Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Available now for $40.

Guerrilla Games (the Killzone developer) and Zipper (the SOCOM developer) designed this amazing gun shell unit that wraps around the Move and NavCon controllers. This video shows how serious Sony is about making it the standard for future PS3 games with motion controls in the FPS/TPS genre:

*** February 2011 Update ***

Here is more Sharp Shooter shell video, this time with SOCOM 4.

Also, I posted my mini review now that I have the shell:

~~~

Sharpshooter mini-review

OK, I've spent an hour and a half with it in KZ3 initially vs. bots to get a feel for it, then some of the campaign. Great product!

There is zero lag when hitting any button since it digitally connects with the Move through an internal connector. All of the buttons are relatively easy to reach with muscle memory. I do wish that they put the [] and /\\ buttons in the back of the unit (a pair are on both the left and right side of the SS, above the trigger instead). My right thumb is near there and has nothing to press, but to hit the [] and /\\ buttons I need to move my index finger from the trigger. You get used to it, but this is my only complaint.

Speaking of buttons, I was concerned at first that I'd accidently hit the M button when things got hectic (which crouches in KZ3) since it is right under the trigger, but they were smart enough to make it kinda stiff so that you have to depress it to make it trigger instead of merely brushing against it. Not once did I accidentally push it while playing, and it is still new to me so I don't see this as being a problem going forward.

The NavCon feels natural in its lower chamber, but your off-hand will be extended to use it (edit - only if you are sitting back on your couch). This may cause some fatigue if you don't find a comfortable position to use it and have the rear stock placed against your body. Playing from my couch, I ended up with my extended left arm on my left leg, and my left foot on my ottoman where I store my Move gear (similar to this one) with my knee bent. That worked out fine for me.

*EDIT* I found another comfortable way to hold the SS. Just sit up straight (or on a stool or ottoman) and your off-arm no longer needs to be extended. Using this method you can more easily hold the gun shell to your side instead of slightly outstretched like I describe above.

I was practicing using the Move last night with the demo, and notice that aiming with the SS requires more movement since the Move is extended from your hand. It becomes intuitive though and after messing with my control settings and turning auto aim off completely, I was getting some nice headshots on the A.I. from range.

I still need practice, but aiming is so much better with the Move that it'll be hard to go back for games that don't support it. I mean, I was actually getting used to circle-strafing with this thing while maintaining my aim on specific body parts... on a console FPS!

One weird but cool thing is that you have FOUR different ways to reload (X button, Z-axis Move twist, shotgun-style reload, or reload button at the bottom of the gun), so you will always have a style that appeals to you.

For me, I like keeping my thumb on the analog stick of the NavCon and my other hand near the trigger, so that knocks out the two buttons. Twisting the whole contraption on the Move's Z-axis resets my aim so I ended up liking the shotgun-reload feature of the Sharp Shooter.

Overall, the unit has some decent weight once the NavCon and Move are in place. It feels sturdy enough to where you don't have to worry about it coming apart for being flimsy. It'd be nice if it were only $30, but it functions very well as expected. The bottom line is that in an FPS game you actually feel like you are aiming and shooting a real rifle. The rumble effect adds to the immersion, making this a cool step up over traditional FPS controls. I give it an easy 9 out of 10.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Glad to see the Sony is going to give us something great to play with the Move controller...been waiting.
post #3 of 52 Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Damn... I'd like to see video of somebody holding it, and playing Killzone 3 with it, real-time. The only thing I'm concerned about is moving my guy around with the sub controller. Will it really feel comfortable?

My other question, is will this thing work with "The Shoot" or "Time Crisis: Raizing Storm" ? If it works for all the light-gun move games, as well as Killzone 3 and Socom, then it might actually be worth paying $45 for some damn plastic, lol.
post #4 of 52 Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's not just plastic. There's some copper and silicon in there too. See the trigger and reload abilities. But yeah price isn't cheap. Find me a B2G1 sale again.
post #5 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the best I have seen for this type of thing. I was thinking it would suck, because usually they put the sub controller on the handle, but that would be odd if I held it like a right hander, because controlling movement with the right hand isn't normal for me. But they definitely did it so I wouldn't have that problem.
post #6 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Damn... I'd like to see video of somebody holding it, and playing Killzone 3 with it, real-time. The only thing I'm concerned about is moving my guy around with the sub controller. Will it really feel comfortable?

I didn't think of that, good question. I for one will wait for iWaggle's video on this item before deciding if it is worth it. It's the only site that goes extremely detailed on Move stuff, good or bad.

Quote:

My other question, is will this thing work with "The Shoot" or "Time Crisis: Raizing Storm" ? If it works for all the light-gun move games, as well as Killzone 3 and Socom, then it might actually be worth paying $45 for some damn plastic, lol.

Yeah, it has the Move button near the trigger so it is very easy to use it for TC:RS.

post #7 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:

It will work with all the other move gun games. Like joeblow said above, the MOVE button is routed to a button near/behind the trigger on the handle.

There are also multiple ways to reload ammo with gun (at least in KZ3 anyway). You can jerk the gun sideways, use the pump action, or the coolest way is to bang/tap the bottom of the clip like you just loaded it

