PS3 Now Open, Jailbroken, whatever you want to call it! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 179 Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The one thing that excites me about this, is that Sony might launch their PS4 a couple of years ahead of schedule if the piracy thing gets really bad. I'm ready for a new console with a new GPU already, so I'm hopeful that if things do go bad (regarding the Piracy), Sony's forced to get the PS4 out sooner than planned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 179 Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The one thing that excites me about this, is that Sony might launch their PS4 a couple of years ahead of schedule if the piracy thing gets really bad. I'm ready for a new console with a new GPU already, so I'm hopeful that if things do go bad (regarding the Piracy), Sony's forced to get the PS4 out sooner than planned.

I was thinking exactly the same thing... then I remembered the PSPGo.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #93 of 179 Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I was thinking exactly the same thing... then I remembered the PSPGo.

And now that the Go is hacked it can finally play the entire PSP library.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #94 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post
I've repeated this sentiment on other sites and received complete derision. Can anyone understand that? The hackers claimed it was easy, and their excuse was, "we didn't want to until now."
The fact is it wasn't easy, the hackers eluded to this themselves by saying the USB PS3Jailbreak enable them to see the security key exchange process.

A Jailbreak was being worked on since when the PS3 was released. Having access to the GPU, the full compliment of RAM and GDDR and also the extra SPUs, would have benefited Linux alot.

I'm very keen to see new media player like XBMC, a bluray region free hack. lossless audio playback and a good video editor
post #95 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post
This isn't exactly correct. You can run emulators and other stuff on a 360. JTAG systems can do lots more than just play games.

Piracy will happen. Lots of other cool stuff with happen as well. XBMC is an example of something cool.
you have to have a pretty old 360 to JTAG and a 360 with an early dash. and nothing has come from it. to be mainstream like the Xbox1, it has to be something that all users can load. All you need with Xbox1 was any flash drive that sat in your drawer.

what emulators can you run on a JTAG 360? i haven't seen any. no one's developed anything. the only things out there are iso utilities, things to modify game files, etc. basically things for only getting free games.

some group raised everyone's hope for XBMC and nothing ever came of it. I would've bought 4 360's if there was XBMC for it!
post #96 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I think it's a general sentiment that most of us aren't advocating blatant software piracy, but are hopeful for the results of 'jailbreaking' the PS3. I accept that piracy is a given and when I was 12, didn't see a problem with it. But I'm NOT 12 any more, so I avoid it. The industry and the world is a very different place now, too. Long gone are the days of just using a hole-punch to double a disk's capacity or using a photocopied page to bypass DRM.

The DRM that punishes the paying customer is problematic; we've seen that people will pirate stuff no matter what the price (literally). So piracy is not easily discouraged. Further, many hacks are just plain beneficial. While I knew that some people were using the no-cd hacks for many PC games for piracy purposes, I just didn't want to have to swap CDs every time I played a game. Hacks that remove artificial restrictions and enhance functionality are big wins for all of us.

I wish there was some middle ground on the issue, but more, I wish there was some way to allow the better behaviors and deny the poorer ones. Is the industry hurting itself with it's own attempts at prevention? Certainly. Right now I can't access my Steam account because...well, I have no IDEA why. Likely someone hacked or tried to hack my account and now I need to wait for someone at Steam to actually answer my ticket and either explain or fix it (preferably both). I am of two minds with regards to stuff like a PS2 emulator. On the one hand, it's Sony's right to restrict such software, especially since they are now remonetizing old titles by re-releasing PS3 conversions of them. On the other hand, removing the PS2 emulator and giving us no other alternative is a DICK MOVE.

I do hope that if this PS3 hack works as well as promised, that we see some excellent PS3 community software appear as a result. I know the capacity is out there...but right now all the best development I've seen for the consoles is in open-source and commercial software that uses already open stuff on a non-jailbroken console (like PlayOn, PS3 Media Server, etc.) instead of hacking the console for WiiPaint or an app to browsed illegally-scanned manga.
post #97 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

I wish there was some middle ground on the issue, but more, I wish there was some way to allow the better behaviors and deny the poorer ones. Is the industry hurting itself with it's own attempts at prevention? Certainly.

