post #151 of 235 Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasal View Post

yea that is neat feature getting money when loggin in from times / and ghost runs.

the global events are fun to pay to enter and try to earn some extra money, love some runs - hate some others.. lol

add me if you want some easy credits lol

Yeah, need to work my way through friends of friends and get more people. Only at 2 right now and then PSN was down yesterday afternoon. Did give me some time to actually play on my own instead of chasing someone

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 235 Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sent out some friend requests to those who's PSN IDs I could garner here. Message read avs ssx.

If I missed anyone, feel free to send me a similar invite.

I got my copy Friday from Amazon and have been getting started on the Deadly Descents. Fun but frustrating stuff. I'm more of a trick than a race guy so remembering not to ollie all the time has been hard.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but need some more folks in my friends list who play.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #153 of 235 Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Sent out some friend requests to those who's PSN IDs I could garner here. Message read avs ssx.

If I missed anyone, feel free to send me a similar invite.

I got my copy Friday from Amazon and have been getting started on the Deadly Descents. Fun but frustrating stuff. I'm more of a trick than a race guy so remembering not to ollie all the time has been hard.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but need some more folks in my friends list who play.

My race method = tricky into nose press + boost all the way down and find all the straight rails I can.

Yeah, I can't turn as great and technically I could go faster with the full board down but then I have to rebuild boost when I forget I ended the trick

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #154 of 235 Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

My race method = tricky into nose press + boost all the way down and find all the straight rails I can.

Yeah, I can't turn as great and technically I could go faster with the full board down but then I have to rebuild boost when I forget I ended the trick

That's tough to do with the classic control. Boost with square and pushing right stick forward at the same time is tricky. Same with boosting while gridining though that is a bit easier.

I'm thinking that the standard control might be the way to go for racing. I don't think I have the desire to learn it for trick runs though. I have always loved the classic control, loved NBA Street because it controlled the exact same way.

post #155 of 235 Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's tough to do with the classic control. Boost with square and pushing right stick forward at the same time is tricky. Same with boosting while gridining though that is a bit easier.

I'm thinking that the standard control might be the way to go for racing. I don't think I have the desire to learn it for trick runs though. I have always loved the classic control, loved NBA Street because it controlled the exact same way.

Ummm...I'm all classic.

You should see the hand gymnastics I perform with this game. It's what I learned way back in 2000 and what I continue to do now. Thumb to hold the stick forward, index finger brought down to press square, sometimes bringing the middle finger down to press triangle to grind on a non-standard object/jump off a grind before it launches me in to the air.

There's a reason this game makes me feel like I have arthritis

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #156 of 235 Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Ummm...I'm all classic.

You should see the hand gymnastics I perform with this game. It's what I learned way back in 2000 and what I continue to do now. Thumb to hold the stick forward, index finger brought down to press square, sometimes bringing the middle finger down to press triangle to grind on a non-standard object/jump off a grind before it launches me in to the air.

There's a reason this game makes me feel like I have arthritis

I know the feeling. Before the demo for this came out my PS3 had been pretty idle. My controller muscles were out of shape. Especially for a game like this that uses every button during every sequence. Sore hands.

Really loving the ridernet and global events more and more, especially now that I've added a few of you guys. Spent some time trying to best a few of your trick scores last night Chris.

Entered a global event on one of the Himalayas courses last night. 30 minutes to go, I hit a silver score in my first run so put my head down, thinking I can get at the platinum. The diamond was way out of my league at something like 39mil, Platinum was at 18mil and I had just hit 11mil on my first go. Couple of runs later and under 10mins to play and I hit 19.5mil and look to collect 450k in payout. Nope, some one snaked me at the end with 19.6 and I slipped to gold. I think it is really great way to work multiplayer for something like this.

post #157 of 235 Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got a feeling this will be the game I play the longest as there are the constant carrots of other people's scores.

FYI, Whiteout survival after your pulse goggles die is brutal

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #158 of 235 Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I finished the ssx story events last night. I think that's the global events? Anyway, finished all of them but could not get the win in the grudge match. Really like setting my own playlists of my own songs for different event types.

