AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any personal reviews????

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

any personal reviews????

Should be picking mine up tonight to play with MAG. Only caveat is that i've not played MAG yet with Move as I've been waiting for this to come out. I'll try to post back impressions tomorrow.

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #33 of 52 Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Warning about MAG. In the iWaggle video I posted in the Move thread, the gamer points out that since X is mapped to jump in MAG it will be awkward to run and jump forward since your left thumb has to come off the NavCon analog stick to hit the button. He got used to it but it is something to be aware of if it never gets patched for the alternate control option (i.e. it is [] in KZ3).

~~~~

Sharpshooter mini-review

OK, I've spent an hour and a half with it in KZ3 initially vs. bots to get a feel for it, then some of the campaign. Great product!

There is zero lag when hitting any button since it digitally connects with the Move through an internal connector. All of the buttons are relatively easy to reach with muscle memory. I do wish that they put the [] and /\\ buttons in the back of the unit (a pair are on both the left and right side of the SS, above the trigger instead). My right thumb is near there and has nothing to press, but to hit the [] and /\\ buttons I need to move my index finger from the trigger. You get used to it, but this is my only complaint.

Speaking of buttons, I was concerned at first that I'd accidently hit the M button when things got hectic (which crouches in KZ3) since it is right under the trigger, but they were smart enough to make it kinda stiff so that you have to depress it to make it trigger instead of merely brushing against it. Not once did I accidentally push it while playing, and it is still new to me so I don't see this as being a problem going forward.

The NavCon feels natural in its lower chamber, but your off-hand will be extended to use it (edit - if you are leaning back on your couch). This may cause some fatigue if you don't find a comfortable position to use it and have the rear stock placed against your body. Playing from my couch, I ended up with my extended left arm on my left leg, and my left foot on my ottoman where I store my Move gear (similar to this one) with my knee bent. That worked out fine for me.

*EDIT* I found another comfortable way to hold the SS. Just sit up straight (or on a stool or ottoman) and your off-arm no longer needs to be extended. Using this method you can more easily hold the gun shell to your side instead of slightly outstretched like I describe above.

I was practicing using the Move last night with the demo, and notice that aiming with the SS requires more movement since the Move is extended from your hand. It becomes intuitive though and after messing with my control settings and turning auto aim off completely, I was getting some nice headshots on the A.I. from range.

I still need practice, but aiming is so much better with the Move that it'll be hard to go back for games that don't support it. I mean, I was actually getting used to circle-strafing with this thing while maintaining my aim on specific body parts... on a console FPS!

One weird but cool thing is that you have FOUR different ways to reload (X button, Z-axis Move twist, shotgun-style reload, or reload button at the bottom of the gun), so you will always have a style that appeals to you.

For me, I like keeping my thumb on the analog stick of the NavCon and my other hand near the trigger, so that knocks out the two buttons. Twisting the whole contraption on the Move's Z-axis resets my aim so I ended up liking the shotgun-reload feature of the Sharp Shooter.

Overall, the unit has some decent weight once the NavCon and Move are in place. It feels sturdy enough to where you don't have to worry about it coming apart for being flimsy. It'd be nice if it were only $30, but it functions very well as expected. The bottom line is that in an FPS game you actually feel like you are aiming and shooting a real rifle. The rumble effect adds to the immersion, making this a cool step up over traditional FPS controls. I give it an easy 9 out of 10.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #34 of 52 Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Just played two rounds of KZ3 vs bots to get the hang of this. I quickly noticed that my left hand/arm was tiring quickly while holding the nav controller. I may need to try different seating postures to defeat this. I was fairly laid back in my bean bag.

I'm tempted to take the nav out and rig it up to something to control it with my foot. So I can hold the sharpshooter like a real rifle with both hands comfortably.

I was very worried that the trigger would feel super cheap and crappy. There's a bit of resistance to it, so that makes it awesome! Button placement (square, triangle, firing rate switch) is perfect to me. Overall, I'm fairly happy with this purchase.

Now I can give those on-rails shooters a try since I don't have to reach to the top for the Move button.
post #35 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

HMMM may wait a few more days, or mabye go to BB and they will have one you can actually play. Sounds awesome...and I have a $100 BB gift card.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #36 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you want the same kind of feel you get from playing those rifle light gun games in the arcade while playing a full FPS title at home, it is worth the money. The immersion factor is the main reason to get it.

