Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1195 Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Netflix glitched out big time tonight. It no longer recognizes the "enter" button on my blu-ray remote, and when you select a movie they all instantly fast-forward and you can't stop it. Netflix is the only thing that doesn't work. Been using it every day as well; today is the first problem.

It happens sometimes, although your symptoms sound particularly bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1195 Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^It went back to normal last night. No rhyme or reason.
post #813 of 1195 Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I want the old GUI back. Deleted the app and the user data log in and still get the terrible new ui. With the old one I was able to browse by categories that I want. Now all I can do is search and the limited categories list much content I don't care about.

I use iquerefree on my iPod. That is how I found they now have the Cosby show.

Also the timer is still messed up. Showing a 1 hour program as 2 with a bunch of random numbers for the seconds.

How can they update something and make it worse is beyond me.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
post #814 of 1195 Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Clock is fixed. Fix the GUI and I will be happy.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #815 of 1195 Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hey Guys,

Where is that list of 1080p/5.1 movies?

I'm gonna watch a movie tonight.

Thanks in advance.

I've watched a few of the Starz movies and they were decent, even though they weren't 1080p. I love the Netflix app.
post #816 of 1195 Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Anybody else have really slow response times and trouble getting anything above a medium grade picture quality last night? Was about 10 pm eastern time. Usually have no problem getting X-high HD but the gui was really slow to respond to commands and never got above Medium SD or Low HD.

They did fix the clock issue.
post #817 of 1195 Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I noticed recently that vudu got Dolby digital plus to work on the ps3. I wonder why Netflix can't as well?
post #818 of 1195 Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

I noticed recently that vudu got Dolby digital plus to work on the ps3. I wonder why Netflix can't as well?

So they finally got it working on the PS3. That is good. Now I can use my PS3 as a backup VUDU player.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #819 of 1195 Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Did you personally observe this or do you know the source of this info?

I'm hoping that it is true! (many previous reports turned out to be false)
post #820 of 1195 Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Did you personally observe this or do you know the source of this info?

I'm hoping that it is true! (many previous reports turned out to be false)

I have a ps3fat and the digital now outputs pcm plus plxx. The same as a bluray would, and the audio levels are what they should be. Before it was forced pcm 7.1 with extremely low audio.
post #821 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzderf View Post

So in summary (re the different interfaces) it seems like there are FIVE different interfaces floating around??

1. The UI that was in all the previews and vid from the official Playstation blog (it also seems like this is the one that most people have). I have this.
(http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/)

2. The one that harbong has above which has the nav on the right hand side and video previews directly in the UI when rolling over titles.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8EN...layer_embedded)

3. The more "simple" one that pixelman has which is more like a straight directory navigation style.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLBn...layer_embedded)

4. The one shown in the engadget post which has full screen video browse capability directly accessible even while a video is shown.
(http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/n...eadaches-vide/).

5. Toografik4u's screen which is very similar to pixelman's but instead of having just a grid of selectable buttons, he has cover art displayed on the main screen.
(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19362902)

Since I bought my PS3 about 4 weeks ago I have had the first interface above, then sometime in the past couple of days it switched to the second interface. Why did it do this? I prefer the first. Can I set it back?
post #822 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I want the old GUI back. Deleted the app and the user data log in and still get the terrible new ui. With the old one I was able to browse by categories that I want. Now all I can do is search and the limited categories list much content I don't care about.

I use iquerefree on my iPod. That is how I found they now have the Cosby show.

Also the timer is still messed up. Showing a 1 hour program as 2 with a bunch of random numbers for the seconds.

How can they update something and make it worse is beyond me.

Me too. Let us know if you figure out how to revert to the old GUI.
post #823 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw a recent video of someone using Netflix on the ps3 in there suite. It was a video talking to the owner of Netflix and they had the 1st GUI. Everyone I talk to including me has the crippled 2nd GUI. I had the 1st GUI too until mid December. After that deleting and reinstalled a bunch of times just gives me the 2nd GUI.

Cats are the best pets.
post #824 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's no evidence whatsoever that we have any control over what GUI we get. When you delete and restore the app, you're re-installing the exact same app, using the same preferences and data cache. The GUI has been known to change on people randomly w/o any change of the app.

As far as anyone can tell, the app is just a shell that allows you to connect to Netflix. Once it does so, Netflix streams the GUI to you.

