PS3 Now Open, Jailbroken, whatever you want to call it! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 179 Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Here is an interesting thing that this "hack" will allow.

Take a 360 wired controller and plug it into a PS3, with a simple program it will work just like a PS3 controller (minus sixaxis) combine that with a custom controls program and you can swap the triggers around, meaning that you can use whichever trigger you prefer to fire a gun. This is one big perk of this "jailbreak" that anyone will be interested in, and best of all? No legal or moral issues with doing this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

The best interface would allow me to load my save games from the XMB.
Game > Assassins Creed > Load Save Game #1
No idea why they don't do this. Would be too awesome I guess.

I don't know if anyone wants to read my weird complaints but here:

-I've got no use for the Pictures or Music tabs but they're stuck there.
-Now it boots into the Network tab, which is stupid. It used to be either Video or Games, which are, big surprise, the only ones I ever use.
-Games can't be sorted alphabetically (srsly?).
-I'd like the shoulder buttons to do something like Page Down or Home/End for long lists.

You guys do realize that you can disable the booting to the network tab right? Just go to setting>system settings>and uncheck display whats new. Not that hard.

Bona Fide
post #153 of 179 Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Bickering and offensive images removed. Infractions issued. Further off topic posts or confrontational tones will result in loss of posting privileges.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #154 of 179 Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM

I like the tags for this topic especially the order they came in.

For some reason, I get the feeling Sony would have had less trouble w/ piracy if they had been more encouraging w/ homebrews by allowing free submissions for free on their psn instead of taking away things.

FWIW, I only read the first two page and it was looking more like a "no ur wrong" "no u r" and so forth.
post #155 of 179 Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM

I like the tags for this topic especially the order they came in.

For some reason, I get the feeling Sony would have had less trouble w/ piracy if they had been more encouraging w/ homebrews by allowing free submissions for free on their psn instead of taking away things.

FWIW, I only read the first two page and it was looking more like a "no ur wrong" "no u r" and so forth.
post #156 of 179 Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Not sure if this was already posted (since I ducked out once the discussion got silly), but Eurogamer had a good feature on the PS3's security failure:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...curity-article

Quote:
Recriminations will inevitably fly over the hack itself. Plenty of people are already lining up to condemn the hackers who revealed the security flaw, which seems like fairly misdirected anger - investigating and uncovering security problems is a key part of the process which makes security better down the line, and bluntly, it's far better that this kind of issue be revealed by a "white hat" (that is to say, non-destructive and moral) group of hackers than for it to be found and exploited by "black hat" (destructive, profiteering or outright malicious) hackers.

[...]

Because it is, after all, the rest of the industry that will suffer the greatest impact from this security failure. The hackers who follow in Fail0verflow's footsteps and create custom firmware to run pirated games, emulators and so on will be targeting Sony's hardware, but it's third-party publishers and developers who have most right to be outraged. The licence fee they pay to Sony for every piece of software they sell is, in many respects, a fee for security - the price of selling software on a platform where piracy is difficult or damn-near impossible. Now that has been taken away from them, with the PS3 looking set to become the easiest platform to pirate software for - easier even than the Wii, DS or PSP, all notorious piracy targets but all of which require some degree of technical knowledge to get pirated software working.

[...]

On one front, however, it's hard to argue with Fail0verflow's logic. Sony's removal of Linux support from the PS3 Slim and subsequent deletion of OtherOS functionality from the original PS3's firmware was seen as a red flag to a bull within the hacker community, and activity on cracking the console's security unquestionably intensified in the wake of those actions. Many hackers who had never contemplated investigating Sony's security systems and probably never even used PS3 Linux were incensed - here was a system which provably had a working version of Linux, but which had been prevented from running it. This is exactly the kind of challenge which the hacker mindset relishes.

As a consequence, it's quite likely that more talented hacker groups, who had previously ignored the PS3, became interested in the problem. It seems that there's a two-tier system in place in the hacking community - there are the seriously clever, inventive people who investigate security systems and uncover their flaws, and then there are those who take those flaws and build products (mod chips, firmwares and so on) which exploit them for the purposes of piracy. While Sony maintained Linux on the PS3, those in the former group steered clear, for the most part - and those in the latter group simply weren't talented or knowledgeable enough to crack the security on the console.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #157 of 179 Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM

I couldn't read through all the pages of arguing but the best thing about my jailbroken ps3 the homebrew application called showtime. One of the best media playing applications for ps3 I've come across.
post #158 of 179 Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTfullaVOLTAGE View Post

I couldn't read through all the pages of arguing but the best thing about my jailbroken ps3 the homebrew application called showtime. One of the best media playing applications for ps3 I've come across.

