Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 275 Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Love the Sanguine Rose- it was getting me through areas I was too weak to be doing at the time as I got it early on. A friend told me it was in Oblivion as well. I didn't really play Oblivion so, was it the same?

Either way the first time I used it was a crack up. I ran into the middle of a camp of bandits and let one loose. I couldn't stop laughing as he charged around lighting them on fire and yelling challenges. It definitely burns through the soul gems so I try and use it sparingly, but what fun it is.

Haven't gotten it in Skyrim (yet), but in Oblivion it was just a Daedra summoning device. I'm not big on the summoning magics (in Oblivion, the summoned Daedra could turn on you), but that's the great thing about Skyrim: play the game however you want!

I will say, though, that I love how Skyrim introduces the Daedric artifacts to you. It's always odd and unexpected. The Daedra of Skyrim are sneaky, deceptive, and integrated into human society, similar to the gods of Greek myth. Love it. So far, I only have one Daedric artifact (Wobbajack), but the quest to get it was really cool.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 275 Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Haven't gotten it in Skyrim (yet), but in Oblivion it was just a Daedra summoning device. I'm not big on the summoning magics (in Oblivion, the summoned Daedra could turn on you), but that's the great thing about Skyrim: play the game however you want!

I will say, though, that I love how Skyrim introduces the Daedric artifacts to you. It's always odd and unexpected. The Daedra of Skyrim are sneaky, deceptive, and integrated into human society, similar to the gods of Greek myth. Love it. So far, I only have one Daedric artifact (Wobbajack), but the quest to get it was really cool.

Haven't had one turn on me (yet), even after a couple whacks from me while fighting in a tight space. Guess I'll have to keep my head on a swivel when I use one. The quest to get the Sanguine Rose is still the most entertaining one I've done (so far).

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is offline  
post #183 of 275 Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frankthetoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Love the Sanguine Rose- it was getting me through areas I was too weak to be doing at the time as I got it early on. A friend told me it was in Oblivion as well. I didn't really play Oblivion so, was it the same?

Either way the first time I used it was a crack up. I ran into the middle of a camp of bandits and let one loose. I couldn't stop laughing as he charged around lighting them on fire and yelling challenges. It definitely burns through the soul gems so I try and use it sparingly, but what fun it is.

Sanguine Rose is awesome. Though he's not great against every enemy, he at least takes their attention away from you. I use him in almost every fight.

As long as you get Azura's Star, you never have to worry about soul gems again...but you will be casting soul trap a lot.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
frankthetoad is offline  
post #184 of 275 Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Member
 
MakoCSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ended up getting Skyrim for PC. It looks amazing with my GTX 460 (much better than the PS3 did). I'm not generally a graphics wh0r3, but the lousy performance with the rental, and the PS3 issues I keep hearing about told me it's better to be safe than sorry. The fact that the PC version of Skyrim has native support for a wired XBox 360 controller (which I have) was a bonus. Not to mention the mods.

PSN: MakoCSH
MakoCSH is offline  
post #185 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frankthetoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The patch seemed to help my performance issues somewhat...though I do get the occasional freeze requiring me to power off the PS3. At least the lag is better. I've also been resting four in-game days at the end of every gaming session. Recent comments by a FNV developer lead me to believe that environmental/game items will reset after three days (i.e., lanterns, pots, chairs you bump into while exploring). Don't know if this has helped...but I figure it can't hurt. I've also turned off every autosave feature. That most definitely has helped.

I am almost finished with the game. Just a few more missions remaining and I'll have the platinum. I'd said after FNV that I'd never buy a Bethesda game again. I guess I lied. This time I'll try to be more realistic and say that I'll never again buy a Bethesda game on release day! I really have enjoyed this game. It's epic in its scope and the story is great...but the bugs/glitches are borderline inexcusable.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
frankthetoad is offline  
post #186 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Performance-wise I haven't been experiencing the kinds of major problems that some of you have. I've got to be in the 60 hour range and I've had five freezes (yes I've been counting), and one of my bookshelves in my house is not working: cannot remove, read, or add books. The second bookshelf is working fine, so go figure. The bookshelf thing happened with the patch, otherwise everything else improved greatly.

Still has problems, yet Skyrim is running better that Fallout 3 ever did. I can't excuse Bethesda but at least they're not going backwards. Call it baby step improvements each game. I'll have to wait out all future games from these guys as well- a shame because the content is so well done.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is offline  
post #187 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

The patch seemed to help my performance issues somewhat...though I do get the occasional freeze requiring me to power off the PS3. At least the lag is better. I've also been resting four in-game days at the end of every gaming session. Recent comments by a FNV developer lead me to believe that environmental/game items will reset after three days (i.e., lanterns, pots, chairs you bump into while exploring). Don't know if this has helped...but I figure it can't hurt. I've also turned off every autosave feature. That most definitely has helped.

