Wound up receiving this game as an unsolicited gift, so I'm giving it a shot despite the horror stories about game-breaking bugs.
Played up through the Golden Claw quest, and here are my impressions so far:
- Love the Nordic motif.
- Much better looking than Fallout 3.
- Building skills through usage is rational and appealing.
- Melee combat is really loose and crappy, but archery feels pretty good.
- In-game physics are laughably bad, especially for animals on uneven footing.
- 3rd-person view is much better than in Fallout 3, but still really awkward to use due to the screen-centered reticule that ignores which way your character is facing. It controls like it's still in 1st-person from the screen's point of view, but it happens to be drawing your character, too. There's really no excuse for this.
It's holding my interest so far. I'm going to try stealth/archery with no magic and see how long that works for me...