Next Gen SSX on the way!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 235 Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Thanks for posting that link. Those videos are amazing. I can not handle the anticipation.

I know what you mean! 5 more weeks...........

There is a IGN livestream event tom, Tues Jan 24 at 11am PST.

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1216774p1.html

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 235 Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
eddie is a preorder bonus. this just went from a buy to a maybe rent it. i am done with the preorder bull****.

500 gigs FTL.
post #63 of 235 Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Buying!
post #64 of 235 Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

eddie is a preorder bonus. this just went from a buy to a maybe rent it. i am done with the preorder bull****.

Eddie will be unlockable in the game so you dont have to preorder to get him.

post #65 of 235 Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 285
This is just a nitpick, but why is this a next Gen SSX? It's coming out on ps3 right? That is the current gen, ps4 would be next gen.

I am really excited about the game though.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #66 of 235 Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

This is just a nitpick, but why is this a next Gen SSX? It's coming out on ps3 right? That is the current gen, ps4 would be next gen.

Because there has never been an SSX game this gen... so it is "next gen" as compared with the previous games. It just took a while...

Yeah, I am excited as well
post #67 of 235 Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

SSX and SSX Tricky were PS2.

Next gen to PS2 is PS3.
post #68 of 235 Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Exactly, along with ssx3, on tour and blur.

Quote:

I am really excited about the game though.

Next gen since it is the first SSX on PS3/360.

post #69 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

TONS of SSX info this week! Lots of new video including the Giant Bomb and IGN ones.........

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9560

The official site has also been given a major upgrade with some cool interactive features.......

http://www.ea.com/ssx/1/explore-ssx

Mt Fuji info........

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9611

post #70 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just watched the vids. Am I the only one who thinks this looks too much like the old SSX games? I mean, I'm a big fan of those old games, but I'd love to see them do something new. Just watching some of those runs, I can already feel my hands doing the same familiar old routines. It's a bit like watching someone play Rock Band; I'm bored before I even have a chance to play.

Am I missing what's new here?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #71 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Just watched the vids. Am I the only one who thinks this looks too much like the old SSX games? I mean, I'm a big fan of those old games, but I'd love to see them do something new. Just watching some of those runs, I can already feel my hands doing the same familiar old routines. It's a bit like watching someone play Rock Band; I'm bored before I even have a chance to play.

I'm not sure you're missing anything. I kind of like that it is similar. Faster, better graphics, larger landscape and more lines, but basically the same old game. I LOVED the old games on PS2 and miss them since my old system is out of commission. So having an updated version on the PS3 is really all I need.

I think I've seen mention that they have some new control options but you can revert back to the old control as well. Nothing out of the ordinary there though.

I am glad they didn't make it entirely different just because they could. This seems to just be a generational update and I'm fine with that.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #72 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Trying to outrun an avalanche, with the camera looking back at you, is new to me (and looks really challenging). Deadly Descent mode is also really new; I suspect you may have missed those videos (or those parts of the videos). Did you watch the last 10-15 minutes of the veeeery long GiantBomb Quick Look?
post #73 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Is the game running at 60fps?

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #74 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

Trying to outrun an avalanche, with the camera looking back at you, is new to me (and looks really challenging). Deadly Descent mode is also really new; I suspect you may have missed those videos (or those parts of the videos). Did you watch the last 10-15 minutes of the veeeery long GiantBomb Quick Look?

Outracing an avalanche is far from new to snowboarding games. Last gen's 1080 Avalanche for Gamecube was built around that exact concept. And, yeah, I watched most of the Giant Bomb vid; that's exactly when I got that feeling of "Yup. Looks exactly like SSX."

My sense is that when they first announced a new SSX and received a lot of backlash (because it went for the "Xtreme Dude-Bro Throwdown Max!") they had to quickly pump something out that would hook series fans. No better way to do that than to copy what came before. I just wish they'd been able to do something new. I still vividly remember how wowed I was the first time I saw an SSX game on PS2. Such a mind-blowing experience. And, man, the hours upon hours I put into Tricky... Love that game as much as I love Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 & 3. I just think it sucks that when they finally get around to making a current gen SSX game, it doesn't have that same wow factor.

Anyway, lowered expectations are the mother of big surprises. Here's hoping.

post #75 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "Deadly Descents" are new. The online is (radically) new (autolog, ghosts, etc). The tracks are all new, and there are far more of them than in previous games. The wingsuit is new. The physics engine is new... you can ride on pretty much anything, unlike in the past. The graphics engine is new. That's a decent amount of "new" by my way of thinking.

The game is a next-gen update, so yeah, it's going to have a lot of similarities. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater when you're creating a new version of a beloved franchise.

Honestly, if you're bored playing SSX, you're not the target audience.

Just my $0.02.
post #76 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Seems a waste to me. I'm a huge fan of the old games. I play a lot of games. I spend liberally on them. Seems to me like I'm the ideal audience.

post #77 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Outracing an avalanche is far from new to snowboarding games. Last gen's 1080 Avalanche for Gamecube was built around that exact concept. And, yeah, I watched most of the Giant Bomb vid; that's exactly when I got that feeling of "Yup. Looks exactly like SSX."

