NHL GameCenter Live - stream hockey games through the PSN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The PSN will have a new app called NHL GameCenter Live to stream Hockey games. You can also check out stats, profiles, archived games and more. Thanks to Hatcher for clarification of the pricing Hatcher: the app is a one time fee of $10, but free for PS+ members. You still have to subscribe to GameCenter which is $170 for the year. The "Vault" of games in the library is $5 separately unless you subscribe to the full service.

Along with the Major League Baseball app, the PS3 has a few nice options for streaming live sports. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease add NBA League Pass support!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Nice. I might become a member of Playstation + just for that

As a hockey fan, they got me with this!

Aslso glad to see Sony providing content to PSN+ customers.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Now we're talking! I couldn't decide between Gamecenter and Center Ice, so I just decided to catch the occasional free game on Versus. This is the type of thing that I signed on to Plus for, and it's good to see them expand with a fairly major deal. For free under Plus is a great deal, but it's also cheaper to buy it on PSN than it is on PC. Win win.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #4 of 24 Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The app is a one time fee of $10, but free for PS+ members. You still have to subscribe to GameCenter which is $170 for the year.

I will definitely be getting this someday, may have to wait until next season when I am no longer a student.

PS Blog

Quote:

Hi Everyone - I'm excited to announce that the NHL is streaming its way onto the PS3! Beginning today, all PS3 users in the United States and Canada can download the new NHL GameCenter application, an exclusive offer for PS3 users making it the first and only gaming console to stream live hockey games in HD.

NHL GameCenter LIVE subscribers who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content, can now stream live out-of-market regular season and select playoff game broadcasts in HD by downloading the NHL GameCenter application on the PS3 system. In addition to offering live hockey games, NHL GameCenter LIVE also allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 500 classic games from NHL Vault. Check out the demo to see how it works:

PS3 users that do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE will still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application. Fans will have access to features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and profiles, and the full NHL scoreboard.

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Calendar with Sharks favorite team

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Video Playback with Goal Info NHL GameCenter PS3 - Classic Games

You can download the NHL application for $9.99 and access it under the Video icon on the XMB menu. However, if you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you can download the NHL GameCenter application for free, continuing PlayStation's goal to deliver exclusive opportunities only made available to PlayStation Plus members.

If you aren't an NHL GameCenter LIVE subscriber, you can sign up by visiting www.ps3.com/nhl to get an account and ultimately link it to your PS3 using a registration code obtained through the app on your device. NHL GameCenter LIVE is priced at $169 (U.S.) for an annual subscription and includes the NHL Vault service. NHL Vault is also available separately for $4.95 (U.S.) a month.

We hope you enjoy watching all of the excitement of the NHL delivered via PlayStation Network!

PSN = Hatcher14
post #5 of 24 Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

First writeup I read wasn't this clear, thanks for the extra info. I'll probably bite anyway because having the stream on the big screen is worth it over my PC monitor.

post #6 of 24 Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
psha NBA.. all I want is MLS
post #7 of 24 Old 11-20-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This app is perfect for guys like me. I follow an out of market team, but have Time Warner Cable. The center ice package sucks, its terrible, blurry sd quality.

Is the NHL Gamecenter ps3 application in HD? Can out of market games stream in HD and how do they look and perform?
post #8 of 24 Old 11-20-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

This app is perfect for guys like me. I follow an out of market team, but have Time Warner Cable. The center ice package sucks, its terrible, blurry sd quality.

Is the NHL Gamecenter ps3 application in HD? Can out of market games stream in HD and how do they look and perform?

I've been watching the highlight reels which tend to run from 5-7 minutes. Almost all of them are in HD, but there are occasional games that are not. You're going to be stuck with whatever the home team feed is, so maybe check the TV coverage of your teams network?

post #9 of 24 Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I've been watching the highlight reels which tend to run from 5-7 minutes. Almost all of them are in HD, but there are occasional games that are not. You're going to be stuck with whatever the home team feed is, so maybe check the TV coverage of your teams network?

Ok thanks.

I watched a few reviews of the App, and it seems quite amazing. I am probablly going to spend the $10 on the app, toy around with it, and then subscribe.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
any updates on people are enjoying this. I did not realize it was out. I will be getting it tonight, just wondering if people like it? I enjoyed the mlb one.

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #11 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Liked: 13
I don't subscribe to Center Ice so only can look at replays but the app itself is not bad. Relatively easy to get around and decent functionality.

On the negative side, the streaming is nowhere near as well done as Netflix as it doesn't seem adaptive and a lot of the time I find streams will get glitchy (looks like old school MPEG2 streams in most cases). The fast forward / rewind controls for video are totally borked, at least for replays. The transport controls only toggle on and then start jumping very quickly in large increments which makes them useless for short videos like replays. Also no frame by frame. The start up time for the app is also slower than I would like (the same or a little more than Netflix).

On the plus side, the replays themselves are way better than what you would see on your standard sports channel (5 minutes is a lot of hockey). The app is handy as a game calendar and also for checking out league standings. You can look up player stats as well, so it can replace some of the functionality you might go to nhl.com for.

As a hockey fan I'm satisfied though it does suck that the app looks like it is only good for a year at a time.