I am almost finished with the game. Just a few more missions remaining and I'll have the platinum. I'd said after FNV that I'd never buy a Bethesda game again. I guess I lied. This time I'll try to be more realistic and say that I'll never again buy a Bethesda game on release day! I really have enjoyed this game. It's epic in its scope and the story is great...but the bugs/glitches are borderline inexcusable.

They make great content, but apparently don't have a clue when it comes to engine design / implementation.

I was under the understanding that Skyrim was on a new engine built from the ground up. That interview with the FO:NV Dev then goes on to say that Skyrim is running on their same old gamebryo engine with new modifications. That's horrible, especially since this is not the 4 game to have game breaking memory issues.

Haven't bought it, and it appears I won't be.
TyrantII is offline  
post #188 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
deathindustrial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Soviet Kanuckistan
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm around 89 hours in and have had 3 or 4 crashes and experienced some slow down though it seems more manageable after the patch. The ending of Oblivion on the PS3 was unplayable slideshow and its lag more annoying than with Skyrim (way more stutter).

I have to say though that the sheer number of "ooh aaaah" moments this game has given me plus the amount of play time makes this in the top games for me personally this gen. Every single quest in the game could be bugged and you could still spend hours and hours with it.
deathindustrial is offline  
post #189 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chairman7w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They make great content, but apparently don't have a clue when it comes to engine design / implementation.

I was under the understanding that Skyrim was on a new engine built from the ground up. That interview with the FO:NV Dev then goes on to say that Skyrim is running on their same old gamebryo engine with new modifications. That's horrible, especially since this is not the 4 game to have game breaking memory issues.

Haven't bought it, and it appears I won't be.

Suit yourself. I'm probably 60 hours in and just having a ball. Never had an issue. If it froze up on me tomorrow and never worked again it would have been WELL worth the money. Then I'd start a new game with a different style character. Then another. There are THAT many locations and quests. The entertainment to dollar ratio in this game is probably the best I've ever seen.

To whine about what might happen after a 100 hours of gameplay (to me) is just silly. I swear to God some people LOOK for stuff to complain about. (shrug) Oh well, I'm lovin it.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

 

 

Chairman7w is offline  
post #190 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Haven't bought it, and it appears I won't be.

Since I think you have a choice, play it on the other console. Some minor issues in that version, but better than previous Bethesda games.

However, the PS3 issues are simply unconscionable, and the gaming press' role in all of this is almost unforgivable. It's their job to let us know about this stuff ahead of time. Instead, they all just played the 360 version and cut-and-pasted their reviews for the PS3, so they totally missed this major flaw. Meanwhile, millions of PS3 owners went out and bought a broken game that may or may not be able to be fixed with a patch.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #191 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

I'm around 89 hours in and have had 3 or 4 crashes and experienced some slow down though it seems more manageable after the patch. The ending of Oblivion on the PS3 was unplayable slideshow and its lag more annoying than with Skyrim (way more stutter).

I have to say though that the sheer number of "ooh aaaah" moments this game has given me plus the amount of play time makes this in the top games for me personally this gen. Every single quest in the game could be bugged and you could still spend hours and hours with it.

I didn't really play Oblivion, but I agree. If ever there was a game where the content helps cover the bugs it's this one. I had a love/hate relationship with FO3, and Skyrim is the same with more love/less hate. I think people get frustrated, and rightly so, when giant size games from other devs run without so many game breaking faults.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is offline  
post #192 of 275 Old 12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I play the unmodded PC version and have dumped to the desktop like a dozen times in 30 hours. Not great programming on any platform as far as I can tell, this is true of all their games. Pick up the GOTY version in a year, you will have a hard time getting into after DS anyhow (lame combat, blabbing NPCs, e tc.)

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #193 of 275 Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frankthetoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Since I think you have a choice, play it on the other console. Some minor issues in that version, but better than previous Bethesda games.

However, the PS3 issues are simply unconscionable, and the gaming press' role in all of this is almost unforgivable. It's their job to let us know about this stuff ahead of time. Instead, they all just played the 360 version and cut-and-pasted their reviews for the PS3, so they totally missed this major flaw. Meanwhile, millions of PS3 owners went out and bought a broken game that may or may not be able to be fixed with a patch.

To be fair...and I usually don't stand up for these guys...they weren't given an advance copy of the PS3 version. I don't think a single review site did. They were given the PC and 360 versions and had to actually buy a PS3 copy when the rest of us did. I had thought that was a red flag when we first heard about it....

