PS3 slim is having trouble loading certain Blu-ray movie discs - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ryan, since you own specific BDs that you're having this issue with, have you considered reporting this to Sony?

It's hard for me to report because all my BDs are Netflix rentals and it'll be easy for Sony to just write it off as "oh that's a scratched or damaged rental disc". You on the other hand have brand new BDs that you own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Have you tried washing the disc with warm water and dish soap (something I learned from my HD DVD days)? I haven't had any problems with blu ray discs, but it's worked with problematic dvds.
post #33 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Have you tried washing the disc with warm water and dish soap (something I learned from my HD DVD days)? I haven't had any problems with blu ray discs, but it's worked with problematic dvds.

I haven't since they're brand new discs.
post #34 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
No, I haven't really thought about contact Sony.

I think I will though. Do you happen to know the best email address to contact them?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #35 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

I really do not think it is signs of the laser failing. A laser failing would mean that it would behave like this for all titles including games. This happens only on a small percentage of BDs so I think it's more that there's some spec in certain BDs that doesn't agree with the PS3. If you look over the details of folks who have this problem, I think that's very clear.

For me this happened when my PS3 wasn't even a couple of months old with the Bourne Ultimatum disc.

...not necessarily! The problems can start with various movie discs (able to read them, but hits an unrecoverable glitch at some point during the movie), while seemingly works fine for game discs. Then it becomes increasingly worse until it won't read anything, at all, let alone do the initial disc mount so you can see it in the xmb.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #36 of 59 Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Aren't the vast majority of games single-layered discs? Does FFXIII play okay?
post #37 of 59 Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that game played without any issue. How do I tell if a game or movie is dual layer?
post #38 of 59 Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

As odd as it may sound, I have had luck wiping WD40 on the disc surface .. it has made discs that normally would not play past a certain point work flawlessly ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #39 of 59 Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As odd as it may sound, I have had luck wiping WD40 on the disc surface .. it has made discs that normally would not play past a certain point work flawlessly ..

Aren't you worried about WD slime getting inside the disc drive mechanics?
post #40 of 59 Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

Aren't you worried about WD slime getting inside the disc drive mechanics?

It's a very, very thin coat .. and since I use it rarely, I believe it's very doubtful that the drive will spin off enough to harm anything ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #41 of 59 Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm sorry for re-hashing an old thread, but I recently hit this same problem and was wondering if anyone on this thread (or anyone else) has also had this problem and was able to do anything about it?

I've had my PS3 (fat system, 40gig) for a couple years now, and haven't had any problems. I've also used Netflix for even longer, switched to blu-ray once I got the PS3, but have had no problems. Then just within the past month or so I've gotten "bad disc" after "bad disc." I quote "bad disc" because I at first thought it was the disc's fault, but am now starting to think it's something else. I send the discs back to Netflix, reporting it was a bad disc, but sometimes the next disc works, sometimes it doesn't.

Each time it's the same thing. I put the disc in, the PS3 clock at the top right spins, it loads... loads... then just decides it's tried enough and stops. Nothing appears under in XMB. It's just like I didn't insert the disc. I usually send them back, but recently I've started ejecting and trying again, and sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Throughout it all I've been playing games as well, and *never* had any problems there. Usually I have a game disc in at all times, and when I get a new Netflix movie I'll eject the game disc to watch the movie disc. And only recently the movies don't load...

I, like others, don't think it's a laser issue because my game discs that I'm using at the same time never have issues. Also, when I get a blu-ray Netflix problem, I put in a DVD (not blu-ray) and it loads just fine. I don't own a blu-ray movie so I'm not sure how those play here. I even called Netflix and asked them if this was something they've seen/heard about recently. They hadn't, but are of course awesome and sent me an extra movie just because I had an issue.

So what did you guys end up doing to get around this problem? Do other blu-ray players perform better or is this really a rental disc issue?
post #42 of 59 Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Since I don't buy retail bd movies, it's hard to tell if the issue is with Netflix discs and that little white label around the spindle or whether it is some other issue. As of the last time I posted here, I have not run into this issue and I'm renting at least one disc a week. It happens rarely enough that I just decided to let it go.
post #43 of 59 Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 AM

My 120 GB Slim...........
BLU-RAY Games - No problems
DVD - No problems
CD - No problems
BLU-RAY Films - Not interested! It used to like them but it's all over know!

Seems to be a problem with the 120gb slim????
post #44 of 59 Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanb450 View Post

I recently discovered this problem with my 120gb Slim...only one movie so far. "Zach and Miri" stops at a pink loading screen. Thinking it really was loading, I waited for 10 minutes before I gave up. I tried again four or five times before giving up completely. I purchased the BluRay new from ))Mart for $8.

I had the exact same problem! What's the deal? It's the only movie I have ever had an issue with playing on my PS3 and I know I have watched it at least once but now, same thing, pink loading screen for eternity. I must have hit "stop" and "Play" about twenty times hoping it would play. And, it plays fine in my other (Samsung) blu ray player. What gives?
post #45 of 59 Old 07-19-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Recently got Megamind BD from netflix. Put it in last night and it wouldn't play. I took it out and put it back in several times...no dice. It's going back to Netflix and I'm having them send me another to see if it works. The disc itself appears flawless...no scratches or anything. I don't know what the issue is, but most of the ones I've had an issue with have been Disney BDs.

Update: After getting a replacement disc from Netflix, everything was fine and it played w/o issue. So I guess it was the disc that was bad and not the PS3. Someone in the Netflix BD Rental thread mentioned that they too occasionally had BDs from Netflix that looked flawless, but didn't play and that the replacements always worked fine.
post #46 of 59 Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM

I have had the same issue with my 120gb slim. It started with just movies both brand new and older ones and eventually my games would not play. I can't get any disc game or movie to load in my slim. I insert the disc it sounds as if it is going to load and then I hear the noise asif it was going to eject but nothing happens. All of the games that I tried were games bought new by me no rented or used games were tried.

