Unique disc-based games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Back in the PS2's heyday there were a bunch of odd titles that often didn't get a lot of attention, but had some really unique gameplay features or unusual style that really made them stand out from the pack. I'm talking about stuff like Odin Sphere, Shadow Of Destiny, Disaster Report, Gitaroo Man, Mad Maestro, Rez, Katamari Damacy, Indigo Prophecy, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, God Hand, and Okami.

I know that a lot of the unique games this generation are downloadable titles, and I generally stay on top of those, but I'm hoping there are some more involved disc-based games that would fall into this category that I'm not aware of.

I've already picked up stuff like Heavy Rain, Katamari Forever, Demon's Souls, and Naughty Bear. I've got Valkyria Chronicles sitting here as the next game in my queue. I know The Last Guardian is on the way. Are there any other unique disc-based games I should be thinking about...?

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
Lair is one of my favorites due to the control system and how many games let you fly a dragon and eat the enemies for a mid battle snack. I agree with you about older PS 1 and 2 had a lot more variety in gameplay. its on PC and not sure what else but World of Goo is a fun unique puzzle game. what about Overlord? its a very PS2 ish style gameplay
Monster Madness: Grave danger. 4 simultaneous player top down zombie killing
3D Dot Game Heroes
Mini Ninjas
CSI: Fatal Conspiracy
Afrika
how do u like Naughty Bear?

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #3 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
what about Overlord? its a very PS2 ish style gameplay
I did try the Overlord II demo a while back, but it didn't quite grab me. A good suggestion, though, as the swarm of lackeys gives it a unique feel.

Quote:
3D Dot Game Heroes
I'd read some mediocre reviews of this one, but it did look kind of interesting. How is it?

Quote:
Mini Ninjas
Tried the demo, but it didn't really stand out to me. Am I missing out?

Quote:
Afrika
Ah, yes. Forgot to mention this one. Got it and platinumed it a while back. Nice change of pace.

Quote:
how do u like Naughty Bear?
Parts of it are funny and quite good, other parts are weak and frustrating. If you like stealth games and can deal with some repetition, this may be worth grabbing at a bargain bin price. Freaking the bears out to the point where they start killing themselves is pretty funny, as are the "defluffing" executions.

One of the more frustrating elements is how slowly you unlock new areas. You have to get a certain number of medals of a certain type to open up new missions, which often means replaying minor variations of the same missions over and over until you do them well enough to continue. There are also very few locations in the game, and they just get dressed up a little differently from chapter to chapter, as far as I can tell.

The multiplayer looks kind of interesting, but it's hard to find other players, so I haven't tried it much.

- Jer
post #4 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Your post brings to mind Mirror's Edge. There's a demo on PSN.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Thanks. Looks like the demo's not up there anymore -- just DLC and trailers now. First-person parkour does sound pretty different, though. Does that perspective work well in-game? It seems like 3rd-person would be a more natural choice for that sort of thing...

- Jer
post #6 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 PM

I have noticed now that they expire some of the demos. I just picked up Apache for $29.99 at Kmart on sale $20 off. I am a Helicopter nut so I had to have it. Liked the demo and its the only copter sim out there. Read a review of the game on amazon by an Apache pilot who says it it very realistic and well done game...
I am a bargain bin guy too. Ill look out for Afrika as I have not played it. will look for naughty bear too. if I get it we can try online game.. Ill PM ya.. haven't played the mini ninja or 3D dot heroes but they looked unique so i mentioned them...

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Brutal Legend is a bit of a unique game IMO, fast paced humor, head banging minions, love it!

And unique in a whole different league... Enchanted Arms. That game is twisted! I don't want to get banned from the forums so I won't talk about it... But it may just be unique enough... Maybe...
post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I just got that for xmas (for the 360) having played the demo way back when. You can get it used cheap which it's why I put it on my list this year for someone looking for a cheap gift for me.

It's pretty great so far...very unique spin on the fps genre.

Unfortunately I don't think it did well enough for a sequel.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Thanks. Looks like the demo's not up there anymore -- just DLC and trailers now. First-person parkour does sound pretty different, though. Does that perspective work well in-game? It seems like 3rd-person would be a more natural choice for that sort of thing...

- Jer

Sorry dude, got the demo about 6 months ago. It's pretty consistently on sale and you can probably get it used for a tenner.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Liked: 832
Perhaps Brutal Legend?

The art direction is really cool, the story well done, and music is superb. The gameplay is pretty good for an open world game too, with it's only downfall being the boss battles (and online mode), where they went with a point and click strategy mini-game sort of thing (done all in 3d)

Give it a try, it's tong in cheek humor of Metal really was fun. Jack Black and Tim Schafer really nailed it. It's release during a packed holiday season killed it and made it little mentioned (went up against uncharted 2 among others).

As far as an open world game, my recent ratings go as follows: inFamous (slightly) > Brutal Legend > GTA4/RDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post

Lair is one of my favorites due to the control system and how many games let you fly a dragon and eat the enemies for a mid battle snack.

Heretic! You should know that no one speaks of LAIR in these forums, especially favorably!

(I was pretty much the only one to defend it as a pretty good, fun game. People for the life of them, just couldn't get used to the sixaxis only controls, so they gave up and panned it)
post #11 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Figured I'd resurrect this thread, since Deadly Premonition definitely falls ino this category. I've also heard good things about Shadows Of The Damned, which is on my bargain bin list the next time I hit a lull...

- Jer
post #12 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I recommend Catherine, a mixture of a dating sim and block-climbing puzzles. I had certainly never played another game like it.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page