One of the only media players,lol.
Best thing about it is that now you can yous WebMedia plugin and get over a 100 tv channels!I got Cinemax,Hbo and alot of international chanels.
post #159 of 179 Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hey, I remember when PS3's got hacked some time ago. There was tons of ads on Craigslist about modded PS3's, or "I can mod your PS3 for $30" stuff like that, heh heh.

Whatever happened to all of that? I never see those ads on Craigslist anymore.
post #160 of 179 Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIV73 View Post

One of the only media players,lol.
Best thing about it is that now you can yous WebMedia plugin and get over a 100 tv channels!I got Cinemax,Hbo and alot of international chanels.

Are you in the USA?
post #161 of 179 Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

I recently replaced my 60GB YLOD with a slim 320. Fixed the 60 with a reflow, and it is now on duty in my theater room. It will never see a game again. I only use it for movies. Streaming would be good, too. Should I jailbreak it? What is the current status on this? I haven't followed the scene at all.
post #162 of 179 Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

I recently replaced my 60GB YLOD with a slim 320. Fixed the 60 with a reflow, and it is now on duty in my theater room. It will never see a game again. I only use it for movies. Streaming would be good, too. Should I jailbreak it? What is the current status on this? I haven't followed the scene at all.

You still need to be able to upgrade to a newer firmware every year even playing Blu-ray movies because of change in the encryption. I kept one of my plat PS3 as Blu-ray player with firmware 3.15 and it can't play some of the newer Pixar Blu-ray movies such as Cars 2 because of incompatible encryption.
post #163 of 179 Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Most newer custom firmwares will take this into account and allow for updated blu-ray to play. You can always just rip the movie and play the rip w/o worrying about the extras on the disc, that will get you around the FW limitation/requirement.
post #164 of 179 Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Possibly a need to JB if you want to run homebrew and customize the console a bit. But as far as straight streaming in concerned, up to you. If you want customized streaming like using the ShowTime homebrew app then I would say go for it.

Current "scene" hasn't changed much in the past few months. Things have matured as far as CFW's are concerned with Rebug and Kmeaw all at a stable release with minor updates. Rogero came out with a new one a few weeks back.

The most progress has been made with the dongle scene stuff and patching eboot's. MultiMan is where it's at now for an all-in-one media manager solution and provides some really fancy front-end customizations.

If you have a need to dabble with homebrew stuff (I like all the old school emulators) then I would say run Rebug for the built-in value-add features like QA flagging etc. Then install MM on top to manage all your homebrew apps and media you install.
post #165 of 179 Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I can't even install Final fantasy xiii2 because of some trophy error.

Are there any downsides to hacking?

Can I still use Netflix? It's all I use PS3 for 99% of the time anyway.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #166 of 179 Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Are you in the USA?

Yes im in Buffalo NY.
post #167 of 179 Old 05-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

You still need to be able to upgrade to a newer firmware every year even playing Blu-ray movies because of change in the encryption. I kept one of my plat PS3 as Blu-ray player with firmware 3.15 and it can't play some of the newer Pixar Blu-ray movies such as Cars 2 because of incompatible encryption.

3.55 firmware(the latest that you can jailbreak without internal mods) plays all blu rays even 3D.
But who uses ps3 for blurays?lol.
I use it mainly for those movies i download from bittorent sites because ps3 plays almost any movie format except mkv but jailbroken ps3 even plays mkv files.Not to mention you can stream any file from pc or mac-PS3 is THE BEST MEDIA SERVER that is second to none.
post #168 of 179 Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I can't even install Final fantasy xiii2 because of some trophy error.

Are there any downsides to hacking?

Can I still use Netflix? It's all I use PS3 for 99% of the time anyway.

Not on software mod because you can always go back to the way your ps3 was before the jailbreak,and no netflix.

