Sports Champions: a top-tier gaming experience with the Move - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 148 Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Welcome to the forums! I know what you mean about the sweat factor. I just got out of the shower after playing more TT. I have all triple stars for Bronze, Silver and a few of the Gold. It's getting tougher though...

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Welcome to the forums! I know what you mean about the sweat factor. I just got out of the shower after playing more TT. I have all triple stars for Bronze, Silver and a few of the Gold. It's getting tougher though...

TT is very difficult for me. Gold is really tough - forget about getting 3 stars on every level, I'm just trying to win. My backhand keeps killing me with me returning too hard one way or another. I've had success keeping the paddle pointed down at all times kind of like I do in real TT.
post #93 of 148 Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

TT is fantastic. I'm getting really comfortable with my volley skills in this game. There were a few intense sequences where we were just throwing flaming power bombs back and forth non-stop before the ball finally dropped - I felt like I was in one of those Chinese TT tournament videos . I've 3-starred every opponent in the Gold Cup so far except I recently lost a few close ones to Kenji at the end. By forcing myself to replay every 1-star and 2-star victory, it has sharpened my overall abilities as I face the next opponent.

General tips: each opponent has his/her play style and weaknesses. Look at their profile for general hints before a match. Play enough and you will start to see openings while anticipating how to guard against their best attacks.

I'm 6-ft, so maybe my long arms helps me a bit but I like to stay on the mid left side of the table where I can backhand if I need to while stretching to reach table edge shots hitting the right side without lunging too much.

My backhand is solid since I don't try to add too much force when I have to use it. I focus on keeping the ball in play rather than power and placement, though I can add some heat if I am comfortably ahead.

One of the key things to work on is attacking the net for power controlled shots or knowing when to back away to guard against fiery spike returns. Even when the opponent is adding crazy spin to the ball, you can generally see their arm motion to predict what type of shot is coming at you before they actually hit the ball. Be aware that they can fake a power shot and just dribble it over the net - but that is usually character specific (i.e. Kenji).

I limit myself to one or two TT sessions a day since my shoulder healed up. I don't want to overdo it again, and plus I need to save energy for Gladiator. A final thought - it's still hard to believe how much you end up sweating after these two games. BTW, as inspiration for any of you getting beat like Kenji did to me, here's an awesome sequence from the real game:

post #94 of 148 Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
That whole, corkscrew in from 40' is insane.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #95 of 148 Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sports Champions Halloween DLC is coming up, with three new characters and skins for gear:

Quote:

Full contents of the Haunted Pack:

Characters:
Deadmund
Numbskull
Specter

Equipment:
Disc Golf - Phantom Disc Set
Bocce - Skull Bocce Set
Table Tennis - Phantom Paddle
Gladiator Duel - Skeleton Sword/Shield
Archery - Skull Bow
Volleyball - Skull Ball

post #96 of 148 Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally beat champions cup of Bocce Ball. Now working on Gold Cup of disc golf. I'm on the final 12 hole match and she ain't missing. I'd get a decent start only to watch her make a 250ft eagle shot. I can't imagine Champions Cup.

An NO, I wouldn't like to try and "easier opponent"!!
post #97 of 148 Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ I hate that message. I wish you could turn it off. The first God of War had it too and I hated it then as well.

Congrats on your progress. Are you going for 3-stars in Bocce or just completing all of the stages first? While I don't proceed in TT until I can 3-star an opponent, for now I'm fine with 2-stars in Bocce. I'll go back later for cleanup when I get the final cup. BTW, I recently found a new tactic in it that so far seems to give me the best chance to win handily:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When possible, I'm trying to throw the Palino on the side on the side of an obstacle where the opponent's tossing hand can't easily reach from the centered throwing area. For instance, against a left handed opponent I use the O button to slide to my right and throw the Palino to the right of a stone or something like that. The opponent doesn't slide to reposition itself, so it's left hand must make an awkward attempt to get close while I have a direct line of sight being all the way to the right.

As for Disc Golf, one thing I'm not caring for is how they classify some holes as Par 3 when there is no way you can get a hole in one. Every Par 3 hole in real golf is HiO-able, but the massive size of some obstacles and the twisting winding paths of some P3s in this game makes it impossible even if technically the distance is in range.

