Square Enix unveils new 'Tomb Raider' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 121
We'll have to wait for the next Game Informer issue for the whole story, but USA Today teased us with the release of a new Tomb Raider game:

Quote:

So how exactly did adventurer Lara Croft become the acrobatic raider of tombs we've all come to enjoy?

Prepare for the next chapter of the Tomb Raider series to delve into that question. Square Enix has announced a new title, simply called Tomb Raider, which will visit the origins of Lara's transformation into a fearless explorer.

"After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive," reads a statement from Square Enix revealing the game.

Full details will be available in the January issue of Game Informer.

Since the first Tomb Raider debuted in 1996, the franchise has sold 35 million copies. Earlier this year, the series entered the digital download space for the first time with the release of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for PC, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

Square Enix did not offer details on a release date or available platforms.

Hopefully, young Lara will be interpreted better than the "double pony-tail" Lara that appeared in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'd be happy if EA had it developed by Naughty Dog... ...and it had the internal working title of female-Nathan Drake.

I haven't played any tomb raider games in a very long time, I can't say as anything I've seen from the franchise recently has piqued my interest.

-Suntan
post #3 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Underworld was quite good. Not as refined as Uncharted, but still pretty fun and captivating. Crystal Dynamics has been pretty good to the franchise IMO.
post #4 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Source--above mentioned USA Today story:

Quote:

Now if only they would devote as much attention to the gameplay mechanics as this (stunning) image.

If I remember correctly, one of the podcasts (Official Playstation Magazine -- UK) I listened to conjectured that an "open world" Lara (or one that wasn't quite as linear as previous ones) might be in the offing. Don't remember which podcast, but it was fairly recent. Interested parties should prob. download the last 5 episodes off of iTunes to find it. Seem to remember that it was titled, "This is NOT the Tomb Raider episode," or something like that.

All of this is TOTAL rumor/conjecture, but based on this, it seems plausible at least:

Quote:

"After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive," reads a statement from Square Enix revealing the game."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Why do I have a bad feeling about square doing tomb raider? I have visions of super corky japanese characters, over the top plot, really bad music and more.

The last two tomb raiders were actually quite good.
post #6 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Eidos Interactive is a Subsidiary of Square Enix. Both the previous Tomb Raider games you mention are Square Enix games.
post #7 of 100 Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Quite a few more details here. Sorry, didn't feel like transcribing:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...4%201&t=175822
post #8 of 100 Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I'd be happy if EA had it developed by Naughty Dog... ...and it had the internal working title of female-Nathan Drake.

I haven't played any tomb raider games in a very long time, I can't say as anything I've seen from the franchise recently has piqued my interest.

-Suntan

Try Anniversary (remake of OG TR) if you get a chance. Fantastic on PC. One of my all-time faves, better than the originals.

Now what I'd really like is a remake of TR II. But CD has said it ain't happening.
post #9 of 100 Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Quite a few more details here. Sorry, didn't feel like transcribing:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...4%201&t=175822

PS3Trophies.org wrote up a pretty good (& brief) summary based on the scans that you linked to--

Quote:
GI Mag Scans Reveal More Tomb Raider Details
Written Tuesday, December 07, 2010 by Richard Walker

