Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although the look of the NF UI changes a bit, depending on what choice I have highlighted, it looks essentially like the UI illustrated in the screenshot in Post #259. I watched Fat Man and Little Boy yesterday and it was excellent. The HD video was fine and it had subtitles, which worked well.

How do you activate the subtitles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblespresso View Post

Im sure there has to be a way to turn off the friend messages... any ideas.

These were not shown in the disc based mode.

Just finished up season 1 of Dexter, and have several more seasons that need some streaming.

Dexter season 1 has been available for quite some time without the following seasons, so i am not holding out hope that they show up.

I don't understand the "test market" answer. How exactly are they going ot gather data on which one people prefer? Those that complain the most?
post #333 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Dexter season 1 has been available for quite some time without the following seasons, so i am not holding out hope that they show up.

I don't understand the "test market" answer. How exactly are they going ot gather data on which one people prefer? Those that complain the most?

That's what I was wondering. if they were gathering data you would think there would be some kind of questionnaire.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #334 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They aren't necessarily measuring "preference", but rather most likely things like average time to accomplish a task and pauses on menu items that don't get selected (indicating that the user thought the item might be what they were looking for, but it wasn't), etc. A lot of UI testing is done via observation, and not direct questioning. In this case, the "observation" can be done by sending the timing data back to the server where it can then be analyzed in aggregate (thus negating the obvious outliers like the guy who spent 10 minutes on a button cos he took a phone call, etc). Of course, all of this is purely speculation on my part, but given the situation it makes perfect sense to me and is 100% doable.
post #335 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Seasons 1 and 2 are available to stream. 1-3 were available last year - I'd assume they will return in the next few months. Probably want to bait people into buying the new box set.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #336 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't really care about the UI since I can at least search, unlike on Viera. What does bother me a bit is the quality. I was hesitant on Netflix and was eyeing Vudu, until I read about this announcement and signed up right away. I know I shouldn't expect blueray quality but I just expected to be a bit more blown away. I just can't stand compression artifacts.
post #337 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Why isn't the 5.1 audio Dolby Digital plus as advertised?
post #338 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

How so? Did you check off Dolby digital in the PS3 sound options?

My receiver say DD.

EDIT- It's not all movies by the way.

home theater addict
post #339 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 204
As for the interface, i have one the PSblog showed. I really hope they keep that one. The only thing they should add to that is the brows while watching a movie the other version has. Thats seems like a cool feature.

Anybody have that version want to comment on it?

home theater addict
post #340 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentkv View Post

I don't really care about the UI since I can at least search, unlike on Viera. What does bother me a bit is the quality. I was hesitant on Netflix and was eyeing Vudu, until I read about this announcement and signed up right away. I know I shouldn't expect blueray quality but I just expected to be a bit more blown away. I just can't stand compression artifacts.

Unfortunately,there is no way around it....
To my eyes,the compression is no worse than what I get from my Dish Net HD signal.
post #341 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

So how do i find a video which is 1080p or i and 5.1 audio .. are all videos 5.1 encoded?? I tried cpl of HD videos from Nat Geo yesterday and didnt get 5.1 , the source was still 2 channel. And somehow whatever HD I m playing looks real crappy and no where near HD channels over cable or Blu ray discs.. Though I have a TV that plays 720p I can still see the difference between bluray discs and netflix stream. Netflix looks pretty crappier for some reason and I tried atleast 5-6 videos.

I find most shows look crappy right when they start, but then get substantially better after the first minute or two, either it's a dynamic compression whereby they're able to increase quality as more of it get's buffered, or whether it's a strategy of using more compression in the beginning to allow it to start playing faster with less buffering, it's definitely noticeable. On movies where I want the full experience I just put the Blu-ray in my queue, but I like the streaming for watching "The Office" and things like that. The quality seems better than the HD titles on On-Demand, but not as good as most HD shows on regular cable. And of course, not as good as Blu-ray...

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #342 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Ok, that works, if it's a bit clunky: I have to keep holding left or right down, and seems to be only one speed, although it's fast. Also, releasing the button makes it pause, requiring me to press "play" to resume.

It's odd they don't have FF and Rewind mapped to...I dunno...the FF and Rewind buttons. I could remap the remote, but the FF and Rewind buttons work fine for all the other videos (like DVD and BD and streaming from PlayOn). Unless I would specifically set up a new activity just for Netflix streaming on the PS3 (confusing the wife even more about how to run the setup).

I guess it's another annoyance/quirk I have to deal with if I stick with the Nyko, but realistically, it's looking like I'll have to spring for the Logitech adapter.

yeah, it's very fast with ff and rewind. Way better than "On Demand" from Comcast. I always have thought about getting the Logitech adapter, but I really don't mind using the BT Sony remote for the PS3 only. Plus, I got it for $15.00 from the Circuit City closeout. I still might get the adapter at some point because another issue with the NYKO is that it's steals the 1st controller slot quit often, and I have to go into the controller setting to change it. I should just disconnect the NYKO, as I rarely use it anymore. It was cheap though..$10.00.

