Sony trade in Fat for Slim program? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Want to Trade Fat for a Slim?
Yep 0 0%
Nope 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 145 Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 40gb Fatty just got the YLOD a few weeks ago and sent mine in right away. Had to deal with their pain in the ass "signature required" to receive my replacement unit, which only took a week to get back amazingly. Ended up with another Fatty unfortunetely and paid $99. Thing still sounds like a jet engine when playing some games and both ends of my entertainment center are open. UGH!!

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

That's a good report, but unfortunately is limited to the first 2 years of the system's life, which is just barely touching the time frame I suggested. I think if the report was moire like the first 4 or 5 years of the system it'd be a much higher percentage of PS3, and much more in line with what I've suggested. Although I do still believe 360 will still have a higher failure rate in that time period.

And to those making fun of the oven method. Have you done your research? While it sounds strange, it's actually one of the generally accepted methods of fixing a YLOD, if you can't afford other more expensive methods, as it's nearly free to do. Watch some videos on youtube about it.

I have to hand it to you...as you butt heads with some posters who are in some serious denial (imo). I find your 2-3 estimated lifespan for ps3 reasonably accurate. The laser went out on my 80 GB phat right around 2.5 yrs, I believe. That is just ridiculously short for my tastes. If it is indeed a small number of ps3's that go out like this, then it should be no skin off of Sony's nose to just repair it for a small fee, instead of gaming unfortunate owners for another $175 (or whatever they charge, these days).

While I feel that expectations for a console to reasonably live 10 yrs may be a bit much (though, I'd certainly like it to be so, too), I'd think we should at least expect to get a reasonable 5 yrs out of a console as a reasonable lifespan. I don't feel Sony has particularly done much justice to this in the ps3 generation.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #123 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #124 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I have to hand it to you...as you butt heads with some posters who are in some serious denial (imo). I find your 2-3 estimated lifespan for ps3 reasonably accurate. The laser went out on my 80 GB phat right around 2.5 yrs, I believe. That is just ridiculously short for my tastes. If it is indeed a small number of ps3's that go out like this, then it should be no skin off of Sony's nose to just repair it for a small fee, instead of gaming unfortunate owners for another $175 (or whatever they charge, these days).

While I feel that expectations for a console to reasonably live 10 yrs may be a bit much (though, I'd certainly like it to be so, too), I'd think we should at least expect to get a reasonable 5 yrs out of a console as a reasonable lifespan. I don't feel Sony has particularly done much justice to this in the ps3 generation.

I suppose 5 years is fair considering the amount of tech that's in these machines, but then what, next gen expected life would be 2.5 years and then the next 1.25. I mean, I'm all for improving the tech, but only if you can do so and keep the life expectancy high. Imo, if you're going to keep making games for a console for 10 years, it should be able to survive that entire period, at least for the average user.
post #125 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Slippery slope argument already? Pretty soon, our console will last a day! Finally! Disposable Consoles!
post #126 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree that Sony (et al) is falling down that slippery slope where increasingly shorter hardware lifespans seem to be acceptable. When I gave the "5 yr" figure, earlier, it was not to be part of a progressive series, though. I mean, 5 yrs, period, any console, any generation. If it lasts longer, that's great. If it lasts 10 yrs, you definitely got your money's worth...but if most units in the field aren't easily making that 5 yr mark, something is "wrong", imo.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #127 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I agree that Sony (et al) is falling down that slippery slope where increasingly shorter hardware lifespans seem to be acceptable. When I gave the "5 yr" figure, earlier, it was not to be part of a progressive series, though. I mean, 5 yrs, period, any console, any generation. If it lasts longer, that's great. If it lasts 10 yrs, you definitely got your money's worth...but if most units in the field aren't easily making that 5 yr mark, something is "wrong", imo.

yeah I agree.
post #128 of 145 Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

There's that word "most," again.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #129 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM

I'm on 4 years now with my 60gb. I used to roast it pretty good when it was in my entertainment center. Now its on an open tv stand shelf next to my onkyo. The fans aren't as loud anymore but the laser is pretty loud when its tracking during games.
post #130 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateFg2 View Post

I'm on 4 years now with my 60gb. I used to roast it pretty good when it was in my entertainment center. Now its on an open tv stand shelf next to my onkyo. The fans aren't as loud anymore but the laser is pretty loud when its tracking during games.

