Why Am I Still Getting Motion Blur On 120hz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have this model tv right here (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-50...0886302&sr=8-1)

I'm noticing when I play games on my PS3 (connected via hdmi/Comcast also connected hdmi) that Im getting motion blur,When watching TV I don't notice any motion blur at all

Should I be worried that its an issue with the TV?

Ive had many problems with a previous model of Sony Bravia that after 3 different problems with that TV concerning an audio issue they finally sent me a different model which happens to be the one listed above and would hate to have to call again and say theres an issue when theres really not.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

It's possible that the blur you are noticing is actually part of the games you are playing and not cause by the TV.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazykevy View Post

It's possible that the blur you are noticing is actually part of the games you are playing and not cause by the TV.

Best way to describe is like this, In a FPS such as COD Black ops if Im facing a light object with a black/dark backround and I have the character jump the light and dark object will "smear" a little

Or another example is with NHL 11... When playing your guy has a red dimaond over his head ala sims......Well this bright red object will trail as you skate on the bright white ice...

Sorry if none of that makes sense but its the most accurate way to describe it
post #4 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Liked: 93
One of the reasons is that certain transitions on an LCD take longer than a 60hz frame, or 16ms. While LCDs commonly claim 4ms or 8ms response times, that only counts for very specific color changes. There are still plenty of LCD cell changes that take +40ms. You have found the types of color changes that take longer than a frame or two on your display.

In addition, blur and motion filters are quite common in games, in an attempt to hide their commonly 20-30fps nature on consoles.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

One of the reasons is that certain transitions on an LCD take loner than a 60hz frame, or 16ms. While LCDs commonly claim 4ms or 8ms response times, that only counts for very specific color changes. There are still plenty of LCD cell changes that take +40ms. You have found the types of color changes that take longer than a frame or two on your display.

In addition, blur and motion filters are quite common in games, in an attempt to hide their commonly 20-30fps nature on consoles.

So in your opinion this isn't a problem even though its a 120hz...I was under the impression that there was No motion blur on sets that are 120/240hz

I just wanna make sure that the Tv is normal
post #6 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Liked: 832
It is, the source is just interpolating frames most likely. Many new TV'shave software that interpolates frames on the fly, but the algorithms tend to have problems with videogames and some movies. Try setting a gamemode on the TV that plays at 60/30hz if possible and see if you have issues.

Check out these for reference:
http://www.hometheater.com/gearworks/707gear/

post #7 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

One of the reasons is that certain transitions on an LCD take longer than a 60hz frame, or 16ms. While LCDs commonly claim 4ms or 8ms response times, that only counts for very specific color changes. There are still plenty of LCD cell changes that take +40ms. You have found the types of color changes that take longer than a frame or two on your display.

What he said. 120hz, 240hz, 480hz...its the panels response time in ms that matter and creates the lag/motion blur. No different with a lot of other tech toys, numbers are bells and whistles to suck consumers in.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You can still get motion blur on a 120hz set. I've had a 120hz Sammy for almost 3 years, and it isn't perfect technology. Go plasma if you don't want motion blur, the VT25 Pannys are really nice.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

LCD = motion blur

Simple is that unfortunately. Great TV, but you can't eliminate the blur completely on an LCD.

AVS Madden League -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #10 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Appreciate it a lot
post #11 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
u shouldnt get any motion blur on any games like u describe, specially on a 120hz set, i have a 60hz samsung lcd in my bedroom, the b550 and theres no motion blur at all like u say..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
post #12 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

u shouldnt get any motion blur on any games like u describe, specially on a 120hz set, i have a 60hz samsung lcd in my bedroom, the b550 and theres no motion blur at all like u say..

So if you were me would you call Sony??
post #13 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM

No. Lamansasa just won't admit to himself that his set blurs, or just doesn't see it. His set blurs a bit more than yours, so that should tell you about how far his advice goes on this topic.

Wait. EDIT: Now I realize that I only thought I knew which set you had, but suddenly realize that your link is extremely broken, not giving us that information. Point still stands. Samsung B550's blur.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan_McSwaGG View Post

So if you were me would you call Sony??

No, u shouldnt call sony cuz its not a problem with the tv, its a problem with your specific MODEL, that model has motion blur, my samsung b550 does NOT, you can go to a store and check the new C550 models 60hz tvs, they dont have motion blur as u describe with the ghosting effects and what not. my set has slight blur with REALLY fast movements like in Call of duty and thats also when the camera pans really fast but other than that i dont see the ghosting effect and i do KNOW what u mean cuz i saw that effect at the stores but yea mine has none like the ones u described like in NHL and such.

::
post #15 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Oh, so now it does blur. Or doesn't. You just said it does both in the same... sentence? I don't know. What do you call that thing that you just vomited all over my screen?

In addition, Mr. Period is very disappointed today.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, u shouldnt call sony cuz its not a problem with the tv, its a problem with your specific MODEL,

Ok the reason I was coming on here to ask the board if its an issue is because out of all the reviews I read on this model whether it was on Bestbuy.com or Amazon.com there was ZERO/NO mention of anyone having the issue I am.. Id assume if it was a model issue Id hear about it somewhere but apparently no.. Which is why I asked if Sony should be notified

Quote:

Wait. EDIT: Now I realize that I only thought I knew which set you had, but suddenly realize that your link is extremely broken, not giving us that information. Point still stands. Samsung B550's blur.

I didnt realize my link didnt work.. My model number is KDL-40EX500

Amazon link>> http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-50...1115558&sr=8-1

BestBuy link>>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...x500&cp=1&lp=1

Quote:

My Exact thoughts also... I should also have mentioned that this is a replacement tv from sony, Its also a refurb which has me a little worried and if I have too I will try and insist on a FACTORY NEW model
post #17 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the issue... I took this video a couple of mins ago using my iphone.. It came out kinda weird on youtube but you can still see what Im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuqx9DAURZU
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page