Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post

Another thing is the selection of movies is pretty poor, but most of the new movies. like Star Trek aren't even in HD!!!! Who the hell is going to watch a movie like that in less then dvd quality and stereo sound!!?? Why bother..

It makes perfect sense why some of these newer titles are only available in SD. You can blame the studios. They would like to sell SOME Blu-Rays, after all. And, you can always get the Blu-Ray from Netflix in about 2 days, at most.

I don't really see Netflix as the way for me to catch the newest flicks out there. That's what my Netflix Blu-Ray subscription and RedBox are for. Honestly, instead of being annoyed by what's not available on demand, I simply look for what is available--the first season of the amazing Louie show is available in HD, for example. That makes me happy. I only caught a couple of episodes and now Dish is having a spat with FX.

The stuff loads super fast, too, compared to the disc.

Don't forget that you can still search on your computer and add titles to your instant queue.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

My Harmony 680 doesn't seem to have a "PS" option anywhere (downloaded the latest software and firmware, and still can't assign "PS" to it. I have a "Select" option I could try I guess. Not sure that is it or not.

A few caps of the Harmony software, I'm pretty sure the 'PS' button is a default as I'm not sure how I would have 'learned' it given that the Sony remote is Bluetooth. Are you sure you don't see 'PS' listed as a button assignment?

post #183 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

A few caps of the Harmony software, I'm pretty sure the 'PS' button is a default as I'm not sure how I would have 'learned' it given that the Sony remote is Bluetooth. Are you sure you don't see 'PS' listed as a button assignment?

Aw...I think I see the problem. I don't actually have the PS3 listed as a device (just the "PS3 IR Dongle"). I'll actually add the PS3 as a device and see if it shows up. Must be the dongle doesn't have it.
post #184 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Very happy with the inclusion of working subtitles. Don't mind the yellow font either.
post #185 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

If you are already paying for full satellite/cable TV service and have a few movie channels like Encore and Epix (let alone premiums), there probably is very little reason to get Netflix just for their streaming service, unless you are really into old TV shows, independent, and foreign films. In fact the newer and better movies on Netflix streaming available through Starz Play are not even in HD.

I pay for just enough cable to watch all of my Laker games. I don't like watching movies on a schedule so I've never subscribed to those services, and other than the news I don't watch much TV at all. Too bad I can't just pick about 7-8 stations a la carte and only pay for those; I don't watch the other 100+ channels at all.

If I got NF, it'd be for streaming movies (and the occassional TV series) that I didn't want to buy or rent on Blu-ray. Until the selection improves I'll probably hold off on it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #186 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

If I got NF, it'd be for streaming movies (and the occassional TV series) that I didn't want to buy or rent on Blu-ray. it.

That's exactly why I have it. Plus it gives the kids a pretty big selection of stuff to choose from.
post #187 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Terminator 2 has subtitle option, what others?

Edit: District 9 also has subtitle option even though not in HD.
post #188 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK - How do you tell if a movie is 1080p, 1080i, or SD before downloading it? Once downloaded, is there a way to tell? My Denon is set to upscale everything, so it is tough to tell what the actual resolution is with the receiver and display. Is there a "display" setting on the PS3 which tells you resolution and audio settings?
Thanks.
post #189 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

OK - How do you tell if a movie is 1080p, 1080i, or SD before downloading it? Once downloaded, is there a way to tell? My Denon is set to upscale everything, so it is tough to tell what the actual resolution is with the receiver and display. Is there a "display" setting on the PS3 which tells you resolution and audio settings?
Thanks.

You're streaming not downloading.
post #190 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Is anyone having problems with the 5.1 audio. I get no sound when the option is available and selected in the audio tab and have to stick with the stereo setting for all titles to get sound.
post #191 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

SD has been improved on my setup. I used to have to toggle between Full and Stretch modes on my TV with SD content depending on if it was 4:3 or 16:9 but now 4:3 is handled properly without fiddling with the TV. I think the PS3 might be upconverting the video to accomplish this.
post #192 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM

anyone else have their main NF screen look like this?

that is not how it was when i DLed it at 1:00.

PSN: Only-One-Haze
post #193 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

That's exactly why I have it. Plus it gives the kids a pretty big selection of stuff to choose from.

And it's only $11 a month for me. Not a bad deal.
post #194 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by toografik4u View Post

Hi toografik4u, yea they did a quick switch on us, see the last page post #173.
post #195 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My guess is they're getting hammered tonight. When I try to open up the app, it just grinds, saying "connecting to Netflix" then "retrieving titles" and then it repeats 3 times and gives a "cannot connect to Netflix error"

Tried it twice, finally got connected, and got the same non-new dash I referred to in post 173. tried to play a title and waited about 2 minutes....it never played.

My Xbox is connecting just as fast as ever though, so guess I'll use that tonight. Maybe it'll settle down and it'll be back to normal tomorrow.
post #196 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM

well thats not cool. it looked much better and was very quick. y the change?

edit...good point mproper. hopefully itll settle down and go back to how it was.

PSN: Only-One-Haze
post #197 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Has anyone that has upgraded to the disc-free Netflix app done so by selecting the "Install Netflix Now" option after trying to load the Netflix disc? If so, what happens? Does it dump you to the PSN or can you download the app directly from Netflix?
post #198 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I'm not the only one with connection problems. Guess I'll watch baseball instead.
post #199 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, the app is getting hammered tonight. It was terrific earlier in the day.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #200 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had an old plan that allows 4 DVD/Blu's a month,(two at a time) for $13.99. I like the 2 at a time because I can get one kids movie and one adult movie at the same time.