Add me to PSN if you want. I'm brakel on the PSN.

PSN brakel

post #159 of 235 Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

I finished the ssx story events last night. I think that's the global events? Anyway, finished all of them but could not get the win in the grudge match. Really like setting my own playlists of my own songs for different event types.

Add me to PSN if you want. I'm brakel on the PSN.

I meant that I finished World Tour except for the grudge match.

PSN brakel

post #160 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
What is the verdict on SSX? The demo was fun, but $50+ with such a backlog

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #161 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

It's my second favorite in the series behind SSX 3. Very worthy entry. Great competition against your friend list and the rest of the world, good variety of environments and event types. But no split-screen and no option to directly race or trick against others online (though you can always go against your friends' ghost runs).

I think the full game has a lot more to offer than the demo would suggest.

- Jer
post #162 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

Honestly, this might be the most addicting game I have ever played. For me, this tops even the mighty SSX3 overall since the game has blossomed is ways that 3 did not. The diversity as far as the track design is amazing and the new additions that things like the wing suite and some of the DD bring to the table is a nice change of pace when you need a break from the normal trick/race. The sense of speed is intense. The physics once you adjust to it make the old games feel constricted now. The multiplayer is brilliant overall. Best game I have played in a few years overall without question.

I will say though that the game rewards those who put effort into getting better as far as learning the tracks which is a MUST with some of the more extreme ones. Some of these tracks such as "One Step Ahead" might seem a bit overwhelming as far as difficulty at first, but if you put in the time to get better at it/them, you will see the beauty in these courses vs the laid back courses such as Bulldog.

Not trying to make the game out to be perfect since no game is, but overall I have not had this much fun with a game in my HT in a LONG time. I have dropped well over 40 hours into the game since it came out and have only hit about 40 of the 153 drops in Explore and have not even ventured into Global Events yet.

The intensity is just crazy at times. I cant think of another game where my hands are literally sweating and I am even shaking a bit. A great example of this is the track Sentenel in the Alps which is like a warm up version of One Step Ahead. I played this track for about 2 straight hours yesterday trying to hit it just right and get the best line to get gold and then I finally did it and it felt SO good. My hands were sweating, I had my own music going (this feature is AWESOME!) and playing at nearly 100" on my FP screen I was literally shaking a bit as stupid as that may sound, lol. This game can be SUPER intense!

Amazing game and overall, best SSX to date IMHO!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #163 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that it is super fun. I have barely scratched the surface as to what the game has to offer but as Toe said, it is intense and rewarding if you put in the time.

I'm a trick more than a race guy and have had a blast trying to beat scores set by others here.

The global events format is awesome for online multiplayer. Joining an event costs credits that you earn in multiple ways. A 30 minute contest that runs again and again might cost 20,000 credits. If there are 10 entries the 200,000 credits are dished out to the winners. A big 3 day event might cost 500,000 credits, have a prize pool in the billions. Play the course over and over again setting higher and higher scores in an attempt to collect. I set a gold score on one with 17 hours still to go. I logged out and then the next evening when I logged on I got a nice message saying my score held up and I won 1.7million credits.

I was a huge fan of the previous SSX titles, so obviously the game was built for me to love. I just didn't realize how much I missed playing. I probably spent 15-20 hours on the demo. When I finally got my real copy from Amazon the Friday after release, I was a bit overwhelmed. So much stuff to do and see and try. Now that I've found a rhythm for how the game works I am just sitting back and getting arthritis from white-knuckling trick sessions every night after the kids go to bed.

The custom music is awesome too. Never really used it in other games too much so I never bothered putting too much music on my PS3 hard drive. Each day before going in to SSX I've been taking a few minutes to pull a few more songs from my music server and add them to my "Tricky Tracks" playlist.

post #164 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

We're going to need to have an AVS PS3 custom event at some point.

post #165 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I moved a bunch of music on to my PS3 yesterday to enjoy some custom tracks...the same dubstep over and over in the game gets old.

