Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 724 Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been playing since Friday night and I just reached the max level cap of 35. Overall, I've been enjoing it, but I've been noticing some things that I think need tweaking.

The health is fine where it is and should not be touched. However, the recoil on the weapons seems much harder to manage than in the July beta. Because of this, lots of people are giving up on actually aiming their guns and instead are using "sprint, blindfire, melee" because that simply works better than aiming right now.

At first I really liked the new sprint. It feels so much better having more control, and I love the faster pace of the game that this causes. However, this also allows people to run in and blindfire/melee when you are trying to aim on them. And since aiming is more difficult (and they seemed to have removed "slow down" when you are getting shot), the person sprinting in blindfiring (with or without melee) is more often getting the kill over the person aiming their weapon. In looking over the posts on the official forums, it seems that the vast majority consider this a problem that is hurting gameplay. Currently, the "tip" displayed in the lobby "Amining is always more accutate than running and gunning" isn't quite true.

I think that if they tamed the recoil just a bit, brought back "slow down" from bullet hits, and slowed down sprint a bit (as well as decreasing the duration and increasing the recovery time a bit) it would help alot with this issue.

I also think the game would be MUCH better off if they used the melee damage from "Hardcore" in all modes. Needing three hits to kill someone would discourage people from running in and meleeing and encourage more gunplay.

I've been trying to use aiming gunplay as much as possible, but I've resorted to a good amount of the "sprint, blindfire, melee" tactic myself since it is simply more effective than aiming in most confrontations right now (within a certain distance). So I hope they tweak this a bit.

I really like the maps. The sandstorm on Desert Village is cool, Syria is challenging with so many angles that people can come at you, and the London underground is fun, though the platforming mechanics on the train need more polish. I really like Yemen, and I'm not a sniper (I can hardly ever hit anything).

The music is fantastic! When a power play starts or there are only five kills left, etc.. and that music kicks it is so much more intense and fun. I was the marked man in a power play and some cool adventure music kicked in and I spent that next minute running for a defensable position and fighting off the enemies coming for me, narrowly escaping several attacks while killing them instead, running up the stairs with someone behind me and then spawning my RPG, turning and blowing them to hell, and then jumping back down the stairs over their body while a grenade exploded on the steps, and ultimately surviving the minute without giving them any kills (all with that intense music playing) is about as good as this game can get! It really felt like I was in an adventure movie.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of frustration right now with the overuse of "sprint, blindfire, melee", and there's been plenty of lag to gripe about. But it's moments like the one I described above that show me how much fun this game can be, so I hope Naughty Dog will make some MINOR tweaks to those things.

The character models are "ok", but seem a little iffy. I always liked playing as Chloe, and I still use her mostly, but I'm not wild about what they did to her model. They took away her beautiful ass! At the end of Uncharted 2 when she said "you're going to miss this ass", she wasn't kidding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 724 Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got on Saturday night and saw level 35's, so some people were able to max out in about 24 hours. :~)

I am glad you made those statements about the fire, sprint, melee tactic because I'm still adjusting to U3 multiplayer and wondering what is wrong with me!

Of course, everything takes getting used to, but it is really hard to kill folks from a distance and when you are up close, I feel like I always must be missing making contact with my melees since I end up dying most of the time.

I'll adjust, but I was more comfortable with the beta, I think. However, we had three weeks with that and maybe I'm just nostalgic.
post #183 of 724 Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

When you unlock it, try using the M9. It's much easier to use than the AK-47. It isn't as powerful, but it has less recoil and a faster rate of fire. So kills actually come more easily with this weapon.

And Naughty Dog acknowledged the unbalanced sprint and blindfire issue.

