Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Guys with the old crap interface - Have you gone in to the Game Data and PS3 Save Game areas and deleted everything Netflix related? The disc was really just a key, with newer versions like the update that added search, being a download. I wouldn't be surprised if that download was still hiding on your harddrive somewhere, cached in one of the couple of data areas.

I would delete everything Netflix related in all of the user accessible areas then redownload the app.

Where do I look for those things. I've never used the disc. So the only thing I've ever had Netflix related on my PS3 was the icon that showed up on the Monday 10/18.

Already deleted and re-installed that with no success.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks... Wanted to chime in on these interface discrepancies, because I have also experienced the issue.

Yesterday, I downloaded the Netflix app from the XMB bar. When I first used it, it looked exactly like it did in all the preview screenshots and videos.

Fast forward to today, when I went into the app for the second time, and it now has this appearance:

So, this leads me to believe that whatever the issue is, it's on the server side. Couldn't tell you whether that'd be Sony or Netflix, though.

FWIW, I prefer the interface in all the screenshots and promo videos over the altered one.
post #273 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Chris did you do any firmware updates or anything else special to get the new-new version?

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #274 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Nope. Just turned my console off overnight. Woke up today, booted the Netflix app, and it was changed.
post #275 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yeah, it's weird how the interface can just change on you. My guess is they weren't fully prepared for it, and the "altered" one is being pushed down to some folks to help alleviate some load (it's probably not as server-intensive, perhaps).

It makes me wonder if the whole thing was rushed in order to beat the other systems (because I have no doubt the same thing will be announced for the 360 and probably Roku and other devices as well...within days or weeks. Particularly the 360...I would be very surprised if the 1080/5.1 wasn't part of the November update.

What I am more concerned about with the "crappy" look in my screenshot is there is no indicator of HD or 5.1 on anything. I'll have to try a title I know is HD to see what I get. I assume I'll still get the HD/5.1 sound, and it's just the look of the dash that's different.
post #276 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

I have no issue at all getting Dolby Digital + from my phat PS3.

My connection is HDMI from PS3 to receiver.

So what exactly does your receiver show? When my Denon receives DD+ from devices it shows up as "Dolby Digital + + Dolby Prologic IIx" on the display.

When just receiving DD it shows "Dolby Digital + Dolby Prologic IIx".

The PS3 fat is not supposed to be able to bitstream the advanced codecs. I know when I had a fat PS3, it would not bitstream any of the advanced codecs. It would only decode them and send as PCM.

Now a little while ago, I unchecked the dolby codecs and tried the Netflix streaming. The PS3 then transcoded the audio to DTS which was a surprise to me. I had to uncheck the DTS audio selections to get it to send PCM.
But either way, as soon as I check DD and DD+ the PS3 will only send DD from Netflix streaming, Not DD+. It is transcoding the DD+ to DD for some reason.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #277 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah, it's weird how the interface can just change on you. My guess is they weren't fully prepared for it, and the "altered" one is being pushed down to some folks to help alleviate some load (it's probably not as server-intensive, perhaps).

It makes me wonder if the whole thing was rushed in order to beat the other systems (because I have no doubt the same thing will be announced for the 360 and probably Roku and other devices as well...within days or weeks. Particularly the 360...I would be very surprised if the 1080/5.1 wasn't part of the November update.

What I am more concerned about with the "crappy" look in my screenshot is there is no indicator of HD or 5.1 on anything. I'll have to try a title I know is HD to see what I get. I assume I'll still get the HD/5.1 sound, and it's just the look of the dash that's different.

The biggest surprise was the Wii. Which also recieved disc-free Netflix streaming on the 18th. It could very well support your theory of the PS3's version being 'rushed'.

I agree with the crappy look.. but Im sure they will figure it out. If only Sony would upgrade the wifi in the newer slims to N and stream Pandora.. I would immediately buy a second PS3 for the bedroom. Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, Web Browser, PS3 media player (streams all my movies/music/media off my Macbook), BluRay playback, all with no extra wires ran!! For 299!! Sounds like a winner to me.

Oh and it plays game too..

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #278 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

The biggest surprise was the Wii. Which also recieved disc-free Netflix streaming on the 18th. It could very well support your theory of the PS3's version being 'rushed'.