Also, I'm really enjoying survival events. Almost got the medal for no equipment, no rewinds with 4 trips but screwed up at 3.5

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #166 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
i expected this to be 40 dollars already. ugh. maybe next week. it's definitely one of those game though, i just know it. not saying it isn't good.

500 gigs FTW.
post #167 of 235 Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

The Travis Rice code is available on FB. His sig trick is awesome!

post #168 of 235 Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone having ridernet issues? I can not get connected. It doesn't time out either so the only way to play is to sign out of PSN before starting the game.

post #169 of 235 Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Anyone having ridernet issues? I can not get connected.

I wasn't having problems earlier today (5-6 hours ago). Unfortunately I probably am not going to be able to play until maybe tomorrow so I can't check now.
Quote:

t doesn't time out either so the only way to play is to sign out of PSN before starting the game.

Well that is super annoying...
post #170 of 235 Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

This will either make you want to quit playing, or play more..... Anyone who has played "One Step Ahead" knows it is probably the hardest track in the game. Here is a vid of Leroy hitting 22mil on it.......this guy truly does have serious skills at this game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQXi...layer_embedded

post #171 of 235 Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the game but seriously suck. Add me for easy competition.

post #172 of 235 Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Found a workaround for my ridernet connection issue. What a major pain. Again, any time I'm logged in to PSN and boot up the game it hangs at the connecting to ridernet message.

So, some google searches and some tries with the various methods, I found one that worked for me to get logged in.

Load game logged out of PSN. Do not log in when prompted.
Play a World Tour event.
Hit PS button and log in to PSN
When finished with the World Tour event it will attempt to connect to ridernet to upload scores and connect.

EA needs to get this worked out as this just isn't an acceptable way to play.

Seems like it could be a corrupted save file causing the issue from the posts out there in other forums. Also seems like a really widespread issue.

post #173 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any pointers?

I tend to button mash tricks on every jumps and hope to hit any rail/grind I find. I rarely get to tricky mode and my scores are pathetic. Is it just a matter of learning the course or is it more about how you string combos together?

I guess I need some method to my madness to get more points in trick mode.

post #174 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone have any pointers?

I tend to button mash tricks on every jumps and hope to hit any rail/grind I find. I rarely get to tricky mode and my scores are pathetic. Is it just a matter of learning the course or is it more about how you string combos together?

I guess I need some method to my madness to get more points in trick mode.

Make sure to tweak every jump (square in classic control) and pre-load your spin/flip to rotate faster (pressing d-pad directions and hold X for higher jumps).

When trying to string together a high scoring run, I try to get in to tricky as fast as possible and get the multiplier up to 20 ASAP. A couple of small trick and then hitting the first big jump with a tweaked multi-flip grab will usually kick off tricky.

I use classic control, to avoid duplicate tricks I try to remember to go in rotation for small jumps, first jump L1-L2, 2nd jump R1-R2, 3rd L1, 4th R1. then use the higher scoring grabs of L1-R2 and L2-R1 for the big airs. I am getting better at that.

Grinds at the start of a course are a great way to get the multiplier up. On a long rail hold each grind for about a second, then start another, string them together and the multiplier will go up, if it doesn't you're not holding it long enough. Make sure you're spinning too, as this increases the grind score dramatically. Do NOT turbo on grinds, it just makes the amount of spins you can do fewer as you travel the rail distance in less time.

Learning the courses and where to find additional places for big air is important. Not always hitting the arrow indicated jumps head on is one thing to do, hitting them at strange angles to go more straight up will give you a chance to hit more of them on your run. Areas that look like a half-pipe are a gold mine. Rather than going through them quickly to get to the arrowed jump at the end, go back and forth half-pipe style through it, turbo up the side of the wall, jump, spin, land going toward the other side, rinse and repeat. You can get a ton more tricks in and fairly decent sized ones too.

The 20x multiplier is really the key though. Each trick is worth that much more and the more you do, the more you score. Hitting the helicopter with 20x multiplier score 800,000 points for example.