If anyone has had some success figuring out how to correct this issue I would appreciate the help. Luckily I have another PS3 to use for gaming but my slim has been delegated to nothing more than PSN games and media server.
post #47 of 59 Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 AM

I have the exact same problem with my slim 120GB. (plays games and dvd perfectly and doesn't recognize BD movies.) Last night i'd thought i'll give it a few more tries before picking up a standalone BD player. I messed around with it for good 15 mins or so before i tried this:

1: Turn on PS3
2: Make sure no disk is in the drive.
3: Get ready for this... lift up the right side of your PS3 to about 45 degree angle so it's almost standing up vertically.
4: While holding your PS3 in this angled position, insert BD movie and it should sound different and reading the BD!
5: Gently lower the right side back to its horizontal position and you should be good for the rest of the day... until you turn off your PS3. Repeat these steps when you turn on your PS3 again.

Hope this helps those who still have this same problem.
post #48 of 59 Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow...that sounds just bizarre!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #49 of 59 Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_01 View Post

I have the exact same problem with my slim 120GB. (plays games and dvd perfectly and doesn't recognize BD movies.) Last night i'd thought i'll give it a few more tries before picking up a standalone BD player. I messed around with it for good 15 mins or so before i tried this:

3: Get ready for this... lift up the right side of your PS3 to about 45 degree angle so it's almost standing up vertically.
4: While holding your PS3 in this angled position, insert BD movie and it should sound different and reading the BD!
5: Gently lower the right side back to its horizontal position and you should be good for the rest of the day... until you turn off your PS3. Repeat these steps when you turn on your PS3 again.

Thanks for the tip. For me the issue was with certain BDs and when asked Netflix to swap it out, the replacement worked, but I'll try your trick next time.
post #50 of 59 Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Maybe I have the same problem with my Slim bought in Dec 2009, had this problem only with Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 2 games and The Day Ater Tomorrow BD movie, with games doesn´t load them, freezes image during loading and that´s it.

With the movie happens what discribed above, in a very precise moment of the movie starts doing it, skipping the images until it stops doing it almost when the movie ends.

Performed the FAN TEST in my PS3, and after that, Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 2 handn´t done that again, and The Day After Tomorrow movie skips for a shorter time.

Maybe ist´s a dust on the laser problem.
post #51 of 59 Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Last year, I had about 3 or 4 discs from Netflix that would not load on my 160GB slim as the OP described.

I received the movie Puncture last week and it didn't load. I used a DVD cleaning kit on it to no avail. I tried it on my 60GB phat and it didn't work. 5 minutes later, I wiped the disc with my shirt and tried again on my phat...and it worked.

Perhaps the fat PS3s are less finicky than the slim PS3s
post #52 of 59 Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Hi guys, I have a 120gb Ps3 slim, and I can say with certainty (as we are about to replace ours for this very reason) that it probably is the Blu-Ray laser failing. Ours began with only having trouble playing a select few BR discs, and only rarely, and after putting it back in consistently, it would eventually play it. Then after a while, it started having problems with playing more BR titles, all the while still playing games perfectly. The problem increased slightly more, but we were still able to play BR discs eventually, and again, games still played without a single hitch. Finally, one night while watching a BR movie, it froze, and I ejected the disk and put it back in, thinking the disk had caused the freeze, but it would not load. After that, it would not load BR anything, not even games. We took it in to a service centre, they checked it and said it was the Blu-Ray laser that had died, and that we had to either replace it or get a new PS3. So, I had all the same problems as most of you, and in the end it WAS the Blu-Ray laser, despite still playing games perfectly till the bitter end
post #53 of 59 Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if it's just the 120 GB Slim that has this problem.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #54 of 59 Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Are you messin' with me? Seriously? I am SO going to try this cause my 120gb slim simply won't play BR disks at all. Period.

I've since just bought a standalone BR disk player (I didn't wanna f7%$k with sending in my PS3, etc), but I would LOVE to try this! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_01 View Post

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #55 of 59 Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
No luck, by the way.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #56 of 59 Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM

I'm having the same issue. I have notice that the PS3 will start reading blu-ray once it has warmed up. So if i use nextflix for 5 to 10 mn then I will be able to read the Blu-ray movie or video game. I'm still searching for what is the origin of this problem. My guess would be that some of the components needs to warm up and would need to be replaced.
post #57 of 59 Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmike View Post

I'm having the same issue. I have notice that the PS3 will start reading blu-ray once it has warmed up. So if i use nextflix for 5 to 10 mn then I will be able to read the Blu-ray movie or video game. I'm still searching for what is the origin of this problem. My guess would be that some of the components needs to warm up and would need to be replaced.

The issue you're describing doesn't sound like the one we were having. It was only certain movies that the PS3 would have trouble playing. It never happened to me on video games and honestly, it hasn't happened to me in a long, long time since I described the issue here.
post #58 of 59 Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That happens to me but the opposite, for the first hour o so of watching a random BD movie without problems, then it starts to skip the image, until completelly losing the image, that happens only some times, not always, and the PS3 has to be more than 1 hour of working, no problems with disc games.rolleyes.gif
post #59 of 59 Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I had problems similar to what you are talking about. DVDs played just fine, some games and BDs would not load. Eventually BDs wouldn't load at all, or would appear to be loading but would be very slow. For $30 in parts and shipping, I put a new mech in mine, and it's been fine ever since.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page