If u are capable I would suggest taking it apart and blowing it all out with an air compressor and replacing the thermal paste on the CPU, GPU. good preventative maintenance I did it on mine and just found a good pictorial guides on the net to follow

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #131 of 145 Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaint bucket View Post

Slippery slope argument already? Pretty soon, our console will last a day! Finally! Disposable Consoles!

Cloud gaming is gonna be the end result. I got my OnLive Micro console.... it will solve the hacking problem for the console manufacturers too...

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #132 of 145 Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Sony should receive my ps3 tomorrow. How long before they ship out the "new" slim?
post #133 of 145 Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Another datapoint for those interested

Second YLOD on 5 yr old 60 GB launch PS3 after heat gun reflow 2 months ago. Requested repair/trade on website expecting $150 charge. $99 charge for launch PS3 to trade for refurbished 120gb offered. Bummed to possibly get older out of production 120GB 65nm GPU but still better than old launch 90nm GPU.

Ordered online Tuesday AM. Box received Friday at 6pm. Dropped off at Fedex Saturday and it sat there until Monday 7pm but was delivered to Laredo by Tuesday 8am. Got refurbished PS3 Thursday. 9 day turn around including weekend.

Surprised with newest 160GB model CECH-2501A with 45nm GPU. Hopefully no more YLOD for another 5 years.
post #134 of 145 Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Liked: 22
Sadly, as technology gets more and more "micro" and the number of different things our consoles are expected to do continues to increase, the overall lifespan of our consoles is going to keep getting shorter and shorter.

The smaller sizes of our microchips means that if there is a physical flaw or issue with the chip, there's a greater chance it will negatively impact the lifespan or performance of it. When you also have a bunch of different functions that a console is expected to do, there's more things that need to talk with each other in order for the system to work right.

Back in the NES days, you had a couple of controllers, an A/V out, and the game cartridge. That was basically it. There was no complex encryption schemes, no hard drive access/recognition, no networking, no high definition audio/video output, etc. etc. Things were a lot simpler and the technology behind it was fairly simple as well. As a result, the lifespan of those things is comparatively great compared to today.

Right now, our PS3 has to be able to handle the encryption/decryption of the games, audio, video, HDMI stuff, etc. etc. in order to run. It also has to be able to properly communicate with the network, and access the HDD. More tasks to accomplish means more hardware. More encryption/decryption needs means more complex setups where errors aren't tolerated. More work being done means more heat generated by the system and heat is a no-no for the lifespan of our consoles.

In addition, as consumers we want low prices. We don't want to pay through our noses in order to enjoy our consoles. The manufacturers, however, need to make money on the consoles they sell otherwise they will be in the red. To make them more reliable means more expensive manufacturing costs and either a lower profit margin for the company (bad for business), or higher cost for the consumer (bad for consumer). Therefore, companies look for the cheapest way to manufacture things and give them an "acceptable" lifespan.

Yeah, it sucks when our consoles die and I'm not trying to say that we should be happy with it and just carry on. I just think we should at least understand it and make our decisions and future expectations based on this. With console generations changing every 6 or 7 years, a lifespan of 5 years or so is acceptable to the manufacturers. They figure that if someone's console dies, they'll just buy the next generation.

