Sony trade in Fat for Slim program? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Want to Trade Fat for a Slim?
Yep 0 0%
Nope 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 145 Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Just curious but who'd be interested in something like this. I'd imagine with the ever increasing failure rate of the fat, I'm not the only one wanting to swap for a slim

They could call it the Sony Diet program!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think they already have that program for defective fat consoles.... however I think you gotta pay $99 and send them your old fatty... if it was an even trade then it would be a decent deal... I would trade if no extra cash was required as they already took the Other OS away and now there are enough decent PS3 games out that I am not that concerned with backwards compatibility. On release I bought or had several PS2 titles so it was important to me when i bought it.. the retro games I like are actually PS1 games which are supposed to play on all PS3's

DJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8.5% of the human population
post #3 of 145 Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why would Sony have any interest in trading straight up for an old fat model?

-Suntan
post #4 of 145 Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Unless you're really committed to PS2 backwards compatibility, you may as well sell or trade in your fat PS3 while it's still working. Once it goes kaput, the resale value drops big time.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 145 Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Why would Sony have any interest in trading straight up for an old fat model?

-Suntan

something about running out of spare parts for the fattys. I have seen several posts where people got the option once they sent the old fat in for repair

DJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
if that 99 dollar deal is real, then i kind of hope my 40 gig breaks soon. lol.

500 gigs FTW.
post #7 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

if that 99 dollar deal is real, then i kind of hope my 40 gig breaks soon. lol.

It's real. I just gave Sony my launch 60g (YLOD) plus $99 & got a slim in return.

I'm happy I have an operating PS3 but kind of feel I was just outwitted by a shady used car salesman that got me to trade my shiny Cadillac for a Cavalier & paid him money to boot.
post #8 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

It's real. I just gave Sony my launch 60g (YLOD) plus $99 & got a slim in return.

I'm happy I have an operating PS3 but kind of feel I was just outwitted by a shady used car salesman that got me to trade my shiny Cadillac for a Cavalier & paid him money to boot.

which model are they including with that deal? 120, 160, 250, 320 GB? do they send u a box and pay for return shipping too?

Still I bought my 160GB Slim for $100 on craigslist after selling the included games I didn't want..

DJ

post #9 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Except your shiny Cadillac had a bad engine. You got the better end of that deal, IMO.
post #10 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

How do you do this? Do you email Sony and ship it to them or do it thru the place you bought it like Best Buy. If you ship it then how long does it take for them to send you the new one.
post #11 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Doesn't seem shady to me. If early PS3s are really as prone to YLOD as it now seems, this is a great (and much cheaper) alternative to what Microsoft had to do about RRoD.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #12 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

How do you do this? Do you email Sony and ship it to them or do it thru the place you bought it like Best Buy. If you ship it then how long does it take for them to send you the new one.

I second this question!

psn: ashunte
post #13 of 145 Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Except your shiny Cadillac had a bad engine. You got the better end of that deal, IMO.

Only if they are new slims and not refurbished. Does anyone know for sure?
post #14 of 145 Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashunte23 View Post

I second this question!

When my 60g went YLOD I called Sony's 800 number from the owners manual. They took it from there. The did offer another option involving replacing the phat with another phat but it was more money, ($150?) so I went with the slim. The process was quite quick, maybe 2 weeks total and this was during the week of Christmas and new years. They will ship a box for you to send back your PS3, all shipping prepaid. Once you ship it back and they receive it, it will be another week or so before you get the replacement.

Quote:

Only if they are new slims and not refurbished. Does anyone know for sure?

They told me I would receive a refurbished unit. You would never know though, it looks like new. I see nothing wrong with getting a refurb. BTW, the replacement is a 120g.

Quote:

Doesn't seem shady to me. If early PS3s are really as prone to YLOD as it now seems, this is a great (and much cheaper) alternative to what Microsoft had to do about RRoD.