I agree with the crappy look.. but Im sure they will figure it out. If only Sony would upgrade the wifi in the newer slims to N and stream Pandora.. I would immediately buy a second PS3 for the bedroom. Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, Web Browser, PS3 media player (streams all my movies/music/media off my Macbook), BluRay playback, all with no extra wires ran!! For 299!! Sounds like a winner to me.

Oh and it plays game too..

Why a surprise? The Microsoft exclusivity ran out. Which now allows the other game systems to embed the Netflix application. instead of having to use a disc.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #279 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

ACK! Can someone with the Nyko Blue-Wave IR thing tell me if their rewind and FF works? I can only pause and stop!

I might be buying that PS3 adapter thingy sooner rather than later. But why wouldn't it work? It works fine for Blu-Rays and DVDs and any other video I've watched on the PS3. Why is the Netflix app not allowing it to work?

Even though I have a crappy interface, I am watching The Kill Point (an 8 episode series which I started on the 360 a couple of days ago). It looks great, and is in 5.1. Don't notice an improvement in PQ over the 360, but didn't really expect to on my 50" plasma viewed from about 9'.

I am kindof frustrated about my inability to have the "new" app, as well as not being able to back out of the app (and apparently now not being able to FF and Rewind). I realize a $30-$40 investment for the adapter would at least clear up my remote issues. Just more mad I have to spend even more money to do that.
post #280 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Why a surprise? The Microsoft exclusivity ran out. Which now allows the other game systems to embed the Netflix application. instead of having to use a disc.

Because neither was officially announced. Nowhere did I read that the Wii was officially announcing disc-free Netflix streaming. And nowhere did I read MS exclusivity was ending. Sure you could take those things for granted.. but with the amount of BS speculation that goes on the gaming industry, I dont put much faith until something is officially announced.

The only official announcement I saw was that the PS3 was recieving disc-free Netflix streaming on Oct 18th. The Wii literally was a last minute surprise.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #281 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So what exactly does your receiver show? When my Denon receives DD+ from devices it shows up as "Dolby Digital + + Dolby Prologic IIx" on the display.

The PS3 fat is not supposed to be able to bitstream the advanced codecs. I know when I had a fat PS3, it would not bitstream any of the advanced codecs. It would only decode them and send as PCM.

Now a little while ago, I unchecked the dolby codecs and tried the Netflix streaming. The PS3 then transcoded the audio to DTS which was a surprise to me. I had to uncheck the DTS audio selections to get it to send PCM.
But either way, as soon as I check DD and DD+ the PS3 will only send DD from Netflix streaming, Not DD+. It is transcoding the DD+ to DD for some reason.

I'll check for you tomorrow. I recall being surprised it was sending DD+, so that's why I noticed.
post #282 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar View Post

I bought my PS3 in Taiwan (Region 3/Region A), and it won't run the Netflix app due to region restriction (I am in the U.S.). But it did work with the Netflix disc.

I wonder if the Netflix disc will continue to work, or if it will become disabled....

It's too bad the restriction is using the DVD region instead of the Blu-ray region, because I am in the correct Blu-ray region.

Someone on the PlayStation.com board says he talked to the creator of the Netflix app, and there will be an update in a few weeks that will enable it on foreign bought PS3s, provided you're using a US or Canadian IP address & PSN account.

Hopefully, that's true.
post #283 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Slow connecting tonight. Stopped to buffer mid show at least once.

My display looks like Daeqwans.

Minor issue, but yesterday daughter left off in the middle of the Princess and the Frog. Went back to it tonight, there was no resume playing option, had to start at the beginning and fast forward.

Still no circular queue.

How in blazes is everyone getting a different display if we all downloaded it the same way and place? Baffling.
post #284 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

ACK! Can someone with the Nyko Blue-Wave IR thing tell me if their rewind and FF works? I can only pause and stop!

I might be buying that PS3 adapter thingy sooner rather than later. But why wouldn't it work? It works fine for Blu-Rays and DVDs and any other video I've watched on the PS3. Why is the Netflix app not allowing it to work?

Even though I have a crappy interface, I am watching The Kill Point (an 8 episode series which I started on the 360 a couple of days ago). It looks great, and is in 5.1. Don't notice an improvement in PQ over the 360, but didn't really expect to on my 50" plasma viewed from about 9'.

I am kindof frustrated about my inability to have the "new" app, as well as not being able to back out of the app (and apparently now not being able to FF and Rewind). I realize a $30-$40 investment for the adapter would at least clear up my remote issues. Just more mad I have to spend even more money to do that.