It is easier to play with the Move+NavCon without it since you wouldn't have to make sure to find a comfortable position to rest your off-arm, but that's not an issue once you get used to your personal setup.

post #37 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm going to amend my review since I figured out that you don't have to have your off-arm outstretched to maintain good control.

If you lay all the way back on your couch, then yes, you have to figure out the best way to hold your off arm because it will be stretched to access the NavCon. However if you sit straight up (or play sitting on a stool, etc.), then it is much simpler to keep your off-arm pulled back in a relaxed position. Doing it that way lets me rest my elbow on my leg. I played through all three Time Crisis: Razing Storm games like that and fatigue wasn't an issue.

Actually, because of the Sharp Shooter I think it is fair to say that any review score for that Time Crisis should automatically give it extra points if you play it with the SS. Since the 'M' button is under the trigger, it is a LOT more natural to hold the gun, aim and shoot with it instead of resting your off hand on top of the Move like all other gun shells.

post #38 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM

I like mine playing with kz3, it takes some getting use to played around with the sensitivity settings til i got it right. The aim is spot on.
post #39 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Got the sharp shooter yesterday. Yet to get kz3 from gamefly but have been giving it a whirl with the kz3 demo and I have to say, for me, it's a massive disappointment control wise. The sharpshooter itself is made really well, The feel, button layouts, etc are all top notch, but as far as fps shooter controlling goes I now know why light gun games are on rails. aiming within the screen or having to "move" a little is fun and engrossing, but having to move beyond that is just frustrating and 99 percent of the time I end up in a "tail spin", disoriented and get killed (on the easiest setting). I tried all kinds of different settings an nothing "clicked" with me. I'm sure with time, I could end up figuring it out and do well with it, the same way I'm sure over time I could manage to figure out how to brush my teeth with my feet. Just cause I can figure it out doesn't make it better. Wanted to love it (or even like it) but I have to put it down before it makes me hate KZ3.

PSN: futurecode
post #40 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Technically it's not the SS giving you problems, it's the motion controls. If it doesn't click and become intuitive to use, then I can see how frustrating it can be. Practice does pay off though, and the reward is getting a precise level of control that's impossible with an analog stick.

I suggest going to the botzone when you get the final game and keep tweaking and practicing for as long as you can hang in there. That way you don't ruin the fun to be had with the campaign, where you will be tested on how well you can aim in the heat of battle (I'm playing Veteran difficulty for the first time through). If it still doesn't work out then Move+NavCon in an FPS game might not be for you.

KZ3 Move control tutorial video

Check out that video if you haven't already.

Tweak suggestions: I think having the Y-axis deadzone at 100% is very helpful to keep the vertical camera angle from "spinning" on you. You have a lot more room for aiming using that setting, and can still pan up and down if need be. While I prefer 0% on my X-axis deadzone, try 50% an see if that allows you to keep the camera from panning unexpectedly. Whatever your deadzone settings are, focus on where the bounding boxes are on the screen. That way you know where the panning will start, and what area you have to move back to in order to steady it.

After your deadzone is set, you want to next set your turning speed. This determines how fast the camera spins once it touches the edge of a bounding box. Dialing it low will allow you to recover from turns a lot faster, but by turning slowly it'll be tougher to quickly pan towards enemies on your sides and behind you.

If you have a wide X-axis deadzone, it will take even more time to turn. Try 30% or 40% turning speed and see if you can turn corners as you run doing it that way. If it still feels too fast, take it down 10% at a time. Ideally, you want to nudge the bounding box left or right to have the camera turn 45 degrees IMHO. After each nudge, get used to re-centering your aim towards the middle of the screen.

Lastly you want to adjust the aim of your cursor. This is entirely up to you. Some like 100% sensitivity so that the cursor (not the camera) moves super fast within the bounding box. The turning speed is for how fast the camera pans once the cursor reaches the edge of the box. At that speed though, you will hit the bounding box edges MUCH faster, and the camera will pan more often as a result. If you can control that, all is well. But for you starting out, I suggest a 20%-30% cursor speed. You won't zip to targets in front of you quite as fast, but you will retain a LOT of control.

You main problem right now is oversteer. You are moving too much and are losing control as you pan too much and then correct the oversteer as a result. Lastly, I don't know if you are using one of the aim assist settings, by try playing with them off just so the cursor doesn't jump around the targets as you maintain full control.