Crystal Dynamics' bold decision to reboot Tomb Raider with a young and inexperienced Lara Croft is much more then skin deep it seems, as not only has the iconic heroine been given a significant makeover, but the entire game has been changed, thrusting Lara into an extraordinary situation where she's fighting for her very survival.
  • With Game Informer's latest issue delivering the massive reveal of the Tomb Raider reboot, some industrious scamp at a blog called PlayStation Informer has scanned the contents of the magazine's cover story, which exposes a whole list of meaty details well worth poring over:
  • Lara is 21, fresh from academy and eager to prove herself to the world
  • Tomb Raider is both a reboot of the franchise and a reboot of the entire brand,so there'll be no live-action model hired to promote the game this time
  • Crystal Dynamics is implementing performance capture to make Lara "as believable and relatable as possible"
  • There are disturbing death sequences. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest with a makeshift blade and then closing her eyes after she's dead while ominously whispering in her ear. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another drops and crushes her skull
  • Lara starts with no tools or weapons and CD isn't going into specifics on weapons yet, although concept art shows a climbing axe, bow, shotgun and pistol
  • The archaic lock-on targeting system has been removed in favour of a free aim system to "make Tomb Raider competitive amongst our peers in the genre, while maintaining a unique flavour" says Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher. I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors, says Gallagher. There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided. It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor, says director Noah Hughes.
  • Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities as the game unfolds. Lara will initially be less graceful than before, but her athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island will open up to Lara
  • There are base camps where you'll be able to combine salvage items to create something new while gaining access to a skill system that will upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimise backtracking
  • You'll need to gather food, water and other valuable resources in order to survive
  • There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the wreck of the ship named 'Endurance' that brings Lara to the coast of the island
  • There'll be mysteries to solve on the island, such as discovering the motivations of the natives, the gravitional pull of the island and the origins of the graveyard of sea vessels littering the shoreline
It all sounds incredibly intriguing and no doubt there'll be more announcements regarding the game as it marches towards an as yet unannounced release date.

post #10 of 100 Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New information on this game from Playstation Lifestyle warrants the bump of this thread.

Quote:

PSLS » Developer » News » PS3 / PlayStation 3
Tomb Raider Hits Alpha, Set for Simultaneous Release Worldwide
01/25/2012 Written by Alex Osborn

It looks like development on Tomb Raider has been going quite smoothly over at Crystal Dynamics, as the team has just announced that the game has entered the alpha stage.

During the latest episode of the dev team's official show, The Crystal Habit Podcast, the progress of Tomb Raider was covered in full by senior producer Kyle Peschel and art director Brian Horto.

In addition to confirming its alpha status, they went on to clarify that they expect to be in this stage for a minimum of two months, with another two or so dedicated to work with the beta version. So, with at least another four months to go, we can reasonably expect to see Tomb Raider go gold during the end of May at the earliest.

On top of that, Karl Stewart, Crystal Dynamic's global brand director confirmed that the game will have a global, simultaneous release via an FAQ on their official forums.

For more information on the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, including its impending release date announcement, keep it locked to PlayStation LifeStyle.

I bumped this thread because it looks like the new Tomb Raider will probably release this year.

I'm personally not feeling this reboot (which is why I stopped posting on this thread). Last I read, this was Lara Croft meets Lost. Not a fan of the direction that I think the devs are going and where I think the franchise is heading (supposedly this game is the first of a "new direction," but comments by others on other game sites seem to indicate some excitement for this new direction--so, I decided to resurrect this thread.)

Full Disclosure--unless the devs show me that this game is more than Lost starring Lara Croft, I'm passing on this game. The only other TR game I've ever passed on was Angel of Darkness.

post #11 of 100 Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

New information on this game from Playstation Lifestyle warrants the bump of this thread.

I bumped this thread because it looks like the new Tomb Raider will probably release this year.

I'm personally not feeling this reboot (which is why I stopped posting on this thread). Last I read, this was Lara Croft meets Lost. Not a fan of the direction that I think the devs are going and where I think the franchise is heading (supposedly this game is the first of a "new direction," but comments by others on other game sites seem to indicate some excitement for this new direction--so, I decided to resurrect this thread.)

Full Disclosure--unless the devs show me that this game is more than Lost starring Lara Croft, I'm passing on this game. The only other TR game I've ever passed on was Angel of Darkness.

Versus aliens and dinosaurs in the 1st one ? ;-)
post #12 of 100 Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Versus aliens and dinosaurs in the 1st one ? ;-)

Personally, I'd rather watch both Independence Day and Jurassic Park 3 (approx 4 hours) in one sitting than to have to suffer through 1 hour long episode Lost--but then again, that's just me.