Exactly. Rather than continuing to enact and enforce draconian measures against consumers--both legitimate and illegitimate alike--why not make buying software more appealing? Prices are still generally too high on games (though that has been improving lately), and the lack of expected features is appalling.

The source of the problem is that ever since 1996, the law (in the US and abroad) has strongly favored corporate rights over consumer rights in the digital realm. There's simply no incentive for these major digital property holders to stop being such major a-holes about rights management. Most DRM is as counter-productive as sentencing drug users to prison or putting up fences/walls at international borders.

I'm not saying piracy is a good thing or even that it's justified, but most DRM isn't either.

post #98 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Exactly. Rather than continuing to enact and enforce draconian measures against consumers--both legitimate and illegitimate alike--why not make buying software more appealing? Prices are still generally too high on games (though that has been improving lately),

Draconian measures? Seriously?

The PS3 does exactly what it was/is advertised to do*. Release-day game prices haven't changed since launch and with a matchbook calculation seem to be around the same price as games from previous consoles when adjusted for today's dollar. In addition, you have free online play and free software updates. Unless Sony is forcing your local GameStop to chop off one of your fingers with each purchase, I'm pretty sure that "draconian" is just hyperbole.

*OtherOs notwithstanding

Quote:
and the lack of expected features is appalling.

I don't understand this. Why would anyone purchase a product and expect a feature that was never promised? Why would you slight a product/company for not being able to do something that it was never advertised to do?
post #99 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
OtherOS was offered with the system as a bonus feature, nothing more!

I even remember when they talked about it at E3 because I WAS THERE when they announces the PS3 and all its supposed features. But i dont see know one suing over the missing USB PORTS and DUAL HDMI ports they touted up until release.

I didnt cry about it, I still shelled out over $700 for it and havent wanted to mod or obtain features that SONY hasnt rushed out the door yet. I also seen how MS lets you boot games up from the HDD, so maybe we should hit up the PSBlog and request this feature since it was patched into the 360 (im assuming) so that way we can please these people who so eagerly hate swapping disc?
post #100 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeCapone View Post

OtherOS was offered with the system as a bonus feature, nothing more!

I even remember when they talked about it at E3 because I WAS THERE when they announces the PS3 and all its supposed features. But i dont see know one suing over the missing USB PORTS and DUAL HDMI ports they touted up until release.

Bonus or not, it was offered and marketed to consumers as feature and included in the price of the system.

The PS3 still has USB functionality. It doesn't have card readers anymore, but it does still support USB card readers. They didn't take any already sold functionality away there.

Duel HDMI was a possible spec, but they never sold us a PS3 claiming to have it, then removing or not including it.

They did take out the PS2 BC hardware and went slim, but there's no problem because they're not selling that to anyone, or making it appear they are. They also didn't disable it on BC consoles, they just no longer support it going forward.

OtherOS was a feature that they disabled through a hardware update to customers they already sold it to, which is a big deal.

They drew a line in the sand and said even though you already paid for this, were disabling it. So you either forfeit your right to play games and movies on your PS3 and keep it (refuse to update), or you update and disable a feature you already paid for. Further more, they did it hiding behind the stupid reason that it was the best way to stop a jailbreak and any future piracy; rather then put the money and effort into coming up with a proper fix.

Now they're facing both lawsuits and the threat of a completely jailbroken system, and I'm laughing my ass off. whoops.
post #101 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
What's the benefit of dual HDMI ports?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #102 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:

A/V balls?
post #103 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I also seen how MS lets you boot games up from the HDD, so maybe we should hit up the PSBlog and request this feature since it was patched into the 360 (im assuming) so that way we can please these people who so eagerly hate swapping disc?

They'll let you install the (entire) game to the hard drive but you need the game disc in the optical drive to play. Also we're talking 9GB max games as opposed to whatever unwieldy sizes PS-only games reach.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #104 of 179 Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The PSP private keys were also found, so all PSP's that couldn't be fully hacked yet will be soon as well.

