Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So what's new in this 2.02 update? I launched Netflix on my PS3 and was forced to update it to 2.02, but I don't see any differences. My UI is the same it's always been and I didn't notice anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

So what's new in this 2.02 update? I launched Netflix on my PS3 and was forced to update it to 2.02, but I don't see any differences. My UI is the same it's always been and I didn't notice anything else.

From the sounds of things, the only thing they added was a firmware version checker to make sure you're running the latest official PS3 firmware. It looks like it's another approach to trying to keep hacked firmwares away from using the various network services.
post #903 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

I got 2.02 on my out-of-region PS3 last evening (region A/3).

It is the first Netflix app that will run for me. I am located in L.A. The PS3 was purchased in Taiwan.

Previous versions refused to run with an out-of-region error message.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #904 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

From the sounds of things, the only thing they added was a firmware version checker to make sure you're running the latest official PS3 firmware. It looks like it's another approach to trying to keep hacked firmwares away from using the various network services.

From the sound of things? Which things is that?

There are likely numerous updates other than what you're referring to. Is this the update that fixed the time code? My assumption is that other issues were addressed as well, such as region detection/limitation, etc.

I'm no fan of Sony's policies lately either, but that shouldn't cloud our judgment on other issues.
post #905 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ My time thing was fixed weeks ago, so this update didn't do that.

AFAIK, the firmware check is the only change.
post #906 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

^ My time thing was fixed weeks ago, so this update didn't do that.

AFAIK, the firmware check is the only change.

Is this just guesswork or is there evidence that nothing else changed with this update? It is very easy to prove that more changed than just latest firmware enforcement. It is pretty much impossible to prove that latest firmware enforcement was the only change, unless Sony has publicly stated that this is the case.

I'm willing to believe either way. But so far it seems that claims of "only a firmware check" are mostly coming from people who have an axe to grind with Sony. (Sorry, this isn't supposed to be a defense of Sony or an attack on you.)

There is already one post in this thread indicating that more changed than just a check to make sure we're running the latest firmware. Are you saying that the poster is mistaken?
post #907 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

At this point, there are only two confirmed changes with the NF app update -- the PS3 FW version check, and the removal of region restrictions (probably because they're already doing region enforcement by IP).

And dfiler, I hope you're not saying I have an axe to grind with Sony -- I'm very happy with my PS3 and I have no reason to run a hacked FW on it. A few searches around the net for changes in the 2.02 update kept on bringing up only the FW check. It's good to know that at least something else changed, too. I'd love to see an update log, but I seriously doubt we'll get one for an app update like this. And yeah, the time bug was fixed for me a little while ago, too.
post #908 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm willing to believe either way. But so far it seems that claims of "only a firmware check" are mostly coming from people who have an axe to grind with Sony. (Sorry, this isn't supposed to be a defense of Sony or an attack on you.)

No offense taken, but I believe these comments (including mine) are more based on Googling for "PS3 Netflix 2.02" and seeing nothing but the firmware check mentioned anywhere and everywhere. Granted, there's no official word on anything, hence the "AFAIK" comment in my post, since it's indeed AFAIK. If it was anything major, there'd have been some sortof announcement somewhere, I would think.

Of course, I believe any release (minor or otherwise) should have release notes. I have apps on my phone that probably less than 100 people use, yet the developers still put out release notes for any updates. I find it odd/unprofessional that these systems from major companies used by by tens of millions of people roll out updates with no mention of what's changed and we have to just blindly update, then scour the internet for assumptions and guesses on what's changed. This goes to Sony, MS and Netflix. I don't know how many times I get an update for the XBOX and have to go to Major Nelson's blog to see what the heck it is. Why are the release notes not just on the screen before I update?
post #909 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to also say that it no longer looks like the PS3 is the only device to get DD5.1 support. The new AppleTV update enables it for that little box, too.
post #910 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Just wanted to also say that it no longer looks like the PS3 is the only device to get DD5.1 support. The new AppleTV update enables it for that little box, too.

There's a Panasonic BD player that has had it for about a week or so as well. Nice to see it's rolling out to other devices finally.
post #911 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Does the Apple update/Panny player also provide the adaptive streaming that enables the PS3 to start a selected video so quickly?

5.1 is nice and all, but I'd rather see the adaptive playback get rolled out more.

-Suntan
post #912 of 1195 Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No offense taken, but I believe these comments (including mine) are more based on Googling for "PS3 Netflix 2.02" and seeing nothing but the firmware check mentioned anywhere and everywhere. Granted, there's no official word on anything, hence the "AFAIK" comment in my post, since it's indeed AFAIK. If it was anything major, there'd have been some sortof announcement somewhere, I would think.

Of course, I believe any release (minor or otherwise) should have release notes. I have apps on my phone that probably less than 100 people use, yet the developers still put out release notes for any updates. I find it odd/unprofessional that these systems from major companies used by by tens of millions of people roll out updates with no mention of what's changed and we have to just blindly update, then scour the internet for assumptions and guesses on what's changed. This goes to Sony, MS and Netflix. I don't know how many times I get an update for the XBOX and have to go to Major Nelson's blog to see what the heck it is. Why are the release notes not just on the screen before I update?

Totally agree, updates should have publicly available change-logs/release notes.