That said, does anyone else have a terribly unresponsive GUI? When the new discless app appeared, it was fabulous - smooth and responsive. In the last month or so, though, graphics load really slowly (like 3-10 seconds) and frequently I'll have to give the "go up/down/left/right" commands multiple times before I get any response. Once I'm watching a movie, picture quality's great (I have a 16 Mbps connection), so it's not a bandwidth problem.
post #825 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

Since I bought my PS3 about 4 weeks ago I have had the first interface above, then sometime in the past couple of days it switched to the second interface. Why did it do this? I prefer the first. Can I set it back?

Same thing happened to me two days ago. No me gusta.
post #826 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a ps3fat and the digital now outputs pcm plus plxx. The same as a bluray would, and the audio levels are what they should be. Before it was forced pcm 7.1 with extremely low audio.

My understanding could be wrong, but I thought that the ps3 fat was incapable of bitstreaming DD+. If that is the case, the readout on a receiver connected to a fat ps3 could never indicate DD+ playback. The implication is that we still don't have a reliable report of DD+ working with netflix ps3 streaming.

A quick scan of a few forums hasn't turned up any reports of successful DD+ output from either vudu or netflix on the ps3. I'd love to be wrong though....
post #827 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

I got UI number 2 as well. I tried deactivating, deleting app. nothing work. I want UI 1. UI 2 does show less movies under a category than UI 1.
post #828 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

That said, does anyone else have a terribly unresponsive GUI?

Same issues here, streaming almost always works flawlessly but the "new" GUI is less responsive, seems to have caching problems, times out at times loading tiles, periodically glitches out a bit and all around sucks.

According to Netflix's tech blog:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...t-success.html

Quote:
We roll out our prototype to a set of members, and we create an equal cohort set up as a control for the experiment. And then we wait. We let our members quietly tell us what the best product is simply by using our service . . . Any one test could have hundreds of thousands of members taking part.

So the main thing that they are looking for is whether accounts get cancelled or usage radically drops. Who knows whether internally they view less usage as a good or bad thing though the conspiracy theorist in me thinks the only logical explanation for the current GUI is to reduce usage and get customers used to having less content (since the studios are hammering them with licensing fees). The *only* feedback you can really give them that they will listen to is cancellation of your Netflix account. Which totally sucks.

Any goodwill Netflix got from me initially has been just about completely eroded away by their arrogant view of customer service. They have no competitor in Canada currently but hopefully that will change sooner than later.

IMHO of course.

Cheers
post #829 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I don't even get teh same GUI every time I use it. Sometimes I have a "recently watched" category...and sometimes i don't.
post #830 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Well, after looking around the Netflix site and realizing they've insulated themselves from feedback by not offering any way for customers to contact them, I wound up calling Netflix Customer Support to lodge a complaint about the unresponsiveness of the UI. Told the CS Rep that it could take 14 seconds for graphics to load (actually selected a specific genre on the app while on the phone, and it took that long), that there was a frustrating lag for every button press, and that frequently there was no response to any given button press, so I sometimes have to press a button two or three times to get anything to happen. This of course makes fast-forwarding or rewinding to a specific point a nightmare.

She initially seemed helpful, but after putting me on hold to check with the Watch Instantly experts, she said they hadn't seen anything like that with their own PS3s, and that this was the first they'd ever heard of it. She then tried to pass the blame on to Sony, saying that the Watch Instantly staff said it may be "hardware issues", and that maybe I should see if Sony could look into it. I reiterated the fact that the app initially worked beautifully, that it had been fast, smooth and responsive, but these problems had manifested (for me, at least) a month or so ago.

I also asked if she even knew what "hardware issues" actually meant, since she was implying that I needed to do something to fix the problems. She stammered a little and suggested that maybe it was a problem with hard drive space; I pointed out that the 250GB free on my hard drive suggested that wasn't it.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone with problems with the Netflix app take the time to call Netflix on Netflix's dime. If the CS rep was correct or honest, they seem to have no idea that there's a problem. As I pointed out to them, it used to work fine, so fixing it should be possible. I also pointed out to her that I've got 190 items on my Watch Instantly queue, so if I wound up canceling my account it wouldn't be because I couldn't find anything to watch - it would be because it was too much work getting to what I wanted to watch.
post #831 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

She initially seemed helpful, but after putting me on hold to check with the Watch Instantly experts, she said they hadn't seen anything like that with their own PS3s, and that this was the first they'd ever heard of it..

