AVS Forum banner

YLOD after updating to 3.50 (Red Flashing Light)

4K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  George Montemayor 
#1 ·
I just updated my phat 40 GB to version 3.50 and about ten minutes later it died. All it does now is blink a red light. It will not turn on. I tried unplugging it for a while, no help. I also removed the Hard Drive and then reconnected, still nothing. I also have a phat 160 GB, which I did not update ( still at 3.41 and still working ) and want to know if there is a way to transfer my files from the dead 40 GB Hard Drive ( photos, music, videos, etc. ) I have a BD still inside that I do not know how to get out, too. Anyone else with this problem? It has to be a bug in the update. Any suggestions, please?

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/19332461

i don't think you can. even if you had a third ps3, you can only use a hdd for the ps3 that it was assigned to. and i'm not sure if there's any software out there that would allow you to extract the files using a pc.

That is sad news. My 160 GB PS3 is working fine with version 3.41. Is it a coincidence that my 40 GB died 10 minutes after I updated to 3.50 or is there really a problem with Sony's latest firmware update? Anyone having troubles with their phat PS3 and this update? Is there a way to go back to an earlier version? I do have 3.41 & 3.42 saved. Any ideas on how I can get it to turn on for just a little while so I can transfer my files??

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra7.0 /forum/post/19333688

That is sad news. My 160 GB PS3 is working fine with version 3.41. Is it a coincidence that my 40 GB died 10 minutes after I updated to 3.50 or is there really a problem with Sony's latest firmware update? Anyone having troubles with their phat PS3 and this update? Is there a way to go back to an earlier version? I do have 3.41 & 3.42 saved. Any ideas on how I can get it to turn on for just a little while so I can transfer my files??

Firmware don't have to do with the fact that your PS3 YOLDed. It's just a coincidence. Your PS3 overheated because it's thermal paste stopped doing it's effect, to much dust inside,....etc.

Is your saved files that important in your 40GB? if yes, there is videos on youtube.com to show you how. there are 6 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70Sg...eature=related

It might work for you. It did for me.

If it works, perform a backup.

Good Luck!

#5 ·
It's a coincidence. I've got a 40GB fatty on 3.5 and it's fine.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/19333717

Firmware don't have to do with the fact that your PS3 YOLDed. It's just a coincidence. Your PS3 overheated because it's thermal paste stopped doing it's effect, to much dust inside,....etc.

Is your saved files that important in your 40GB? if yes, there is videos on youtube.com to show you how. there are 6 parts.

Good Luck!

Great! Thank you. Yes, those files are important to me, so it looks like I will need to invest in a heat gun and take a chance. Is your PS3 still working? How long ago did you do it?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra7.0 /forum/post/19334472

It was really strange, 10 minutes after the update. I wish I did not do the update just to see it do the YLOD. I am a bit uneasy right now to update my other 160GB Fat PS3.

Just because the YLOD happened after the update doesn't prove causality. Every time there's an FW update someone gets a YLOD and blames the update. It was just your PS3's time to go.

Assume 1% of all PS3's out there will YLOD at some point during a year, that's 380,000 PS3's. That means 1041 PS3's will YLOD every day or about 43 an hour or 1 PS3 every 1 minute and 24 seconds.

Now, that's only 1% of all PS3's getting a YLOD each year and I don't know the actual rates, but assuming it's 1%, it seems likely that there would be a few that fail after every firmware update by sheer coincidence.

Now, if it failed the instant the firmware was installed, then you might have something, but 10 minutes later would point towards random death of a PS3.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/19333717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70Sg...eature=related

Good Luck!

Great! Thank you. Yes, those files are important to me, so it looks like I will need to invest in a heat gun and take a chance. Is your PS3 still working? How long ago did you do it?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra7.0 /forum/post/19334442

Yeah, mine lived I was able to turn it on just fine, till thieves broke into my house and stole my PS3 and many other stuff few months later,...

The amount of dust inside was terrible, while performing the repair, here is a good oppotunity to clean it up.

But just back up your saves and get a slim. There is no garranty it will last after the fix.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/19339253

Yeah, mine lived I was able to turn it on just fine, till thieves broke into my house and stole my PS3 and many other stuff few months later,...

The amount of dust inside was terrible, while performing the repair, here is a good oppotunity to clean it up.

But just back up your saves and get a slim. There is no garranty it will last after the fix.

Sorry to hear about the break-in. Thanks for the good advice. Doing a backup and getting a slim PS3 sounds like the best option.

So you have a slim PS3 now? Amazon has the slim 160GB for 299, sound right?

#17 ·
My launch 60GB PS3 has succumb. I try to turn it on and everything seems fine then it just turns off on its own and i get the red flashing light. I never see any yellow light but it wont allow me to turn the system on without it shutting down on its own right away and going into red flashing light mode.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra7.0 /forum/post/19332336

I just updated my phat 40 GB to version 3.50 and about ten minutes later it died. All it does now is blink a red light. It will not turn on. I tried unplugging it for a while, no help. I also removed the Hard Drive and then reconnected, still nothing. I also have a phat 160 GB, which I did not update ( still at 3.41 and still working ) and want to know if there is a way to transfer my files from the dead 40 GB Hard Drive ( photos, music, videos, etc. ) I have a BD still inside that I do not know how to get out, too. Anyone else with this problem? It has to be a bug in the update. Any suggestions, please?

it's not the firmware, it's the ps3. the 40 gig model was plagued with rlod and bd drive failures.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/19369177

My launch 60GB PS3 has succumb. I try to turn it on and everything seems fine then it just turns off on its own and i get the red flashing light. I never see any yellow light but it wont allow me to turn the system on without it shutting down on its own right away and going into red flashing light mode.

As horrible coincidence would have it, my launch 60gb appears to have just died about 15 mins ago with the same red flashing light.

I'm going to try a reflow tomorrow (at least so I can get my disc out of the drive and attempt some backups). I feel your pain. Of course, considering my PS3 has been running anywhere from 3-5 hours a day for the past 3 years straight, that's not a bad run!

I guess it's time for a Slim.

#22 ·
Just repaired a buddies YLOD launch 60GB with a Heat Gun. Success!!!! His was dirty. And to respond to MAXDAM77: Your right. For some reason Sony engineered this system with a large heatsink fed my a heat pipe array which isn't the problem. The actual smaller heatsinks that go on the GPU and CPU are not braced with screws or clamps giving a firm compressed union like on a PC. Real sad. so I can see where over time and use the array can separate. Even a 1mm separation of less can create enough of a gap to keep heat between CPU/GPU and heatsink. So disappointed in Sony.

Anyway, my buddy then copied all his saves to a flash drive and traded it in on a PS3 Slim. I think he got $130 for it.

#23 ·
Decided to just trade the f-er in as is rather than bother with the reflow. The Evil Gaming Pawnshop Empire will give me $75 for it. So I'm just going to buy a Slim and call Sony to have them deactivate my busted console remotely.

#24 ·
UPDATE: Wow. Sony must really have changed their customer support routine. It was super easy to deactivate my account from my consoles. Just called, told them my old system died, and gave them my account info. Took longer to wait on hold than to go through the actual process.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/19382857

UPDATE: Wow. Sony must really have changed their customer support routine. It was super easy to deactivate my account from my consoles. Just called, told them my old system died, and gave them my account info. Took longer to wait on hold than to go through the actual process.

What account information are you referring to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.