Both sets of keys have been released to the net and are now in coders hands, expect homebrew to be ported from the Jailbreak USB key hacks very soon.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #105 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Sounds good to me

I'd love to be able to do something like install a Atari 2600 emulator on my PS3, make the drive be region free for DVD's, etc.
post #106 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can send audio to an AVR and video+audio directly to TV, so that you don't have to fire up the AVR every time you want to play the PS3. You would need the AVR only when you want surround sound. Not to mention, dual HDMI could also be used to bypass a non-3D enabled AVR, with the sound going to AVR, and 3D video going directly to a 3D display.
post #107 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Bonus or not, it was offered and marketed to consumers as feature and included in the price of the system.

OtherOS was never marketed. That seems to be one of the problems that the prosecution is having in the class action.

The "included in the price of the system" argument is silly. I'll bet your logic doesn't work both ways. In other words, do you think you should reimburse Sony for all of the new features - not the updates, but features - that they've added to your system since you purchased it, even thought they weren't "included in the price of the system". Of course you don't.
post #108 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

OtherOS was never marketed. That seems to be one of the problems that the prosecution is having in the class action.

The "included in the price of the system" argument is silly. I'll bet your logic doesn't work both ways. In other words, do you think you should reimburse Sony for all of the new features - not the updates, but features - that they've added to your system since you purchased it, even thought they weren't "included in the price of the system". Of course you don't.

Only when I use the feature do I send them a check. They get no money for Facebook integration from me but I totally sent them a buck three fitty when Netflix went discless.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #109 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris schempp View Post

only when i use the feature do i send them a check. They get no money for facebook integration from me but i totally sent them a buck three fitty when netflix went discless.

post #110 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 AM

http://kotaku.com/5723105/hacker-cla...ront-door-keys

Quote:

Famed hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz, who among other things helped crack the iPhone, reckons he's found what are essentially the keys to the PlayStation 3. And has posted them online for the world to see.

While a group claimed last week that they'd done much the same thing, and were in the process of releasing tools to allow people to install Linux on their system, GeoHot has gone a step further and simply published the PS3's "root key".

The root key is a signature of sorts, that lets the PS3 know that the program that's about to run on the console is a legitimate piece of software. If it's now out there, then once people start messing around with it, they'll be able to whip up anything - be that custom software or pirated games - and trick the console into thinking it's OK to load.

Crucially, because this key lies at the very heart of the PS3 hardware itself, it appears that if it has been cracked, it will be almost impossible to repair (even via firmware updates), as altering the existing key would run the risk of rendering all existing PS3 software inoperable.

Meanwhile, the team from last week's news - fail0verflow - have as promised released some "PS3 development tools" for hackers to mess around with. If the homebrew scene is your scene, and you'd like to take a look at what the PS3 can do without Sony calling the shots, you can find those here.

We've contacted Sony for comment and clarification, and will update if we hear back.

post #111 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

If they asked to be paid for those updates, sure. Rather then that, Sony decided the added value of giving them away for free was better for their long term success. They gave us PSN Plus which adds more features and asked, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

But nice way to try to change the topic from Sony arbitrarily taking away something they already sold to consumers.
post #112 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

If they asked to be paid for those updates, sure. Rather then that, Sony decided the added value of giving them away for free was better for their long term success.

Sort of like how Sony decided that the negative response to removing OtherOS was necessary for their long term success?

Quote:

But nice way to try to change the topic from Sony arbitrarily taking away something they already sold to consumers.

No, we're still right on topic. It wasn't arbitrary. You said as much in your previous post.

In addition, they never sold OtherOs to consumers. They sold the license to use their software, and they reserve the right to make changes. Some folks simply can't wrap there head around that, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Since you brought up changing the topic, can we get back to your claim that OtherOS was marketed?
post #113 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM

OtherOS was never marketed and only brought up like a few times and that was when people (media) asked about this being a feature in the PS3.

But I am pretty sure none of you guys complain or HOMEBREW on any other electronic devices you own. Must be nice to bake a pizza in a microwave that has NO BAKING FEATURES.

What about DVD players?

Do you guys hack into them because you're tired of loading your DVDs into the player?

I mean damn people, how hard is it to see that some jerk(s) rubbed SONY the WRONG way and now your unadvertised feature is gone because of it?

