Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 275 Old 11-12-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
As someone who got bored very quickly of Oblivion and Fallout 3, I have to say that Skyrim is pretty awesome. The story is immediately engaging and the menu system is intuitive and accessible. The combat is great and is much tougher than the Fable series, but not as intense as Demon's Souls. The game is great looking, but I think RDR (on the 360) still holds the crown for best-looking open world game. Mind you, since I'm playing Skyrim on the PS3, it might not be a fair comparison (Rage blows them both away, but I concede the scope of that game is rather limited in comparison).

I finally understand why people love this series and put countless of hours into it (this game is going to be a huge time suck). The third person perspective (which I greatly prefer for this type of game) is much better now, though I have to switch to first person for easier combat. I don't know how long this game is, but I've probably put in 6+ hrs and have hardly scratched the surface. At this point in time with both Oblivion and Fallout 3, I pretty much threw in the towel out of boredom.

The only frustrating thing about the game so far is the limited carrying capacity. By the time I realised this, I had wasted money on some unnecessary things, whereas I should have been saving for a house. At first, I had a companion to split the load, but unfortunately she was killed in a battle (had to go back to a previous save) and I don't want to risk it again. I'll be lucky to finish this game and Dark Souls before ME3 releases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 275 Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't even need to play the game... just watch the trailer... it's so pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnhTO-A-2E

post #93 of 275 Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Man, this game is just blowing me away, it's awesome. The story, the mechanics, the graphics, the sounds, the music...

Especially the music, it's just epic. VERY high quality. Just lovin' it.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #94 of 275 Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Typical Bethesda game

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #95 of 275 Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would I like this game? I have never played an obilvion game, but I did like fallout 3 and I like Demon's souls and many other RPG's.

I'm thinking of picking this up around Christmas, anyone that has it how is it?
post #96 of 275 Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Would I like this game? I have never played an obilvion game, but I did like fallout 3 and I like Demon's souls and many other RPG's.

If you like RPGs and especially if you like Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this very much. Besides, there aren't many studios left who can afford to make RPGs of this scope anymore. So, yes, get it.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #97 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Typical Bethesda game

I've never been more worried about a game purchase as I was for this. FNV made me want to curb stomp my PS3. FO3 DLC was maddening. I've got just under 10 hours on Skyrim and have not seen a single glitch. I have experienced some slow down going into and coming out of the menu...but that's it. Color me pleasantly surprised.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #98 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

I played some more over the weekend and hit level 41. My Smithing, Heavy Armor, and Blocking are all level 100. My single-handed skill is at level 96, so I should be able to hit 100 tonight.

I've crafted a complete Dragon bone plate set (including shield) with a Deadric sword (base damage 34). At this point my guy is only susceptible to magic damage. Last night I went into a dungeon and stood there for 5 minutes while two ghost smashed their maces against my face and my health never went below 97%. I did, however, get smacked down from an Elder frost dragon, and it was almost a relief because I thought the game was had reached an unbalance.

My next goal is to reach level 100 in Enchanting and power up my primary armor and sword.

Oh, also, the Bradly CE guide for this game is insane. It has everything, and it's something like 650 pages!
post #99 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm thinking of picking this up around Christmas, anyone that has it how is it?

I think you'd love it. I got bored in Oblivion about 7 hours in, but Skyrim has me completely engrossed. The mechanics are very similar to Fallout 3 so you'll feel right at home.
post #100 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzbauer View Post

I think you'd love it. I got bored in Oblivion about 7 hours in, but Skyrim has me completely engrossed. The mechanics are very similar to Fallout 3 so you'll feel right at home.

Cool, I liked FO3 and dislike Oblivion. I am in no hurry, gives the PC mod community time to make the magic happen.

post #101 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

will i have a hard time with the storyline having never played an elder scrolls game before? Or is it pretty typical fantasy rpg stuff?
post #102 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

will i have a hard time with the storyline having never played an elder scrolls game before? Or is it pretty typical fantasy rpg stuff?

Nah, you shouldn't worry. Each game fits into the bigger picture, but stands by itself.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #103 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not an issue. I've played Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion, and each game is like a new take on the same world. Bethesda's approach is always to focus on a small story within a much larger world, so the plots are completely self-contained. But for fans of the series, you really develop a deep affection for the world and its history, and you will read about events/cultures/people from prior games in the books you find. It's a good balance.

And calling it "typical fantasy RPG stuff" isn't giving the series nearly enough credit. No studio making RPGs has ever been so consistent in designing compelling worlds and compelling stories.

post #104 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM

This is the first time I've ever played an Elder Scrolls game. After watching trailers and gameplay videos on the internet, this was a blind buy for me. So far, I've really enjoyed playing. The game looks awesome. It's definitely a nice change playing a single player RPG coming from playing WOW the last few years.
post #105 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

This is the first time I've ever played an Elder Scrolls game. After watching trailers and gameplay videos on the internet, this was a blind buy for me. So far, I've really enjoyed playing. The game looks awesome. It's definitely a nice change playing a single player RPG coming from playing WOW the last few years.