Think I may just have to get KZ3 and this badboy.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #8 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM

I think this will set the bar for gun peripherals. so in a couple months after this is released we will see improved and cheaper versions coming out from 3rd party makers like Nyko, Madcatz etc...

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #9 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think I should ask Santa for a Move to be able to use this gun
post #10 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks pretty friggin awesome to me! Now I guess I need a move.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #11 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely looks like the most ambitious 'gun peripheral' to date. Would be great if the offered it bundled with Killzone 3.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #12 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It's not just a Move holder, they added support in-game and the Move connects to the gun via USB. This is how they made the new buttons work, otherwise you would be limited to what is on the Move and nav con.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #13 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Here's a review where he's shown playing it in real time.

http://cdn.static.viddler.com/flash/...3a26&ref=&hd=1

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #14 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Very slick and might be worth purchasing the Move stuff for.
post #15 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Damn... I'd like to see video of somebody holding it, and playing Killzone 3 with it, real-time.

Ask and you shall receive!
hmm cound not embed it...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mo...lzone-3/708460
post #16 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In earlier Move demonstrations, the controller lag didn't seem that bad.

It looks really bad in that Sharp Shooter demo.
post #17 of 52 Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'm I the only one that thinks it looks like a caulk gun?

(No, it doesn't matter in the slightest, but that's the first thing that popped into my head).
post #18 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is more Sharp Shooter shell video, this time with SOCOM 4.

post #19 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #20 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Like the previous poster said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I might pick-up move with this now
post #21 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Sharp Shooter won't be out until Killzone 3 relases... February 22.

post #22 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Going to pick up the move, extra nunchuck, sharpshooter and K3 when it comes out. Pretty slick deal on sony's part. Everyone that wants this is gonna buy a move bundle $99, the sharpshooter, $45 and the numchuck deal is prolly $40? so theres $200.....but I think this will improve the way we or at least me plays FPS games...I cant wait!

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #23 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
For the record, (and using it as a comparison should be fair) using a gun shell with any Wii gun game really did nothing except present a really awkward arm placement.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #24 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

For the record, (and using it as a comparison should be fair) using a gun shell with any Wii gun game really did nothing except present a really awkward arm placement.

I found the exact opposite. When I used a gun shell with House of the Dead: Overkill, I actually enjoyed playing the game.

When I didn't use it (usually because I had a guest playing and gave them the gun), and I used the Wiimote by itself, I ended up with a pain in my wrist.

I find the exact same thing using the Raygun shell with my Move controller. With shell--The Shoot and Deadspace: Extraction are actually enjoyable. Without it, the games suck balls.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #25 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like a Super Scope to me.
post #26 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

I found the exact opposite. When I used a gun shell with House of the Dead: Overkill, I actually enjoyed playing the game.

When I didn't use it (usually because I had a guest playing and gave them the gun), and I used the Wiimote by itself, I ended up with a pain in my wrist.

I find the exact same thing using the Raygun shell with my Move controller. With shell--The Shoot and Deadspace: Extraction are actually enjoyable. Without it, the games suck balls.

Amen brother!! I totally relate to what your saying. I Refuse to play DS Extraction till I get my sharpshooter.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #27 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

Going to pick up the move, extra nunchuck, sharpshooter and K3 when it comes out. Pretty slick deal on sony's part. Everyone that wants this is gonna buy a move bundle $99, the sharpshooter, $45 and the numchuck deal is prolly $40? so theres $200.....but I think this will improve the way we or at least me plays FPS games...I cant wait!

Heh, Sony is sneakier than you give them credit for. You forgot about the $2,000 3D screen and the $100 3D glasses.

post #28 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Liked: 832
So, when are we getting a patch to add support for this into MGS4, and trophy support? Where's Subservience?

Kojima? Kojimmmaaaaa!!!??
post #29 of 52 Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's a good idea. Kojima is the king of double dipping (along with Capcom).

I think Konami would get some good sales if they made a new MGS4 upgrade release with a few new missions, trophies the ability to dload all of the assets to the hard drive at once, Move support and a revamp of the online mode so you don't have to use a Konami network profile.

post #30 of 52 Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sharp Shooter unboxing and review. He focuses on how it works with Killzone 3 and MAG.

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page