I'm okay with the silliness of dinosaurs, aliens, and the myriad "special effects" that CORE & (to a lesser extent) Crystal Dynamics added into the Indiana Jones style adventures. Lara's original "backstory" presented in the CORE instruction manuals was silly, but functional, while the Crystal Dynamics backstory in TR Legend (intro cut scene) was actually pretty good--then they blew it with the TR Underworld story.

This "reboot" marks Lara's 3rd different backstory, & 2nd attempt at a "youngish" Lara. I was originally looking forward for this one when it was first announced--but I could care less about Lara getting shipwrecked on an Island that may or may not have caused the shipwreck and just so happens to perhaps crash the incoming rescue plane that she manages to contact (all early plot developments listed by devs earlier in the process).

The new Devil May Cry reboot can have a "living" city that's out to kill Dante, but if the new TR game wants my money, there can't be a living island out to "get" Lara. Maybe the devs changed their focus--I can't say, but I can say that Angel of Darkness had the same "moving away from Tomb Raiding" vibe as this one, and (for me) that's reason enough for me to handle it with care.

post #13 of 100 Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

Personally, I'd rather watch both Independence Day and Jurassic Park 3 (approx 4 hours) in one sitting than to have to suffer through 1 hour long episode Lost--but then again, that's just me.

I'm okay with the silliness of dinosaurs, aliens, and the myriad "special effects" that CORE & (to a lesser extent) Crystal Dynamics added into the Indiana Jones style adventures. Lara's original "backstory" presented in the CORE instruction manuals was silly, but functional, while the Crystal Dynamics backstory in TR Legend (intro cut scene) was actually pretty good--then they blew it with the TR Underworld story.

This "reboot" marks Lara's 3rd different backstory, & 2nd attempt at a "youngish" Lara. I was originally looking forward for this one when it was first announced--but I could care less about Lara getting shipwrecked on an Island that may or may not have caused the shipwreck and just so happens to perhaps crash the incoming rescue plane that she manages to contact (all early plot developments listed by devs earlier in the process).

The new Devil May Cry reboot can have a "living" city that's out to kill Dante, but if the new TR game wants my money, there can't be a living island out to "get" Lara. Maybe the devs changed their focus--I can't say, but I can say that Angel of Darkness had the same "moving away from Tomb Raiding" vibe as this one, and (for me) that's reason enough for me to handle it with care.

I just opened my copy of Tomb Raider Trilogy last weekend, so it's interesting that an update hits about the new game just after. BTW the Trilogy HD upgrade is excellent, at least in Legend which is what I've played so far. On par with the God of War upgrade and definitely worth it since Trilogy is cheap nowadays.

Shadow I understand where you're coming from- I couldn't stand Lost either . When a game dev decides to 're-boot' a series or a sequel that you enjoy as is can be really frustrating. (I'm going through the same thing with Darkness II, but I'm gonna give the demo a whirl first before jumping ship). I hope that CD doesn't go off on some tangent that is confusing or silly, or both. I will give them some latitude on the new game's story, even if it is a malevolent, 'living' island. There's always been some supernatural goings on in the TR games so maybe the shipwreck, plane crash are a 'curse'. Now that the game is officially in alpha there should be some gameplay and story footage out soon, and we'll get a better idea if they've jumped the shark or not. It's Crystal Dynamics, the same folks that did the Legacy of Kain games- not all of them, but they made all the good ones. Keep the faith.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #14 of 100 Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More news on this new game from Joystiq:

Quote:

God of War 2 director Cory Barlog joins Crystal Dynamics
by Jordan Mallory on Mar 2nd 2012 2:30PM

Cory Barlog, who served as writer and director for God of War 2, as well as "story creator" for Ghost of Sparta and creative director for Chains of Olympus, has joined Crystal Dynamics to work on its forthcoming Tomb Raider reboot and "a yet to be announced new title."