Great to hear! I just cancelled my WOW account after 4+ years of playing. Looking to change it up! Going to start playing it tonight!

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
Aperion 6C Center Channel, 4T Towers, 5DB Surrounds, and Bravus 10 sub
post #106 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never played Oblivion either. I've been able to follow Skyrim so far.

It's beautiful, the soundtrack is excellent, and it's absolutely enormous. The hand-to-hand combat certainly isn't on par with Dark Souls, but it's still very satisfying...especially with the magic casting.

I think you'd like it. We've already created a chat a la Soul Glo. I'll send you an invite if you get the game.

post #107 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Has Bethesda released a patch for installing the game on the XBOX 360 related to the texture issues? Or should I play from the disc for now?
post #108 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the PS3 subforum. I'd suggest checking out the 360 subforum's thread.

post #109 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Has Bethesda released a patch for installing the game on the XBOX 360 related to the texture issues? Or should I play from the disc for now?

No patch yet. Play from the disc for now. Or better yet, switch to the PS3 version. No need to worry about a fix!

post #110 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Playing from the disc can show the bug too, it is some bug in the caching.

Amazon has added Skyrim to the BOGO deal they have right now, including UC3, Batman, All4One and a few others.

post #111 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

No patch yet. Play from the disc for now. Or better yet, switch to the PS3 version. No need to worry about a fix!

Lol sorry, didn't catch the PS3 part. My apologies.
post #112 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Typical Bethesda game

A game of this size and scope, it's impossible not to get glitches.

I read an interesting article the other day that said that Gears of War 2 got 50,000 hours of testing before release. That's a lot. Except that the game sold about 2 million copies on day one - that means that players put more time into the game than Epic did within the first few minutes of release.

Players put more time into Skyrim than Betheseda within a couple hours of release. Of course players are going to catch a bunch of stuff that Betheseda missed.
post #113 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I just ordered it (PC) with Amazon's BOG50 deal with All4One.

post #114 of 275 Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I also used that Amazon sale and ordered Skyrim for PS3 along with Uncharted 3. I know Uncharted 3 will be on sale during Black Friday, but such is life.
post #115 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzbauer View Post

I'm exactly the same as you. With Oblivion I was done after a few hours due to boredom and a clunky experience. I bit on Skyrim after a friend recommended it and wow what a difference. The game runs 100% better than the previous Bethesda games, looks beautiful, and has great pacing. I just hit level 12 and experienced my only problem- a freeze when I pulled up the item menu during an autosave. This many hours into FNV I know that I had a couple of freezes and had to reload to fix environment problems. The good thing about my one and only freeze? A Dragon dropped by on my way back to where I was and I bagged 'em

I even like the menu system better because it's simple and gets you in and out pretty quickly. Some folks are complaining that the menus are too modern, etc. If you're gonna get pulled out of the experience to change a weapon in a menu then you might as well make it as quick and clear as possible. Had they used, say, the hard to read font that's in all the books then I would not have been as happy.

Quote:

Read the books! I didn't realize how many books are scattered in the world but it's a ton. Apparently Oblivion did this too but I didn't get that far (see above). I've caught up on lots of history with those things. Even if I didn't read any books I don't feel lost at all, they do a good job telling the current story.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #116 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Read the books! I didn't realize how many books are scattered in the world but it's a ton. Apparently Oblivion did this too but I didn't get that far (see above). I've caught up on lots of history with those things. Even if I didn't read any books I don't feel lost at all, they do a good job telling the current story.

I can't believe the content they had to churn out to fill all these books. There must be hundreds. That's impressive.

post #117 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I can't believe the content they had to churn out to fill all these books. There must be hundreds. That's impressive.

I was thinking the same. Some are longer than you would think, and are written with obvious care. A cool collectible that serves a real purpose.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #118 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I enjoyed fallout 3, but I've never been a fan of the "fantasy" genre. I'm more of a FPS guy. Could Skyrim be for me? Is the fantasy aspect central to the experience or secondary?
post #119 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Bethesda knows full well how important those books are to their games. The casual fans don't typically bother, but those of us who have been with the series for a long time have developed a deep affection for many of those "random" books. They didn't play much of a role in Oblivion, but I'm hoping they'll be more important in Skyrim. Great material. I remember trying to collect a full library in my house in Morrowind. Never finished my collection. But it was fun trying. And I would literally spend hours sitting and reading through those volumes.

post #120 of 275 Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Just saw this video and thought it was hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aU...layer_embedded
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page