In a post on their site, they listed the following "know issues being investigated":
  • Game Freezing when accessing the Friends list
    Occasional background on London Underground train sequence dropping out
    Loss of input control in-game and menu
    3-Team Deathmatch wins being counted as losses
    Stats not updating / resetting
    Balancing issues with Sprint and Blindfire
    Incorrect reporting in Leaderboard Wins/Losses
    Mic icon in the game lobby
    Facebook treasure posting icon

"Thank you for being so active in reporting issues on the forums. We really appreciate all the feedback and will do our best to resolve them!"
post #184 of 724 Old 10-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

And yes, you can reach the beta level cap relatively quickly. I am average player at best, and I reached level 35 in around 12 hours of play time.
post #185 of 724 Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that they added something really cool in Plunder.

You can now smack someone with the idol and kill them! I haven't tried this myself yet, but I read about it in posts from people who discovered this fun new defensive/offensive ability for treasure carriers.

And has anyone had any luck with throwing back grenades yet? I've been so conditioned to roll or jump away as soon as I hear the "beeping" near me that I never did it once in the July beta or throughout the weekend in this second beta. But last night I decided to force myself to give it a try and I was surprised that I succeeded most times that I tried it. It's really cool!
post #186 of 724 Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Naughty Dog pushed an update today. The following is their blog post about it:

´╗┐We've seen a tremendous amount of feedback during the first few days of the*Subway Taste for Adventure*full competitive Uncharted 3 multiplayer experience. Many of you drew upon your experiences from the Late June/July multiplayer beta and we have been listening to your concerns. We pushed a new update live today that will address some of those concerns. The changes include that tweaks to kickbacks, weapons, and the timing of sprint. Specific changes are:

- Stopping Power is back.

- RPG Kickback cost has changed from 8 medals to 10

- Sprint duration has changed from 6 seconds to 4.5 seconds

- AK-47 recoil is tuned

- G-MAL recoil is tuned

Comments have been made about the increased effectiveness of run and gun, but the accuracy has actually been reduced since the Beta. The removal of stopping power is what created this perception. So the old Spray n' Pray remains true to the phrase. So aside from the turn radius of the sprint, your gameplay experience should be a lot closer to how it was during the Late June/July multiplayer beta.*

We will continue to play along with you and will be listening on the forums and the*Naughty Dog Twitter*to address any further concerns that may arise. We're stoked we have a second*opportunity to refine and develop the multiplayer with such an active and attentive audience as the full retail experience of*Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception*rockets towards launch.

Good fortune hunting and see you online!

post #187 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll give it another try because after last night I had decided to not buy the game. It's just too spastic. If it's closer to the Summer beta I might get back on board--we'll see.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #188 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

I'll give it another try because after last night I had decided to not buy the game. It's just too spastic. If it's closer to the Summer beta I might get back on board--we'll see.

You based your buy of of the MP?

I could care less about the MP, it's an added bonus to an awesome SP experience.

The Weekend Warriors
post #189 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I've been itching to play this but didn't want to spoil the scenery of the solo campaign. I think I'll try to play only the maps that were in the beta as a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Oh, I forgot to mention that they added something really cool in Plunder.

You can now smack someone with the idol and kill them! I haven't tried this myself yet, but I read about it in posts from people who discovered this fun new defensive/offensive ability for treasure carriers.

Heh, I posted a thread during the beta at the official forum requesting this feature (probably not the only one). It seemed too obvious of a cool tactic not to have been there to begin with.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #190 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I've been itching to play this but didn't want to spoil the scenery of the solo campaign. I think I'll try to play only the maps that were in the beta as a compromise.

I wouldn't worry, this is NOT the "full competative multiplayer" as they have billed it. It's only 6 maps. The three you would have already played in the summer beta plus London Underground, Desert Village, and Syria. Besides, the competative maps are never the same maps as are used in the campaign, they are only just based on those locations. But Naughty Dog even said they specifically left some maps out of this second beta/demo to minimize the potential for campaign spoilers. So I'd go ahead and play.

Now, co-op adventure maps would probably be edits of the real campaign maps, but there is no co-op in this beta.
post #191 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Another bit of info some may be interested in.

