Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

I don't see anything stating the 14.99 was temporary at this time .. will have to look but either way i switched for the games ( stopped gamefly which was 15.95 ) so i am saving pretty big now

If you look at Blockbuster site(top right corner) and under "Blog",you'll see there press release.

"This special offer for Netflix customers is available through Sept. 15, 2011, in participating stores and at Blockbuster's website.

In order to take advantage of this limited time promotional offer, outraged Netflix subscribers are encouraged to visit www.blockbuster.com/helloblockbuster or bring in the tear-off from their Netflix mailer to a participating Blockbuster store."

Love Life! Z scale, Lego, Kids and The Wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willypinhead View Post

If you look at Blockbuster site(top right corner) and under "Blog",you'll see there press release.

"This special offer for Netflix customers is available through Sept. 15, 2011, in participating stores and at Blockbuster’s website.

In order to take advantage of this limited time promotional offer, outraged Netflix subscribers are encouraged to visit www.blockbuster.com/helloblockbuster or bring in the tear-off from their Netflix mailer to a participating Blockbuster store."

what about for exisiting subscribers? I am a member of blockbuster online and netflix. I would certainly like to save a couple of dollars. It would at least make the slow service from Blockbuster more palatable. Even using the in store dropoff for my mailing, blockbuster is still much slower than Netflix.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1083 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

what about for exisiting subscribers? I am a member of blockbuster online and netflix. I would certainly like to save a couple of dollars. It would at least make the slow service from Blockbuster more palatable. Even using the in store dropoff for my mailing, blockbuster is still much slower than Netflix.

After reading some comments on the blog, there are some people with your same situation. And they were asked to call customer service(I guess to verify a Netflix account) to get the special pricing.

Love Life! Z scale, Lego, Kids and The Wife!
post #1084 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

How do they verify you have a Netlfix account?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1085 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
They probably don't. Probably a way to get any new members in but the advertising is aimed at Netflix customers.
post #1086 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
How temporary are the $9.99/$14.99 prices? I didn't see anything in the fine print.
post #1087 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookster View Post

how temporary are the $9.99/$14.99 prices? I didn't see anything in the fine print.

bam:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypinhead View Post

"this special offer for netflix customers is available through sept. 15, 2011, in participating stores and at blockbuster's website.

post #1088 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

bam:

I assumed that meant that's how long you have to sign up to get that pricing, not necessarily how long you would be charged that special monthly rate once you sign up. For example, I could conceivably start my 30-day trial period at the end of August (my new Netflix rates won't go into effect until mid-Sept). I can't imagine that once I start getting charged one month later, it would be at BB's regular prices.
post #1089 of 1195 Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

it never answered how long the deal will be for after you sign up .. i got 14.99 is that my rate from now on or will it go up after x amount? That is not seen anywhere.
post #1090 of 1195 Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Anyone else have audio sync issues with a lot of titles that support 5.1?

For example, I get audio delay watching Mad Men, but if I revert to 2.0, it's fine. I've been watching the episodes on my laptop because of this and do not encounter any sync issues.
post #1091 of 1195 Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormieTrice View Post

Anyone else have audio sync issues with a lot of titles that support 5.1?

For example, I get audio delay watching Mad Men, but if I revert to 2.0, it's fine. I've been watching the episodes on my laptop because of this and do not encounter any sync issues.

Episodes of Friday Night Lights and the just released Walking Dead are out of sync on my PS3. Switched over to watch Netflix directly through my Samsung TV and audio is fine though the video quality is not as good as the PS3.

Edit: You are correct - switching to stereo fixes the audio sync on the PS3. Hmmm . . . NetFlix or PS3?
post #1092 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Liked: 12
Qwikster abandoned, Netflix keeps DVDs. No idea if they're still adding games though.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds...etflixcom.html
post #1093 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post

Episodes of Friday Night Lights and the just released Walking Dead are out of sync on my PS3. Switched over to watch Netflix directly through my Samsung TV and audio is fine though the video quality is not as good as the PS3.

Edit: You are correct - switching to stereo fixes the audio sync on the PS3. Hmmm . . . NetFlix or PS3?

