Portal 2 Releasing On 4/20/11: Valve Taking Care Of PS3 Owners - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Portal 2 DLC will be _Free_ !!

Earlier this week, Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi revealed that the company's recently released Portal 2 would be getting its first batch of downloadable content this summer. Today the developer gave a few details on the DLC, most notably that it would be free of charge to all players.

The first Portal 2 DLC pack will feature new test chambers, as well as single-player and cooperative multiplayer challenge modes. The pack will also add leaderboards, and be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Mac versions of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310911.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Excellent. This is exactly the stuff that I've been missing in Portal 2. More time-trial style levels. Maybe we'll finally see the real mind-bending puzzles that were so great in the first game.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #93 of 115 Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Liked: 93
post #94 of 115 Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM

WOW! What a great game IMO. Maybe I've been locked up in COD for too long. Played last night for about 3 hours and got to chapter 3. I don't want it to end.
Everyone was right about the sense of accomplishment. Once you figure out the puzzle it's as if a light goes off in your head. My 7 year old was even entertained watching dad play.
Anyway, I highly recommend it if you are looking for a change in FPS's.
post #95 of 115 Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A friend and I played through co-op today (split screen). Definitely a lot of fun, though the jokes coming from GLaDOS weren't very funny. There were a few head-scratching levels, and I'm glad we weren't communicating over a headset to figure them out.
post #96 of 115 Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM

"In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts."

No chance I'll let Sony anywhere near any other accounts. May as well just post all my usernames, passwords and CC details here and save myself time.
post #97 of 115 Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchip View Post

"In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts."

No chance I'll let Sony anywhere near any other accounts. May as well just post all my usernames, passwords and CC details here and save myself time.

If you've done business over the internet at all, odds are your data is on some guy's pc in Nigeria three times over by now. No need to spread FUD, just be happy it's working and go about your business as usual.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #98 of 115 Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 AM

I think FUD is a bit strong of an acronym to throw around here. Seeing as I am not spreading it but going on hard evidence of Sony's recent failure to protect my information. But don't let that stop you as it's just my opinion and I don't feel the need to tell you what to do. -.-
post #99 of 115 Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchip View Post

Yeah, you've got that backwards champ. This would link Steam to your Sony account - not the other way around. So unless you are worried about someone hacking Steam and getting your PSN account name, you're barking up the wrong tree.
post #100 of 115 Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Ok 'champ' thanks for the response and also having enough respect for others to not be derogatory. *Thumbs Up* -.-
post #101 of 115 Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone had any luck getting their steam portal2 code to download and play the game since the PSN came back up?

The game downloads, but it refuses to launch. And Steam's support forum's registration seemed to be hosed yesterday as well.
post #102 of 115 Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Wow, what an ending. The game seemed pretty long too and I only started co-op. Would probably be my GOTY, but inFamous 2 will probably take it.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #103 of 115 Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

Anyone had any luck getting their steam portal2 code to download and play the game since the PSN came back up?

The game downloads, but it refuses to launch. And Steam's support forum's registration seemed to be hosed yesterday as well.

Downloading as we speak (on Mac platform). I'll update when the game has been downloaded. I have been having some wonky issues lately with downloading (a lot of them keep suspending on me). I've since changed my server back to what it was originally (Houston, TX, I'm near Tampa, FL) and so far so good.

Did your download stop and start a lot? What's the error message that it gives you?

Update: I downloaded and was able to play the game with no issues. Played through the first chapter.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #104 of 115 Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

My kid repeatedly tried to download it while the PSN was down in spite of my telling him not to. He even got the full amount of data to download, even though it wouldn't installa nd play.

Now it just shows the download as suspended or paused, even though it is complete, and gives a game unavailable message when we click play.

Tried deleting the game out fo the apps drectory, and it won't re download it either.

Finally got a steam support account to actually register, but no response from them yet.
post #105 of 115 Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Have you connected your PSN account with your Steam ID by launching Portal 2 on the PS3? The download code included with the game has to be connected with a Steam account that's been linked with your PSN ID. It won't work otherwise.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #106 of 115 Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, did that Sunday prior to trying again. His stats for playing portal2 on the PS3 show up in his steam account on the mac, and when we tried re-entering the code, it gave a message indicating the code had been accepted already and did not need to be re-entered. So the glitch is something on their end.

Put the question in to Steam support Sunday evening and still no reply. How long do they usually take to respond?
post #107 of 115 Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 193
I started and finished Portal 2 this Independence Day weekend. I give the solo campaign an 8 out of 10.

The negatives aren't too bad... I thought the original game was a lot more charming, but that in part comes from the advantage of being the original. The puzzles seemed a lot easier too (though a few had me walking in circles until I got it), but again maybe its because of having experience with the first game. For instance, I can imagine P2 being tricky for those who haven't yet wrapped their heads around controlling terminal velocity.

In P1, GlaDOS was extremely charming in an obnoxious kind of way, but a bit blah in this one, especially as the story developed. Lastly, the final song isn't an instant classic like the final song in P1. So if someone hasn't played P1, my negatives look like they'd be minimized in importance or disappear altogether.

The pros however make a stronger impression than the cons. The puzzles are a LOT more varied and interesting, which I liked a lot. It can't be emphasized enough how this adds to the fun of a game that could be more of a one-trick-pony if they wanted to be lazy with it. New game play elements and rules are constantly introduced until near the end. I also appreciate the attempt to vary the visual design of the levels a bit, although you can only do so much with a factory setting.

For some reason, the co-op mode doesn't appeal to me, but I may try it in the future. For now I am looking forward to the DLC for more solo levels.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #108 of 115 Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
joe, I think you'd like the co-op. The puzzles are much more challenging than those in the SP campaign. It's a blast.

If you do dive into co-op, just make sure you go in with someone else that hasn't played any of the levels before.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #109 of 115 Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The co-op is definitely a lot of fun. A friend and I finished it in one extremely long sitting because we didn't want to stop playing.

And I agree with your points about the single player.
post #110 of 115 Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Co-op was very fun, especially with a friend but just jumping in and finding a partner was fun too.

The Weekend Warriors
post #111 of 115 Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Put me down for one more person who thought co-op was at least as much fun as single player.

I'd recommend if at all possible though, to play through the co-op part on split screen mode. It makes it much easier in my opinion to communicate with your partner.

Steam ID : TubularTech
X-Box Live : Tubular Tech
post #112 of 115 Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm behind but just got this.

Pardon my ignorance around this and Steam, but I see it comes with the ability to download the PC version, but appears it will be linked with my ps3 copy. I'm wondering if it's possible to play coop from the PS3 copy to the pc (with me on the PS3 and my son in the other room on the PC) or not. Or will that require 2 separate retail copies?
post #113 of 115 Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm I played with a friend on my PC with my Steam copy and me on the PS3.
post #114 of 115 Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

I can confirm I played with a friend on my PC with my Steam copy and me on the PS3.

Thanks. After doing some research, it appears this is possible if you jump through a couple hoops (tie the steam copy to a secondary PSN id)

Will give it a shot. My kid and I tried splitscreen co-op, but the limited field of view is distracting (not used to playing splitscreen).
post #115 of 115 Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hrmmm. I didn't have to do any of that. I simply launched my PS3 and steam games, found my steam user online through the PS3, and got down on some coop. Not really certain what additional steps are/may now be required, but it was pretty easy when I did it.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page