Its unclear what this transition may mean for Barlog's Mad Max project, which was reportedly in production at Avalanche Studios. "I can't comment on our project, but all I can say is that the projects we've been working on for the last two years and the one we recently started up in NY are sailing along like never before," said Avalanche Studios founder Christofer Sundberg in a statement to Eurogamer.

This either means that Mad Max is continuing without Barlog at Avalanche Studios, or that it was never there to begin with. Either way, we're looking forward to seeing what kind of vengeful, face-painting influence Barlog has on Lara Croft's future, and whether his presence at Crystal Dynamics could finally lead to Gex of War.

post #15 of 100 Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From USA Today:

Quote:

'Tomb Raider' pushed back to early 2013

By Brett Molina, USA TODAY

Video game players will have to wait a little longer for the return of Lara Croft.

Studio Crystal Dynamics confirmed in a statement on the game's official forum that the reboot of Tomb Raider will launch during the first quarter of 2013. It was originally scheduled to be released this fall.

"We're doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game, and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve," says Darrell Gallagher, the head of Crystal Dynamics, in the statement. "We believe this is the right choice, and I guarantee it will be worth the wait."

The revamped Tomb Raider represents a huge leap for Crystal Dynamics and studio Square Enix. The new Lara Croft is an inexperienced college graduate, joining an expedition aboard a salvage ship that crashes and leaves her stranded.

Fresh details on the game will likely be revealed next month at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

This was announced yesterday, so it may be old news to some, but for those who were waiting patiently for this one--looks like you'll need some more patience. Hopefully, the extra development time will lead to good things. I'm STILL on the fence for this one. Maybe if they show something at E3, I'll be able to decide either way.

post #16 of 100 Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Crystal Dynamics hasn't done wrong yet IMO. Their takeover of the TR franschise has been great. Not AAA, but surely AA.

I'm looking forward to it.
post #17 of 100 Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
With Bioshock Infinite and now this being pushed to '13, Assassin's Creed III is creeping up higher on my day-one purchase possibilities list for this fall.

But I do prefer the delay to rushed bug-fests, four patches in the first two months, and extra DLC (even some free) that didn't make it in time for the original launch.

It's also nice to see that early 2013 won't likely suffer from a drought of good single player games.
post #18 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41

Here's the latest trailer. I'm not too keen on Lara's voice actor.
post #19 of 100 Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like Tomb Raider also has a release date:

Quote:

Tomb Raider explores retail on March 5, 2013
by Xav de Matos on Jun 1st 2012 2:45AM

"I hate tombs," Lara Croft groans in the latest trailer for Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot. And you know what? For all the insanity that she goes through in the gameplay footage above, we're going to let Lara complain all she wants.

Earlier this month Square Enix announced it had delayed Tomb Raider to Q1 2013, leaving us hanging for a more definitive date. Now we have it. Lara will arrive at retail on March 5, 2013, for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

post #20 of 100 Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I'm not too keen on Lara's voice actor.

Neither am I.

The trailer seems less like Lost and more like a 3rd person version Far Cry 3 (IMO), so I'm more intrigued than I was, but some elements seem like "classic" Tomb Raider while others seem far afield.

I would say that I would wait for reviews on this one, but the reviews are going to skew high--too many people don't care for the "classic" Tomb Raider games that any reboot that isn't filled with game breaking bugs will score high (compare the scores of Die Another Day vs. Casino Royal).

I really hope there's a demo on this one.

post #21 of 100 Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 199
Well, it is supposed to be a younger, less confident Lara. I wasn't a fan of this voice either, but I can live with it if the game itself plays as good as it looks.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #22 of 100 Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Game looks awesome, but very dark and depressing. It's almost like they've moved to action horror, but are doing what Capcom is unable to (create a story and characters that you will care about).

Not sold on the VA either, since it seems she keeps going between accent and no accent. At first she sounded more like Kate Beckinsale, which would be fine, but it seems the accent disappears when she starts yelling or stressing things. Thats going to bug me.