I have two PS3s. One is a fat MGS4 40GB version that I thought was dying (turns out it was my Onkyo Receiver's HDMI4 port that bit the dust), and a slim that I picked up because it was cheap, I had funds I could spend, and figured it couldn't hurt. (Actually looking to sell the MGS4 one since I don't need it anymore, but since it's not Backwards Compatible and I wouldn't sell it with the game included, I doubt I could get anything for it. May just give it to my father so he can watch Blu-Ray movies with it). So I honestly haven't had any PS3 issues since getting my MGS4 One in November of 2008. Only have an issue with my Onkyo's HDMI board so I'm trying to save up to get a new receiver to have on hand if this one fully bites the dust. (Oddly, the only issue is with HDMI4 where the video signal craps out but the audio works fine).
post #135 of 145 Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked: 832
Um, no.
post #136 of 145 Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg View Post

Sadly, as technology gets more and more "micro" and the number of different things our consoles are expected to do continues to increase, the overall lifespan of our consoles is going to keep getting shorter and shorter.

The smaller sizes of our microchips means that if there is a physical flaw or issue with the chip, there's a greater chance it will negatively impact the lifespan or performance of it. When you also have a bunch of different functions that a console is expected to do, there's more things that need to talk with each other in order for the system to work right.

Back in the NES days, you had a couple of controllers, an A/V out, and the game cartridge. That was basically it. There was no complex encryption schemes, no hard drive access/recognition, no networking, no high definition audio/video output, etc. etc. Things were a lot simpler and the technology behind it was fairly simple as well. As a result, the lifespan of those things is comparatively great compared to today.

Right now, our PS3 has to be able to handle the encryption/decryption of the games, audio, video, HDMI stuff, etc. etc. in order to run. It also has to be able to properly communicate with the network, and access the HDD. More tasks to accomplish means more hardware. More encryption/decryption needs means more complex setups where errors aren't tolerated. More work being done means more heat generated by the system and heat is a no-no for the lifespan of our consoles.

In addition, as consumers we want low prices. We don't want to pay through our noses in order to enjoy our consoles. The manufacturers, however, need to make money on the consoles they sell otherwise they will be in the red. To make them more reliable means more expensive manufacturing costs and either a lower profit margin for the company (bad for business), or higher cost for the consumer (bad for consumer). Therefore, companies look for the cheapest way to manufacture things and give them an "acceptable" lifespan.

Yeah, it sucks when our consoles die and I'm not trying to say that we should be happy with it and just carry on. I just think we should at least understand it and make our decisions and future expectations based on this. With console generations changing every 6 or 7 years, a lifespan of 5 years or so is acceptable to the manufacturers. They figure that if someone's console dies, they'll just buy the next generation.

I have two PS3s. One is a fat MGS4 40GB version that I thought was dying (turns out it was my Onkyo Receiver's HDMI4 port that bit the dust), and a slim that I picked up because it was cheap, I had funds I could spend, and figured it couldn't hurt. (Actually looking to sell the MGS4 one since I don't need it anymore, but since it's not Backwards Compatible and I wouldn't sell it with the game included, I doubt I could get anything for it. May just give it to my father so he can watch Blu-Ray movies with it). So I honestly haven't had any PS3 issues since getting my MGS4 One in November of 2008. Only have an issue with my Onkyo's HDMI board so I'm trying to save up to get a new receiver to have on hand if this one fully bites the dust. (Oddly, the only issue is with HDMI4 where the video signal craps out but the audio works fine).

I actually agree with this.
post #137 of 145 Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Can I ask you what you mean by "video signal craps out"? I, too have my PS3 going thru my Onkyo. As of right now I just started to get sparkles and occasional black outs during game play. The XMB works fine which is strange. I took my old phat apart and there was little to no dust and the thermal paste wasnt too bad. blew it out, replaced the paste and I am continuing to have the same issues. I originally thought it was my GPU going but maybe the HDMI port on my Onkyo is to blame. I will check that out tonight. Care to comment with your thoughts?
Luke
post #138 of 145 Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Can I ask you what you mean by "video signal craps out"? I, too have my PS3 going thru my Onkyo. As of right now I just started to get sparkles and occasional black outs during game play. The XMB works fine which is strange. I took my old phat apart and there was little to no dust and the thermal paste wasnt too bad. blew it out, replaced the paste and I am continuing to have the same issues. I originally thought it was my GPU going but maybe the HDMI port on my Onkyo is to blame. I will check that out tonight. Care to comment with your thoughts?
Luke