I'll have to get back to it though since I'm still in the Silver Cup stages. It's fun despite that one issue I have with it.

post #98 of 148 Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

As for Disc Golf, one thing I'm not caring for is how they classify some holes as Par 3 when there is no way you can get a hole in one. Every Par 3 hole in real golf is HiO-able, but the massive size of some obstacles and the twisting winding paths of some P3s in this game makes it impossible even if technically the distance is in range.

I'll have to get back to it though since I'm still in the Silver Cup stages. It's fun despite that one issue I have with it.

Yeah, it seems every par 3 that's in the "mountain" course is pretty much impossible.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #99 of 148 Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also stuck on the last hard game in Gold Frisbee Golf. Soooo hard but so fun to try to beat her even though we get super pissed.

The new DLC is HUGELY important. Not only does it show us that they are able and willing to do DLC, but it's also only what, a month after the game came out? Awesome. And the Spectre looks sooooo badass.
post #100 of 148 Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Been playing a lot of SC Disc Golf and trying to get out a few times in the last few weeks to play for real.

Playing 18+ holes a day on the PS3 has definitely helped improve my short game for real. I was out hitting the chains/basket pretty consistently from 80+ feet earlier this week.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #101 of 148 Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Just unlocked Umrog last night!

Also FINALLY beat the first level (windmill) of Champion Cup Bocce. What a pain in the ass!
post #102 of 148 Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Been playing a lot of SC Disc Golf and trying to get out a few times in the last few weeks to play for real.

Playing 18+ holes a day on the PS3 has definitely helped improve my short game for real. I was out hitting the chains/basket pretty consistently from 80+ feet earlier this week.

Never really got into this sport.....not even sure why I started playing it on the Move...but I love it. Who knew the Move could get you interested in sports you never really cared about. Maybe after a weekend of John Daly Pro Stroke....I'll be ready to give the PGA Tour a shot.....NOT!
post #103 of 148 Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

Never really got into this sport.....not even sure why I started playing it on the Move...but I love it. Who knew the Move could get you interested in sports you never really cared about. Maybe after a weekend of John Daly Pro Stroke....I'll be ready to give the PGA Tour a shot.....NOT!

You're in a prime area for disc golf. The Carolinas are prime. Michigan is strong too (I'm a little biased) and Cali is great.
post #104 of 148 Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paerley View Post

You're in a prime area for disc golf. The Carolinas are prime. Michigan is strong too (I'm a little biased) and Cali is great.

Keep taunting me...I love it

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #105 of 148 Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee K View Post

Just unlocked Umrog last night!

Also FINALLY beat the first level (windmill) of Champion Cup Bocce. What a pain in the ass!

I'm going to focus on Bocce w/Gladiator once I finish Table Tennis. I finally triple starred that punk Kenji in the Gold TT finals, and the challenge definitely gets tougher because I got wiped out by the robot boss. I'll have to figure out his weakness like the other characters (if he has one). Here's a video of some more great rallies in real life:

post #106 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Very impressed with this game and the Move implementation so far. But I just tried playing the first fight on bronze level gladiator and came away frustrated. The PS Eye is perched atop my TV and I calibrated the Move from the Accesory menu on XMB and within the game. But when i play (I have 2 controllers) I cannot seem to hit my opponent with my wooden club (stick?) I can bash my opponent with the shield and I can parry with my club/stick but I could not land a hit with the club if it was a 10 meter cattle prod.

Am I doing something wrong? I probably need rotator cuff surgery now too!
post #107 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the weapon hand not moving (but how is it parrying)? Is it going through the opponent (I haven't seen that)? Is it whiffing or not reaching?

post #108 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can bash, that sounds like you've got your shield controller trigger pulled down. I've never successfully struck someone while the trigger was down. Try releasing the trigger and swinging.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #109 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Weapon hand moves fine and tracks perfectly. I can parry perfectly. But it's as if I am a foot further away than i need to be. I guess you can say I am swinging and missing. I have tried stabbing/thrusting and jump attacks and just plain slicing and dicing. I have tried moving my own body closer to cam and using Move controller to try and get closer to my opponent. I have engaged the bonus hit meter (x button) on occasion but i still can't land a hit and this is the first fight!!