I have the Harmony One with the NYKO, and I can rewind and FF, but not with the traditional ff and rewind buttons. The left and right directional buttons are rewind and ff for some reason. I rarely use the NYKO, as I have the PS3 BT remote. I'll have to play around with it some more. Maybe re-map some keys?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #285 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

Someone on the PlayStation.com board says he talked to the creator of the Netflix app, and there will be an update in a few weeks that will enable it on foreign bought PS3s, provided you're using a US or Canadian IP address & PSN account.

Hopefully, that's true.

I wrote the post on Engadget -- http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/n...eadaches-vide/

I talked to Netflix PR, they said the region lock would be fixed in an updated version in a month or so.
post #286 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
[quote=aaronwt;19360754]It doesn't bit stream it. It will decode it and send it out as pcm. The PS3 fat does not bitstream any of the advanced codecs which are DD+, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD HRA, and DTS-HD MA.[/QUOTE

The fat converts as you say, but even though the slim does bitstream advanced codecs are only capable by HDMI whether bitstream or PCM. It really shouldn't matter, if we were really getting DD+ the PS3 fat would decode it to PCM. I don't think the movies with DD+ are actually outputting more than DD 5.1. If it were we would be getting it.

Also remember people there is bitstreaming the movie, as in "downloading" and watching on the fly and the PS3 being able to bitstream audio codecs. Two different things. We should be able to have the audio as it is intended whether we bitstream or PCM the audio as long as it is HDMI.
post #287 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Follow up.

Why doesn't anyone of these CSR's from any company ever believe us from AVS when we claim we are more knowledgeable than most thanks to educating each other?

I was going to preface my call to netflix CS with telling her she can save her time by not explaining all what she is told to say from a script when asked a question, but I decided not to and tone down what comes across as arrogance, when it is actually confidence of knowledge. She said she owns a PS3 and that the CSR's are all well versed in the PS3 etc. Yeah right!!...She said the most Netflix is providing is 1080i and DD 5.1. UGH!! I told her that this is all so new to the PS3/Netflix that even she may not have all the info or answers related to it. Well, she didn't like that, but in her defense who does...

So as she went on I told her the fact that the PS3 with the new netflix App does do 1080p and is supposed to do DD+, but as of now it isn't showing DD + on our end. She went into saying about minimum of 8MB of download is required, yadda yadda, and even that might be iffy. She had NO knowledge of the PS3 thru netflix being 1080p capable or DD+. DUh as I was saying...we are that well versed. She asked if I could go to a particular title on the PS3 netflix app, which I did and told her. She went there and to her surprise, UGH!! it is as I said...again, why don't they believe us when we say we went there and looked. Granted they have a lot of callers who are the joe six pack types that are clueless, but come on...

I called back and got a CSR who spoke to Cameron, the person in charge of ALL the streaming. He said any titles that are currently 5.1 will all be upgraded to 5.1 DD+, yes ALL... and this is me speculating, but all titles that are showing DD+ are not yet streaming the + yet. The head honcho said only a few select titles have it, but I think none do as of yet regardless if it is listed as an audio option. I would surmise they will be working in DD+ soon. I am basing it on past experience of many web sites upgrading or changing their sites, but not having all features or products available yet.

If we get DD+, which is lossy and 1.5bit which we now know to the human ear is as good as lossless in placebo tests, and we are very close to BD quality with this 1080p streaming...something that we thought might be years off is here now and if this improves and they can get more people into broadband, Blu ray is going to be getting some stiff competition for those who could care less about owning the disc or even renting it.
post #288 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM

I see that engadget reviewed the many different versions of this app...and mine is different than them all.

Does anyone have this interface? I like it better than the ones posted on engadget.
post #289 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM

When I first downloaded the app yesterday morning my app was the same as the one Engadget has in the video. But ever since about 2pm yesterday I've had the stripped down interface more similar to the one shown in the first alternate screenshot. This is starting to piss me off and I hope a fix is found soon. Why release a buggy product?
post #290 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm jealous. My denon 3808 plays silence when the ps3 fat attempts a netflix 5.1 stream. No indicators light up on the denon to indicate which channels are in the input source. The ps3 should be outputting linear PCM as it does on blu-ray advanced codecs. Right? Argggh!

Heck, the denon even supports dd+ if the fat ps3 were actually capable of outputting the bitstream. Yet just silence results.

