also individual tutorial sequences for each character. It's something that really needs to be fixed in most fighters where learning move sets involves going into menus and navigating in and then back out too much. I could always write them down, print them out, or get a book, but that seems to defeat the purpose of a good tutorial/training mode.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I haven't even gone online yet. It's all ghost battle for me to try to get a feel for the game.

How does ghost battle work? Is it just downloading names and character costumes, or some sort of play style approximation as well? I vaguely remember hearing that way back Tekken 5 for PSP downloaded ghosts with play style information.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I haven't even gone online yet. It's all ghost battle for me to try to get a feel for the game.
How does ghost battle work? Is it just downloading names and character costumes, or some sort of play style approximation as well? I vaguely remember hearing that way back Tekken 5 for PSP downloaded ghosts with play style information.
Not sure. That's the one mode I haven't spent much time with. I don't quite get what sets it apart from the other offline modes. But I doubt it can do much with an actual player's "playstyle." Nice idea, but I'm just not sure how that could actually translate.

Besides, I'm having a hard enough time just finishing the game against the computer in arcade mode!

post #16 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yeah, ghosts are designed to copy certain tactics and juggles used by the players that they are named after. It won't be a perfect replication of course; for instance advanced players often like to bait whiffs by intentionally missing quick recovering moves, parrying or evading your retaliation before punishing you - the A.I. doesn't do that - but I'm pretty impressed with the combos and moderate custom poke strings the computer does at the tougher difficulties.

Ghost battles are great for offline workouts when you know exatly what you are trying to get out of it to improve. For instance, I spend a TON of time in practice mode developing my own combos and learning how to defend common setups from other characters. I then go to Ghost battles with the settigs on easy so I can spam my juggles against different characters (size affects some coombos) and in different stage areas so I can adjust on the fly to wall distances.

I also play Ghost battles on a harder difficulty and focus solely on defense; breaking throws, blocking or "crushing" (hop over and attack) lows, sidestepping canned strings, creating space and punishing whiffs, etc. This has helped me a lot when my buddies and I get together for some intense matches. It is a great, great mode, plus you earn a ton of gear for your character that is not available in the store if you fight all of the Gold opponents when they come up.

~~~

BTW, to a point I made above, anyone who wants to improve in this game should be in Practice mode as much as they are in vs. mode. Besides being able to easily practice combos, the real benefit from it is with the Record function under Defensive Training section. You can make up to five separate recordings of you manually inputting the moves of any opponent you choose (i.e. Kazuya executing a jab followed by a Hellsweep into an uppercut). You then simply playback a recording (it will repeat infinitely) while you defend against what you inputted while using your main team. In the example above, after blocking Kaz's jab, you can sidewalk left and punish his Hellsweep as it misses you (whiffs).

This is sooooooo valuable because you will know what you can do to punish (the game tellls you when your attack is guaranteed on block) or evade whatever attack strategy your foes are using against you. For instance, because of practice mode I know that I can sidestep/sidewalk to my left and punish almost any attack Steve has out of his Peek-a-Boo stance (PAB). He is able to lock your character down with different rush down patterns if you simply stand there and try to guess, so even if he hits me with the PAB low poke, it doesn't prevent me from dodging his next PAB attack by going left, so I regain the advantage.

Another example of the incredible possibilities with Practice mode is for help breaking throws. You can use three recordings for example of first Heihachi grabbing you first with the left throw, second with the right throw, and third with his "both hands" headbutt throw. With these three recorded, you can have the CPU attempt them all randomly as you practice your escape.

Now, to escape grabs in Tekken, you will want to look at the opponent's arms to know what he/she is attempting. If Heihachi's left hand is reaching out further than the right, he is using his left throw attempt so you need to press your left punch button ([] on the PS3, or "1" in Tekken talk) to get out of it. Press your right punch button (/\, or "2" in Tekken talk) if you see his right hand stretching out further. If both arms are coming at the same legnth, you press both punches to escape ([]+/\ simultaneously, or 1+2 in Tekken talk). You have a little more than 1/6th of a second to break most throws after an opponent actually grabs you (13 frames to be exact), so it does require some invested time to get halfway decent at it.

Once you are comfortable at at least attempting a throw break in the alloted time, you will have more confidence in being able to simply stand and block when being attacked, which in turn means you are launched for powerful juggle far less often. That's what defensive success in Tekken often comes down to.... blocking mids (while punishing them accordingly), "seeing" and properly responding to slow, powerful lows (block and launch, or hop over and launch), and breaking throws on reaction.

Practice mode, especially the record function, helps in all of these areas and so much more. Make sure you use it!

post #17 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Helpful stuff, joe. Thanks. I've used the record mode in other fighting games, but never found them especially helpful. Mostly because 2D games are much more limited in space, so there's only so much repeating a string that can be done before you run out of space. Hadn't considered that it's much more useful in a 3D fighter.

And throw breaks are killing me. Not sure if it's just slowed reflexes or if I'm just out of practice in recognizing opponents' "tells." I'll definitely keep at it.

post #18 of 18 Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The game is released on PSN today as a full download, and it is also $10 less than retail. Alongside it is a ton of free DLC released today , including the pre-order content, made available for everyone:

- 7 characters (Dr. Boskonovitch, Unknown and Violet, Ancient Ogre, Angel, Michelle Chang, and Kunimitsu)
- Snoop Dog stage
- 100+ bikini/swimwear outfits

Also, the ranking servers have been cleared of cheaters who boosted their character levels; they have been detected and banned. Again, it's great to see a company putting forward their best efforts for the customers.

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page