I am beginning to think I just need to win by parrying and bashing with my shield and perhaps in round 2 i get a better weapon.
post #110 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

If you can bash, that sounds like you've got your shield controller trigger pulled down. I've never successfully struck someone while the trigger was down. Try releasing the trigger and swinging.

so if my shield hand has the trigger down my weapon hand will not land hits?

i think i am keeping the trigger down all the time come to think of it....

So that is the solution?
post #111 of 148 Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good call Chris. That's the issue I'll bet. Unfortunately the game doesn't intuitively let people know about mechanics like thise one.

bsb: The game will not allow your weapon to make contact when you hold down the shield trigger even though you are still moving the weapon. Basically you are unable to actively block and actively swing simultaneously - the sword is instead in defense mode (for parries), not offense mode.

However you are allowed to passively block with your shield while attacking simply by moving the shield's control without holding its trigger. The negative of this is that your shield will break easier under punishment and you can't parry with your weapon.

post #112 of 148 Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Snipped from a forum member at NeoGAF, here's a really nice tip sheet for Gladiator:

Quote:

If you master the art of Parry then you won't need to block with your shield as much.

Basically, by parrying (deflecting or striking your opponents weapon) you can get a "free" heavy strike in on your opponent as long as their sword and shield aren't in the way.

When your opponent blocks your sword strike with a shield... and your sword arm is staggered by the block that is really the time when you need to block with your own shield arm because the AI usually strikes back. Otherwise, its almost always better to read your opponent attack and parry it.

Certainly at gold level it becomes harder and harder to "read" the opponent movement. Which leads to frantic blocking with shield. However, even then if you play against the computer AI enough times you will be able to read or predict their attacks and parry.

After you get parrying down well you will feel like a fencing master since they will attack, be deflected, and you strike them in the head.

Parrying can be done as simply as holding your sword out like a shield and deflecting or as complex as striking to interrupt their attack.

Its worth studying this if you like Gladiator and it really adds to the game fun.

post #113 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Has anyone gotten the 5000 points trophy for disc golf challenge mode? that one is going to be tough. Then again, last night was the first time I've played that mode.

BTW - disc golf challenge mode with two controllers is win!
post #114 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb View Post

Has anyone gotten the 5000 points trophy for disc golf challenge mode? that one is going to be tough. Then again, last night was the first time I've played that mode.

BTW - disc golf challenge mode with two controllers is win!

Yeah, I didn't realize it was on the actual challenge course so I got 5k+ on the first challenge level alone.

Definitely better with a single controller for aiming and getting that multiplier up.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #115 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't realize it was on the actual challenge course so I got 5k+ on the first challenge level alone.

WOW, that's amazing! Did you just really take your time to ensure you never missed?

Quote:

Definitely better with a single controller for aiming and getting that multiplier up.

good point. I was just spamming my throws with two controllers.
post #116 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The PSN Store has the reversed version of the 18 hole course in Disc Golf for $2.99. I guess they just switched the tees with the pins. For $3 it's worth it for me, especially since this was the main reason I picked up the Move.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #117 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hey, super noob question, how do you unlock characters in TT? I'm halfway through the silver cup and haven't touched the challenges yet, it's probably somewhere there but if you could satisfy my curiosity...

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #118 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought the reverse course as well. I can't stop playing Disc Golf! Although I find the challenge rounds... challenging! It took me forever to get the gold medal on the silver cup. I can't imagine getting 5000!

Do you guys typically aim for the time increase, or just keep going for the rings?
post #119 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb View Post

WOW, that's amazing! Did you just really take your time to ensure you never missed?

good point. I was just spamming my throws with two controllers.

Yeah, I always went red>green>blue so that I could get the highest multiplier on blue.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #120 of 148 Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Hey, super noob question, how do you unlock characters in TT? I'm halfway through the silver cup and haven't touched the challenges yet, it's probably somewhere there but if you could satisfy my curiosity...

I've only unlocked one secret character so far ... I had to play past the gold cup in TT.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page