I had a similar problem a few weeks back with episodes, s.1, from Mad Men. I watched several on the PS3 without any problems, then I hit a few with audio synch issues, though audio for the same episodes was fine on my Roku, then the last few were fine again on the PS3.
post #1094 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Qwikster abandoned, Netflix keeps DVDs. No idea if they're still adding games though.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds...etflixcom.html

Still a big question mark. Any licensing deals they had negotiated with game publishers (and movie distributors) now have to be renegotiated. The assumed reason behind the creation of Qwikster was to appease publishers and distributors. But now that Qwikster's been scrapped, there's no telling.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1095 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I dropped streaming when the price hike hit me last month. But now I seem to be locked out from browsing instant content. With all the great additions to streaming that this latest blog post and email to its members is boasting about, how am I supposed to ever check them out to see if it's worth adding streaming back to my account? I tried logging out of my account and can only access a member sign in screen. I can't even browse as a non-member apparently.

I know there are third party websites that list all of Netflix's streaming content, but from the company's perspective, it seems like they have no desire to ever have me streaming again.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Netflix as I had another account related problem to discuss, and apparently there is absolutely no way to browse streaming titles when you are not subscribed. The CSR thought it was weird too.
post #1096 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I dropped streaming when the price hike hit me last month. But now I seem to be locked out from browsing instant content. With all the great additions to streaming that this latest blog post and email to its members is boasting about, how am I supposed to ever check them out to see if it's worth adding streaming back to my account? I tried logging out of my account and can only access a member sign in screen. I can't even browse as a non-member apparently.

I know there are third party websites that list all of Netflix's streaming content, but from the company's perspective, it seems like they have no desire to ever have me streaming again.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Netflix as I had another account related problem to discuss, and apparently there is absolutely no way to browse streaming titles when you are not subscribed. The CSR thought it was weird too.

If it makes you feel any better, it is pretty damn hard to browse streaming titles even when you're a subscriber. Netflix changed their website and expect users to just sit still while a bunch of pictures scroll by. It's like going to blockbuster and having the only choice be to sit beside a conveyer belt as random movies slide past.
post #1097 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

If it makes you feel any better, it is pretty damn hard to browse streaming titles even when you're a subscriber. Netflix changed their website and expect users to just sit still while a bunch of pictures scroll by. It's like going to blockbuster and having the only choice be to sit beside a conveyer belt as random movies slide past.

I don't see what you are talking about. For streaming titles on their website, I can pick a genre, search, etc. and the pics are static for me. I just scroll down the page and then select the next page and so on..

post #1098 of 1195 Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I don't see what you are talking about. For streaming titles on their website, I can pick a genre, search, etc. and the pics are static for me. I just scroll down the page and then select the next page and so on..

All static for me, too. Same applies whether I'm on PC, my iPad, my PS3, or my 360. Just select a category and browse. Not ideal, but it is easy.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1099 of 1195 Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

I've watched netflix on ps3 and netflix before and never had to have a disc?
post #1100 of 1195 Old 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
http://instantwatcher.com/

Go nuts.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1101 of 1195 Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm guessing that you disagree with my usability criticism, and not that you don't see what i'm talking about. ;-)

Netflix did reinstate sortable lists after massive public outcry when they were removed. However lists are hidden and hamstrung with ridiculously poor design. The working assumption appears to be that most people would prefer the scrolling bunch of pictures.

But let's also take a look at that list. Note how horrible the design is. The rows are spaced so widely that there is actually twice as much padding as content. This is a leftover from when lists had an image on each row. Netflix didn't bother to adjust the padding after thumbnails were removed in one of the redesigns.

There is rudimentary filtering. But try switching from a list of action thrillers to a list of action comedies. Switching categories always defaults back to those random scrolling pictures. It is then always necessary to click on "see all XXXXXX" in the upper right corner and then "Sortable List" in the upper left corner. Every single time!

The are numerous of these minor annoyances for each netflix platform. While the interface shortcomings may not annoy some people. Netflix interfaces are still mediocre at best.