I do want to say that I've gotten my money's worth. Since I measure my game completion in terms of trophies....I'll have the platinum tonight. I've put in 100 hours of gameplay and truly have enjoyed almost all of it. To the folks on here that can't believe I'm whining, I simply wish to point out that this isn't the first time Bethesda has put out a buggy product on the PS3. I also fully acknowledge that some people simply aren't experiencing the problems that I and others are.

The fact remains that this superb game has a dark cloud hanging over it. It's the same dark cloud that moved over FNV and FO3 DLC. Extreme lag and glitched quests. Luckily for me, I've only had one quest glitch on me and two Shout word walls. If either of these had negatively affected my pursuit of the platinum, I'd have be incensed.

I just wanted to be clear that I am loving this game, getting more than $60 worth of entertainment, but am disappointed in the lack of testing on the PS3. I suspect that the issues currently plaguing this game will keep it from winning GOTY...which I believe it definitely should win were it not for these issues.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
frankthetoad is offline  
post #194 of 275 Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

To be fair...and I usually don't stand up for these guys...they weren't given an advance copy of the PS3 version. I don't think a single review site did. They were given the PC and 360 versions and had to actually buy a PS3 copy when the rest of us did. I had thought that was a red flag when we first heard about it....

Not really an excuse. You'd think that reviewers would recognize that as a big red flag and not been so quick to cut-and-paste the 360/PC review text into their PS3 reviews. Most sites were so distracted by their own hype for the game that they overlooked that little snag. But to their credit, most sites have now pulled their PS3 review from their individual sites and from Metacritic. I think IGN are now the only major site who hasn't done so.

Quote:


I suspect that the issues currently plaguing this game will keep it from winning GOTY...which I believe it definitely should win were it not for these issues.

Doubtful. The game released without any game-breaking bugs on other platforms (PC and 360). So I'm sure most sites will still give it GotY without hesitation. Word now, though, is that the same basic framerate issue might occur in the 360 version as well, but because that console doesn't have the same memory bottleneck as the PS3, it just takes longer for it to show itself (around the 120-150hr mark rather than the 50-60hr mark). This really becomes a problem for DLC because players will have put in so much time by then that more and more players will start running into this killer framerate problem.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #195 of 275 Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lookilook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This really becomes a problem for DLC because players will have put in so much time by then that more and more players will start running into this killer framerate problem.

Yea, this is my concern too. I've put close to 100hrs in but the framerate issue is becoming unbearable (In Solitude, sometimes I can't move 3 ft without a frame skipping). I thought about getting a 360 version but I just hate to start over..I'd almost prefer the loading screen now.
Lookilook is offline  
post #196 of 275 Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I finished the Winterhold College string the other day. I'm mid 30's level wise and had neglected my magic quite a lot, so it seemed like the place to go. Not sure why I waited so long, but maybe because the white parts of the map are harder? Anyhoo this quest line and location pays off if your short on soul gems, magic skill, or things to do. I wish I had remembered to change my skill stone over to magic from combat, but live and learn.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is offline  
post #197 of 275 Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
TedSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I was under the understanding that Skyrim was on a new engine built from the ground up. That interview with the FO:NV Dev then goes on to say that Skyrim is running on their same old gamebryo engine with new modifications.

Bethesda has said that FO:NV dev is incorrect.

Not that this affects the playability of the game; if the PS3 version is broken for different reasons than the previous games, it's still broken.

I'll wait for a patch; I waited for FO:NV, and had no serious problems when I finally played it, so I can do that again. (I've got a giant backlog, anyway.)
TedSeattle is offline  
post #198 of 275 Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Bethesda has said that FO:NV dev is incorrect.

Not that this affects the playability of the game; if the PS3 version is broken for different reasons than the previous games, it's still broken.

I'll wait for a patch; I waited for FO:NV, and had no serious problems when I finally played it, so I can do that again. (I've got a giant backlog, anyway.)

Yeah, I'm not sure I would trust the Obsidian folks (responsible for the ugly and buggy New Vegas) when it comes to tech issues. They'd love nothing more than to blame the massive technological shortcomings of their Fallout game on Bethesda.

Bethesda is claiming that it's actually a combination of multiple issues working together (for some people) to cause the framerate slog and crashes.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #199 of 275 Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Wurms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I finished the Winterhold College string the other day. I'm mid 30's level wise and had neglected my magic quite a lot, so it seemed like the place to go. Not sure why I waited so long, but maybe because the white parts of the map are harder? Anyhoo this quest line and location pays off if your short on soul gems, magic skill, or things to do. I wish I had remembered to change my skill stone over to magic from combat, but live and learn.