I've heard because flips count more than spins and that spinning slows the rate in which you can flip that if you are really trying to score the max that you should only flip. I can't bring myself to do that as it looks so much cooler to spin and flip at the same time.

post #175 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Great tips, and I would add a few more as well:

- unlike in past games, spamming tricks in a single jump is NOT a good idea. hold a single trick as long as you can instead. don't change your spin direction as you'll just slow down and you won't spin as much, pick a single direction and spin with it.

- if you get a duplicate trick, REWIND. there is basically no penalty for doing so (as long as you didn't crash) and a dup trick is really gutted as far as scoring goes.

- don't limit yourself to the obviously marked kickers. often the best jumps come off the sides of the track.

- keep your combo going by doing tail/nose presses (can't recall the buttons offhand, in Standard it is the face buttons minus x which is jump) or (better but riskier) doing flips. make sure you do not cash out your combo until you have at least 20 tricks registered (this is not the same has having a 20x flow multiplier). keeping a combo longer than 20 will net you more points but it is apparently not a huge deal, it's probably better to cash out frequently when you get that high to minimize the penalty for wiping out unless you're a lot better at this game than I am. if you are doing things right you should basically never leave tricky except when you cash out a combo.

- your flow multiplier will go down if you stay too long in one section of the track. try to proceed down the track at a not too fast not too slow rate, that will give you a good combination of getting out a lot of tricks without bringing your flow multiplier down. don't start cashing out your combo until your flow multiplier is 20x.

In the past games I sucked at tricks and focused on racing. I would not claim to be great at trick events but I have had a lot more fun with them in this game than previous iterations and even have a few top runs on my own personal friend leaderboard.
post #176 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow good stuff. I think I tend to rush down the mountain in trick mode for no good reason. I didn't even know about tail/nose presses. Thanks guys.

post #177 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

The Seldom_Seen SSX workout.

Requirements: SSX and a cardio machine you can use while playing. I have a recumbent bike.

Enter a global event (I prefer trick events, though you could modify for racing I'm sure). Start to ride at a warm up pace. Start your SSX run.

Complete the run at your warm up pace to set a baseline score. Sprint during the restart.

Now, as the next run starts, slow to a medium pace. Add bursts of speed where you can, I find it is easy to go faster while in the air or grinding.

Restart after any wipeout/loss of combo/major error. Sprint until the run restarts.

When you complete a run and hopefully set a new personal best, do some lifting/strength work. Your heart rate should be nice and high at this point. Simple stuff with no equipment would be some type of crunches/sit ups and some push ups. Mix in whatever you like. A set of bench presses 50 bicycle crunches and a set of squats is a typical group that I do.

Then back on the bike. Sprint until restart and then repeat the above.

In about 45 minutes you can do 3 or 4 sets. As a reward for the hard work I do a couple of extra runs with no exercise to cool down. The game gets a bit easier when you take out the riding so may make a high score.

I set a platinum score on a Serenity Global Event during my lunch hour just now and still had time to grab a quick shower before returning to work (working from home is the BEST!)

post #178 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW what is cashing out a combo?

post #179 of 235 Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

BTW what is cashing out a combo?

If you stop doing tricks for a bit, the cumulative combo bonus in the lower left will be modified by your multiplier and added to your total, and the combo bonus will reset to zero. The multiplier will stay the same. This is "cashing out", since bailing would make you lose the entire combo bonus, while banking the points guarantees you'll keep them.

- Jer
post #180 of 235 Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Man, last night was rough. I gave several of my friends a lot of ghost victories . The worst was when I finished an epic run on a race I was in 5th on my leaderboard at the time, but just ran out of boost at the end. Finished with a 1:56.06 and the leader (you know who you are ) I knew had a 1:56:?? so I figured I had vaulted all of the way into 1st place... but he had a 1:56.03 aaaaaaargh.

I need to learn when to stop throwing good money (time) after bad. I have had several times where pretty quickly on a course I had an epic run but at some point late in the run slightly goofed and missed a major line opportunity, or did one of those "land and go sideways and do 360s perpendicular to the direction of the course" moments. I then would spend 1/2 hour trying to recreate that run and finish it but failing miserably. Not fun.

There are enough drops I still haven't played, I need to stop earlier and just try something else for a while, then maybe come back later.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page