post #1 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 announced, coming to 360 and PS3

After years of build-up and waiting, Final Fantasy XIII was released to so-so reviews. The game was a disappointment. But, if at first you don't succeed, try again.

Regardless of fan bickering or indifference, the game was a monster hit for Square Enix, moving over six million copies.

The game's developer, Square Enix, is working on Final Fantasy XIII-2, a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

The number of Final Fantasy games can be confusing for non-fans. Each of the games do not follow sequential order, so when Square Enix wants to do a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, the game does not end up being Final Fantasy XIV (which is a totally different, already released game), but Final Fantasy XIII-2.

There is a precedent for this as Square Enix released a sequel to Final Fantasy X in 2003 called Final Fantasy X-2. The sequel followed the exploits of Final Fantasy X heroine Yuna, and Final Fantasy XIII is expected to do the same.

Square Enix has only unveiled the game's logo, which showed Final Fantasy XIII heroine Lightning as well as a new, unnamed character. It is thought that this character is Lightning's rival.

Unlike Final Fantasy XIII, which caused controversy by originally only being slated for the PS3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is penciled in for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, right off the bat. The game won't have the wait that Final Fantasy XIII did. According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011.

Source:

http://kotaku.com/5736409/final-fant...-a-second-game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Sweet, even if FFXIII wasn't the best FF, I'm still a sucker for Final Fantasy games ( and rpg) so I'll probably get it anyways.

I just hope they change the combat system back to the goold old turn-based like in FFX. The combat system was what I hated about FFXIII.
post #3 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I just hope they change the combat system back to the goold old turn-based like in FFX. The combat system was what I hated about FFXIII.

Eh I wasn't too turned off by the battle system, although I do wish they could find a way to incorporate team management (which is what 13 really was) but still offer sufficient individual character management . Of course, without bogging fights down to 5 to 10 minute affairs.

Personally, what I disliked (I didn't really hate anything about 13) was a lot of little things that added up to a less than stellar game. Nothing in particular was bad, but overall the gameplay/story mechanics didn't live up to its expectations. I am encouraged by this news, as 13 really just needed tweaking in a couple of areas to make it a great game.

I'm actually kind of stoked to hear this as I thought I would have to sit out FF play, waiting for the next FF single player game, for another 4 or 5 years

-Suntan
post #4 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Hmmm, it's disappointing that we know that this game is releasing in 2011 (likely Japan only) and we still don't have much on FF vs. XIII which was announced years ago.

In any case, I avoided FFXIII after hearing the mediocre reviews. Hopefully this release is much better.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
post #6 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

While I agree, I don't think we'll ever see a return to that style. Everything seems to be about making the pace faster and faster and Square is probably afraid to lose that part of the fan base.

I personally liked the battle system of XIII, but I would have preferred it if while you were changing Paradigms, it paused the action. I wanted to think out my strategy and not have to make a split second decision on which Paradigm I wanted because you could get attacked while you were scrolling between your options.

At least put in the option of letting us choose between active time and paused time like we had in FFXII.
post #7 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
What's the point of wearing all that armor if her ass is hanging out of it?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #8 of 58 Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I hated FF13 so I am skipping this game. Everything that made FF a great series was removed in FF13. The exploring, buying armor, level grinding and other great things were removed for a boring linear game. I gave up in April after making it about 40% through the game because it was just not fun to play. It's boring.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #9 of 58 Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That's too bad, you quit before the game to the more open exploration, level grinding part.

The only real draw back of XIII for me was that you didn't get to really have that fun until nearly the end of the story (or after).

The paradigm system was really fun once I got the hang of it, and then when all roles were unlocked it really got cool, but again it was far too late in the game to really enjoy it.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #10 of 58 Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

That's too bad, you quit before the game to the more open exploration, level grinding part.

The only real draw back of XIII for me was that you didn't get to really have that fun until nearly the end of the story (or after).

The paradigm system was really fun once I got the hang of it, and then when all roles were unlocked it really got cool, but again it was far too late in the game to really enjoy it.