Yeah, I just finished Winterhold quest little bit ago when I was 25-ish. That was a great quest cause I was running low on soul gems. Also, love some of the items I picked up along the way, me being a necromancer and all

Love the Morokei mask!

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
Wurms is offline  
post #200 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I thought this was funny, Works for Oblivion too.


Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #201 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ethenolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Suit yourself. I'm probably 60 hours in and just having a ball. Never had an issue. If it froze up on me tomorrow and never worked again it would have been WELL worth the money. Then I'd start a new game with a different style character. Then another. There are THAT many locations and quests. The entertainment to dollar ratio in this game is probably the best I've ever seen.

To whine about what might happen after a 100 hours of gameplay (to me) is just silly. I swear to God some people LOOK for stuff to complain about. (shrug) Oh well, I'm lovin it.


Complaining that you cant play the game you purchased, in full, is hardly "looking" for something to complain about. Complaining about rare freezes or floating mammoths is looking for something to complain about.

There is a memory leak in the save file. The fact is, the PS3 version is broken.

I realize this is a stretch....But what if the frame rate of a movie dropped as you got closer and closer to the end? There's no way they would allow that to be released. It may be the best beginning to a movie you've ever seen, but just because you would watch the beginning over and over doesn't change the fact you cant comfortably watch to the end.

I just don't understand how they could over look something as large as this. Did no one test the PS3 version for more than 40 hours? If they are rshort staffed I'd gladly do future testing!
Ethenolas is offline  
post #202 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I thought this was funny, Works for Oblivion too.

It really does. And only just now am I hitting that leveling-off point.

I'm absolutely loving the game for everything that it gets right. I am constantly surprised by the level of craftsmanship in the interwoven storylines, character arcs, history, dynamic NPCs, world design, and incredibly tight and strategic play systems. It's an improvement in nearly every conceivable way on the long-running Bethesda formula.

But that's also one of its downfalls. I'm just cresting the 60-hour mark and am recognizing that Skryim--for all of its incredible improvements over prior games--is still riding out the same Bethesda formula. It's more of a next-gen Morrowind than Oblivion was, and IMO it's a quantifiably improved game over its predecessors (and is 10x the game that Fallout 3 was IMO).

But what's missing are the creative risks and design freshness of Morrowind. Even if the tech is better and the design is better, Skyrim doesn't quite "break the mold" like Morrowind did.

Regardless, no other game this year will get as many hours out of me as Skyrim. I want to follow each of the main threads to its narrative endpoint, and the game has grown intensely challenging and deeply strategic as I've progressed, and continues to grow in depth and challenge. I can see myself spending close to 200 hours before I'm done.

But "time spent playing" does not on its own equal greatness.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #203 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MaxDam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Loving this game,...These type of game are worth every penny,...
MaxDam77 is offline  
post #204 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I think Skyrim is the MMO for people who are not playing an MMO or who never have. It's all about the hamster wheel; do quest, level up and upgrade gear. All the stuff that people would mark down a game for gets swept over the rug because of the addive nature of an MMO. I guess I have played enough MMOs to see the Matrix.

Last night I was playing the quest to get into the party and get info. Such broken mechanics I had to laugh. From guards walking by me while sneaking a few feet in plain light, to me sneak sniping guys and running inside to break agro, then go back outside to attack again, over and over until I killed them all. I also love my hired NPC disappearing for several missions and then appearing next to me all of a sudden while sneaking around in a jail area underground. WTF, where were you buddy?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #205 of 275 Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Bethesda has said that FO:NV dev is incorrect.

Not that this affects the playability of the game; if the PS3 version is broken for different reasons than the previous games, it's still broken.

I'll wait for a patch; I waited for FO:NV, and had no serious problems when I finally played it, so I can do that again. (I've got a giant backlog, anyway.)

Agreed, I'm waiting and seeing. It just sucks this is the 4th game with apparently the same sort of issues (the more you play, the crappier the experience with the possibility of game breaking crashes). I can only conclude that someone is doing something seriously wrong development wise and they need some fresh eyes on how to code around the issue. If OB is right, and it seems like that would cause these issues, Beth needs to forget about persistence and just remove non important things from memory much more often. Joe Viking's state on the other side of the world should be on your HDD until you get within draw distance of him. Not loaded into memory 24/7 because you stole his wallet.