Am I the only person with this problem? I've seen a couple similar posts here and elsewhere. But none of those people have replied with additional info in an attempt to diagnose.
post #291 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 AM

I'd *much* rather have the one like harbong's, as long as it showed the HD/5.1 icons.

Here's the interface I have. Anyone else have this one?

and some pics (click it to see more):
post #292 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

I have the Harmony One with the NYKO, and I can rewind and FF, but not with the traditional ff and rewind buttons. The left and right directional buttons are rewind and ff for some reason. I rarely use the NYKO, as I have the PS3 BT remote. I'll have to play around with it some more. Maybe re-map some keys?

Ok, that works, if it's a bit clunky: I have to keep holding left or right down, and seems to be only one speed, although it's fast. Also, releasing the button makes it pause, requiring me to press "play" to resume.

It's odd they don't have FF and Rewind mapped to...I dunno...the FF and Rewind buttons. I could remap the remote, but the FF and Rewind buttons work fine for all the other videos (like DVD and BD and streaming from PlayOn). Unless I would specifically set up a new activity just for Netflix streaming on the PS3 (confusing the wife even more about how to run the setup).

I guess it's another annoyance/quirk I have to deal with if I stick with the Nyko, but realistically, it's looking like I'll have to spring for the Logitech adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbong View Post

I see that engadget reviewed the many different versions of this app...and mine is different than them all.
Does anyone have this interface? I like it better than the ones posted on engadget.

Where are all your genres? Or is that the square "categories" button I see in the top right beside search? I am getting a kick out of the 6 or so different interfaces people are seeing. WTH is going on there at Netflix/Sony, or whoever is in charge of this app?

I checked this morning (hoping less traffic might give me the new/correct app) but still seeing the alternate one....well, the alternate one I have been seeing.
post #293 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I use the Harmony PS3 adapter, which converts the IR command to Bluetooth. I used the Nyko solution before the adapter came out and while it worked well, I was somewhat annoyed that you had to do the on/off by hand. The adapter is one of the best investments I've made in my HT setup, well worth the money in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification. Although I think its a little overpriced, I just ordered the Harmony PS3 adapter. I use my PS3 for everything, and spending the money on something that just works and doesn't cause frustration makes sense.

Now if we could get the original GUI that was shown in all the demo videos, I'd really be happy. The version I have now is horrible. I wish Netflix or Sony would put out a statement letting us know whats going on.
post #294 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Pixelman mine looks exactly like yours when i pick something to watch.
post #295 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 AM

So in summary (re the different interfaces) it seems like there are FIVE different interfaces floating around??

1. The UI that was in all the previews and vid from the official Playstation blog (it also seems like this is the one that most people have). I have this.
(http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/)

2. The one that harbong has above which has the nav on the right hand side and video previews directly in the UI when rolling over titles.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8EN...layer_embedded)

3. The more "simple" one that pixelman has which is more like a straight directory navigation style.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLBn...layer_embedded)

4. The one shown in the engadget post which has full screen video browse capability directly accessible even while a video is shown.
(http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/n...eadaches-vide/).

5. Toografik4u's screen which is very similar to pixelman's but instead of having just a grid of selectable buttons, he has cover art displayed on the main screen.
(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19362902)
post #296 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM

mine is different than those 4. At least on the main screen. After selecting a category the browsing looks like pixelmans but my main screen is a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toografik4u View Post

PSN: Only-One-Haze
post #297 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Ack! I stand corrected: there are FIVE interfaces floating around. What the hell?
post #298 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

No there's not a 5th. what toografik4u is showing is the main page view of the version that I and pixelman and he have. the view that pixelman showed was once you go into the details of a selection you are on. The picture Pixelman used as his screen shot is not the main screen when it boots up.
post #299 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzderf View Post

Ack! I stand corrected: there are FIVE interfaces floating around. What the hell?

It's called market testing, and it's really not that uncommon (happens a whole lot with packaging, food, etc). It's just that with such a highly-anticipated rollout like this one, people are very quick to notice it. I'm sure they're collecting tons of analytics on exactly how quickly people seem to be able to find their way around the different versions, and whether certain features get used or not (the video browse feature comes to mind). There might be some elements from the sub-variations that will work their way into the main version with time.
post #300 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzderf View Post

Your not mistaken, 4 it is. toografik4u is just showing the the home screen for what Pixelman is showing (as category and movie selections). Ok. edit...my bad. Yes the home screen is different (that is what I have), but the deeper functions are just like pixlemans.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page