I sort of agree. It was visually impressive to open up into the open area of gran pulse, but at the end like it was it was just grinding for the sake of grinding imo.

My issue with that is that I like the older games where even when they were not 100% linear (like 13 was) you had specific areas of the map that you travelled to only after you progressed. You'd level up, finish an area and then move to the next area where you would get your a$$ handed to you until you leveled up enough to be proficient in that new area. It gave more of a sense of accomplishment and improvement throughout the game. In 13, you were never really faced with a "stronger" opponent until you got to gran pulse. The only real sense that the opponents were getting harder was that the magic spells got more animated... ...and the *enemies* got more zippers. However, once you got to gran pulse you knew you were close to the end of the game yet you could be killed by most of the critters running around there.

At that point, I just leveled up enough to move on and finish the game and didn't really feel inclined to warp back to gran pulse "just to grind" afterwords.

-Suntan
post #11 of 58 Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

And for the love of Pete, can we just have one FF game where the end fight doesn't occur on some existential plane of non-existence, fighting a demi-god creature that doesn't obey the laws of physics and at least mimics reality somewhat?

-Suntan
post #12 of 58 Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

And for the love of Pete, can we just have one FF game where the end fight doesn't occur on some existential plane of non-existence, fighting a demi-god creature that doesn't obey the laws of physics and at least mimics reality somewhat?

-Suntan

Now that's just a slap in the face of japanese culture there

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #13 of 58 Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

And for the love of Pete, can we just have one FF game where the end fight doesn't occur on some existential plane of non-existence, fighting a demi-god creature that doesn’t obey the laws of physics and at least mimics reality somewhat?

-Suntan

Pfft. If I'm not saving the world from a demigod on an existential plane, it's not Final Fantasy. May as well be playing dominoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

The exploring, buying armor, level grinding and other great things were removed for a boring linear game

I loved the weapon upgrade system. The only problem is the game spent time explaining everything else, so it wasn't that obvious.

I spent about 2 hours grinding in Hope's apartment and probably the same fighting those white cieth and lightning clones.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #14 of 58 Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

E3 2011 update.... pics and info:
Quote:

Square Enix has released a couple of new screens for Final Fantasy XIII-2, which it says has been developed with close attention paid to criticisms of the main Final Fantasy XIII game.

Producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama have said the plot for the game picks up where Final Fantasy XIII ended, with players searching for a gate to the invisible world called 'Bunibelle'.

Etro, a goddess, will apparently be a central character in the story and the developer has said other characters from Final Fantasy XIII will return too, along with "major and unexpected changes". Maybe they'll have rubbish hair.

The screens are the first real in-game shots we've seen and show off the battle system, which looks to be the same 'Paradigm' system from 13. The characters in the shots are Sarah, the sister of Lightning and Noel, a new character that helps Sarah escape when their hometown comes under attack.

post #15 of 58 Old 06-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
im a big final fantasy fan, specially 7, 12 and 10. in that order, but the battle system and environment in 13 was really lame. i did enjoy the OST though. i wont buy 13-2.
post #16 of 58 Old 06-03-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

im a big final fantasy fan, specially 7, 12 and 10. in that order, but the battle system and environment in 13 was really lame. i did enjoy the OST though. i wont buy 13-2.

I'm a big final Fantasy Fan. I would say X-7-9 for me. Didn't like the battle system in 13. the OST was awesome ( like always). I'll buy FFXIII-2 because it,s FF
post #17 of 58 Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I was OK with the battle system at the time I played it. Now that I am ¾ through playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope I gotta say that if they are intent on having a fast action battle system (instead of a more measured and strategic system) I wish they would just directly copy Star Ocean's system. It's more fun than the last FF battle system by far.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in this follow-up game.

-Suntan
post #18 of 58 Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a (very brief) gameplay trailer:

post #19 of 58 Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Wasn't Snow supposed to marry Serah at the end of FF XIII? Or something happened and Serah decided to run off with Light without Snow. Or Snow got cold feet and not ready to give up his freedom with NORA?

