Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My 6 year old wanted to watch Princess and the Frog last night. It looked spectacular. Even i had to watch for a while just for the picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was surprised that I was able to get 1080p w/5.1.... I have a 6Mbit wired DSL connection.... PQ was pretty good, it was 11pm at night, perhaps that's why it was working so well for me.
post #213 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I was surprised that I was able to get 1080p w/5.1.... I have a 6Mbit wired DSL connection.... PQ was pretty good, it was 11pm at night, perhaps that's why it was working so well for me.

DSL doesn't degrade its throughput when more users are online like cable. What youg et is what you get.

I always get the exact same (slow) 3.15Mbps download, regardless of when I check it.

-Suntan
post #214 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My connection is on the slow end at 1.5 but this is by far the most impressive streaming I have seen. Very impressed. Even the cheezy You Tube videos need to constantly buffer but the few shows & movies I checked out on Netflix last night ran without a hitch and the picture quality was light years ahead of other streaming sites, even at SD.

I've had Netflix for a few years now, so I know the play it now selections tend to be older movies and TV shows, but this will be a great supplement to my 2 at a time Blu-ray account that I can easily watch on my TV.
post #215 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

My connection is on the slow end at 1.5 but this is by far the most impressive streaming I have seen. Very impressed. Even the cheezy You Tube videos need to constantly buffer but the few shows & movies I checked out on Netflix last night ran without a hitch and the picture quality was light years ahead of other streaming sites, even at SD.

I've had Netflix for a few years now, so I know the play it now selections tend to be older movies and TV shows, but this will be a great supplement to my 2 at a time Blu-ray account that I can easily watch on my TV.

Well, I've seen much more impressive streaming (Vudu HDX and Zune on XBOX come to mind, both of which have been 1080p 5.1 for quite awhile), but if you're limited to a 1.5 connection, your choices are pretty limited (not to mention those other options are much more expensive, since they are a PPV basis, and not buffet). You're probably not getting the best quality with that connection, but if you're happy, that's all that matters.

As for selection, You guys might be interested in this "Netflix Gems and Finds" thread I started earlier this year: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1222798

I've watched over 250 titles on it, and still have quite a few in my queue (although I'm currently under 40, but I'm sure if I started browsing, I'd get that back over 100 again). No complaints about selection here. Just need to expand your tastes a bit. Everyone knows the best movies being put out now are from independent and foreign studios
post #216 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Watched the Matrix Revolutions last night..X-High/5.1= stupid grin on face. Please let there be more newer titles like this in the future...

V.X.Donique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #217 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post

Watched the Matrix Revolutions last night..X-High/5.1= stupid grin on face. Please let there be more newer titles like this in the future...

Awesome. You just totally messed up my honey do list. THANK YOU!!!!

Although I'm not getting it 5.1.
post #218 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post

I also picked that to watch last night and really nice o hear the rears kicking in, had a few drop outs but I figure the site was being flooded last night Since I'm so slow to return and disks these days I'd opt for a streaming only

Audyssey
post #219 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else have issues with pause/rewind/ff last night? Once I tried to rewind and system froze. Once I paused and my system froze. I had issues loading Arrested Development last night, about three times I got only about 3 seconds of audio and no picture and system locked up. Hopefully this is just initial server issues and it will get worked out, right now it still seems Xbox is the way to go.
post #220 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

I've got a Japanese unit and it looks like I can't use the Netflix app due to region restrictions.

I bought my PS3 in Taiwan (Region 3/Region A), and it won't run the Netflix app due to region restriction (I am in the U.S.). But it did work with the Netflix disc.

I wonder if the Netflix disc will continue to work, or if it will become disabled....

It's too bad the restriction is using the DVD region instead of the Blu-ray region, because I am in the correct Blu-ray region.

The
, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #221 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Awesome. You just totally messed up my honey do list. THANK YOU!!!!

Although I'm not getting it 5.1.