Is the VA British?
post #23 of 100 Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Not sold on the VA either, since it seems she keeps going between accent and no accent. At first she sounded more like Kate Beckinsale, which would be fine, but it seems the accent disappears when she starts yelling or stressing things. Thats going to bug me.

Is the VA British?

Looks like we don't know--found this old tweet from one of the game designers:
Quote:

Karl Stewart‏@CrystalDKarl

Follow

Off to LA tomorrow to demo @tombraider to someone famous, and then have dinner with the new voice of Lara to discuss her announcement.

7:34 PM - 16 Oct 11 via Twitter for iPhone · Embed this Tweet

Also: The Official Playstation Magazine (UK) did a feature on possible voices for the new Lara Croft back in March 2012.

You can find the link here to see who they think are possible candidates for the VA:

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/03/05/tomb-raider-2012-who%e2%80%99ll-be-the-new-voice-of-lara-croft/

post #24 of 100 Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

E3 2012: Tomb Raider Preview – Survival of the Fittest
Written Wednesday, June 20, 2012 By Dan Webb

Lara’s had some tricky outings in her time – I mean, she was in Angel of Darkness for one, and that was rough on all of us – but her adventure in Crystal Dynamics’ reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise has to be the toughest time she's had yet. Stranded on an unknown island off the coast of Japan, Tomb Raider tells Lara Croft’s origin story and how she’ll have to dig deep and survive on an island full of inconceivable terrors.

The multi-faceted E3 behind-closed-doors demo – which was completely different to that shown at the Microsoft press conference – kicks off near the beginning of the game as Lara sets off into the wilderness to search for survivors. In typical Tomb Raider fashion – with a smidgen of Uncharted thanks to the fluent animations, cinematic moments and dynamic movement – Lara navigates a narrow cliff edge as thunder booms around her. Spotting a crashed plane hanging from the cliff, Lara shimmies and jumps her way up it to gain access to higher ground. In typical Uncharted cinematic fashion, the plane crumbles around her and falls, just as Lara makes her way to safety.

She’s alone, injured, lost and in need of companionship. All the young soon-to-be adventurer can find is a backpack, calling out to see whether it belongs to anyone and getting no response, she continues on. With the trees swaying, wind howling and the rain lashing down as if the end of the world was nigh, the very cinematic – but playable – opening involves Lara jumping for ledges, slipping off, falling and being subjected to hell, establishing what will no doubt be a testing time for the young adventurer. Finding a handheld transceiver, she lights a fire and settles down for the night.

Tomb Raider is a tale of survival, so in the next sequence of events Lara has to venture further into the unknown to find food to survive. In order to hunt though she’ll need some equipment and thankfully – or rather, unfortunately, depending on how you look at it – she finds a fellow companion, Dale, dead and hung up in a tree with a bow over his shoulder. It’s dark stuff. Very dark indeed. Climbing up the tree and walking on the branch, Lara is able to grab the bow, so now she just needs to push on and find something to hunt.

In the next area Lara must kill a deer for food in order to survive. The stubborn deer prance and jump through the trees and the stream, making Lara work for her kill, knocking her over in the process. After a few arrows in the midriff of the deer, Lara is able to take the helpless animal down, apologising to the poor beast as she stands over its corpse. It’s an important moment in the game and a pivotal moment in Lara’s life. It’s her first kill, and being forced to rip it open for meat with the arrowhead moments later surely just adds to the trauma.

From there it’s a matter of using either the survival instinct – which gives Lara beacons to head to – or landmarks like the stream to head back to base camp. Incidentally, it’s here where Lara – who’s been gathering XP all this time – can upgrade her skills, this time choosing to unlock the ‘arrow retrieval skill,’ allowing her to pick up arrows off downed creatures. Things take a turn for the better in the next sequence of events, with Roth getting through to Lara on the walkie-talkie – instructing her through the old ruins in the mountain. Huzzah! She’s no longer alone!

