Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Has anyone figured out how to get the PS3 to bitstream the Dolby Digital Plus from the Netflix titles that have it? I tried several last night and had the DD+ track selected and the PS3 was only bitstreaming 5.1DD to my receiver.
From a BD I have no problem with my PS3 bitstreaming DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Well, with the Disc NF version, my projector switched to 720p mode when viewing 720p content. It was not upscaling, guaranteed.

Now, the projector is simply switching to 1080pmode because it sees a 1080p stream from NF (apparently, NF is now tunnelling all content, SD and HD, through a 1080p stream). What I dont understand is why the 720p NF videos, now tunneled through a 1080p stream, look like crap.

Or at least that was my observation based on one single flick... will try tonite again.

Test another video like you said and then maybe try as I said to limit your PS3 output to 720p and see if that gives you similar performance to what you've grown used to. It's no secret the PS3 isn't the best at upscaling said content.
post #243 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Couple of things.

Bring back the circular queue. I have 240 items in my queue and I really hate having to scroll to number 200+ to get to the item otherwise i have to search for it.

Found a bug last night while scrolling through the queue. had an issue where i stopped on an item, but the item listed in the description was the next item in queue to the right.

So for example I had the picture for battlestar galactica season 4.5, but the episodes listed and titles and everything were for In Plain Sight season 1, which if i scroll to the right was the next picture in line. Figured it was some type of scrolling issue.

Hey u should try again because the list was circular when I tried it last night
post #244 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

has anyone figured out how to get the ps3 to bitstream the dolby digital plus from the netflix titles that have it? I tried several last night and had the dd+ track selected and the ps3 was only bitstreaming 5.1dd to my receiver.
From a bd i have no problem with my ps3 bitstreaming dd+, dolby truehd, dts-hd ma, etc.

+1 Do you have the slim or fat PS3?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #245 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anybody see the difference between X-high/HD and High/SD? Do you need a higher bandwidth for the latter? What about DD Plus? Any pics showing a receiver decoding DD Plus? Can the PS3 decode DD Plus?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #246 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndre View Post

Hey u should try again because the list was circular when I tried it last night

I will try again tonight, but it was not for me last night.
post #247 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a thought...

Dolby Digital Plus
What it is: An enhancement over standard Dolby Digital, DD+ offers higher bit rates and more efficient compression, resulting in improved sound quality. It can also support movie soundtracks up to 7.1 discrete channels (though honestly, the vast majority of Hollywood movies are only mixed for 5.1). On Blu-ray, DD+ is encoded as an extension to a "core" Dolby Digital AC-3 track.
Level of support: Unfortunately, DD+ is optional on the Blu-ray format, and not all disc players are required to support it. Many players will simply read the 640 kb/s core and disregard the extension. As a result, most movie studios prefer to use either basic Dolby Digital AC-3 or some of the other advanced formats.

How to get it:

* Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF cannot carry a full DD+ signal. If you use this connection method, the player will limit output to the Dolby Digital AC-3 core.
* HDMI - If the player does not support DD+, it will simply extract the AC-3 core, in which case see the Dolby Digital listing above. Some players may decode the DD+ to PCM and transmit it over HDMI (any version). Other players will instead choose to transmit the DD+ bitstream to a receiver for decoding, but this requires HDMI 1.3 connections on both ends of the chain.
* Multi-channel analog - Either the Blu-ray player will extract and decode the AC-3 core, or (on some models) will decode the full DD+ and convert it to analog.

post #248 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Can anybody see the difference between X-high/HD and High/SD? Do you need a higher bandwidth for the latter? What about DD Plus? Any pics showing a receiver decoding DD Plus? Can the PS3 decode DD Plus?

There was a huge difference between X-high/HD and High/SD on the titles I looked at last night. Some would start off as High/SD and a few seconds later would switch to X-High/HD.(some would start as X-high/HD) but either way once they were showing X-high/HD they were staying at that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #249 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just a thought...

Dolby Digital Plus
What it is: An enhancement over standard Dolby Digital, DD+ offers higher bit rates and more efficient compression, resulting in improved sound quality. It can also support movie soundtracks up to 7.1 discrete channels (though honestly, the vast majority of Hollywood movies are only mixed for 5.1). On Blu-ray, DD+ is encoded as an extension to a "core" Dolby Digital AC-3 track.
Level of support: Unfortunately, DD+ is optional on the Blu-ray format, and not all disc players are required to support it. Many players will simply read the 640 kb/s core and disregard the extension. As a result, most movie studios prefer to use either basic Dolby Digital AC-3 or some of the other advanced formats.
Examples of discs that use it: 'A View from Space with Heavenly Music' claims a DD+ track, assuming that the packaging and menus aren't just mislabeled.
How to get it:

* Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF cannot carry a full DD+ signal. If you use this connection method, the player will limit output to the Dolby Digital AC-3 core.
* HDMI - If the player does not support DD+, it will simply extract the AC-3 core, in which case see the Dolby Digital listing above. Some players may decode the DD+ to PCM and transmit it over HDMI (any version). Other players will instead choose to transmit the DD+ bitstream to a receiver for decoding, but this requires HDMI 1.3 connections on both ends of the chain.
* Multi-channel analog - Either the Blu-ray player will extract and decode the AC-3 core, or (on some models) will decode the full DD+ and convert it to analog.

yes. You need a PS3 slim since the PS3 fat cannot bitstream the advanced codecs. And if you can get the bitstreamed advanced codecs from BD titles that the PS3 slim plays, you are fully capable of getting bitstreamed DD+.

post #250 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

There was a huge difference between X-high/HD and High/SD on the titles I looked at last night. Some would start off as High/SD and a few seconds later would switch to X-High/HD.(some would start as X-high/HD) but either way once they were showing X-high/HD they were staying at that.

I agree. The X-high is very noticeable here (67" @ 7' away).

And speaking of the quality, everything I've watched which was in HD before, the HD now is much better-- clearly revealing a 1080p source. But it probably all depends on what you're watching.

post #251 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes. You need a PS3 slim since the PS3 fat cannot bitstream the advanced codecs. And if you can get the bitstreamed advanced codecs from BD titles that the PS3 slim plays, you are fully capable of getting bitstreamed DD+.

Do you have a fat or slim?

post #252 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Do you have a fat or slim?

I have a Slim which is why I have no problem bitstreaming DD+, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA from my BD titles.
(I don't use my PS3 much, especially with BDs, but the first thing I did when I was not getting DD+ was to put in a test BD that has test videos with all of the Advanced audio codecs to make sure there was no issue with my Slim bitstreming it to my receiver)

post #253 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anybody on this thread thats using there PS3 for netflix receiving and/or decoding DD Plus soundtracks?

post #254 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

A few caps of the Harmony software, I'm pretty sure the 'PS' button is a default as I'm not sure how I would have 'learned' it given that the Sony remote is Bluetooth. Are you sure you don't see 'PS' listed as a button assignment?

Forgive me if this answer is obvious, but I always had my Harmony One set up to control my PS3 via the Nyko Blu-Wave adapter. There is no option for the PS button on any of the custom control options.

If I add the PS3 directly as a device as displayed in your screenshots, how would the remote talk to the PS3 since its not Blue Tooth?

Being able to simulate pressing the PS button would make all the difference in the world when viewing the Netflix app since it's now needed to exit.

Thank you in advance.
post #255 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugecanoli View Post

Forgive me if this answer is obvious, but I always had my Harmony One set up to control my PS3 via the Nyko Blu-Wave adapter. There is no option for the PS button on any of the custom control options.

If I add the PS3 directly as a device as displayed in your screenshots, how would the remote talk to the PS3 since its not Blue Tooth?

Being able to simulate pressing the PS button would make all the difference in the world when viewing the Netflix app since it's now needed to exit.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I use the Harmony PS3 adapter, which converts the IR command to Bluetooth. I used the Nyko solution before the adapter came out and while it worked well, I was somewhat annoyed that you had to do the on/off by hand. The adapter is one of the best investments I've made in my HT setup, well worth the money in my opinion.
post #256 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
**sigh** Still seeing this same crappy interface (see attachment). Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no difference.

This sucks.

I also have the Fat...didn't realize it couldn't do DD+. And of course I have the Nyko Blu-Wave IR Adapter, which doesn't do the PS button. This is all very annoying to me. Guess I should invest in the $30-$40 Harmony adapter so I can turn on my $600 system (at the time) and do a simple thing like exit an app with my $200 remote God forbid they map "circle" to back out of the app like everything else seems to

Oh, am I supposed to be seeing this as a registered device under Netflix? I'm only seeing my 360, but I think there was an activation code or something i had to put in for that (same with the disc for the PS3 when I got it)
LL
post #257 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The fat does do DD+.

The interface was far crappier when using the disc. I am shocked some are saying the GUI was better before. It is more organized, easier to access and more fluid now.
post #258 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Is that in reference to me? That screenshot I posted of what mine looks like is NOT what is on all the videos and press releases.

Mine is slow and clunky and doesn't have any HD or sound indicators. It's not at all what I am supposed to be seeing. Others have reported the same starting with post 172.

Am confused about DD+ since the posts at the top of his page say you need the slim.
post #259 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Am I missing something? I installed the app, logged in and it comes up. But it looks NOTHING like the videos I've seen (see my attachment below for what I see) Isn't it supposed to look like the screenshot below?

I don't see anything like that. I just see the titles, and the description on the right in a grey box. There are no HD indicators on anything (even stuff I know is HD). See my attachment.

Obviously, I am missing something...

On a side note, the queue takes at least 3 times longer to load than it does on the 360...not big deal, but still kindof annoying.

Mproper.. your famous! Engadget is using ur screenshots!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/n...eadaches-vide/

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

post #260 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Mproper.. your famous! Engadget is using ur screenshots!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/n...eadaches-vide/

LOL. I think they used that without my expressed written consent....