I'll tell you, this streaming has worked out great for my family. Most, if not all movies my 8 yr.old daughter currently wishes to see are available thru streaming. It's a blessing not to have to wait for her movies to arrive in the mail. And my wife has been watching 30 Rock episodes alot. If I can keep those two happy "on demand" it's a good thing. I should have changed my old Netflix plan to a streaming plan a long time ago.

Here is a video clip of the interface I see, and I have no problems with it. It reminds me of the online interface. This is what I see when I start the app.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #343 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
D_M

Liked: 17
What program produced 5.1 in Netflix? I haven't be able to find one as yet.
post #344 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

the NBC tv shows like 30 rock and at least a couple seasons of the office are in 5.1
post #345 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM

I have the exact same UI as tingham. I think that's probably as close as it's gonna get to the one on Engadget. So I guess I'll just shut up and be satisfied now. Everything else seems to work as advertised. Just wish I could do the previews and check out the Queue while watching a movie...
post #346 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
well! I have a slim, upgraded yesterday to disc less. So far running flawless.

I started a HD with dd plus, movie started as sd and became xhd in 1 min or so. Audio was dd ex on my 3808ci receiver. Ps3 is set to bitstream. I was wondering, who and how you guys are seeing dd plus on your receivers?

Thanks
post #347 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I started a HD with dd plus, movie started as sd and became xhd in 1 min or so. Audio was dd ex on my 3808ci receiver. Ps3 is set to bitstream. I was wondering, who and how you guys are seeing dd plus on your receivers?

Thanks

no one has reported actually to have gotten DD plus.

I'm getting DD plx , when I should be getting pcm PLx from my fat ps3 to my hdmi receiver.
post #348 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

Read my post a couple of pages back
post #349 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Quick question...I have the basic interface with no video browsing, but I noticed that the version number of the Netflix app is listed on the XMB if you hit Triangle when it is not running and go to information. Mine says version 2.00. What does everyone else have?
post #350 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I heard from netflix. that they are working to get the dolby digital plus to work. it might take a while.

Jacob
post #351 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimsteel View Post

Quick question...I have the basic interface with no video browsing, but I noticed that the version number of the Netflix app is listed on the XMB if you hit Triangle when it is not running and go to information. Mine says version 2.00. What does everyone else have?

I would strongly suspect that the app on the PS3 has nothing to do with what interface you get once you connect to Netflix - that's probably determined by their servers, and may simply be a random roll of the digital dice. Certainly there are people here who've gotten different interfaces at different times, despite using the same app each time.

By having the interface "served" to you, Netflix can update it any time they want for all PS3 owners, without having to send a new Netflix app to everyone through the Playstation Network.
post #352 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I heard from netflix. that they are working to get the dolby digital plus to work. it might take a while.

Jacob

What is wrong with DD plus?
post #353 of 1195 Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 PM

I called Netflix today and they told me I was stuck with the [crappy] interface I have now & couldn't change it. I told them they should at least give us a setting or option where we can try different interfaces and decide ourselves which one we like.

They suggested everyone should call in and give their feedback on this, and that is the only way they'll know what we like & don't like. You can get the 24-hr phone # and a personalized quick service code here: http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs?lnkctr=cuPh&show=true
post #354 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is wrong with DD plus?

they are not using yet, just plain Dolby digital
post #355 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

I found many dozens of them just from browsing their new arrivals.
I've already watched a couple of movies that were in 5.1(The Final Storm and Paranormal Entity)
I also watched a few shows in 5.1. LAst night I watched most of the BSG finale and that was also in 5.1.(The new season additions of 30 Rock, the Office were also in 5.1)
It looked like all of season 4.5 of BSG was in 5.1

LED DLP

post #356 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks

When getting 5.1 DD+ on the 3808 is shows up as Dolby Digital + + Prologic IIx cinema on my 3808 display. When receiving DD it shows up as Dolby Digital + Prologic IIx cinema.

You can also look at the audio status page and it will tell you more info about the audio stream as well as showing Dolby DIgital Plus.
Any time I watch something on VUDU I get DD+ and I have some test BDs with DD+.

LED DLP

post #357 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

I called Netflix today and they told me I was stuck with the [crappy] interface I have now & couldn't change it. I told them they should at least give us a setting or option where we can try different interfaces and decide ourselves which one we like.

They suggested everyone should call in and give their feedback on this, and that is the only way they'll know what we like & don't like. You can get the 24-hr phone # and a personalized quick service code here: http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs?lnkctr=cuPh&show=true

That was my thought as well last night, why not give all of the different options to the user and let them pick the one they like the most to use.
post #358 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was my thought as well last night, why not give all of the different options to the user and let them pick the one they like the most to use.

Because there are probably limitations of bandwidth, site traffic, etc that mean that these decisions aren't left up to the end-user, nor should they be.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #359 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Because there are probably limitations of bandwidth, site traffic, etc that mean that these decisions aren't left up to the end-user, nor should they be.

So in the end the customer isn't right. Great attitude to have. Hey here's a great new product....but you don't get it...why? Can't tell you just accept it. Bogus
post #360 of 1195 Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the interface shown in the previews. I don't know if that's the supposedly 'best interface' or not, but it's good enough for me.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page