post #31 of 45 Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

All PS3's are wireless G .. an N router will not change that and will offer no improvement .. It's usually not a good idea to give advice unless you know what you're talking about

He didn't suggest getting a wireless N router and using it directly with the PS3, he suggested a wireless N ethernet bridge used with a wireless N router, which would be perfectly viable. It's usually not a good idea to condescend unless you know what you're being condescending about.

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

He didn't suggest getting a wireless N router and using it directly with the PS3, he suggested a wireless N ethernet bridge used with a wireless N router, which would be perfectly viable. It's usually not a good idea to condescend unless you know what you're being condescending about.

- Jer

Expain to me then, how any PS3, since they are all wireless G, can receive/send data any faster than wireless G is capable .. no matter what the router speed .. ?? Unless you replace the PS3 wireless module with an N module ..??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #33 of 45 Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Expain to me then, how any PS3, since they are all wireless G, can receive/send data any faster than wireless G is capable .. no matter what the router speed .. ?? Unless you replace the PS3 wireless module with an N module ..??

Read again, it seems to me they were referring to connecting the PS3 by Ethernet to a wireless N bridge, then using an 802.11n connection from the bridge to a wireless N router that is connected to the WAN uplink. The key word is "bridge" not "router". A bridge connects two networks at the physical/link-level; in this case it's clear from context the bridge is between 802.11 wireless and wired Ethernet.
post #34 of 45 Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
post #35 of 45 Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
First of all I'd like to give a HUGE KUDOS to lizrussspike for his suggestion on the Ethernet Powerline adapter.

I was a bit of a skeptic...but I was also desperate so I bought a Netgear Powerline AV 200. I never, EVER, in this world would have thought this would work but it does, and it's smokin' fast compared to wireless. It's the best money I've yet to spend on the PS3. And most of all I didn't have to drill holes and crawl around under the house! I mean it's not hardwired but's still great. No lag at all and it's a good 10-15X faster than the cheap wireless method of the PS3. Here's the link to the product...even though I bought it at Best Buy (in store):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-362-_-Product

XBL Gamertag: CoolZero78

Current Games: COD: Ghosts

post #36 of 45 Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Lucky! I tried them at my house and it was a no-go. Didn't work at all. Seems to be hit or miss on these whether or not they work.
post #37 of 45 Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Another option if you want to eliminate the stuttering would be to adjust the Video Quality bandwith setting is PS3MS.

I have mine adjusted to 8.8 to deal with wireless lagging.
post #38 of 45 Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Another option if you want to eliminate the stuttering would be to adjust the Video Quality bandwith setting is PS3MS.

I have mine adjusted to 8.8 to deal with wireless lagging.

Tried adjusting that and a few other things in PSMS before I went to the Ethernet Powerline. It helped a little but the stuttering eventually still always showed it's ugly face.

XBL Gamertag: CoolZero78

Current Games: COD: Ghosts

post #39 of 45 Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I still haven't fixed the wired gigabit in my bedroom (on the list for this weekend) I am still on wifi.

I was having some bad pausing about every second or two, so I edited the setting Turd posted above to 14 and it completely resolved the issue. Just passing along for those looking for a solution for wifi.
post #40 of 45 Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm wired and get stuttering on the Vudu service.

I think it has more to do with the PS3's lack of RAM and trying to buffer lots of huge HD content.

I wonder if putting a squid cache between the inet and the ps3 would help.
post #41 of 45 Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I can stream full 1080p over gigabit without any stuttering. You should not have stuttering on Vudu, it sounds like a connection problem to me.
post #42 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke_box View Post

First of all I'd like to give a HUGE KUDOS to lizrussspike for his suggestion on the Ethernet Powerline adapter.

I was a bit of a skeptic...but I was also desperate so I bought a Netgear Powerline AV 200. I never, EVER, in this world would have thought this would work but it does, and it's smokin' fast compared to wireless. It's the best money I've yet to spend on the PS3. And most of all I didn't have to drill holes and crawl around under the house! I mean it's not hardwired but's still great. No lag at all and it's a good 10-15X faster than the cheap wireless method of the PS3. Here's the link to the product...even though I bought it at Best Buy (in store):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-362-_-Product

Plus 1 here! This was a perfect solution for me. Very happy this was posted and it has fixed all my problems. Thank you so much! The only problem I discovered afterwards with my setup is that my CPU was maxing out (only 1.8Ghz) and I was getting some stuttering. Tried configuring PMS with the recommended settings above and nothing resolved it. Saw my firewall (Zone Alarm) was full of traffic when trying to play movies. As soon as I shut down ZA, no more stutters. Assuming ZA running with my maxed out CPU became too much. Happy camper now! Thanks all.
post #43 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveri9720 View Post

Plus 1 here! This was a perfect solution for me. Very happy this was posted and it has fixed all my problems. Thank you so much! The only problem I discovered afterwards with my setup is that my CPU was maxing out (only 1.8Ghz) and I was getting some stuttering. Tried configuring PMS with the recommended settings above and nothing resolved it. Saw my firewall (Zone Alarm) was full of traffic when trying to play movies. As soon as I shut down ZA, no more stutters. Assuming ZA running with my maxed out CPU became too much. Happy camper now! Thanks all.

Awesome,
The product was mentioned by another AVS member, and I tried it out. I have no issues at all with Black Ops or Netflix. It may not work for some, but really worked for me!! Glad you are happy, spread the word!

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS20,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console
post #44 of 45 Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKBSRK View Post

Yes thats correct. Hardwire the ps3 to the router. It should also be noted that the pc should be hardwired to the router too if possible. An all ethernet connection is best for streaming.

If the PC is still wireless, then the stream may still be bottlenecked by that connection if it is weak enough.

Just to put it in terms of numbers, a wireless g signal can travel 54 mbps, which is theroetical and optimal. Most likely you arent close to that due to interference etc. An ethernet connection is a steady 100 mbps.

Is there any way to plug it simply trough.. just PS3 and PC, so I won't have to buy one extra adapter for connecting wifi-router?
post #45 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosslund View Post

Is there any way to plug it simply trough.. just PS3 and PC, so I won't have to buy one extra adapter for connecting wifi-router?

I've already solved the problem. There are settings in program "PS3 Media Server" where you can choose wich NIC and I.P. adress you want to use . So it's very simple. However set right connection between PC (win7) and PS3 has been trully nightmare!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page