What happened to me is that I would get pixelation showing up on my TV, then I would have the video freeze up on me while the audio continued on just fine. I would then get a tear in the screen, followed by white "snow". Then, the signal would stop and my TV would show the "No Signal" display. Meanwhile, audio and use of my controller worked just fine.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes it happened within seconds of start-up, sometimes not at all, and sometimes not until a good hour or so into play.
post #139 of 145 Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

What happened to me is that I would get pixelation showing up on my TV, then I would have the video freeze up on me while the audio continued on just fine. I would then get a tear in the screen, followed by white "snow". Then, the signal would stop and my TV would show the "No Signal" display. Meanwhile, audio and use of my controller worked just fine.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes it happened within seconds of start-up, sometimes not at all, and sometimes not until a good hour or so into play.

Just to add. I also have issues with my Onkyo receiver and PS3.

I have an Onkyo 606, before I moved out, it started having signal issues with 720P games.It was clicking on and off searching for signal for 2 to 10 minutes. Only games in native 1080P would work fine.

After I moved, it's now the other way around. 1080i and 1080P signal doesn,t work with the PS3 (but work with the TV 1080i signal without a problem).

It's always the same problem, the screen turns black, then it's searching for signal, get images, drops,search, snow, search etc. Can take up to 15 minutes for it to work. Now I just output everything at 720P and everything is fine. Was worst when only 480 and 1080 worked.

No money to buy a new amp now So I'm stuck in 720P
post #140 of 145 Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Just to add. I also have issues with my Onkyo receiver and PS3.

I have an Onkyo 606, before I moved out, it started having signal issues with 720P games.It was clicking on and off searching for signal for 2 to 10 minutes. Only games in native 1080P would work fine.

After I moved, it's now the other way around. 1080i and 1080P signal doesn,t work with the PS3 (but work with the TV 1080i signal without a problem).

It's always the same problem, the screen turns black, then it's searching for signal, get images, drops,search, snow, search etc. Can take up to 15 minutes for it to work. Now I just output everything at 720P and everything is fine. Was worst when only 480 and 1080 worked.

No money to buy a new amp now So I'm stuck in 720P

Frig, Im going to have to check out my Onkyo. I think it is ding it to my cable now as well. I always thought it was my TWC cable box. Great.
Thanks for the replies.
Luke
post #141 of 145 Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM

60gb launch PS3 still going strong even after a 5ft fall.

Is really loud ever since I put it in an enclosed ent center, but other than that, no problems. Am kinda hoping it dies just to give me a reason to buy a one that isn't so loud.
post #142 of 145 Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Turns out it was my Onkyo receiver all along. Phat hooked directly to my TV worked pefectly as it did day 1. Looks like I will be getting this one fixed or looking for a new receiver sometime soon.
Thanks for the info guys!!!

Luke
post #143 of 145 Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Does that replacement still stand even if you've taken apart the 60Gb console and repaired it yourself?
post #144 of 145 Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM

For that $99 exchange to trade a fat 60Gb for a slim, will they still do the trade even if the consoles warranty is voided?
post #145 of 145 Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I did the swap, my 2006 60Gb for the 160Gb slim, got it today. My 60 Gb was way out of any warranty but as long as i did not break the seal to try to repair that flashing red light and I still had the same HD, they said they'll exchange it. Yeah, I know the new models came out :mad:but I'm playing less games and using it more for movies, so $99 for still one of the top BD players is a steal and it plays games

Audyssey setup guide
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page