Naughty Dog said that kills/deaths in objective games (plunder, etc..) will not count toward your competative K/D ratio when the final game is released. This is to help discourage people from using these modes to pad their stats and encourage people to play these modes as intended.

But these kills/deaths in objective modes will still count during this beta. The change won't be in effect until November 1.
post #192 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Plunder is my favorite mode, so I am happy with this decision. I'm also appy to hear that the G-MAL got some love.

post #193 of 724 Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

You based your buy of of the MP?

I could care less about the MP, it's an added bonus to an awesome SP experience.

Yes because I can just rent it and play through the SP.

post #194 of 724 Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, there will be two more maps available on Monday. They haven't said which ones yet.
post #195 of 724 Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

Yes because I can just rent it and play through the SP.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I really enjoyed the multi-player beta and was thinking this game would be a day one purchase. After playing a few games on this latest version I'm not so sure.

I will eventually buy the game for the single player campaign but there's no rush for that since I have a backlog of single player games already. Uncharted 2's single player was just good to me, not great. From what I've seen of part 3 so far I expect it to be about the same so I can't see it jumping the other games on my to-play list.
post #196 of 724 Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post

I will eventually buy the game for the single player campaign but there's no rush for that since I have a backlog of single player games already. Uncharted 2's single player was just good to me, not great. From what I've seen of part 3 so far I expect it to be about the same so I can't see it jumping the other games on my to-play list.

One of the most surprising parts of UC2 were the co-op stages. I couldn't care less about the straight-up MP junk. If I wanted that, I'd just play CoD or something. But the co-op levels were a great addition in UC2 (the campaign levels and the "horde" style challenges). I'm hoping those get some nice improvements in UC3.

But, really, I'm buying this day one just for the SP. Been a huge fan of the series since the first one (haters be damned).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #197 of 724 Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

One of the most surprising parts of UC2 were the co-op stages. I couldn't care less about the straight-up MP junk. If I wanted that, I'd just play CoD or something. But the co-op levels were a great addition in UC2 (the campaign levels and the "horde" style challenges). I'm hoping those get some nice improvements in UC3.

But, really, I'm buying this day one just for the SP. Been a huge fan of the series since the first one (haters be damned).

I didn't mean to come off as a hater. I'm a big fan of the series, both SP and MP. I liked the 2nd one enough to get the platinum trophy and will probably do the same at some point for the first one. Part of the reason for doing it for the 2nd one was to unlock MP skins but I did enjoy the SP campaign.

I guess what has me somewhat negative on part 3 is that I enjoyed the SP of the first one a lot more than I did the SP of the 2nd. I know that I'm in the minority with that so I fear that the things I disliked in part 2 will be even more prevalent in part 3. The videos I've seen so far lead me to believe that will be the case.
post #198 of 724 Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't mean to come off as a hater. I'm a big fan of the series, both SP and MP. I liked the 2nd one enough to get the platinum trophy and will probably do the same at some point for the first one. Part of the reason for doing it for the 2nd one was to unlock MP skins but I did enjoy the SP campaign.

I guess what has me somewhat negative on part 3 is that I enjoyed the SP of the first one a lot more than I did the SP of the 2nd. I know that I'm in the minority with that so I fear that the things I disliked in part 2 will be even more prevalent in part 3. The videos I've seen so far lead me to believe that will be the case.

Ha. No worries. Wasn't calling you a hater. I actually pretty much agree with you. Just saying that "MP" also technically includes co-op, which I thought was exceptional in UC2--but could still do with some fleshing out. Fingers crossed.

post #199 of 724 Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Ha. No worries. Wasn't calling you a hater. I actually pretty much agree with you. Just saying that "MP" also technically includes co-op, which I thought was exceptional in UC2--but could still do with some fleshing out. Fingers crossed.