I only have time to watch one movie a week, so the plan works ok for the family. What pisses me off is Netflix will not allow me to stream to the PS3 with this plan. You must have a "unlimited" plan. With this new release, I switched to the "One-Dvd/Blu-at a Time" unlimited plan.

It will be cheaper, but I will only have one dvd/blu at home. I usually always get blu, but recently my daughter has been bugging me for movies that I could get streaming if I had a unlimited plan. I think the streaming will work out well for her mostly. I'll supplement with Redbox if need be.

She has already watched 2 movies since 5:00 p.m.. eastern time, and I just started a 3rd "Starship Troopers". It's in sd but looks pretty good on my 50" pdp. I have had no problems connecting and streaming tonight.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #201 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Got this message twice: "We're unable to connect you to Netflix. Please try again later." It went through on the third try. I went to my queue and hit play on Ponyo...it instantly started and was running flawlessly. Other movies are now taking a bit longer. It will calm down over the next day or so.
post #202 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990ktm View Post

Has anyone that has upgraded to the disc-free Netflix app done so by selecting the "Install Netflix Now" option after trying to load the Netflix disc? If so, what happens? Does it dump you to the PSN or can you download the app directly from Netflix?

If are a Netflix member already just go under Video XMB and click on the red Netflix icon. It will ask you to sign in (if you're yet) and it will start to download.
post #203 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Nope. Not seen that one yet! The first one I had earlier today looked just like the promo pictures & this video: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/

The current one I have is a dark gray background, red tabs at top, and 16 thumbnails below.

And now when I first go into it, I get an all-gray screen with 6 huge text-only buttons: Suggestions for You, New Arrivals, Genres, Recently Watched, Instant Queue and Search.
post #204 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi toografik4u, yea they did a quick switch on us, see the last page post #173.

You mean #172?

So far, including the 2 layout's mine has had, plus the one toografik & the one mproper posted (I just noticed his attached thumbnail)... that makes 4 different layouts I've seen...
post #205 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvca115 View Post

Is anyone having problems with the 5.1 audio. I get no sound when the option is available and selected in the audio tab and have to stick with the stereo setting for all titles to get sound.

same here. What's your setup like?

I've got every audio output enabled except for aac. All these work fine with other stuff. But netflix ps3 5.1 streams play no sound. Hdmi connection. Video goes almost immediately to "x-high" so I don't think bandwidth is a problem. Hardwired to 30mbps fios.
post #206 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
FYI, I just ran the same movie on 2 PS3s simultaneously and everything worked perfect.

Also, if you need to want to see if HD (X-High / HD) and 5.1 shows up on your system you can test Season 4 of 30 Rock. I know there are more, but this is the only one I have checked. 5.1 was instantly set and worked fine for my home theater setup (HDMI)...it showed up as Stereo on my 2nd PS3 using my headphones (red/white composite).

Edit 1: Just saw that Zookster mentioned 30 Rock Season 4 earlier this morning. Do this to test HD/5.1.

Edit 2: What movie(s) are you watching with the 5.1 issues?

Edit 3: If you want a VERY nice looking HD stream, check out Secret of Kells immediately. Keep in mind it takes a few seconds for the video to adjust to HD. No it's not perfect, but it's amazing for being streamed almost instantly. This was mentioned earlier this morning as well.
post #207 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

FYI, I just ran the same movie on 2 PS3s simultaneously and everything worked perfect.

Also, if you need to want to see if HD (X-High / HD) and 5.1 shows up on your system you can test Season 4 of 30 Rock. I know there are more, but this is the only one I have checked. 5.1 was instantly set and worked fine for my home theater setup (HDMI)...it showed up as Stereo on my 2nd PS3 using my headphones (red/white composite).

Edit 1: Just saw that Zookster mentioned 30 Rock Season 4 earlier this morning. Do this to test HD/5.1.

Edit 2: What movie(s) are you watching with the 5.1 issues?

Edit 3: If you want a VERY nice looking HD stream, check out Secret of Kells immediately. Keep in mind it takes a few seconds for the video to adjust to HD. No it's not perfect, but it's amazing for being streamed almost instantly. This was mentioned earlier this morning as well.

I don't like to select HD in each and every title but should be preferred setting once set some where, on netflix or ps3 IMHO
post #208 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

I've got a Japanese unit and it looks like I can't use the Netflix app due to region restrictions.
post #209 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes. Just downloaded at 11:15pm EST looks just like this. Not quite as slick as the earlier editions but hey I'll take it.

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Looks decent at 1080p on my 52 LCD. 5.1 is crystal clear and amazing for a streamed video. And I can't believe how freaking fast streaming on my 10 Mbps wired connection.

Quote:

Holy Cow. You aren't kidding. That is simply amazing for a streamed video. I clicked to play and literally 3 seconds later the stream bar was full and I was in the movie. And the sharpness...I may just have to watch it for fun.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #210 of 1195 Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Liked: 29
I am beyond impressed with the PS3 discless implementation. A great feature is how the movies preview in a smaller window when you initially select it while browsing.

A big thumbs up in my book!!!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page