Cheers
post #12 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Has anyone with a PS3 had issues with the gamecenter app not working.
I paid for it and it worked for a bit but now all I get is the NHL logo and the flashing pucks. Then when I hit the PS button to exit the application it re-starts my PS3.
I phoned Sony but the dude I talked was no help at all. He didn't even know what the NHL was. So I deleted it and re-intalled it and it worked the 1st time but now it doesn't work again. From what I can gather you have to delete and re-install it every time you want to use it.
That is such a pain cause everytime you do this you have to enter a code on the computer to activate it.
If anybody has any ideas or other work-arounds that would be great.
Thanx in advance.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscreenbob View Post

Has anyone with a PS3 had issues with the gamecenter app not working.
I paid for it and it worked for a bit but now all I get is the NHL logo and the flashing pucks. Then when I hit the PS button to exit the application it re-starts my PS3.
I phoned Sony but the dude I talked was no help at all. He didn't even know what the NHL was. So I deleted it and re-intalled it and it worked the 1st time but now it doesn't work again. From what I can gather you have to delete and re-install it every time you want to use it.
That is such a pain cause everytime you do this you have to enter a code on the computer to activate it.
If anybody has any ideas or other work-arounds that would be great.
Thanx in advance.

I have had the same problem. I probably deleted and reinstalled 3 times. I have no idea the cause/fix but it pisses me off.

post #14 of 24 Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So NHL Live costs $79 for the rest of the season...+$10 for the PS3 App.

Can this be right? There is only 1 month of regular season left and they want $90 for it? but an entire season is $180.

So...
I live in Vancouver, will I get access to all out of market (non canucks) games live?

Will I get any playoff games?

the alternative is to pay my cable company for "road to the playoffs for $71.

Does this account work on iPhone/PC/Boxee?
post #15 of 24 Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
So NHL Live costs $79 for the rest of the season...+$10 for the PS3 App.

Can this be right? There is only 1 month of regular season left and they want $90 for it? but an entire season is $180.

So...
I live in Vancouver, will I get access to all out of market (non canucks) games live?

Will I get any playoff games?

the alternative is to pay my cable company for "road to the playoffs for $71.

Does this account work on iPhone/PC/Boxee?
I would think you should get access to all out of market games. I live in Ontario and I only don't get Toronto & Ottawa. Montreal is iffy.

Anyway, I probably will never return to this site, but I just wanted to mention that even though they want $80 for the rest of the season, it's actually only $20/month if you pay monthly. So if you go with that it should only cost you $40.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Anyway, I probably will never return to this site, but I just wanted to mention that even though they want $80 for the rest of the season, it's actually only $20/month if you pay monthly. So if you go with that it should only cost you $40.
I would be careful with that. I believe if you pay monthly, then you pay until June. So you would pay $20 for 4 months=$80. May want to check it out but that is my understanding. Also remember you can avoid the $10 to PS3 for their app if you just watch the games on your computer (or have previously joined PSN+). Go Bruins!

from gamecenter.nhl.com:

What are my payment options?

When you subscribe to NHL GameCenter LIVE™, you have the option of paying in an easy, single payment for the entire season or to pay for your season subscription in monthly installments. Please note that when you sign up for NHL GameCenter LIVE™, you are signing up for a full-season subscription and not a monthly service, even if monthly installments is the chosen method of payment.

If I choose to pay in monthly installments, how many times will I be charged?

To estimate the number of payments you will be expected to make over the coming months, divide the single payment price by the monthly installment price. For example, the full season package is available as a single payment for $169.00 or as monthly payments of $20.99. $169.00 divided by $20.99 is equivalent to 8 monthly payments.

Remember, NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is only available as a full season subscription and not as a monthly service. Please note our cancellation policy below.

post #17 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

psha NBA.. all I want is MLS

you and me both. I imagine we're a small group though. I'm just hoping they improve the video performance from last year. I got a refund because I wasn't satisfied with the smoothness of the feeds. Unfortunately had to settle for the direct kick package through comcast even though they don't offer any HD.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #18 of 24 Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Reviving an old thread. Now that the lockout is over I'm considering the Game Center package via PS3 versus Center Ice with my satellite tv provider.

The key attraction for me is the on demand feature, as well as having a home/away broadcast option. The big concern for me is the picture quality. I'm guessing that it would be Netflix quality at best, which is a little soft for my liking.

Anyone have an update? Thanks.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Even with a solid internet connection, the performance and PQ of Game Center varied some for me last year. Some games it was pretty clear, occasionally there were some pretty severe buffering issues, leading to freezes or a pixelated presentation. Overall PQ is not HD. I would say it's lower resolution than Amazon Instant Video. Not bad, but definitely not HD. If I had the option I might go for Center Ice for the PQ and performance stability. I would miss the immediate highlights and the game replays though.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback, that's what i'm hearing elsewhere as well. I found some reviews here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1041267&page=32

Maybe the NHL will be good enough to give us a free preview in light of the lockout, and I can give it a try. I have the NHL app downloaded and the archive video doesn't look too bad on a PS3 to HD plasma
post #21 of 24 Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM

anyone else having a problem with GC? Anytime I click on a live game (out of market) whether on PS3 or xbox it says game is blacked out. However, I can watch the same game on my nexus 7 or ipad?

post #22 of 24 Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Litigator View Post

anyone else having a problem with GC? Anytime I click on a live game (out of market) whether on PS3 or xbox it says game is blacked out. However, I can watch the same game on my nexus 7 or ipad?

Its has some issues as I first time trying it and it freezes, delays....PQ is not as good as my PC's.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Its has some issues as I first time trying it and it freezes, delays....PQ is not as good as my PC's.

was a fios problem for me. for some reason it was locating my ip as the whole coountry so ever game was blacked out. fixed with a phone call.

post #24 of 24 Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 PM

I am having a problem with it saying I am blacked out for games played in the US and I am in Western canada. GCL says not their problem. It isn't every game but it is annoying that it happens.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page