Co-op was fun but I never played it much. I always had trouble finding games on anything other than easy or normal and always got stuck playing with people who would wonder off on their own and get themselves killed. Hopefully this time around they have more than 3 adventures and they are a bit longer.
post #200 of 724 Old 10-09-2011, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There were a lot of co-op options in U2, and even more with DLC. You had the mode were you gun down ten waves of increasingly difficult forces in several locations, a mode to hold and secure various areas around a number of different maps, you had the min-adventure story co-op on three maps, and you had the idol steal/return co-op taking place in several places.

In U3, they've already said they plan to expand even more on what they had in U2. Already they allowed us to play some of it in the first beta, and in the final game there will be at least several distinctly different co-op modes, each played on different maps.

post #201 of 724 Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Co-op was fun but I never played it much. I always had trouble finding games on anything other than easy or normal and always got stuck playing with people who would wonder off on their own and get themselves killed. Hopefully this time around they have more than 3 adventures and they are a bit longer.

Yeah, as with most online co-op games, it was hard to find anyone randomly for co-op. You pretty much have to play co-op with friends because most people online only play competitive MP.

post #202 of 724 Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

I played co-op with randoms all the time and never had much problem finding players. It certainly took longer to find games than with the competative modes, and sometimes it would just put me with one other player instead of two, but I never was unable to play co-op any time I wanted to right up to when I stopped playing Uncharted 2 to move over to the Uncharted 3 Subway promation beta. Actually, as a side note, the only reason I ever started playing the competative modes was because occasionally you run into an ass-hat in co-op who wants to team-kill you for whatever reason. The first time this happend to me I couldn't defend myself. (Being able to fight against other humans is a millions times more difficult than fighting the AI. So I needed to develop those skills.) In the process, I got hooked on competative as well.

The co-op objective (mini-story) modes were fun. But seeing as there were only three of them I didn't play them as much as arena.

While I was/am a regular competative (deathmatch, etc..) player, I always find co-op arena much more fun and less stressful. And I'd say I generally play more co-op arena than competative. So I have great expectations for Uncharted 3's co-op, but I'm worried that they'll make some dumb decisions with it (like not having an option for a full game of survival or considering "hunter mode" part of their "expansion of co-op").

I'm REALLY hoping that in addition to the new arena where they mix in all three modes there is also a stand alone survival mode. If they cut that out in favor of the muti-mode mash-up, I'll be pissed. I liked the new "all in one mode" fine. But I want the option to play "survival" too. In this new mode you get 3-4 rounds of survial, max.

Also, I really wasn't a fan of the Hunter Mode "co-op" in the summer Beta. Especially because it is not in any way a "co-op" mode. It is a competative mode, plain and simple. Sure two people work together against two enemies. But that's not really different from death match or plunder, etc...
post #203 of 724 Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Two more maps are now available in the Uncharted 3 subway promotional beta. Highrise and Molten Ruins.

For anyone who doesn't know, these were both DLC maps in Uncharted 2. Highrise has been re-worked to a nightime setting (with some zip lines added) and Molten Ruins used to be Flooded Ruins but now has a firey, volcanic atmosphere.

Also, they have now changed it so that kills (and deaths) in plunder and team objective do not count towards the leaderboard K/D ratio. Hopefully this will significantly curtail kill farmers in these modes. The leader boards have been re-set now that this is in effect. In addition, Naughty Dog said today that the leader boards will be re-set AGAIN on November 1st when the official game is released.

To clarify, people playing the subway beta WILL keep their cash/level/unlocks/weapon upgrades, etc.. AND their personal statistics will not be wiped. But as far as the in-game leader boards, everyone starts with a clean slate on November 1st.

And they are still looking into balancing issues with sprint and blindfire. They made some changes last week to help address the unbalanced nature of sprint and blindfire (added some stopping power, decreased sprint duration, and tamed the weapon recoil), but it's clear that it wasn't enough and the tactic is still being overused, simply because it is too easy and too effective. So hopefully they'll get a better handle on it in the next update before the retail version is released.
post #204 of 724 Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Why can't they just put it back to the summer beta settings? The game was almost perfect then. Oh well.

post #205 of 724 Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

To clarify, people playing the subway beta WILL keep their cash/level/unlocks/weapon upgrades, etc.. AND their personal statistics will not be wiped.