Did you turn on the 5.1 setting in Netflix before you played the title? Once you do this, most other titles will remember the setting, but some I have found do not and have to be told 5.1 before each play.

post #222 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Did you turn on the 5.1 setting in Netflix before you played the title? Once you do this, most other titles will remember the setting, but some I have found do not and have to be told 5.1 before each play.

Where do you do this?
post #223 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Its an option when viewing the full-screen listing in the new PS3 layout.

If the title has 5.1 (will show 5.1 next to name at top of screen), then on the left where it shows "Play, Add/Remove to/from Instant Queue, Rate the title" there will also be an option of "Audio and subtitles". Go in there and switch it to 5.1.

It should remember this setting for future titles, although I've found some which did not for some reason.

Read this from earlier in the thread
post #224 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks, and sorry for my inability to read the thread properly before asking.
post #225 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
OK, I will have to rant.

Ive enjoyed NetFlix WITH DISC for a while now. Only complaint was the need for the Disc. I was happy with the quality of 720p titles on the large (108" projector) screen.

Tried the new app last night. HORRIBLE GUI change! Why?!?! It was fine before, now it feels clunky, and looks unpolished. It is also buggy (will not elaborate on this, but I did find a few bugs).

Worst of all, I played one of the 720p titles that I had been watching via Disc last week (Wild China BBC or something...) and the quality is MOST DEFINITELY inferior. I dont really care if the projector now 'believes' that the stream is 1080p (which it does), I can say for sure that the quality is no better than a 480 SD. I would have been fine with just the good old 720p resolution, but this is ridiculous. The top left of the screen by the way seems to dynamically switch from SD to X-High, although I see no change in picture quality... just looks SD to me.

Not happy with any of the changes, and I was really hoping for the same interface, without need for a Disc.

EDIT: After reading more of this thread, it appears there are different GUI interfaces been pushed to users... I wonder if the interface I got was poorer than the others... I can tell you it really sucked!!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #226 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Wonder if the app will work with a 2nd PS3? I have the fat upstairs for games/movies and the slim for downstairs as my BD.. way to go Netflix..

post #227 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

it works on 2 ps3's for me. Haven't tested 3 yet (have a phat I haven't sold yet).
post #228 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
When I checked the app yesterday afternoon, most of the things I looked at had the "Audio/Subtitles" button, but later in the evening, I couldn't find any that had it. I checked this morning, and only 30 Rock and maybe one or two others had it.

Is it just me? What changed?
post #229 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I didn't see the option to change audio formats on any screen when I was using the program last night. I also didn't see "5.1" next to the movie/show title. It just played 5.1 on movies/shows automatically if they were programmed to do so.

Also, I like the new movie-selection screen a lot better than the previous one.

PSN: PrankT

post #230 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

OK, I will have to rant.

Ive enjoyed NetFlix WITH DISC for a while now. Only complaint was the need for the Disc. I was happy with the quality of 720p titles on the large (108" projector) screen.

Tried the new app last night. HORRIBLE GUI change! Why?!?! It was fine before, now it feels clunky, and looks unpolished. It is also buggy (will not elaborate on this, but I did find a few bugs).

Worst of all, I played one of the 720p titles that I had been watching via Disc last week (Wild China BBC or something...) and the quality is MOST DEFINITELY inferior. I dont really care if the projector now 'believes' that the stream is 1080p (which it does), I can say for sure that the quality is no better than a 480 SD. I would have been fine with just the good old 720p resolution, but this is ridiculous. The top left of the screen by the way seems to dynamically switch from SD to X-High, although I see no change in picture quality... just looks SD to me.

Not happy with any of the changes, and I was really hoping for the same interface, without need for a Disc.

EDIT: After reading more of this thread, it appears there are different GUI interfaces been pushed to users... I wonder if the interface I got was poorer than the others... I can tell you it really sucked!!

I can see that, if your projector does a better job of upscaling the 720p content than simply displaying the Netflix native 1080p content. You could test it by disabling 1080p output on your PS3.
post #231 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Well, with the Disc NF version, my projector switched to 720p mode when viewing 720p content. It was not upscaling, guaranteed.