Upon finding the cave entrance – that will take her towards the other survivors – and making her way inside – with the door slamming behind her, no less – Lara finds herself in a bind once again. Crawling through a wooden shaft, surrounded by tree roots older than the ages and ancient markings scribbled over every surface, Lara finds herself at a jammed door, unable to progress. The fire puzzle makes an appearance in this latest room, like it did at E3 last year. Here, Lara must burn her way through some obstacles to grab a pry axe to open the jammed door in order to progress. I feel like I have to mention the musical score here as well, which was phenomenal, and definitely makes you feel on edge throughout the claustrophobic environment.

After making her way through, Lara catches up with Sam who is talking to a stranger, named Matias, who’s supposedly a teacher and another fellow survivor. Lara instinctively detects something is rather off with this suspicious character and before she can react, it turns out he’s one of the island’s savages and he kidnaps Sam, running off into the dark abyss of the island’s jungle with her in tow. In an attempt to save her friend and in the midst of chasing after her, Lara finds herself in an even bigger spot of bother, with her leg being trapped in a set of sharp bear claws. Yes, she’s having a bad day!

As the birds eerily disperse from the trees, you get the feeling that danger is inbound, and that it is. Lay on the floor in agony, Lara has to bust out the bow and kill a set of wolves that come tumbling through the brush. Thankfully, they come one at a time and Lara’s survival instinct kicks in, slowing down time so she can fire an arrow at the ferocious wolves as their choppers hone in on the fresh meat that’s stumbled into their hunting ground. Lara, a young explorer who came looking for adventure, is now up **** creek without a paddle.

Lara manages to fumble her way out of the trap and into the next area, which according to Crystal Dynamics, is what's classed as an exploration area. After meeting up with a group of survivors from Lara’s plane and heading up to the ritualistic temple at the top of the hill, Lara now has her next task. In order to progress through the gate of the temple, Lara needs to first strengthen her axe. That means exploring and gathering enough salvage to upgrade her axe at a campfire. Lara has to climb, jump and explore a large open area with another shrine in the south and plenty of nooks and crannies in between to find the required salvage. Once she’s done that, she’s able to progress through the gate at the shrine and continue up the mountain pass.

Like every corner in the rebooted Tomb Raider, danger lurks in the shadows and after being ambushed by a group of savages, Lara and Whitman become prisoners themselves. In a horrific turn of events – we don’t want to spoil it for you so let’s leave it at that – Lara finds herself trying to escape from the savages as they all team up together to find the young prisoner. Sticking to the shadows and hiding behind objects, Lara has to avoid the torches and the line of sight of the savages to get out from under their grip. Nipping into burning huts and hiding in the nearby ruins, Lara’s E3 adventure ends when a savage discovers her. In the heat of the moment the two wrestle with one another, before Lara bites the savage’s neck, triggering a QTE sequence to get the gun and with it, Lara kills her first human. Pretty dark and traumatic stuff for the young adventurer, I’m sure you’ll agree!

In all though, taking into account what we’ve already seen of Lara’s new adventure, everything is shaping up rather swimmingly. We feel like we’ve hardly scratched the surface of the brutal and dark tale of Lara’s origins yet, having seen a lot of content from early on in the game, and we’re excited to see what more Crystal Dynamics has in store for the budding adventurer. Having seen a glimpse of the RPG elements, a bit more of the actual platforming and some of the exploration environments, all we need now is some wide-scale tombs or environments to traverse and we have all the makings of an impressive reboot. Colour us excited.

Tomb Raider is scheduled for a March 5th and March 8th 2013 release in North America and Europe respectively.

More information on the game from PlaystationTrophies.org.

post #25 of 100 Old 06-26-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Is the VA British?

Found this on Playstation Lifestyle--should answer your question:
Quote:
Camilla Luddington Confirmed to be the Voice of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider Reboot
06/26/2012 Written by Alex Osborn

Square Enix has just revealed “the voice and performance actress” behind Lara Croft in their upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, and it’s none other than the True Blood star Camilla Luddington.