You're right, shady is a poor choice of word. I'm just not feeling all warm & fuzzy after paying $600 for the original PS3 and then another $99 & end up with a system that not only looks cheap (compared to the beauty of the original) but lacks several of the features of the original. Granted, I got several years use out of the first one and knew upfront the choice I made to get the slim. I should also note that this is not my first replacement. Sony did give me a free replacement shortly after Grand Theft Auto came out. To this day, I don't know the details, but GTA did something to PS3's that caused audio stuttering. Once I explained what was happening, they immediately offered to give me a replacement.
post #15 of 145 Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 AM

It's my personal belief that the YLOD primary cause has been people putting the PS3 in entertainment centers and such with not enough cooling airspace. When I got my release 60GB that was how I first tried setting it up. after feeling how fricken hot the air was coming out of the unit I decided to move it to an open space shelf. My folks also have one and have not had a problem with either one..

DJ

post #16 of 145 Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you want the slim its $99. If you want your fat repaired its $129. Sony sends you a box to mail in your PS3 and they pay all postage.

The slim is a refurbished unit (120gb). I just got my fat PS3 back for Sony they exchanged they unit for a refurb fat - the case on the refurb as new - not a scratch or ding on it.
post #17 of 145 Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Liked: 13
They only offer the exchange for the 20 and 60 gig models. When my 40 gig got the ylod, they wanted $150 to repair it. When i asked if i could pay $150 to get the slim instead, they said they couldnt do it for my model.
post #18 of 145 Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5CMPB View Post

They only offer the exchange for the 20 and 60 gig models. When my 40 gig got the ylod, they wanted $150 to repair it. When i asked if i could pay $150 to get the slim instead, they said they couldnt do it for my model.

^This is correct^ Only 20 and 60 gigs get the trade-in offer!

psn: ashunte
post #19 of 145 Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The new slims dont look even close to as good a machine ( on the outside) as the phats...i'll stick with my 40gb phatty

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #20 of 145 Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Question: My PS3's Blu-ray drive just died, and the GPU has been acting up for quite some time. Will this offer work for me or does it need to be YLOD?

EDIT: 60GB launch day model
post #21 of 145 Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM

it should work for u. Call Sony and ask. let us know what they say

DJ

post #22 of 145 Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post

it should work for u. Call Sony and ask. let us know what they say

I will but it might take me a while. I have to backup my data first and don't yet have an external HDD. Once my data is backed up I'll call them and let you know.
post #23 of 145 Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It's obvious that there is a large amount of these units fail, perhaps all of them after a certain time. The question should be why our consumer agencies haven't insisted that Sony, and for that matter Microsoft, conduct a complete recall of these units and have them repaired or replaced no charge. They do it for the car companies.
post #24 of 145 Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post

It's obvious that there is a large amount of these units fail, perhaps all of them after a certain time. The question should be why our consumer agencies haven't insisted that Sony, and for that matter Microsoft, conduct a complete recall of these units and have them repaired or replaced no charge. They do it for the car companies.

I agree, although that might be so expensive for Sony and Microsoft that we might not see a Playstation 4 / Xbox720 (or whatever) so in the end I guess this is best.
post #25 of 145 Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
its called gamestop. why would sony have a program for you to trade in your system for a new one when the current ps3 already is sold at a loss?
post #26 of 145 Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Because the Govt only mandates recalls that affect consumer safety. that be with cars or electronics or baby cribs.... remember the Lithium Ion battery recall for laptops. catching fire is a safety issue. your device failing is not. PS3 failure rate is very low and within normal limits for electronics. Unlike Microsofts 30-45% rate

DJ

post #27 of 145 Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
its called gamestop. why would sony have a program for you to trade in your system for a new one when the current ps3 already is sold at a loss?
Have you been reading this thread? It's a 60g. That's why.
post #28 of 145 Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Gamestop was running a similar trade in promo during the fall of last year. I traded in my old 40gb phat for a brand new 160gb slim for 99 bucks. I figured my phat was old (about 3 years I think) and the fan was constantly kicking on for newer games where it did not do that as much in the past. So I got the new PS3 with full warranty.
post #29 of 145 Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good point Soutthpaw, unless these things catch on fire and launch themselves accross the room and kill baby Jessica, then its buyer beware, I guess.
post #30 of 145 Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good point Soutthpaw, unless these things catch on fire and launch themselves accross the room and kill baby Jessica, then its buyer beware, I guess.

True but there should still be some kind of class action lawsuit or something. Otherwise these devices should have an estimated lifetime or something.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page