So to clarify, the 2.02 update is known to do more than just impose a latest firmware check. It least allows non-US PS3s to use netflix in the US. My guess is that much more was updated as well.

Considering that netflix is finally rolling out 5.1 to other platforms, the safe bet would be that there are changes going on in netflix land. In order to support those other devices, it almost certainly necessitated changes things on the server side. With those changes in the server farms, it seems safe to assume that they may have needed to update netflix on the ps3.

Note that the 2.02 update was rolled out just ahead of those other devices getting 5.1...
post #913 of 1195 Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Anybody know how to force the app to pick SD quality? I ask because ATT is about to cap home service and I'd like to be able to choose this setting.
post #914 of 1195 Old 03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Anybody know how to force the app to pick SD quality? I ask because ATT is about to cap home service and I'd like to be able to choose this setting.

I think you'd have to tell your PS3 to output 480p. Or you could set it to 720p to avoid the 1080p stuff (it was already shown somewhere else here that if you do that, you won't get "X-High")

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, since the cap is 150GB which should be enough for about 55+ hours of full HD (assuming an average 6Mbps). Guess it depends on how many hours you currently use and how much bandwidth you typically use. Point is, I wouldn't panic unless you already know you're going to blow the limit. Do you know what your current usage is?

Even if you do blow it, it's only $10 for another 50GB, right? If it's one of those things where you might go over one month, but not the next, I don't think it's worth limiting yourself to SD.
post #915 of 1195 Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you'd have to tell your PS3 to output 480p. Or you could set it to 720p to avoid the 1080p stuff (it was already shown somewhere else here that if you do that, you won't get "X-High")

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, since the cap is 150GB which should be enough for about 55+ hours of full HD (assuming an average 6Mbps). Guess it depends on how many hours you currently use and how much bandwidth you typically use. Point is, I wouldn't panic unless you already know you're going to blow the limit. Do you know what your current usage is?

Even if you do blow it, it's only $10 for another 50GB, right? If it's one of those things where you might go over one month, but not the next, I don't think it's worth limiting yourself to SD.

I already thought of that but I'm trying to "cut the cord" as it were and it'd be nice to have this option. The limit won't keep me up at night. We use a lot of Netflix and Hulu, I'd say it accounts for more than half of my viewing, the wife not so much. I'll probably try to track it for a week and see.
post #916 of 1195 Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I already thought of that but I'm trying to "cut the cord" as it were and it'd be nice to have this option. The limit won't keep me up at night. We use a lot of Netflix and Hulu, I'd say it accounts for more than half of my viewing, the wife not so much. I'll probably try to track it for a week and see.

Just before you go all doom and gloom, they are also giving you 3 free months (where you can go over without penalty), access to reports, notifications when you are approaching the limit, etc.

I would definitely give it a month of "not caring" or "business as usual" in your household and see how it's handled or how much you are using.
post #917 of 1195 Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just before you go all doom and gloom, they are also giving you 3 free months (where you can go over without penalty), access to reports, notifications when you are approaching the limit, etc.

I would definitely give it a month of "not caring" or "business as usual" in your household and see how it's handled or how much you are using.

I am interested in their reports. I don't think the cap is the end of the world until they dial it down another notch to catch another 2% of above average users
post #918 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone having trouble with netflix right now?

Won't connect for me for the past hour or so.
post #919 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Liked: 93
Netflix is just generally having issues at the moment. Give them a minute. They are trying to spit out 20% of the US' internet traffic right now.
post #920 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Netflix is just generally having issues at the moment. Give them a minute. They are trying to spit out 20% of the US' internet traffic right now.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the website being down though.
post #921 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

We're sorry, the Netflix website and the ability to instantly watch movies are both temporarily unavailable.

However, our shipping centers are continuing to send and receive DVDs so your order is in process as usual.

Our engineers are working hard to bring the site and ability to watch instantly back up as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and, again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-877-445-6064.

Seems like it is affecting everything at the moment.

Cheers
post #922 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
And then it shows
Quote:

However, our shipping centers are continuing to send and receive DVDs so your order is in process as usual.

What about Blu-ray Discs?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #923 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What about Blu-ray Discs?

I spoke too soon:

Quote:

We're sorry, the Netflix website and our DVD shipping operations are temporarily down.

You can still instantly watch movies via your Netflix ready device.

Strange.

Cheers
post #924 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't connect on my PS3...frustrating for a paid service.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #925 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Still nothing. Hopefully they will restore it soon.
post #926 of 1195 Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Its back!
post #927 of 1195 Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Worked on the PC but not PS3 last night.
post #928 of 1195 Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

I can't connect on my PS3...frustrating for a paid service.

Sh*t happens. Even the best providers have issues occasionally. In the past two instances I've seen this happen, Netflix reimbursed me for the amount of time the service was not available, something not often seen.
post #929 of 1195 Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Sh*t happens. Even the best providers have issues occasionally. In the past two instances I've seen this happen, Netflix reimbursed me for the amount of time the service was not available, something not often seen.
I've heard of them doing that before and you're right that is pretty rare. I'm not going to pursue it over 24 hours of disruption though, like you said sh*t happens. I was just letting out some frustration.

Thanks for the advice.

Update: Just got an email from Netflix. They're giving me 3% off my next bill. It may not seem like much but the attention to the customer is what counts.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #930 of 1195 Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Got mine yesterday as well. Like you said, good customer service.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page