This is exactly the reason why I don't play competitive MP anymore. You have to jump into a game at just the right time, otherwise you miss the boat entirely. And now even worse, if I don't play the UC3 beta, I come into the game behind, even if I start playing on launch day. This is not how you attract new players, ND.

post #206 of 724 Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I played last night to see the maps. This game is too twitch for me. Everyone is running around in all directions. No one uses cover, there is no strategy, just run and gun. It is COD in 3rd person.

I will stick to coop and sp.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #207 of 724 Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

This is exactly the reason why I don't play competitive MP anymore. You have to jump into a game at just the right time, otherwise you miss the boat entirely. And now even worse, if I don't play the UC3 beta, I come into the game behind, even if I start playing on launch day. This is not how you attract new players, ND.

It gets even worse if you are a "play once or twice a week" player. People with real lives can't keep up with these kinds of online games.

Honestly though, I don't think I'd have much desire even if I did have the ability to devote 20+ hours a week on this stuff. I've never really felt the desire/enjoyment in being dropped into what is effectively a really large room and "electronically killing" other people. I mean, dodge ball was fun in school, but even now I'd have little desire to play it.

I'm waiting on UC3 for a good story, investigating the detailed game world, lastly is the sense of accomplishment from killing endless bad-guys.

-Suntan
post #208 of 724 Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

It gets even worse if you are a "play once or twice a week" player. People with real lives can't keep up with these kinds of online games.

Honestly though, I don't think I'd have much desire even if I did have the ability to devote 20+ hours a week on this stuff. I've never really felt the desire/enjoyment in being dropped into what is effectively a really large room and "electronically killing" other people. I mean, dodge ball was fun in school, but even now I'd have little desire to play it.

I'm waiting on UC3 for a good story, investigating the detailed game world, lastly is the sense of accomplishment from killing endless bad-guys.

-Suntan

^^This.

Multiplayer holds my attention about as much as SP challenge rooms. Once you check out the maps, go a few rounds, what's left? And at least in an offline challenge room I don't have to deal with trash talking 12 year olds and a wide assortment of douchebags, glitchers, cheaters, lag switchers, etc.

I do hope I can get into and enjoy the co-op modes more in U3 than I did U2. My first few experiences were mixed, and since I didn't care for the competitive MP, I didn't stick with the co-op modes long enough to really find them worthwhile.
post #209 of 724 Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm scratching my head a bit.... what does it matter that thousands of players are above you? It doesn't matter that thousands are below you either. Just get on an MP server and play to have fun.

I played the beta a bit, and the disparity between the haves and have nots is there, but it isn't so great that you can't do decently with the basic loadouts. And since the game levels up VERY fast (especially for early newbie levels), you can acquire the buffs you need at your own pace.

Unless your goal is to make top ten in the leaderboards, online action should be about the experience itself, not what you have or don't have compared to random opponents who played early.

post #210 of 724 Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

^^This.

Multiplayer holds my attention about as much as SP challenge rooms. Once you check out the maps, go a few rounds, what's left? And at least in an offline challenge room I don't have to deal with trash talking 12 year olds and a wide assortment of douchebags, glitchers, cheaters, lag switchers, etc.

I do hope I can get into and enjoy the co-op modes more in U3 than I did U2. My first few experiences were mixed, and since I didn't care for the competitive MP, I didn't stick with the co-op modes long enough to really find them worthwhile.

So I am not alone. Personally it saddens me that ND has become yet another developer taking what was an excellent sp game, and turning it into another repetitive mp silliness game. I would rather see more efforts on the sp, ie longer.

I personally hate what mp has done to sp this generation.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page