But jailbreak gives you more than netflix.On my Showtime Media Player app i have these channels:Playboy,Cinemax 1/2,HBO 1/2,Hustler,Penthouse,Disney,Discovery just to name a few plus alot of international channels from Britain,France,Russia,Ukraine,Turkey and more.Plus Showtime has a movie channel that has movies added to it every day in 1080/720p,i just watched The Avengers few weeks ago before it hit the theaters.Movie channel has probably about 10000 movies that you can play and ff and rewind.
But yeah my ps3 sees more use than my pc,phone,cable combined.
post #169 of 179 Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

Possibly a need to JB if you want to run homebrew and customize the console a bit. But as far as straight streaming in concerned, up to you. If you want customized streaming like using the ShowTime homebrew app then I would say go for it.

Current "scene" hasn't changed much in the past few months. Things have matured as far as CFW's are concerned with Rebug and Kmeaw all at a stable release with minor updates. Rogero came out with a new one a few weeks back.

The most progress has been made with the dongle scene stuff and patching eboot's. MultiMan is where it's at now for an all-in-one media manager solution and provides some really fancy front-end customizations.

If you have a need to dabble with homebrew stuff (I like all the old school emulators) then I would say run Rebug for the built-in value-add features like QA flagging etc. Then install MM on top to manage all your homebrew apps and media you install.

There are better firmware now than Rogero and Kmeaw,Rebug is not bad but its not as stable as other ones.I would recommend PS3ITA cfw-its one of the best ones.
post #170 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Not on software mod because you can always go back to the way your ps3 was before the jailbreak,and no netflix.

But jailbreak gives you more than netflix.On my Showtime Media Player app i have these channels:Playboy,Cinemax 1/2,HBO 1/2,Hustler,Penthouse,Disney,Discovery just to name a few plus alot of international channels from Britain,France,Russia,Ukraine,Turkey and more.Plus Showtime has a movie channel that has movies added to it every day in 1080/720p,i just watched The Avengers few weeks ago before it hit the theaters.Movie channel has probably about 10000 movies that you can play and ff and rewind.
But yeah my ps3 sees more use than my pc,phone,cable combined.

Wait.... You watched "The Avengers" from home on this app? Was it a pirated version or some kind of cam? And it was streaming?

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
post #171 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDeuce View Post

Wait.... You watched "The Avengers" from home on this app? Was it a pirated version or some kind of cam? And it was streaming?

yea im also intrested in this, i heard there was a media player project that was supposed to rival xbmc but it dissapeared
post #172 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDeuce View Post

It was cam rip,but 99 percent of movies on Snowtime app are not,they are 720/1080p,that new Battle Ship.movie is not camrip but pirated version.And yeah they are all streaming,plus you can forward them and rewind them.

Im can take a video of Showtime in action on my phone and post it on youtube if ya want.
post #173 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-082 View Post

yea im also intrested in this, i heard there was a media player project that was supposed to rival xbmc but it dissapeared

Its not as good as xbmc but its getting there,i say its much more simple to use than xbmc.
It plays any format,has live tv channels and better than netflix movies and series streaming.
post #174 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Guys, remember where you are...

NO PIRACY TALK

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #175 of 179 Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

NO PIRACY TALK

No, no.... Remember, early on you can see the posts: Jailbreaking the PS3 has veeeeeeery little to do with piracy...

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #176 of 179 Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

NO PIRACY TALK

No piracy at all,just homebrew.
post #177 of 179 Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No piracy at all,just homebrew.

That Showtime app could be considered piracy, especially if it has a cam rip of the avengers.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #178 of 179 Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

That Showtime app could be considered piracy, especially if it has a cam rip of the avengers.

No no my friend,its a Showtime plug-in that needs to be modded to all that.Showtime by itself only plays files on ps3's hd.If you consider that piracy than you have to consider vlc,xbmc and any browser piracy,lol.
You can use it for piracy like you can use vlc player or xmbc to watch free movies-its up to the user weather they want to do that,and 99 percent of them do.
post #179 of 179 Old 05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No no my friend,its a Showtime plug-in that needs to be modded to all that.Showtime by itself only plays files on ps3's hd.If you consider that piracy than you have to consider vlc,xbmc and any browser piracy,lol.
You can use it for piracy like you can use vlc player or xmbc to watch free movies-its up to the user weather they want to do that,and 99 percent of them do.

You mentioned streaming of movies that are still in theaters. That is what I was talking about.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page