Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/


"gets 1080i streaming and 5.1 surround sound."


bout time.....

EDIT: Eric Lempel ( VP Network Operations ) states 1080p
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...comment-468032


A quick rundown so far...

1). New faster, streamlined GUI for quick search and add to queue.

2). 1080p on select titles. (Hopefully identified as such)

3). Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround Sound

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
MrHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome. Knew it was coming in October, glad it isn't the end . I actually just took my plan down to 1 DVD/Blu-Ray at a time as I will probably be streaming mostly, but still want the option to get something in.
MrHunt is offline  
post #3 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'd love to somehow get two CE devices for the same price I pay now, but I think I'd have to upgrade to two disc.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

tgable is offline  
post #4 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I'd love to somehow get two CE devices for the same price I pay now, but I think I'd have to upgrade to two disc.

What do you mean? I thought you could have 6 total instances of Netflix streaming licenses at a time (3 computers, 3 boxes; 4 computer 2 boxes; etc.) If you want to add another, you have to deactivate one first.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #5 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was just going to post that but didn't know it was 1080i as well! Awesome.

Time to start using my PS3 again (i've been using my XBOX since I like the interface better and didn't require a disc).

Would like to see a list of titles (or a way to identify them in the interface)
mproper is offline  
post #6 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IeraseU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is fantastic news. The disk based Netflix was functional, but this takes the experience to a whole new level.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
IeraseU is offline  
post #7 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:


"Netflix required an audio solution that could efficiently deliver an outstanding surround sound experience for a wide range of consumer devices. Dolby Digital Plus proved to be the best solution to meet our needs and the needs of our device partners."Dolby Digital Plus supports up to 7.1 channels of premium-quality surround sound....

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/1...ober-18th.html
darthrsg is offline  
post #8 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

This is fantastic news. The disk based Netflix was functional, but this takes the experience to a whole new level.

No kidding. Did not see a way in the video to identify if a specific title was 1080i or 5.1 though. Can't wait to try it out. Is it the 18th yet?
mproper is offline  
post #9 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bazylik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yay.. maybe I won't cancel my netflix after all..

PSN: GeminiEffect
Bazylik is offline  
post #10 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That's friggin awesome!
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #11 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm totally diggin' the new GUI as well....it looks pretty good. It's also nice to see them getting with Dolby on the 5.1, kudos.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is offline  
post #12 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Now all we need is uncompressed audio.

Seriously though, great news.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is online now  
post #13 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Now all we need is uncompressed audio.

LOL. And only 1080_i_....I mean, that will look like crap on everybody's 20 foot screens! It'll never take off and is doomed for failure.
mproper is offline  
post #14 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ballen420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 3,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

This is huge. Been my one and only complaint with streaming movies/shows.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
ballen420 is offline  
post #15 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

LOL. And only 1080_i_....I mean, that will look like crap on everybody's 20 foot screens! It'll never take off and is doomed for failure.

Well, interlace instead of progressive as it relates to screen resolution is not an issue at all tbh. It is a big deal for games, but with movies they have motion blur so there is no difference in image quality between 1080i and 1080p films whatsoever.

What degrades quality is how much more compressed the video file streamed over the 'net is compared to a Blu-ray version of the same film, especially if the quality varies based on your dload speed as some streaming service providers do.

In any case, many people can't fully take advantage of the 1080 resolution of their HDTVs because of the nature of the distance-to-TV size ratio matched against their visual accuity. A person with 20/20 vision needs to be roughly 9-feet or closer to a 60" HDTV to fully see the difference between 1080i/P and 720P. The smaller the set (and the worse the eyesight), the closer you have to be.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is online now  
post #16 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hopefully some sort of indication will be utilized on those titles taking advantage of the new codecs...

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is offline  
post #17 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Now all we need is uncompressed audio.

Seriously though, great news.

+1, how long before streaming blu-ray? Next year maybe
JChin is offline  
post #18 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Remember kids, your 20 foot screens can't display an interlaced image anyhow, it may come in interlaced but your display will change it to progressive regardless.....

Its nice to know they will push an enhanced resolution, but will wonder how this really affects compression...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

HeadRusch is offline  
post #19 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Well, interlace instead of progressive as it relates to screen resolution is not an issue at all tbh. It is a big deal for games, but with movies they have motion blur so there is no difference in image quality between 1080i and 1080p films whatsoever.