At least I'm not the only one seeing something vastly different.
post #261 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^ Is that in reference to me? That screenshot I posted of what mine looks like is NOT what is on all the videos and press releases.

Mine is slow and clunky and doesn't have any HD or sound indicators. It's not at all what I am supposed to be seeing. Others have reported the same starting with post 172.

Am confused about DD+ since the posts at the top of his page say you need the slim.

FWIW.. Im getting the same interface as you dude.

I'll tell you how I 'updated' my PS3 to have Netflix. An icon showed up on the 18th. And yes it was the 18th exactly, it was not there on the 17th.. trust me, I also checked that day. I clicked on the icon, which first downloaded the Netflix app, then installed it.

I then tried to immediately use Netflix. It game me an error that I must first be connected to PSN and then froze. I had to hard reboot my PS3. I thought either that was quirky or that I was already logged into PSN.. so I tried again after 2nd reboot. Same error. From there I rebooted again (3rd time) and went directly to PSN home first.. sure enough I was not logged in, so I logged into PSN and again tried Netflix.

Finally Netflix did not freeze up on me, it took me to a Netflix login window. I logged into Netflix there (yes a seperate login from PSN) and after a few seconds I came to the exact same 'hybrid' home screen that you have. Maybe the steps I took gave me the different home screen. The same one you have. Anyone care to comment?

post #262 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL. I think they used that without my express written consent....

At least I'm not the only one seeing something vastly different.

They definitely owe you a 6pack of beer.. and trust me you arent crazy. I'll post some screenshots of mine also.

Oh I forgot to add.. on my screen the Netflix logo at the top & navigation buttons at the bottom are slightly cut off. I re-ran the PS3 display setup to guarantee I was using the correction resolution. 1080i over HDMI.

post #263 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Oh I forgot to add.. on my screen the Netflix logo at the top & navigation buttons at the bottom are slightly cut off. I re-ran the PS3 display setup to guarantee I was using the correction resolution. 1080i over HDMI.

That's interesting you guys still have that crappy interface. I'll bring my camera home tonight and post what mine looks like with the red tabs at top.

Mine showed up on the 17th, I installed, tried it, it said I couldn't use it, hit the PS button, backed out of it, tried this a few more times, and finally gave up. Tried it on 18th and it worked, giving me the interface seen on the promotional videos. Used it for a few hours... exited and went back into it and then I had the new interface with red tabs at top.

Hey, have you guys tried deleting the Netflix app and re-installing it (from under What's New)? Does your app show as version 2.00?

post #264 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

That's interesting you guys still have that crappy interface. I'll bring my camera home tonight and post what mine looks like with the red tabs at top.

Mine showed up on the 17th, I installed, tried it, it said I couldn't use it, hit the PS button, backed out of it, tried this a few more times, and finally gave up. Tried it on 18th and it worked, giving me the interface seen on the promotional videos. Used it for a few hours... exited and went back into it and then I had the new interface with red tabs at top.

Hey, have you guys tried deleting the Netflix app and re-installing it (from under What's New)? Does your app show as version 2.00?

Just deleted and reinstalled the Netflix app. The version of the app I get is a 19MB download. Long story short I got the EXACT same old azz version again upon reinstall. And the top Netflix logo and bottom navigation buttons are still being cutoff

I also updated my PS3 firmware to 3.50 on the 18th. Which I believe is the newest version. It forced me to do that before logging into PSN.

post #265 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

The fat does do DD+.

The interface was far crappier when using the disc. I am shocked some are saying the GUI was better before. It is more organized, easier to access and more fluid now.

It doesn't bit stream it. It will decode it and send it out as pcm. The PS3 fat does not bitstream any of the advanced codecs which are DD+, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD HRA, and DTS-HD MA.

post #266 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Good news to know. Glad I have the slim since it will bitstream DD+.

Im guessing the version I downloaded is the crappy disc version then. I dont know because I never bothered using the disc version.

post #267 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

^^^ Good news to know. Glad I have the slim since it will bitstream DD.

Im guessing the version I downloaded is the crappy disc version then. I dont know because I never bothered using the disc version.

Even stranger, the screenshot you posted doesn't match the disk or the new diskless version.
post #268 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have no issue at all getting Dolby Digital + from my phat PS3.

My connection is HDMI from PS3 to receiver.
post #269 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Even stranger, the screenshot you posted doesn't match the disk or the new diskless version.

So what the hell is it then? lol

Im thinking Sony is a bit overwhelmed right now and will update the Netflix download icon to give everyone the proper 2.00 version. Atleast I hope. As it stands now.. Until they update the version on my PS3.. I'll continue to watch Netflix on my 360 because its a sleeker, faster version.

post #270 of 1195 Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Liked: 93
Guys with the old crap interface - Have you gone in to the Game Data and PS3 Save Game areas and deleted everything Netflix related? The disc was really just a key, with newer versions like the update that added search, being a download. I wouldn't be surprised if that download was still hiding on your harddrive somewhere, cached in one of the couple of data areas.

I would delete everything Netflix related in all of the user accessible areas then redownload the app.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page