Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
New GUI seems to be a step back for me .. much more cumbersome for navigation ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Install PlayOn on a PC, and watch Hulu, Amazon Video, etc. to your heart's content. Both work fine on my PS3 via PlayOn.

EDIT: I have noticed Hulu is a little shaky lately. I haven't done any troubleshooting to determine if the problem is Hulu or something in the PS3/PlayOn setup.

Does PlayOn do HD streams yet? I haven't really used it since the PS3 got the Netflix app.

Hulu Plus sucks by the way. I'm on a one-month trial and none of the regular Hulu content is available through the Hulu Plus app on the PS3...same thing for my Roku. Totally worthless to me.
post #993 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HD streams from where? I don't use PlayOn for Netflix. The HD streams from Amazon work fine. I don't know about Hulu, I may not have tried any.

Do the Hulu streams work free through the Hulu Plus app?
post #994 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
HD from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and Hulu primarily.

Hulu Plus requires a paid subscription ($8/mo) and I believe a lot of their content is now only available to subscribers. I don't recommend it though unless there are a lot of recent network shows you watch and you don't have cable, satellite or a good OTA set up. However they currently offer a free month trial if you have Windows 7.

Edit: On a related note I actually had trouble getting HD on some shows through the PS3's Hulu Plus app, shows that displayed fine on another TV attached to a Roku. If I fiddle around with the PS3 and TV settings, I may be able to figure out the problem, but probably won't bother since I won't continue with Hulu Plus once my free trial is over.
post #995 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 717
May be news or not but the option to adjust bandwidth showed up on my account at netflix.com. I had read it was for Canadian users to help with caps.
post #996 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have no need for Hulu+. Just wondered if you could watch regular Hulu through the + player for free.
post #997 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Poor UIs are probably intentional, which acts to throttle actual usage. The more cumbersome it is, the less likely you'll use it, keeping you from using the service as much as you otherwise would.

From "The Modern MBA"...

"The best user interface for a prepaid service is one that is poor enough to discourage overuse while not being poor to the point where the customer cancels the service. The sweet spot must be established."

PSN: chaddgar, jrinck
post #998 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinck View Post

Poor UIs are probably intentional, which acts to throttle actual usage. The more cumbersome it is, the less likely you'll use it, keeping you from using the service as much as you otherwise would.

From "The Modern MBA"...

"The best user interface for a prepaid service is one that is poor enough to discourage overuse while not being poor to the point where the customer cancels the service. The sweet spot must be established."

Don't think that's the intent .. as well, if it were, folks get used to the new and it becomes the de facto .. they will use it just as much

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #999 of 1195 Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Don't think that's the intent .. as well, if it were, folks get used to the new and it becomes the de facto .. they will use it just as much

Personally I can't really see any other reason for the changes unless they truly are that incompetent. From what I have read / watched about the devs they are not idiots so that leaves management.

The interface as it is now basically makes it impossible to browse the majority of the Netflix collection. You can search if you know the name of what you want but outside of that if a title does not show up in the preset lists (limited to 75 titles max) you ain't gonna watch it. They are slowly changing the website to match the craptastic PS3 interface so it looks the goal is to add the same constraints there too. So the goal seems to be to make customers "watch what Netflix decides".

Isn't that part of why folks switched away from cable in the first place?
post #1000 of 1195 Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

Personally I can't really see any other reason for the changes unless they truly are that incompetent. From what I have read / watched about the devs they are not idiots so that leaves management.

The interface as it is now basically makes it impossible to browse the majority of the Netflix collection. You can search if you know the name of what you want but outside of that if a title does not show up in the preset lists (limited to 75 titles max) you ain't gonna watch it. They are slowly changing the website to match the craptastic PS3 interface so it looks the goal is to add the same constraints there too. So the goal seems to be to make customers "watch what Netflix decides".

Isn't that part of why folks switched away from cable in the first place?

In my case, I rarely use the PS3 menu for NF .. I've always got a PC handy (we're an 8 PC/Laptop home at last count) .. and I've always found populating my Q much easier with a PC anyway ..

I do agree, however, that searching and what not is more cumbersome with the "new and improved" GUI ..

Uncle Willie

post #1001 of 1195 Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM

Liked: 22
Just got a Netflix account to try out the free one month trial membership. While it's nice that you can watch movies on the PS3 without having to get up to get a disc and put it in the PS3, the search function for movies is atrocious. Unless I know the title of the movie I want to watch, there really isn't a way to search for it. Also, many of the movies I want to watch aren't available as streaming video yet.