My sense is that when they first announced a new SSX and received a lot of backlash (because it went for the "Xtreme Dude-Bro Throwdown Max!") they had to quickly pump something out that would hook series fans. No better way to do that than to copy what came before. I just wish they'd been able to do something new. I still vividly remember how wowed I was the first time I saw an SSX game on PS2. Such a mind-blowing experience. And, man, the hours upon hours I put into Tricky... Love that game as much as I love Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 & 3. I just think it sucks that when they finally get around to making a current gen SSX game, it doesn't have that same wow factor.

Anyway, lowered expectations are the mother of big surprises. Here's hoping.

The Deadly Descents aspect is completely new to SSX. The online component which makes up the majority of the game is also new. Yes it is the same core gameplay, but that is what the fans wanted. In general, most people simply wanted an updated SSX worthy of this generation of technology and that is what we are getting for the most part. Better graphics, much better physics, no invisible walls like in past games, faster gameplay, a fantastic online component, the rewind feature, etc.......... If they were to make the type of game that you are suggesting, why even call it SSX? This is SSX for this generation and it looks freakin amazing if you ask me!

Quote:

Seems a waste to me. I'm a huge fan of the old games. I play a lot of games. I spend liberally on them. Seems to me like I'm the ideal audience.

I would say SSX has run its course (no pun intended) with you then which there is nothing wrong with

post #78 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just watched the vids. Am I the only one who thinks this looks too much like the old SSX games?

You are probably not the only one, but you are in the extreme minority. What has been SO cool about watching this game develop over the last year is how much input the fans have had and the changes/tweaks that have come from that. From the characters to certain game play elements, the fans have had a big part in how this game has progressed. Todd Batty (creative director behind the game) has commented several times that the team reads the comments on merqurycity.com, facebook, the forum at the official site, etc.....and takes this feedback into consideration.......how awesome is that?

Bottom line is that in general, this IS the game that most fans have wanted. Of course they cant put every little thing that everyone wants, but in general the SSX fans are extremely excited with the game that is about to hit from everything we have seen and know at this point. Personally, I have never been this excited for a game before and cant believe after all these years we are only 1 month away from release!

Quote:

The "Deadly Descents" are new. The online is (radically) new (autolog, ghosts, etc). The tracks are all new, and there are far more of them than in previous games. The wingsuit is new. The physics engine is new... you can ride on pretty much anything, unlike in the past. The graphics engine is new. That's a decent amount of "new" by my way of thinking.

The game is a next-gen update, so yeah, it's going to have a lot of similarities. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater when you're creating a new version of a beloved franchise.

Just my $0.02.

Exactly.

post #79 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Personally, I liked Coolboarders better.

It had the "hold down 4 buttons at once to pull off a trick" much like the Tony Hawk games.
post #80 of 235 Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I liked that SSX and NBA Street controlled very similarly, different combos of the shoulder buttons did different tricks/dunks.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #81 of 235 Old 02-10-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9693

post #82 of 235 Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm sort of bummed that there's apparently no split-screen. I like to play games like this with my kids, and they like to play each other and friends. It just went from a pre-order to a maybe when the price comes down... Dang. Why do they have to mess up a game like that. Gamers do still have friends, or at least family We know people, dammit, really!

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #83 of 235 Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I'm sort of bummed that there's apparently no split-screen. I like to play games like this with my kids, and they like to play each other and friends. It just went from a pre-order to a maybe when the price comes down... Dang. Why do they have to mess up a game like that. Gamers do still have friends, or at least family We know people, dammit, really!

It is unfortunate since a lot of people wanted this (I am not one of them). Apparently split screen is a resource hog from what Todd Batty has said in interviews when asked why it was taken out. It was a tough call, but they felt online was/is where its at nowadays which is true in general. Personally I am glad they did not waste the resources on it, but I know a lot of people are not happy about it which is understandable as well.

The good news is they have hinted at a possibility of splitscreen being released for DLC at some point or maybe in the sequel if this one is successful enough. There is still hope for those who want this

My biggest DLC wishes are to improve the online multiplayer experience when it comes to playing against friends/strangers since it is a bit clunky right now as far as actual head to head racing where everyone starts at the same time, and a Free Ride mode.

Overall though, I have not been more excited for a game in years as I am for this one! Should be awesome HT fun as well.

post #84 of 235 Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Demo coming next Tuesday: http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9730.

Can't wait!
post #85 of 235 Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Extensive more detailed look at Global Events video released yesterday.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZSB...layer_embedded

This game is going to be amazing!

post #86 of 235 Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Demo details........

Includes:
- skyboarding tutorial
- ground tutorial
- Track: JT2
- Track: Bulldog
- RiderNet enabled
- Play as Zoe
- Mac is earnable by recommending the demo to someone else.

Xbox (Worldwide) & PSN (America Only) - 21st
PSN (Europe, rest of world) - 22nd

post #87 of 235 Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Eddie will be unlockable in the game so you dont have to preorder to get him.

so it's an early unlock bonus? i can live with that.

500 gigs FTL.
post #88 of 235 Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Demo is out on 360. Usually I don't mind waiting until later in the day for the store update but it's been more than eight years since the last real SSX game and I am finding myself very impatient

So, Sony will of course update the store later than usual today... right?
post #89 of 235 Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Demo is out on 360. Usually I don't mind waiting until later in the day for the store update but it's been more than eight years since the last real SSX game and I am finding myself very impatient

I'm working late just to make sure I can get it by the time I'm home

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #90 of 235 Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

With big stuff coming to the store for both the PS Vita and PS3, I think Sony is making sure their servers will be strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page