Samsung LCD TV searching for signal with PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I did a pretty thorough search on this, but couldn't find a solution. My problem is that my Samsung LCD model #LN46A550P searches for signal when I start or quit a game or blu-ray movie on my 160GB PS3 slim. I have the PS3 hooked up directly to the TV via a HDMI 1.3 cable. When the PS3 system starts up, it displays in 1080p as it should, but then when you start a game or movie, the screen goes black and it says "searching for signal" for a few seconds. Then the game or movie starts. With the games, is this normal since they are actually 720p rather than 1080p and the TV is just taking a moment to adjust the resolution? I have a friend who has an older PS3 and a Vizio LCD and he doesn't have any sort of screen going black issue or searching for signal problem. Although the PS3 works fine, this is just a bit annoying so I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a solution?

I've gone through the settings on the PS3 trying different things, tried a couple different HDMI cables, a couple different HDMI ports on the TV, tried changing the name of the HDMI port on the TV to something like "PC", and I also updated the TV"s firmware to the latest version. Nothing has worked and I'm out of ideas here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

I think its cause when you play a blu ray it plays at 24 instead of 60. My parents sammy does this with their blu ray player also.

Bona Fide
post #3 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My LN52A650 doesn't do this, though it will go black during resolution or 60/24 framerate switches, and the video doesn't come through right away when I power up the PS3...

- Jer
post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

jhaines, so your TV does go black during resolution or 60/24 frame rate switches, but doesn't say "searching for signal"? It seems like it's doing the same thing then, only not displaying the "searching for signal" text.

I forgot to mention, sometimes when it's switching resolutions like at the start of a game, the sound will pop for a second. It doesn't do it every time, but should I be concerned about this?

Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Liked: 93
It's normal, don't worry about it. The lame scaling system and constrictive RAM on the PS3 forces output resolutions to closely mimic rendering resolutions. The end result is that the console constantly switches between spitting out 720p and 1080i/p depending on what thing you are currently doing. It's like switching between various HD channels on your TV, and how they will flip between 480i/720p/1080i all the time.

It's annoying, but it's normal for this particular console.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

It's normal, don't worry about it. The lame scaling system and constrictive RAM on the PS3 forces output resolutions to closely mimic rendering resolutions. The end result is that the console constantly switches between spitting out 720p and 1080i/p depending on what thing you are currently doing. It's like switching between various HD channels on your TV, and how they will flip between 480i/720p/1080i all the time.

It's annoying, but it's normal for this particular console.

Okay, good to know. I've been kicking myself trying to figure out why it was doing this! Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
My LNT4671 does the same thing. No worries.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page