What degrades quality is how much more compressed the video file streamed over the 'net is compared to a Blu-ray version of the same film, especially if the quality varies based on your dload speed as some streaming service providers do.

In any case, many people can't fully take advantage of the 1080 resolution of their HDTVs because of the nature of the distance-to-TV size ratio matched against their visual accuity. A person with 20/20 vision needs to be roughly 9-feet or closer to a 60" HDTV to fully see the difference between 1080i/P and 720P. The smaller the set (and the worse the eyesight), the closer you have to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Remember kids, your 20 foot screens can't display an interlaced image anyhow, it may come in interlaced but your display will change it to progressive regardless.....

Its nice to know they will push an enhanced resolution, but will wonder how this really affects compression...


Thanks for the explanation, but I was being sarcastic. Stupid sarcasm not coming across.

AS for compression, if it looks remotely as good as the 1080p smooth streaming from the Zune marketplace on XBOX, I'll be thrilled.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

+1, how long before streaming blu-ray? Next year maybe

You can't stream Blu-Ray. It's a disc format
mproper is offline  
post #20 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Well, interlace instead of progressive as it relates to screen resolution is not an issue at all tbh. It is a big deal for games, but with movies they have motion blur so there is no difference in image quality between 1080i and 1080p films whatsoever.

I don't fully agree with this. The reality is that they are going to be sending a 1080 60i signal out for a movie that was encoded at 24p. Which I am assuming the PS3 will not be made to properly IVTC and output as 24p (they have yet to allow the PS3 to output anything other than discs at 24p.)

Now it can be argued that theoretically it shouldn't matter and that properly interlaced 1080 60i should be able to be IVTCed at any point in the chain and correctly get back to 24p, but the reality is that I have yet to see film, originally encoded at 24p, output as 1080 60i with motion that is as smooth as it looks when it is properly sent out as 24p to begin with. Maybe they will handle the transcoding properly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

In any case, many people can't fully take advantage of the 1080 resolution of their HDTVs because of the nature of the distance-to-TV size ratio matched against their visual accuity. A person with 20/20 vision needs to be roughly 9-feet or closer to a 60" HDTV to fully see the difference between 1080i/P and 720P. The smaller the set (and the worse the eyesight), the closer you have to be.

Many, ..but not all of us.

Anyway, I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never been overly impressed with the Netflix experience through the PS3. I'd go so far as to say that computer playback was superior. The PS3 does such a horrible job of taking the existing 24 fps that Netflix streams at and outputting it with poor motion errors, that it wasn't very usable imo. Not to mention that the last time I tried the Netflix on the PS3 the audio sync was skewed by over a second.

Hopefully with native playback and these other changes, they will properly address some of these issues and the Netflix experience will be improved markedly on the PS3!

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #21 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^Netflix worked flawlessly for me...until my two PS3s stopped reading the disc. I cannot WAIT for this disc-less version to activate on the 18th. I will restart my account the second it goes live. Blu-ray, Netflix, and PlayOn, oh my!
tfoltz is offline  
post #22 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't expect top quality when streaming, I expect acceptable quality, which is what they deliver. In fact they deliver significantly better than 'acceptable' quality. They appear to be offering "a bit more" now, so i appreciate it as such. PS: My netflix disc stopped working a few weeks ago too, were all these SUPPOSED to fail right around now!?

I mean I know all about planned obsolescence but seriously....

For what its worth tho, my days of ISF Calibration and "freezing the screen so I can walk up and make sure I am indeed getting every little item of detail" are long behind me, I realized from the couch, with the movie playing, most of that nonsense falls by the wayside, so stream away...720p was good enough for me...1080i/p would be better but in the end the difference to the end user is going to go largely unnoticed I think.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

HeadRusch is offline  
post #23 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

For what its worth tho, my days of ISF Calibration and "freezing the screen so I can walk up and make sure I am indeed getting every little item of detail" are long behind me, I realized from the couch, with the movie playing, most of that nonsense falls by the wayside, so stream away...720p was good enough for me...1080i/p would be better but in the end the difference to the end user is going to go largely unnoticed I think.

