Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Not going to read or watch any trailers about this one. Don't want to be spoiled like U2.
Not that in ruin the experience but the wow factor wasn't that effective when you knew it was coming, like the train sequence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
**yawn**
post #33 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A little off topic, but as it's been mentioned multiple times, personally I wasn't *that* wowed by the train sequence. I mean, it was cool it was still just another level to fight through.

Wait a minute, by train sequence are we talking about the beginning of the game, or the middle part where he fights his way though the train?

-Suntan
post #34 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by armybonzola View Post

**yawn**

"COD 25: twitch & knife" is that way ---->
post #35 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

A little off topic, but as it's been mentioned multiple times, personally I wasn't *that* wowed by the train sequence. I mean, it was cool it was still just another level to fight through.

Wait a minute, by train sequence are we talking about the beginning of the game, or the middle part where he fights his way though the train?

-Suntan

middle part where he fights his way though the train

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #36 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantii View Post

"cod 25: Twitch & knife" is that way ---->

lol

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #37 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

i agree with most of you, no reason to read any previews... I can't imagine ND will mess this one up after how good UC2 was.
post #38 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM

The other thing is game sites are going to hype the shitnitic out of this game; then if it's not 2X better thaen UC2:AT, they're going to pounce.

I want to just play it on it's own merits. It's going to be a very tall order to top UC2.
post #39 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
UC and UC2 are in my top 10 SP of all time so this is a 0sec buy for me, can't wait!

While I don't wish to see too much and spoil it I think we need more than that teaser, that is not enough to really create anticipation (obviously there will be much more and probably fairly soon).

Jason
post #40 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

The other thing is game sites are going to hype the shitnitic out of this game; then if it's not 2X better thaen UC2:AT, they're going to pounce.

I think the toughest thing from ND's point of view is that they are going to be going directly head-to-head with Gears of War 3. GoW and Uncharted are the top exclusive games on their respective platforms, and they have some similarities in how they play. Both developers need to bring their A game here because of the competition.

Of course, Uncharted 2's MP is excellent while Gears of War 2's is just... amazingly awful... so Epic probably has more to prove.
post #41 of 724 Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I think the toughest thing from ND's point of view is that they are going to be going directly head-to-head with Gears of War 3. GoW and Uncharted are the top exclusive games on their respective platforms, and they have some similarities in how they play. Both developers need to bring their A game here because of the competition.

Of course, Uncharted 2's MP is excellent while Gears of War 2's is just... amazingly awful... so Epic probably has more to prove.

Why would ND give a rats ass if they are releasing near Gears of War's date? Both games are exclusive to the consoles. Gears selling 3 million units has practically no effect on Uncharted's sales except the very few who have both systems but can only afford one game.

I think ND would be more concerned about Batman:AC

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #42 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i cant wait. my fav games ever. only 12 hours for the VGA show and maybe 12 months for U3
post #43 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

Why would ND give a rats ass if they are releasing near Gears of War's date? Both games are exclusive to the consoles. Gears selling 3 million units has practically no effect on Uncharted's sales except the very few who have both systems but can only afford one game.

I think ND would be more concerned about Batman:AC

If either game doesn't measure up reviews and/or forums will point it out. Look at how people are comparing Forza 3 and GT5 if you don't believe me. I think it is in both developers' interest to have the best game out there.
post #44 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I think it is in both developers' interest to have the best game out there.

I'm racking my brain trying to come up with an instance when that's not true.
post #45 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Of course, Uncharted 2's MP is excellent while Gears of War 2's is just... amazingly awful... so Epic probably has more to prove

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's a good one dude. That made my night. UC2's MP was boring and very vanilla. GOW's MP is one of the best this gen. I guess you have not played GOW 2's MP since they went to Dedicated Servers and changed the way the MP is played (maps cycle like GOW 1 and NO MORE Host Advantage). I played a little UC2's MP when it 1st came out and hit detection was Gawd Awful. You could literally unload a full clip in someones back and they would not die, then turn and kill you with ease. IMO, Gears is one of the best MP's out there. I can guarantee you there will be more people playing GOW 3 MP than UC3 MP. UC2, while a fantastic SP game, lacks in the MP dept.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #46 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post
Of course, Uncharted 2's MP is excellent while Gears of War 2's is just... amazingly awful... so Epic probably has more to prove