Now, the projector is simply switching to 1080pmode because it sees a 1080p stream from NF (apparently, NF is now tunnelling all content, SD and HD, through a 1080p stream). What I dont understand is why the 720p NF videos, now tunneled through a 1080p stream, look like crap.

Or at least that was my observation based on one single flick... will try tonite again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

I can see that, if your projector does a better job of upscaling the 720p content than simply displaying the Netflix native 1080p content. You could test it by disabling 1080p output on your PS3.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #232 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Wonder if the app will work with a 2nd PS3? I have the fat upstairs for games/movies and the slim for downstairs as my BD.. way to go Netflix..

worked for me, no more registering the device online, it uses the PSN account I think.

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #233 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I agree that the gui is a step back. The queue is no longer circular
post #234 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
2 PS3s work fine: I installed Netflix with the same PSN account on both PS3s (it only asked me my Netflix user name/password on the 1st PS3). I then tried to turn on Netflix on both PS3s without signing into PSN and it would not let me go forward without signing into a PSN account. I then signed into separate PSN accounts for each respective PS3 and both worked and streamed the same movie at the same time (they streamed separate movies as well, of course). One thing to note is that the Netflix disc did not require signing into PSN, and I will have to test this further to see if there is a way to use Netflix without signing into PSN; I don't like being signed on because the friend sign-on/sign-off notification popped up during movies! I checked my Netflix account on their website and see both my PS3's are activated for Netflix streaming, and you can have up to 6 active streaming devices.

PSN: PrankT

post #235 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
thanks for quick reply.. Tried the 5.1 on 30 Rock and it works fine.. Displaying "Dolby Digital EX on my Pio ELite VSX-03.. this is great progress

post #236 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Well, with the Disc NF version, my projector switched to 720p mode when viewing 720p content. It was not upscaling, guaranteed.

Now, the projector is simply switching to 1080pmode because it sees a 1080p stream from NF (apparently, NF is now tunnelling all content, SD and HD, through a 1080p stream). What I dont understand is why the 720p NF videos, now tunneled through a 1080p stream, look like crap.

Or at least that was my observation based on one single flick... will try tonite again.

My guess would be that the Netflix app is doing a terrible job of upscaling it. I haven't watched anything yet so I can't comment on picture quality. I'm still a bit befuddled that they would force an upconverison to 1080p in the first place, in my world, native is the way to go, and in fact it worked just fine when it was coming at 720p.

Is the 1080p just a cheap marketing stunt? Yes, it's wonderful that the app is capable of 1080p playback, but I'd be more impressed if it played back content in it's native encoded resolution.
post #237 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. It shouldn't be an upscale, it should be 1080p source.
post #238 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I don't like being signed on because the friend sign-on/sign-off notification popped up during movies!.

I can see where that would be annoying; so annoying in fact, I have that function completely disabled because I don't like to see the notices even while playing games. Ruins the immersion factor for me and sometimes distracts me to the point I mess up at a key moment.
post #239 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I downloaded the update and tried a few of the HD movies/shows. I think the quality has definitely improved.

One odd thing is that the 5.1 is a hell of a lot quieter than 2 channel. I noticed this on The Last Boyscout. I tried 5.1 and it sound just okay - kind of lacking dynamic range and bass. Then tried a few other movies and came back to Boyscout and it was super loud. Then I noticed it had swapped back to 2 channel. It actually sounded better in 2 channel processed as DPLII.

Maybe it's just this movie in particular. Let me know if any of you guys have experienced something similar.

Billbofet
post #240 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Couple of things.

Bring back the circular queue. I have 240 items in my queue and I really hate having to scroll to number 200+ to get to the item otherwise i have to search for it.

Found a bug last night while scrolling through the queue. had an issue where i stopped on an item, but the item listed in the description was the next item in queue to the right.

So for example I had the picture for battlestar galactica season 4.5, but the episodes listed and titles and everything were for In Plain Sight season 1, which if i scroll to the right was the next picture in line. Figured it was some type of scrolling issue.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page