It's a kinda sad state of the gaming media industry when a game with these kind of issues is glossed over for GOTY. Then they have the nerve to bitch about Jaffe and Platinum misleading them for their copy pasta journalism.
TyrantII is offline  
post #206 of 275 Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I think I'm done with Skyrim, at least for a while. It is just getting more stale as it goes. Most of the quest are asking me to do ridiculousness stuff with no motivation.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I start the mission with the talking dog. Stupid NY cabby accent and all. He leads me up a mountain for ten minutes. We have to find some alter or something, it is non-sensitcal. We enter yet another cave system and we fight our way through vampires (ok...) and start talking to a alter or statue or something, he has an equally unfitting acccent. He wants me to get an axe. So off to yet another cave accross the world. I get nearby then my horse launches straight up and we fall down and the horse dies. Not my shadowmare! So reload the game, go in the cave, kill some dude for unknown reasons. Get axe, deliver it to statue. He goes poof and I'm left standing there with a dog. WTF?


Most of these types of quests make me think of this:



How so many publications gave Skyrim a 10/10 is mind boggling to me. So I'm off to play a game with purpose or a story or that has fun play mechanics. I played Batman AC last night, it didn't grab me but it was a nice change.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #207 of 275 Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My copy is still wrapped up and these comments are not building a desire for me to play.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
post #208 of 275 Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

My copy is still wrapped up and these comments are not building a desire for me to play.

Don't worry, the whole gaming world is under the spell, the odds are you will be too.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #209 of 275 Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I think I'm done with Skyrim, at least for a while. It is just getting more stale as it goes. Most of the quest are asking me to do ridiculousness stuff with no motivation.

Funny, I think I've turned a corner in the other direction. I was liking the game okay early on, then I was loving it, then I thought it was a little repetitive and it was starting to wear on me, now I'm really loving it even more than before.

What's keeping my attention most is the surprising strategic depth. That's something that no other Elder Scrolls game has offered. Combat has always been the weakness of the series. But no more. Just when I think I've learned all there is to learn about combat, some other possibility presents itself. It's truly incredibly how creative you have to be to survive some of these battles, especially the boss encounters. Exceptional work.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #210 of 275 Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I think I'm done with Skyrim, at least for a while. It is just getting more stale as it goes. Most of the quest are asking me to do ridiculousness stuff with no motivation.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I start the mission with the talking dog. Stupid NY cabby accent and all. He leads me up a mountain for ten minutes. We have to find some alter or something, it is non-sensitcal. We enter yet another cave system and we fight our way through vampires (ok...) and start talking to a alter or statue or something, he has an equally unfitting acccent. He wants me to get an axe. So off to yet another cave accross the world. I get nearby then my horse launches straight up and we fall down and the horse dies. Not my shadowmare! So reload the game, go in the cave, kill some dude for unknown reasons. Get axe, deliver it to statue. He goes poof and I'm left standing there with a dog. WTF?


Most of these types of quests make me think of this:



How so many publications gave Skyrim a 10/10 is mind boggling to me. So I'm off to play a game with purpose or a story or that has fun play mechanics. I played Batman AC last night, it didn't grab me but it was a nice change.

It's hard to avoid game fatigue with a title as large as Skyrim, since having hundreds of quest lines means there will be things that are repetitive. I'm loving the game but putting it down now and then keeps it from wearing on me. To keep things spicy I always walk rather than ride, and I always travel alone unless forced. Keeps you on your toes. And about that quest you mentioned-
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Daedric quests are supposed to be goofy non sequitur deals to lighten the game. I only did the first half of the one you mention, and I couldn't stand the dog voice either, but I can see the humor. Did you get the Sanguine Rose? That quest is very funny and definitely different than many others in this game.


Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Funny, I think I've turned a corner in the other direction. I was liking the game okay early on, then I was loving it, then I thought it was a little repetitive and it was starting to wear on me, now I'm really loving it even more than before.

What's keeping my attention most is the surprising strategic depth. That's something that no other Elder Scrolls game has offered. Combat has always been the weakness of the series. But no more. Just when I think I've learned all there is to learn about combat, some other possibility presents itself. It's truly incredibly how creative you have to be to survive some of these battles, especially the boss encounters. Exceptional work.

I agree. Just when I think I'm going to cruise along with one combat style and weapon set, the game throws something that requires adaptation to deal with. Since I walk and go it alone I've learned to deal with some interesting situations myself. I found this out when I went after a dragon icon for the first time-
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The dragon was parked on top of a tall rock. I started the fight, finished him off, and thought I was done. Before I took the time to recover I ran over to the chest/word wall to collect my spoils and got slammed by an undead wizard that popped out of the ground. I survived but it was a close thing. Best combat sequence and I'm over 80 hrs.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off