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's a good one dude. That made my night. UC2's MP was boring and very vanilla. GOW's MP is one of the best this gen. I guess you have not played GOW 2's MP since they went to Dedicated Servers and changed the way the MP is played (maps cycle like GOW 1 and NO MORE Host Advantage). I played a little UC2's MP when it 1st came out and hit detection was Gawd Awful. You could literally unload a full clip in someones back and they would not die, then turn and kill you with ease. IMO, Gears is one of the best MP's out there. I can guarantee you there will be more people playing GOW 3 MP than UC3 MP. UC2, while a fantastic SP game, lacks in the MP dept.
There was nothing wrong with the hit detection. Sorry to say, you just sucked, most likely because you only "played a little".

The large and dedicated MP community still strong after a full year also would probably like to have a word with you.
post #47 of 724 Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Release date: November 1, 2011

First gameplay clips shown at the VGAs in this video. More to be shown tomorrow at a special press conference for the title:

Entertainment Weekly had a write-up for it:

Quote:
If Indiana Jones or Robert Langdon is your definition of treasure-hunting action-adventure, then either you watch too many movies or read too many books — or you haven’t met Nathan Drake, the hero at the center the blockbuster videogame franchise Uncharted, exclusive to the PlayStation 3 platform. Last year, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves garnered widespread critical acclaim, bagged bunches of major videogame industry awards, and sold over 3.8 million copies worldwide. Hollywood’s a fan: A feature film from Columbia Pictures — adapted by helmer David O. Russell (Three Kings), produced by former Marvel Studios honcho Avi Arad and rumored to be starring Mark Wahlberg, the headliner of Russell’s forthcoming Oscar-baiting drama flick The Fighter – should be shooting just as the next game in the series, entitled Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, hits stores late next year. EW recently visited the Santa Monica, California offices of Uncharted’s developer, Naughty Dog, for a sneak peek at the sequel, and we returned wishing “late next year” was right damn now.

Here’s what we can tell you: First off, obviously the title is not “Uncharted 3: World of Deceit,” as has been rumored here and there on the Internet. Still: Good guessing with the “deceit” thing. According to Naughty Dog’s creative director Amy Hennig, the theme of deception plays out in multiple ways throughout the threequel, from Drake doing the deceiving to Drake being deceived to some mysterious deception about Drake’s very identity. The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

Uncharted likes to keep one foot (or at least a toe) grounded in history (Nathan’s ancestor is the British pirate, explorer and Navy officer Sir Francis Drake) and the plot of Uncharted 3 draws more from Drake’s exploits as well as from the life of T.E. Lawrence — not from his militant days as the fabled “Lawrence of Arabia,” but rather the Brit’s early years as an archaeologist. The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look for something that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”

Uncharted 3 — which aspires to be an “interactive cinematic experience,” says Hennig, marked with character-driven storytelling — will also make more expansive use of motion-capture filmmaking techniques (think: the way James Cameron shot Avatar) that will enhance the quality of character performance. (In fact, Naughty Dog’s new Santa Monica digs includes its own mo-cap studio.) The execs at Naughty Dog walked us through one of the game’s levels, and while we can’t tell you anything about the locale (it actually wasn’t the desert), we can tell you that it was quintessential Uncharted, marked by dynamic camera work and gameplay that requires you to jump and climb through treacherous spaces that are in an almost constant state of change — or in this case, catastrophic collapse. Innovations? Several, including enhanced backward climbing and the ability to fight multiple baddies at once. Finally, Wells stressed that much time and effort is being lavished upon expanding Uncharted’s online multiplayer and co-op capabilities, too; expect more details to come in the coming months. Doing so gives the consumer more value for their entertainment dollar — especially in a weak economy, and especially among videogame consumers more prone to buying just a few games a year. It also creates a market for additional downloadable content for purchase (Uncharted zombie maps, anyone?), and cultivates an avid community of what Wells calls “evangelists” that can help create buzz future products. “We want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre,” says Wells, no doubt alluding to multiplayer giants Call of Duty and Halo. “It has become something here at Naughty Dog that will become an important part to all our games.”

Naughty Dog is remaining cagey about the release date for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, but expect it to drop around the same time that the first Nathan Drake novel, Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth, hits next fall. (According to Wells, 2011 marks the beginning of Naughty Dog’s push to make Uncharted a “transmedia” entertainment brand, with high quality, mythology-managed storytelling extensions of the Uncharted universe created for various entertainment media, i.e. Star Wars.)