These suggested settings is so you can get used to moving the camera just enough to do aim where you want. After awhile, you'll want to increase sensitivity in certain areas that you personally feel comfortable with. As I improve, I'm also tweaking my settings so it isn't something you can instantly master. Good luck!

post #41 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Technically it's not the SS giving you problems, it's the motion controls. If it doesn't click and become intuitive to use, then I can see how frustrating it can be. Practice does pay off though, and the reward is getting a precise level of control that's impossible with an analog stick

I suggest going to the botzone when you get the final game and keep tweaking and practicing for as long as you can hang in there. That way you don't ruin the fun to be had with the campaign, where you will be tested on how well you can aim in the heat of battle (I'm playing Veteran difficulty for the first time through). If it still doesn't work out then Move+NavCon in an FPS game might not be for you.

Tweak suggestions. I think having the Y-axis deadzone at 100% is very helpful to keep the vertical camera angle from "spinning" on you. You have a lot more room for aiming using that setting, and can still pan up and down if need be. While I prefer 0% on my X-axis deadzone, try 50% an see if that allows you to keep the camera from panning unexpectedly. Whatever your deadzone settings are, focus on where the bounding boxes are on the screen. That way you know where the panning will start, and what area you have to move back to in order to steady it.

After your deadzone is set, you want to next set your turning speed. This determines how fast the camera spins once it touches the edge of a bounding box. Dialing it low will allow you to recover from turns a lot faster, but by turning slowly it'll be tougher to quickly pan towards enemies on your sides and behind you.

If you have a wide X-axis deadzone, it will take even more time to turn. Try 30% or 40% turning speed and see if you can turn corners as you run doing it that way. If it still feels too fast, take it down 10% at a time. Ideally, you want to nudge the bounding box left or right to have the camera turn 45 degrees IMHO. After each nudge, get used to re-centering your aim towards the middle of the screen.

Lastly you want to adjust the aim of your cursor. This is entirely up to you. Some like 100% sensitivity so that the cursor (not the camera) moves super fast within the bounding box. At that speed though, you will hit the bounding box edges MUCH faster, and the camera will pan more often as a result. If you can control that, all is well. But for you starting out, I suggest a 20%-30% cursor speed. You won't zip to targets in front of you quite as fast, but you will retain a LOT of control.

You main problem right now is oversteer. You are moving too much and are losing control as you pan too much and then correct the oversteer as a result. These suggested settings is so you can get used to moving the camera just enough to do aim where you want. After awhile, you'll want to increase sensitivity in certain areas that you personally feel comfortable with. As I improve, I'm also tweaking my settings so it isn't something you can instantly master. Good luck!

Thanks for the in depth suggestions Joe, will definitely use them. And you are right, it's a move issue not a ss issue, my post was more my frustration with not "getting it" rather than and real issue with either the move or ss. I associate it with wasd and mouse pc control. I have been a console guy since colecovision, mouse and keyboard control and whenever I try it It feels so alien and have to think about every move that I just give up. That being said, I will give the move and ss and definite full on try once I rip through the campaign with the ds3.

PSN: futurecode
post #42 of 52 Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When you get a chance, be sure to check out the video link that I edited into my post above. It should help make some things clear. It's from the beta though, so the Sensitivity setting is Turning speed in the final game instead of cursor speed (which was in a different option screen before).

post #43 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM

My review of things goes right along with what futurecode said in his initial thoughts:

The SS is well made, immersive, and very natural to hold and use. However, it will definitely take some time for me to get used to X and O being on my left thumb, and using my right trigger finger for square and triangle. Even once I get that figured out, it's going to take even longer to get used to and tweak all move settings to get that good balance and feel. So it's definitely an issue of becoming comfortable with the move and not the SS.