I would love it if there was a way on the PS3, or hell on the PC for that matter, to search for a movie and have it show titles only, no images. Or be able to do a compound search such as streaming video available, HD, not TV, etc. The search feature at Amazon is more logical to me and easier to use.
post #1002 of 1195 Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoz View Post

Does anybody else have this ui? Its got the preview window in the top right. Would be cool except for the fact that browsing around constantly changes whats being previewed(so you cannot browse while previewing something). I wouldn't mind it so much if there was a dedicated "preview" button that would open that up, and have it be empty space if nothing is being previewed.

Oh, it also seems to crash a lot, we just got our PS3 a month ago and it's crashed 6 times now browsing around, I presume due to the preview thing freaking out from constantly changing streams. You can see in the video how it lags up every once in a while browsing around.

I hope to God I don't get that interface. I would hate for a video preview to play when just browsing as there is a lot of vulgar R and MA rated crap that keeps showing up as categories which does not interest me at all and to have something like Reservoir Dogs or Pump Fiction to South Park start playing automatically would really peeve me off. If they put a detected preview tab then it might be better just don't automatically start playing the video preview.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1003 of 1195 Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg View Post

Just got a Netflix account to try out the free one month trial membership. While it's nice that you can watch movies on the PS3 without having to get up to get a disc and put it in the PS3, the search function for movies is atrocious. Unless I know the title of the movie I want to watch, there really isn't a way to search for it. Also, many of the movies I want to watch aren't available as streaming video yet.

I would love it if there was a way on the PS3, or hell on the PC for that matter, to search for a movie and have it show titles only, no images. Or be able to do a compound search such as streaming video available, HD, not TV, etc. The search feature at Amazon is more logical to me and easier to use.

instantwatcher.com

feedflix.com
post #1004 of 1195 Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I tried Hulu Plus when it first came out and I cancelled it after a month. Terrible. Paying to watch annoying ads and many shows being web only made me drop it after a few days.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1005 of 1195 Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't connect tonight...anyone else?
post #1006 of 1195 Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Mine required ps3 update tonight.
post #1007 of 1195 Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Liked: 13
Last few days the first time I load up Netflix it fails. If I exit and restart the app it works Ok. Lately they have earned the name Netlix.

Cheers
post #1008 of 1195 Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I had already done the update when it got denied. Hopefully tonight it works.
post #1009 of 1195 Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I have no need for Hulu+. Just wondered if you could watch regular Hulu through the + player for free.

You can't. You need a Hulu+ account to use the player/app.

I usually just hook up my laptop to my TV to watch Hulu stuff. There's also free content on the Xfinity site (they have The Killing episodes).
post #1010 of 1195 Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I had already done the update when it got denied. Hopefully tonight it works.

I just tried starting netflix on my PS3 and nothing. I get the standard "We're unable to connect you to Netflix." This happened after updating my firmware.
post #1011 of 1195 Old 06-25-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

New GUI seems to be a step back for me .. much more cumbersome for navigation ..

It does suck.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #1012 of 1195 Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Add me to that list. Did the update and new NF UI popped up and the instant queue is empty. Did the uninstall/reinstall of NF app and still no instant queue. I also cannot add any titles to the instant queue while using the PS3.

Called NF and they are aware of this problem of not being able to show anything in the instant queue on the PS3. Sometimes..........

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #1013 of 1195 Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sunday....still not working on my PS3. Netflix really needs to get their crap together.
post #1014 of 1195 Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Sunday....still not working on my PS3. Netflix really needs to get their crap together.

That's too bad. Did you try resetting the Netflix app? (hold down SELECT and START on SIXAXIS while Netflix is starting -- be sure to hold down before the red logo comes up). It will ask if you want to reset the app and re-enter your login data.
post #1015 of 1195 Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

it finally just magically started working about 10 last night.
post #1016 of 1195 Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
jamieva,

Glad it is working now for you. Does your instant queue have titles in it or is it empty?

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #1017 of 1195 Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

That's too bad. Did you try resetting the Netflix app? (hold down SELECT and START on SIXAXIS while Netflix is starting -- be sure to hold down before the red logo comes up). It will ask if you want to reset the app and re-enter your login data.

Thank you! I didn't know about this and it fixed my issue. GUI sucks but at least it works now.
post #1018 of 1195 Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

jamieva,

Glad it is working now for you. Does your instant queue have titles in it or is it empty?

I will have to check that tonight. I was going to watch the next episode on Kidnapped so I just went to recently viewed.
post #1019 of 1195 Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Sooo.. for the past three days, my PS3 app has been mostly unusable. The only thing I can do is watch the first movie in each row, or use Search to pick my titles to watch. Every row refuses to move left or right. Deleting and re-downloading the app hasn't fixed it.

It started working again last night, after I had given up hope and resigned myself to using Search every night.
post #1020 of 1195 Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM

If Netflix doesn't improve on the crappy GUI I'm going to be downgrading to the new DVD-only package. I can't see spending $8 a month for the current interface.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...-plan-pricing/
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page