What kind of USB extension do I need for wired controller? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a wired playstation 3 controller, and I need to know what kind of USB extension cable to get. Do I need a female to male one? Or just a normal one? I mean one end of it has to be the whole where the USB cable from the PS3 plugs into, and then the other end has to be the actual USB thing same as on the ps3 controller, to plug into the console. So what's that called? Normal USB extension cable or female to male or what?

Is this what im looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Foot-USB-2-0-E...5661981&sr=8-1

This more expensive one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1SHTSJSJQA89P

Is there any difference between the 2.0 one, the more expensive one, and the less expensive one?

Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 AM

Liked: 93
Please. Just please stop. You already have a thread devoted to your unreasonable fear of "teh wirelesses!!!1".
post #3 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You just need a USB extension cable like this or the one in your link;

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...oduct_Id=18082

You can usually get them in 6ft -15ft lengths, just plug the extension cable in the PS3 and plug the controllers cable in the other end of it.

2.0 is just the newest USB standard, any 2.0 rated extension cable will work just fine.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Please. Just please stop. You already have a thread devoted to your unreasonable fear of "teh wirelesses!!!1".

Actually that thread is about wired controllers. I only mentioned my reasoning for why I wanted a wired controller in passing so people wouldn't say "just use the six-axis dualshock wireless one. it works great." It was I guess you(?) and other posters who started making jokes and laughing about a serious subject because of your ignorance with specific regard to that subject, and derailed the topic until one or two posters finally were mature enough to just answer the question. Only because I am a kind soul, I sought to help even those laughing at me and making fun of what I was saying by posting evidence for what I was saying, in the hope that it would help you guys avoid potential health problems in the future, and because educating people about this is important. You never know it could turn out to save someone or their child from future health problems, because they read about it here, and decided to take some at minimum non-intrusive precautions. And I'm sorry I'm not an expert on USB extension cables. Now I know what to get so no one else need reply to this. Thanks for your help socio.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I know others and myself were being glib but we were making a valid point that you continue to ignore, and I'm still quite interesting in find the answer too.

If you are so concerned about the wireless controller, why aren't concerned about all the other wireless devices INCLUDING the very ps3 you have your controller plugged into?

Perhaps if you had a reasonable answer for this your question wouldn't seem so irrational to the majority of us.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #6 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Liked: 93
I'd still like to know why the obviously greater danger of cords running across the living room ready to trip and kill someone doesn't even register on your danger meter, but magical killer radio waves makes you run for the hills.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

As as a former toddler, former child, and former athlete, I have tripped my fair share. Never has it killed me.

To the other person, if you read my other topic, once someone told me the ps3's bluetooth is always on, I replied to the effect of 'well that's a problem. how do i turn it off?'

I didn't realize the ps3's bluetooth was always on, even when you use a wired controller. I assumed the controller activated it. It is a problem. I am trying to eliminate the wireless altogether, which apparently means i need to mod my ps3 and my xbox so that they both no longer have built in bluetooth.

Well, actually, my xbox 360 is first gen. It still uses wireless controllers, but it doesn't have airport. Is its bluetooth always on too or no?

But yes, it is a problem. Now you can stop being glib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I'd still like to know why the obviously greater danger of cords running across the living room ready to trip and kill someone doesn't even register on your danger meter, but magical killer radio waves makes you run for the hills.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wrap the ps3 in folio.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page