According to the developer, after an “international talent search using scouts in Europe and the US,” they settled on her, as they believe she is fully capable of conveying the “depth of emotion and the youthful tone needed for Lara Croft in the upcoming reimagining of the Tomb Raider franchise.”

According to Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher, selecting Lara was no easy task, as finding the perfect actress to play the character was “one of the most important jobs for us to get right. This Tomb Raider game is very different to any other and we are demanding far more from the voice and performance acting than ever before as we take the franchise in a new direction,” he said.

Tomb Raider is set to launch on March 5th of next year.

I don't watch True Blood, so I'm not familiar with her work. Her IMDB profile & Wiki entry says that is from UK, but that she works mostly in America. I gotta' say--for me personally, looking at her body of work, she hasn't done anything I'm even remotely interested in.

post #26 of 100 Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Though I haven't seen season five of True Blood (just finished season 4 last night), the show has a decent track record with supporting cast members. Based on her season-long multiple episode arc this year on both True Blood and Californication (another show I watch on a year delay on disc) , I would say that she's an up and comer, though I'm guessing some of her appeal may be based on the fact that she'll get naked on camera (and be worth seeing that way), though I don't know for a fact she does get naked since I have yet to see any of these episodes.
post #27 of 100 Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

While waiting for the PSN Store update, I saw this news item so I'm resurrecting this thread AGAIN with new info.

Quote:
Tomb Raider Collector's Edition runs $100, strolls to Steam for pre-order
by Jessica Conditt on Nov 12th 2012 5:30PM

The North American Tomb Raider Collector's Edition costs $100 and includes an "Endurance Survival Kit" tin, an 8-inch Lara Croft figurine that comes with three sets of extra hands (creepy), a 15-by-19-inch reversible map and poster, a 5-by-7-inch art print and three iron-on badges, and that's just the stuff you can put on your shelf. The Collector's Edition also includes the soundtrack CD and the weapons pack DLC.

European fans can get the Survival Edition, which has an art book and waterproof survival pouch alongside the map, soundtrack and DLC. The European Collector's Edition includes the Survival goodies, and adds the North American figurine and Endurance tin.

Additionally, Tomb Raider is available for pre-order on Steam today, for 10 percent off ($45) and with the chance to unlock reward tiers.

post #28 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hlt95s/tomb-raider-guide-to-survival--episode-3

Wow, this game is going to be awesome. Just a week and a half left!

500 gigs FTW.
post #29 of 100 Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tomb Raider early reviews.

Well ign gave the game 9.1 and Gamespot gave an 8.5.
post #30 of 100 Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Game Informer gave it a 9.25, as well (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/tomb_raider/b/xbox360/archive/2013/02/25/tomb-raider-review.aspx) but I expected the high review scores since it is a reboot. Too many people (game journalists and players) like the idea of Tomb Raider, but not the actual games. I'm one of those who has spent money on ALL of the TR games new (well, except Angel of Darkness), so I actually like the games themselves. This game would have had to have been a massive screw-up on the magnitude of Aliens Colonial Marines to get low scores--which it apparently isn't.

I've succumbed to the hype and preordered the game (despite my earlier bellyaching in this thread), so I guess I'll decide for myself whether or not I like this new iteration. If I don't, I'll just wait to buy the next one used during the slow summer months rather than preordering/buying new. If I do find it okay, then I'll just stick to my normal routine.

A part of me STILL wishes that they went the Treyarch/Infinity Ward route and had "new young Lara" one year and "regular older" Lara the next year if they thought the franchise was stale. That same part can't help but wonder what AMAZING TR game could have happened if they'd put the same love, devotion, and time into a "regular" Lara game that they did for this reboot, but I guess change is inevitable. I guess I'll find out next Tuesday whether I continue to be a fan of Lara Croft's adventures or if I become a hanger-on of the new Lara like so many people were hanger-ons of the old Lara.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Tomb Raider Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page