Same here. With the current HD offerings, I do notice some macroblocking or fuzziness here and there of course, but for the most part, I'm over the whole nitpicking thing. That being said, some titles still look like crap on streaming, but that's par-for-the-course with any format...some are encoded better than others.

I'm mostly excited about the 5.1 sound, which was lacking. I don't think I'll notice a difference between 1080i and 720p on my particular setup (I'm sure others will on their setups though, so it's still a welcome addition).

I'm sure we'll still here complaints that it's not 1080p 7.1 lossless with a 25MBps bitrate, but I was happy before with Netflix streaming, and am happier now.
mproper is offline  
post #24 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JayMan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Short Pump, VA
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunt View Post

Awesome. Knew it was coming in October, glad it isn't the end . I actually just took my plan down to 1 DVD/Blu-Ray at a time as I will probably be streaming mostly, but still want the option to get something in.

How much HD is available to stream through Netflix?
I've been waiting for this to be available through PS3 (w/o disc).
JayMan007 is offline  
post #25 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

How much HD is available to stream through Netflix?
I've been waiting for this to be available through PS3 (w/o disc).

I show 1557 HD titles currently available in the US. Official numbers are higher than that because they count each episode of a series as a title. Unsure if these same titles will be the 1080i/5.1 titles or not, but wouldn't be surprised if that selection is a subset of the current HD selection.

Quality of titles is dependent upon tastes: I personally have no issue keeping over 80 titles in my instant queue, HD and SD combined, but YMMV depending on what types of movies you like.
mproper is offline  
post #26 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
JMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What kind of internet speed do you need to get decent quality out of this. I tired it awhile back (about a month after they released the disc) and it looked horrible, just wondering if it was format or a bandwidth issue. 1080i and 5.1 DD sure beats AppleTV's offerings.

Like JayMan007 how much I use this will be based on how many titles will be available to download in this new format. The wife has already asked about getting a Blu-Ray player for the bedroom, mostly for Netflix, so I might grab another PS3 just for her.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
JMII is offline  
post #27 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Can you dload temporary, DRM movie files to watch if you want (like PSN movies), or are you forced to stream?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is online now  
post #28 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

What kind of internet speed do you need to get decent quality out of this. I tired it awhile back (about a month after they released the disc) and it looked horrible, just wondering if it was format or a bandwidth issue. 1080i and 5.1 DD sure beats AppleTV's offerings.

Like JayMan007 how much I use this will be based on how many titles will be available to download in this new format. The wife has already asked about getting a Blu-Ray player for the bedroom, mostly for Netflix, so I might grab another PS3 just for her.

Don't know for the new format. For the current 720p streaming, they recommend (I believe) 5-6 to get the highest quality. But I know people with a lot less (3-4) that seem to be able to stream it ok. My guess is that the new format will not require much more than that, but I don't really know (if I had to pull a number, I'd guess Netflix will recommend 6-8). I don't think the sound really takes up much room at all, but the higher resolution will.

Last I checked, the PS3 doesn't give you any quality indicators (AFAIK, all the other devices give you 1-4 dots or bars, plus an HD indicator so you can easily tell if you're getting the best quality). I haven't used the PS3 for quite awhile for streaming (I use my XBOX, but obviously will be switching back to the PS3 on the 18th), so not sure if that's still the case or not, or if the new app will add this functionality. I surely hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Can you dload temporary, DRM movie files to watch if you want (like PSN movies), or are you forced to stream?

No, it's not a 24 hour rental or anything, you have to stream.
mproper is offline  
post #29 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Member
 
kayo_michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Babylon, NY
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is great news! I didn't waste any time pestering my office xbox collegue with this. Always fun to have some friendly rivalry between the 2 platforms.

I told him to put that article in his pipe and smoke it, xbox fanboy!

hahahaha.

PS3: Nikola_Tesla1856
kayo_michael is offline  
post #30 of 1195 Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jamieva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I was just going to post that but didn't know it was 1080i as well! Awesome.

Time to start using my PS3 again (i've been using my XBOX since I like the interface better and didn't require a disc).

Would like to see a list of titles (or a way to identify them in the interface)


The current disc version has a search feature. A better option that I use is websites like instantwatcher.com or feedflix.com (my preference) that show what is available, what is coming in the next 7-14 days, and what expires soon.
jamieva is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off