Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1195 Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Thanks for the responses. I agree JChin. Since signing back up for Netflix streaming and watching a few movies the sound to me seems much improved with DD+. I watched the movie "SkyLine" the other night and it sounded very good on my HT setup. The low-end seems to have more punch and the overall 5.1 DD+ sound is more detailed.

Funny, thats the movie I watched last week to test tongue.gif .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1195 Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
A free one-month trial is available for anyone interested in checking out Netflix streaming. If you try to sign up via the PS3 app and it says you aren't eligible, it's because it hasn't been a full year since your last trial or since you dropped streaming services.

I dropped streaming just before the price hike was to hit me on Sept. 21 of last year, but I wanted to check out the new offerings and DD+. I tried to sign up for the free month via the PS3 app, and it came up that I wasn't eligible. So I called Netflix and was told we are entitled to a one-month trial each year, and since it hadn't been a year since I dropped the service, I wasn't eligible yet (I would be in 11 days). But he went ahead and hooked me up for a free month anyway.

So far, I'm pretty amazed how much is available now. In fact, seven movies near the top of my disc queue were available for streaming. Sweet!
post #1173 of 1195 Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So the updated app was pushed to my PS3 (forced upgrade I think) and now every movie that is 'HD' streams in SD. I am trying even movies that I KNOW streamed mhidef no problem in my 10 Mb connection, (Legend of kells) and it is staying in SD all the way... what's going on here? From my Netflix enabled TV in my home, it goes into HD no problem.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1174 of 1195 Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Start Netflix on your PS3. Now start Netflix on your smart phone or tablet. Browse movies on your smart phone/tablet, selct play on one. Surprise! My understanding is this only works with the PS3 version.
post #1175 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 10
Can someone also check that when you would hit display while streaming Netflix it would display the video quality-SD, HD, High HD, Extra High HD-I don't see that anymore -can anyone confirm?
post #1176 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsedsie View Post

Can someone also check that when you would hit display while streaming Netflix it would display the video quality-SD, HD, High HD, Extra High HD-I don't see that anymore -can anyone confirm?

It's been working for me on all content I've been watching (mainly TV shows in HD and 5.1) the past few weeks, including last night while watching The Walking Dead. What were you watching when it didn't appear?
post #1177 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi hsedsie, no issue here.
post #1178 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Anything from Netflix - I have 2 PS3's and both exhibit the same condition. Display shows time and audio but nothing about video. I can tell however looking at the picture that it is HD. Have you tried it today-I thought I saw it working yesterday as well.
post #1179 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Mine too today only displayed the time. Last week the English stereo title vanished now this.

This last update is really messed up. Sometimes when I pause a show then resume it when it finishes it does not show on the website that I watched the episode up to where I paused it. Also even SD content would drop down to crappy quality for about 30 seconds again usually after I paused it.

Also the GUI the titles are now smaller and misaligned. Does anyone know the best device for streaming Netflix because the PS3 is no longer the best.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1180 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Looks like it only shows audio if it is in 5.1.
post #1181 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watch a few minutes of Thor and Skyline in DD+ 5.1 and it still display the video quality.
post #1182 of 1195 Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM

Not for me-just time and audio-on both PS3's-odd
post #1183 of 1195 Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

This last update is really messed up. Sometimes when I pause a show then resume it when it finishes it does not show on the website that I watched the episode up to where I paused it.

Does anyone know the best device for streaming Netflix because the PS3 is no longer the best.

This problem is Netflix-wide. I have the same problem on my PC and iPad.

I still think the PS3 is the best Netflix streamer.
post #1184 of 1195 Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anything from Netflix - I have 2 PS3's and both exhibit the same condition. Display shows time and audio but nothing about video. I can tell however looking at the picture that it is HD. Have you tried it today-I thought I saw it working yesterday as well.

Still working for me fine last night watching Breaking Bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

This last update is really messed up. Sometimes when I pause a show then resume it when it finishes it does not show on the website that I watched the episode up to where I paused it.

In the past month, since I've had steaming again, I've been resuming shows between the PS3, Roku, Kindle tablet, and PC without any problem. I think one time a show I watched on one device didn't show up as being watched on another. But overall, I'm pretty amazed how well this works, as well as picture/audio quality, which is sometimes better than I get on HD cable. When I pause or rewind on the PS3, it does drop momentarily to a lower quality, but I'd rather that than a long pause for buffering.
post #1185 of 1195 Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems to fail about 5% of the time currently. For a while it was never failing.
post #1186 of 1195 Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM

Reply from Sony regarding Netflix Video Quality not displayed any longer:

Yes, this was something that was just recently changed in the latest update for the Netflix application. We do not have any information, as to if it is a feature they will bring back or not.