I'm not saying that everyone should hate Netflix or that people should stop subscribing. In my opinion, netflix is still the best option. However at the same time, I like to hold their feet to the fire.

In regard to the PS3, the interface design has been handled strangely as well. It was maddening that netflix had 6 different interfaces and every customer got assigned one seemingly at random. Imagine if Comcast or Verizon did the same thing, randomly dish out different interfaces to customers with never an explanation as to why. When netflix finally did get around to standardizing the PS3 interface, the result wasn't terribly well received.

Honestly, take a look at the ps3 netflix interface... does it really seem like netflix is leveraging the screen space effectively? It still feels like beta interaction design to me.
post #1102 of 1195 Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm guessing that you disagree with my usability criticism, and not that you don't see what i'm talking about. ;-)

Netflix did reinstate sortable lists after massive public outcry when they were removed. However lists are hidden and hamstrung with ridiculously poor design. The working assumption appears to be that most people would prefer the scrolling bunch of pictures.

But let's also take a look at that list. Note how horrible the design is. The rows are spaced so widely that there is actually twice as much padding as content. This is a leftover from when lists had an image on each row. Netflix didn't bother to adjust the padding after thumbnails were removed in one of the redesigns.

There is rudimentary filtering. But try switching from a list of action thrillers to a list of action comedies. Switching categories always defaults back to those random scrolling pictures. It is then always necessary to click on "see all XXXXXX" in the upper right corner and then "Sortable List" in the upper left corner. Every single time!

I see what you mean. When I switched then the scolling pictures showed up.

post #1103 of 1195 Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Whenever I start a Netflix movie on the PS3, it seems like it always starts playing 5-10 seconds into the title. I have to rewind to see the absolute beginning.

Has anyone else noticed this bug? I don't think this happens on the Wii.
post #1104 of 1195 Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes, this happens for me as well. It's most notable on a few tv series, the newer arrivals added since July 1. I've never experienced this on anything that was available before then.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1105 of 1195 Old 10-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I continue to be let down by audio sync issues with Netflix. Latest is the just added Red State (Kevin Smith movie).

I think I've solved the sync issue by setting my Netflix account streaming quality one notch down from best. This sucks as a solution as I have a consistent 30Mb down connection, and it looks like I'll have to tweak this setting whenever I encounter a bad stream on Netflix which is more and more often. First Walking Dead Ep. 1 and now this. Harrumph...
post #1106 of 1195 Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I see they finally changed the PS3 app to split TV shows into season columns instead of one giant list of every episode. At least that's one step in the right direction.
post #1107 of 1195 Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Turning on the PS3 tonight, and activating Netflix, I discovered that the Just For Kids UI is now an option that you choose after the loading screen ends. Since I'm not a kid, not quite sure how fun it would be to use regularly. TV Show episodes are listed with 2 large picture windows side by side, moving over to one brings up a dialog box with episode summary. I'd hate to have to scroll back 'n forth, down the column on a show with more than 50 episodes. The top red toolbar now has ''SELECT Just For Kids'' next to the Triangle (for searching the catalog) pressing SELECT on the controller or bluetooth remote allows you to toggle back to the main UI.
I was hoping against hope that the main UI would be changed or altered to something as flexible as our previous UIs, but no such luck. (And I'm still plagued with the 'zoomed in' UI that resulted from the Oct 19 update. Doesn't look like they will be doing anything to fix this. )

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1108 of 1195 Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The old interface was miles better. I have no hope that they will bring it back, because clearly, Netflix is run by a bunch of monkeys.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #1109 of 1195 Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked the new Kids menu option, but I also have a 14 month old at home who watches about 15 minutes of Wonder Pets before going to bed.

In all likelihood, though, it's simply going to get a bunch of knickers twisted because Oh NOEZ I HAVE TO PUSH AN EXTRA BUTTON TO GET TO NETFLIX!!!!111!!1111!!oneoneone

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #1110 of 1195 Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 AM

They've also expanded the scope of searching, which is a huge, albeit less-obvious improvement. Now you're not just searching across the database of titles, but also across the database of people (actors and directors). So you can quickly find everything available, for instance, directed by John Ford. Or avoid everything with Adam Sandler in it.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page