It's always that way. Nobody's ever heard of any issues before ;-(

I have never once called customer service of any company and had them tell me, "Oh yes, lots of users are complaining about that same problem".

I really like the Netflix blog post referenced earlier. I like their testing philosophy. I think they should add a button to the UI that says

"How wold you rate your Netflix experience tonight?" 1-5 stars.

There's your feedback metric to drive the experiments.
post #832 of 1195 Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:

It's always that way. Nobody's ever heard of any issues before ;-(

I have never once called customer service of any company and had them tell me, "Oh yes, lots of users are complaining about that same problem".

I have, and when I did I appreciated being treated with respect. I started that call as a mostly-satisfied customer trying to let them know they had a problem, and wound up extremely frustrated that they were telling me nonsense and trying to suggest that the problem lay with Sony or the PS3, when the UI had previously worked admirably on the same hardware.

Quote:

I really like the Netflix blog post referenced earlier. I like their testing philosophy. I think they should add a button to the UI that says

"How wold you rate your Netflix experience tonight?" 1-5 stars.

There's your feedback metric to drive the experiments.

Well, there's the problem - I'm unconvinced that they have a reliable system for evaluating the effectiveness of UI they're feeding people. How can they know that half of the time it doesn't register button presses? How can they tell the difference between someone who browses slowly and someone who knows exactly where they want to go but has second or more delays on every single button press that manages to register? Do they interpret my taking a tremendous amount of time with the interface as being satisfied with its affordance of discovery, when actually I'm growing more and more frustrated by its functionality? I would be delighted to give them a simple rating, or to give them a detailed list of flaws and frustrations, but they give the impression that the last thing they want is actual feedback.

I'd probably be less frustrated if it hadn't previously worked beautifully. And if they had handled the support call better.
post #833 of 1195 Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Why did my PS3 interface change from 'ok' to 'junk' today?

All the categories are now gone. The green triangle surf while playing previews disappears a few months ago, and now this.

The Roku interface is better once again.
post #834 of 1195 Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Everyone who doesn't like the 2nd UI, please call in to customer service to log in your complaint. I just did, and the guy who took my call told me there's been alot of calls in over this. He was extremely polite and didn't try and make me feel as if the change was the greatest thing since sliced bread and asked me exactly what I didn't like about the new, and what was better about the 1st.
I do feel better now after at least hearing that they are taking the comments seriously-at least the rep made me feel that they are listening to what we think.

So please call in, naturally, be polite, maybe it will speed things along.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #835 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Am I the only one that thinks it changes after you go from the 30 day trial to paid subscriber? I had the original interface shown in the Playstation Blog video up until late December after my 30 days were up. After that I got a version that is pretty close to the interface I get on my Wii which is just terribly minimalistic. Each of the genres it gives only lists up to 75 movies. A friend of mine just started his 30 day trial on his PS3 and he has the one from the video as well. Wonder if his changes in a month as well. So the old interface is out there still I was just looking at over the weekend. Maybe just people that haven't made their mind up to pay for it get to see it.
post #836 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

The interfaces seem to change at random. It is likely that the timing of what you observed was just coincidence.
post #837 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I was on my 30 day trial in August back when I needed the disc. My interface changed to the worse one back in December.

I think with enough people not happy with the second ui they will change it. Until then I have to use the website or the iquerefree app to find new stuff.

Cats are the best pets.
post #838 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:

Your receiver is just applying Dolby prologic to the pcm signal. It is not receiving DD+.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #839 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Called CS regarding 3D. Looks like nothing definitive is planned in the near future for 3D blu-rays or 3D streaming
post #840 of 1195 Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojote View Post

Am I the only one that thinks it changes after you go from the 30 day trial to paid subscriber? I had the original interface shown in the Playstation Blog video up until late December after my 30 days were up. After that I got a version that is pretty close to the interface I get on my Wii which is just terribly minimalistic. Each of the genres it gives only lists up to 75 movies. A friend of mine just started his 30 day trial on his PS3 and he has the one from the video as well. Wonder if his changes in a month as well. So the old interface is out there still I was just looking at over the weekend. Maybe just people that haven't made their mind up to pay for it get to see it.

I can confirm this. my trial account has UI 1, and my friend acct has UI 2
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page