Were sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
post #1187 of 1195 Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reply from Sony regarding Netflix Video Quality not displayed any longer:
Yes, this was something that was just recently changed in the latest update for the Netflix application. We do not have any information, as to if it is a feature they will bring back or not.
Were sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

That has to be one of those stock answers they give when they don't know the answer. I'm on version 2.10 (I haven't been prompted for any other updates, and as a Plus sub, Netflix is auto-patched), and as of this morning, I still see the video quality info when I hit the display button (checking Breaking Bad, Thor, and Serenity).
post #1188 of 1195 Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well I don't see the video quality info anymore. Also I noticed when watching SD or HD content sometimes but it is more often it will drop down to the lowest video quality for about 15 to 30 seconds and the picture quality would be horrible. It will look like someone smeared grease on the TV screen then it will go back to full quality. Looking at the lights on the router as I have the PS3 hooked up Ethernet the activity light will still blink normally. When the connection normal drops quality because of problems the light will blink rapidly. I have a 10/1 connection. They need to release 2.11 now to fix this.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1189 of 1195 Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I just re-activated Netflix after dropping it when they switched up the interface (which was fine before they tinkered with it too much). It is so slow, clunky, and ugly. It looks and sounds great once you find something to watch, but their search system and menu speed is still horrendous. I hate them so much, but they have great content. Argh.
post #1190 of 1195 Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM

FYI - Response from Netflix regarding video quality display:

Thank you for your email. I appreciate the time you’ve taken to provide us with your feedback and comments.

I understand your frustration regarding the removal of the quality display feature on the Sony Playstation 3. We are constantly making changes to the service, removing features that aren’t used by a large majority of members while iterating on features that are more widely used. Please note, the quality display has not been completely removed as your Internet connection rate (kbps, Mbps, etc.) is still visible at this time. For more context, when you start playing a movie or TV show, we will automatically choose the video quality to give you the best image possible based on the speed of your Internet connection. The faster and more stable your Internet connection is, the higher the quality that we can deliver. In order to receive DVD quality video and audio without interruptions, your Internet Service Provider will need to provide a stable Internet connection that can maintain at least 3 Mbps to the Netflix servers for the duration of the film. For HD quality, you will need at least 4.7 Mbps.
post #1191 of 1195 Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 16
The Netflix app on PS3 now supports 3D! Netflix's 3D section currently has 45 movies / shows in the 3D.

I watched Nitro Circus: The Movie 3D and The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D last night, both have excellent 3D quality. Looking forward to watching everything in the section...

There are 2 threads in the "3D Content" avs section that talk more of the supported devices etc:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443739/netflix-3d-streaming-is-live
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492446/netflix-no-longer-requires-open-connect-3d-should-be-available-to-all-us-users-now
post #1192 of 1195 Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMad View Post

The Netflix app on PS3 now supports 3D! Netflix's 3D section currently has 45 movies / shows in the 3D.

I watched Nitro Circus: The Movie 3D and The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D last night, both have excellent 3D quality. Looking forward to watching everything in the section...

There are 2 threads in the "3D Content" avs section that talk more of the supported devices etc:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443739/netflix-3d-streaming-is-live
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492446/netflix-no-longer-requires-open-connect-3d-should-be-available-to-all-us-users-now

????
The PS3 has supported Netflix 3D for a long time now. The problem is that it's limited to 720P 3D. While a 3D BD player can play the 1080P3D from Netflix.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1193 of 1195 Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

????
The PS3 has supported Netflix 3D for a long time now. The problem is that it's limited to 720P 3D. While a 3D BD player can play the 1080P3D from Netflix.

Yes, but 3D on Netflix was not available to be streamed through all ISPs.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
post #1194 of 1195 Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post

Yes, but 3D on Netflix was not available to be streamed through all ISPs.

It was if you used a service like unBlock US. Which, on FiOS, is what I had to use to get accesss to the content. it is certainly better now that I don't need to use unBlock US. Since previously it wouldn't always stream the higher itrates. i would have to back out of the app and start it again. But now that netflix has opened up these Streams to every one, i can save $5 a month and I seem to always get access to the top speed streams. Although I did trade in my PS3 a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I'll be able to get a PS4 this year.
V.X.Donique likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1195 of 1195 Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Watched Tormented in 3D and it was OK for a while but then I got the speed was too slow message so I couldn't finish the movie. Anyone know how to increase the internet speed on the PS3. All my computers get about 50mps but the PS3 only about 8.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page