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #48 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
figures. i get an email for a free uc3 psn avatar and the code doesn't work.

edit:

did a google and apparently no one's code is working right now.

500 gigs FTW.
post #49 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure UC3 will be great. But personally, I have a *small* concern about the talk of concentrating on online, and other areas not related to the main, single-player core game.

It is a little troubling to hear that they are working on stuff like novels, etc. And personally, multi-player doesn't interest me. I just hope that their efforts to try and out-COD the COD games doesn't impact the single player game (or the release date.)

-Suntan
post #50 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Liked: 11
is it 11-1-11 yet

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #51 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

I'm sure UC3 will be great. But personally, I have a *small* concern about the talk of concentrating on online, and other areas not related to the main, single-player core game.

It is a little troubling to hear that they are working on stuff like novels, etc. And personally, multi-player doesn't interest me. I just hope that their efforts to try and out-COD the COD games doesn't impact the single player game (or the release date.)

-Suntan

I see no cause for concern. It's not like they'd forget how to make a great solo adventure. They've been making them since the days of Soul Reaver on the PSOne.

Besides, the people working on the books will be book people, not the developers, so there is no distraction there. And multi-player was a large part of the last one, so it is not a major leap in the amount of attention they need to expand and better support that mode for part three.

Most likely, keep in mind that ND have probably been tinkering with the ideas for the solo adventure even during development of part II. With most of the tech already in place, they likely have more free time to work on content now.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #52 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

figures. i get an email for a free uc3 psn avatar and the code doesn't work.

edit:

did a google and apparently no one's code is working right now.

It's working now.
post #53 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Liked: 25
Figures thats your response. Just because I said there was hit detection issues I suck. I highly doubt that. As a person who had 500 plus hours on Socom 2 and 350 hours on Socom 3, I think I know how to play 3rd person shooters. The MP was bland and vanilla (very cookie cutter, nothing special) with issues. I tried to play for awhile, but the hit detection was horrid. There are alot of people still playing Gears 2 MP as well. Since these two games will be going head 2 head who do you think will sell more. I think UC is a fantastic SP experience, but the MP is not in the same class as GOW.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #54 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Feel better?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #55 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
...personally, I have a *small* concern about the talk of concentrating on online, and other areas not related to the main, single-player core game.
I had those concerns last time, when they announced there would be a multi-player component, but they couldn't have proven me more wrong, by both besting Uncharted 1's single-player, and delivering what I gather was a surprisingly good multi-player experience (don't know about that personally, since I have no interest in it).

As a policy, I never expect sequels to be as good as the previous installments - that way mostly my surprises are positive ones. But given the leap from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, it's pretty hard to stick to that policy here.
post #56 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
I had those concerns last time, when they announced there would be a multi-player component, but they couldn't have proven me more wrong, by both besting Uncharted 1's single-player, and delivering what I gather was a surprisingly good multi-player experience (don't know about that personally, since I have no interest in it).

As a policy, I never expect sequels to be as good as the previous installments - that way mostly my surprises are positive ones. But given the leap from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, it's pretty hard to stick to that policy here.
Well, I would agree, and that is why I said "small" concern. I do agree that ND seems to have proven that they are dedicated to making the Uncharted games top notch and fully take advantage of the PS3 hardware (instead of making something watered down that can play on all platforms for the sake of maximizing sales numbers.) However, there is a long list of franchises/sequels that was once great, and then lost focus...

If anything, call it a concern about lightening striking 3 times in the same place.

-Suntan
post #57 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Feel better?

Yes, thank you for asking!

post #58 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
Yes, thank you for asking!

Well, you know...I care. Truly.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #59 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Litigator View Post

is it 11-1-11 yet

it is if you adjust the internal clock on your PS3
post #60 of 724 Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
the free avatar sucks, btw. anyone having any luck getting the free theme? at least that looks pretty cool from the little pic that was in the email. i registered yesterday but haven't gotten anything back. i'm assuming that they're holding off for a bit to see if they can get some extra sales of it in the ps store.

the only thing this series is in desperate need of is new gun sounds. these games have to have the worst sounding ak-47 i've ever heard.

500 gigs FTW.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page