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #44 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Where can I find out what all the ss buttons do in kz3? This is my first kz experience and I am totally lost. Can't seem to find grenades or use cover after much experimentation. The class abilities are especially confusing so i have been sticking with the comparatively simple engineer. As suggested I am using botzone to get acquainted with very mixed results and boy are my arms tired! My settings so far are with 100 percent y axis and 20 percent x axis with very slow turning speed and no aim assist. Does that seem reasonable to start with? I tried to tailor the feedback you have been providing to others perhaps I misunderstood something.
post #45 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs_dad View Post

Where can I find out what all the ss buttons do in kz3? This is my first kz experience and I am totally lost. Can't seem to find grenades or use cover after much experimentation. The class abilities are especially confusing so i have been sticking with the comparatively simple engineer. As suggested I am using botzone to get acquainted with very mixed results and boy are my arms tired! My settings so far are with 100 percent y axis and 20 percent x axis with very slow turning speed and no aim assist. Does that seem reasonable to start with? I tried to tailor the feedback you have been providing to others perhaps I misunderstood something.

Press the move button(below the trigger) to crouch or to take cover(hold)
Press L2(beneath the Nav Controller) to bring up the Iron Sights
Press L1(beneath the Nav Controller- just above L1) to throw Grenade or Mine
To reload you can either do the shotgun like pump action on the arm with nav controller or press the button below the clip magazine.
To Melee just thrust the whole gun forward(i still haven't got the hang of it properly)
Circle lets you interact with objects(like pick up Ammo/sit in an Exo)
Use the Dpad to use the corresponding abilities for ur class(keep it pressed to generate ground bot for engineer/use jetpack etc).

I am using 50% on both x and y axis, 0% sensitivity and about 40% turn speed. I had to practice quite a bit and found these settings to my liking, but now that ive adjusted i'm having a good time with the MP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #46 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Press the move button(below the trigger) to crouch or to take cover(hold)
Press L2(beneath the Nav Controller) to bring up the Iron Sights
Press L1(beneath the Nav Controller- just above L1) to throw Grenade or Mine
To reload you can either do the shotgun like pump action on the arm with nav controller or press the button below the clip magazine.
To Melee just thrust the whole gun forward(i still haven't got the hang of it properly)
Circle lets you interact with objects(like pick up Ammo/sit in an Exo)
Use the Dpad to use the corresponding abilities for ur class(keep it pressed to generate ground bot for engineer/use jetpack etc).

I am using 50% on both x and y axis, 0% sensitivity and about 40% turn speed. I had to practice quite a bit and found these settings to my liking, but now that ive adjusted i'm having a good time with the MP

In addition to the above, which are all accurate. You can also reload by "flicking the gun", basically flicking the wrist of the hand that holds the trigger....and by selecting "X" when "X" isn't otherwise an indicator for an action (i.e. picking up a mortar beacon, etc).

melee is kinda weird I jab the hell out of the gun forward and probably don't need to, like I'm actually stabbing some bastard in the chest, LOL.

Also, my settings are 50 % horizontal, 100% vertical, 20% crosshair, 10% turning speed. I think everyone's settings are going to be different on personal preference. you definitely have to play around with them until you get comfortable, that's for sure.
post #47 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. I found that my nav controller wasn't fully snapped in so the grenade button was hidden. Finding that solved a lot of problems as did realizing that real cover was a subset of what one might usually consider cover to be.

Where do you recommend I learn about the mp-relevant class distinctions?
post #48 of 52 Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm trying the sharpshooter with the KZ3 single player demo...everyone is saying the pump action is reload but for me it is another fire button? Have you guys changed button layout or is it because I'm playing the demo?
post #49 of 52 Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ The final game lets you pump reload by default. Maybe the demo isn't Sharp Shooter compatible.

Maxs... You can try some of these tutorial videos by NextGenTactics.com on youtube. They are from the beta, but still should be mostly relevant. Here's a link to the Engineer video.

post #50 of 52 Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 PM

I'm loving the sharpshooter on KZ3. I'm doing better with it than with Move alone or DS3 and CANNOT go back now lol. My settings for the sharpshooter on KZ3 are:
Deadzone width 10
Deadzone height 60
Crosshair sensitivity 20
Turn speed 20
I also play while sitting on the edge of my recliner, I put a pillow on my lap and push the rifle stock extension all the way in. No fatigue. I can play for hours and it makes the game much more fun and immersive. Aiming and acquiring targets is faster and I can move just as well as with the DS3. Can't wait for SOCOM 4!!
post #51 of 52 Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,
Is the sharpshooter compatible with Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier?
post #52 of 52 Old 05-28-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think it auto-detects the SS, so you won't be able to use the shotgun pump action to reload. The basic button functionality should be ok, but someone would have to test it for you to be sure if there are any issues.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page