Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Let me further explain...

I had two Xbox 360's, and I LOVED playing "LAN Co-Op" Campaign games such as the Halo series. Whoever I played with had their own TV, sound system, headset, zero lag, etc. in my house.

Now I have two PS3's, and I notice that pretty much all co-op-type games from this point on have "Online Co-Op" instead of "LAN Co-Op", but here's my issue... I have SLOW internet. It's called IDSL, it's the fastest option in my area (out in the middle of nowhere), and I only get about 120kbps up/down.

Check out this list of upcoming Co-Op games: http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php...&direction=ASC

Take Resistance 3 for instance. Notice how when you hover over the icons it has the icon for "Online Co-Op" AND it has the check mark for "Co-Op Campaign".

I'm wondering if I buy two copies of this game how well it'll work. If we're both "online" will it sense the LAN as well and use the shortest path of resistance and best connection and just operate over the LAN, or does it have to go from my PS3 downstairs, all the way out to the internet in a different city/state, and then all the way back to my second PS3 upstairs?

Opinions and facts are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Games need to have LAN support built-in and unfortunately not many do nowadays. If a game doesn't have LAN then you it iwll go through the internet.

But I do think Resistance was one of those games so hopefully Insomniac kept it in Resistance 3.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't understand how if a co-op game can work online that it can't work over a LAN... seems strange, doesn't it?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Liked: 832
Not at all.

Most games have matchmaking servers and services. The game is coded to connect to those systems.

LAN play is a different beast all together. And while it wouldn't be much work to offer that support, many developers simply don't because internet play is more popular.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
If you're playing games from the same internet connection you will effectively have LAN speed latency(lag) once you're in the game. I don't think any games use an external host server for co-op matches once in game. The connection is all peer 2 peer, meaning it will realise the 2 PS3s are on the same network and take the path with less hops, well it has been in my experience.

I know this because I monitor by internet usage realtime
post #6 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

If you're playing games from the same internet connection you will effectively have LAN speed latency(lag) once you're in the game. I don't think any games use an external host server for co-op matches once in game. The connection is all peer 2 peer, meaning it will realise the 2 PS3s are on the same network and take the path with less hops, well it has been in my experience.

I know this because I monitor by internet usage realtime

Are you serious? Can you or anyone confirm this?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Your internet connection should only be used for the matchmatching for most games, once you're in a game all the data is peer to peer, the only outgoing data will be for your server information updates on the matchmaking servers.

Easy to check if you're the host of a game any other PS3s in your household connected to the same game should have a very low ping.

There aren't many games on consoles that have dedicated servers(that is mainly the domain of PCs) and even fewer(if any) when in CO-OP mode for games(it would be a waste of resources)
post #8 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone here have 2 PS3's and 2 copies of the same game to try it?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

Anyone here have 2 PS3's and 2 copies of the same game to try it?

I have this set up that we use for BF:BC2, Black Ops and NFS:HP but I have no idea of how to check any of this. If you explain it I can give it a whirl and report back though.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #10 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

I have this set up that we use for BF:BC2, Black Ops and NFS:HP but I have no idea of how to check any of this. If you explain it I can give it a whirl and report back though.

Let's say you own "PS3 A" and "PS3 B", and your buddy owns "PS3 C". And I'll use the term ping to relate to ping, latency, or whatever else your game calls it to measure the quality of your connection.

Scenario 1) Fire up a game on "PS3 A" and have "PS3 B" join that game. Check out your pings, and write down those numbers.

Scenario 2) Now have your buddy on "PS3 C" fire up a game, and have "PS3 A" connect to your buddy's game. Check your ping on "PS3 A".

In theory Scenario 1 should produce extremely low pings, lower than Scenario 2. Scenario 1 may produce single digit pings, while Scenario 2 produces 20-100ms pings.

I hope this makes sense. If you did what I just said and report back the results, I think we'll have a definitive answer!!
post #11 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can anyone please try the above scenario and report back?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page