Dont be madd, most of you complaining are followers and can careless what happens with all this. But go home and see that your account has been hacked or CC's maxxed out and youd be singing a different tune.
post #114 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Liked: 13
If this hack results in someone porting a decent Webkit browser to the PS3 plus a competent media player then I am all for it as Sony is either unable or unwilling to do so.
post #115 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

OtherOS was never marketed and only brought up like a few times and that was when people (media) asked about this being a feature in the PS3.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/te...2.0_conference

Quote:

Installing Linux and Firefox on the PS3 enables Sony customers to not only enjoy games and entertainment in the living room but also take advantage of some of the Web browser-based office productivity applications available online today, said Oliver Marks, senior manager, Web Portal for Sony Computer Entertainment America. The Office 2.0 conference is a great opportunity for Sony to showcase the PS3 system's computing power and productivity capabilities.

There is also the fact Sony tried to use the OtherOS feature as way to classify the PS3 as a supercomputer to get around tax laws in the UK.

Quote:

But I am pretty sure none of you guys complain or HOMEBREW on any other electronic devices you own.

Ever heard of Rockbox?

http://www.rockbox.org/

How about running Linux on Linksys routers to get better and more secure functionality out of it?

http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html

No shortage of other examples either.

Quote:

Dont be madd, most of you complaining are followers and can careless what happens with all this. But go home and see that your account has been hacked or CC's maxxed out and youd be singing a different tune.

Right, because up until the PS3 security was broken none one's credit card number has ever been stolen before. You should be worrying more about wireless POS systems in retail stores than hackers somehow compromising your PS3 account. The massive TJX compromise certainly had nothing to do with Sony.

If you are concerned about it just do what I do, buy pre-paid PSN cards, problem solved.

Cheers
post #116 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

you have to have a pretty old 360 to JTAG and a 360 with an early dash. and nothing has come from it. to be mainstream like the Xbox1, it has to be something that all users can load. All you need with Xbox1 was any flash drive that sat in your drawer.

what emulators can you run on a JTAG 360? i haven't seen any. no one's developed anything. the only things out there are iso utilities, things to modify game files, etc. basically things for only getting free games.

some group raised everyone's hope for XBMC and nothing ever came of it. I would've bought 4 360's if there was XBMC for it!

There are several. NES, SNES, Genesis, and a couple others. One of the biggest advantages I've found on a Jtag 360 is its really easy to software patch the fans to run at any speed, which cuts temps WAY down which we all know is a big deal on the 360

It is disappointing that no XBMC like app is out for them though.
post #117 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/te...2.0_conference

Showing what a machine is capable of at an industry conference and marketing said capabilities are not the same thing. OtherOS was never a marketed feature.

Quote:

There is also the fact Sony tried to use the OtherOS feature as way to classify the PS3 as a supercomputer to get around tax laws in the UK.

Do you have a source to back up this fact?
post #118 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM

RockBox?

Did you make this ROCKBOX from your 360 or DVD player from home?

Or is this some device YOU HAD TO PAY FOR and is a STANDALONE DEVICE and not something MODDED?

Either way, whats your point?

U have none!
post #119 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Showing what a machine is capable of at an industry conference and marketing said capabilities are not the same thing. OtherOS was never a marketed feature.

Of course it was, it always was. This rewriting of history is absolutely hilarious. They even still have it on their website.

Ken even marketed it to consumers at one of the largest gaming expo's, E3 back in the day. It was touted to gaming websites, consumers and internet sellers across the board. They even supported it in PS2 (which they never took back mind you)

Then there's the thousands and thousands of units hey sold for the sole purpose of OtherOS, and the tax benefits they recieved for classifying the system as a home computer. Bunch of cool info here: http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/0...ps3-revisited/

Anyways, you should go apply for a job, seems Sony's resorted to fanboys for their legal defense:

Quote:

Sony later referenced various message board postings from PS3 owners admitting they had "no idea that the PS3 even had an Other OS function or Linux functionality."

The company also cited numerous postings from owners who stated they "did not purchase the PS3 because of the Other OS feature and did not use it" and others saying they downloaded the update because "they did not care about the Other OS feature."

Now thats funny. Pretty please dismiss the lawsuit because some of our users posted about their ignorance on our website, m'kay?
post #120 of 179 Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that "draconian" is just hyperbole.

Hyperbole, indeed. Just like the corporate fear of piracy.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page