I wonder if the voice actors will be the same for FF XIII-2.
post #20 of 58 Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure this will eventually be delayed to 2012, but I'm surprised to hear that they are actually targeting Fall of this year. That seems pretty early. Unless of course that date is the Japan release and we aren't seeing it until 6 months later.
post #21 of 58 Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I'm sure this will eventually be delayed to 2012, but I'm surprised to hear that they are actually targeting Fall of this year. That seems pretty early. Unless of course that date is the Japan release and we aren't seeing it until 6 months later.

I think that was part of the argument for making this II version. The original took so freaking long that they wanted to get a followup out sooner rather than later by using a lot (most all) of the basic game system as is.

I know some people probably see this as cheating, but personally I'm all in favor of companies reusing game systems (as long as they are still competitive and not truly outdated) to get new/different games out in a more timely manor. The things that fell short in the last game didn't really have to do with the underlying game bits, imo.

I don't fancy waiting an additional 5 years just to get a new version of selecting level upgrades and picking battle commands.

-Suntan
post #22 of 58 Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

And, according to the end of the official trailer they just showed at E3...
Quote:

I'm sure this will eventually be delayed to 2012

post #23 of 58 Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, according to the end of the official trailer they just showed at E3...

Not suprising really. Eh... in the end maybe not such a bad thing. I'm already backlogged with games as it is.

-Suntan
post #24 of 58 Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM

I ended up enjoying FF XIII, though the final boss was silly. The main thing I didn't like about the game was how slowly they introduced the battle system, as it is a pretty good system as soon as all the possibilities open up. Will likely buy FF XIII-2 since I'm a sucker for the FF series.
post #25 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

New preview of the sequel is up. It's due out on March 2, 2012.

Quote:
If we were given ten hours with which to preview Final Fantasy XIII we would be presenting you with four pages covering a tutorial. That’s not even a joke. It’s barely an exaggeration.

But being given ten hours to play Final Fantasy XIII-2, one of those super-rare direct sequels Square Enix sometimes does, means we are covering… well, a Final Fantasy game. It turns out when we all complained, somebody did indeed listen.

An extended opening sequence sets the scene and introduces players to the Cinematic Action element of the game (QTEs to you and me). It’s Final Fantasy as we would all expect – overblown, dramatic, beautiful and just a bit confusing.

Soon enough, it’s over – effectively your tutorial is done – and players are dropped into a… no… this can’t be right, can it? A town? With people to talk to? And cats to chase? And water to wade in?

Shouldn’t we be getting constantly pressed on and not allowed to take on side quests or simply saunter about for another 24 hours of playing time, just like Final Fantasy XIII?

But we already said – Square Enix listened. You’ll be visiting towns, talking to NPCs, not constantly pressed on into the next area. You’ll be able to take on side quests almost immediately, and you’ll be able to talk to actual shopkeepers rather than a floating save-ball of doom. Even Hope – at least in the time we met him – was less annoying than in Final Fantasy XIII.

What do we mean by ‘the time we met him’? Well, this is a Final Fantasy that takes its cues from Chrono Trigger (and Cross, of course), dallying with the whole concept of time travel, whizzing around and changing the course of events, dicking about with fate and generally meaning you get to experience a story over hundreds of years, rather than just a few days/weeks.

Far from being just a secondary, storytelling element or a cheap gimmick, the time-travel system – incorporated into what is being called Historia Crux (otherwise known as ‘a menu’) – has the potential to make Final Fantasy XIII-2 very interesting indeed. As well as very confusing.

Players can take different routes through the game, through different ‘episodes’ set in different places and times. Depending on choices made in each episode, routes taken through the game will be different and a selection of different endings are available.

And the word ‘different’ is used a lot. You’re free to choose to replay entire episodes from the beginning, or simply revisit them as and when you see the need – tried (and failed) to fight a giant flan? Travel to another time, end the paradox that causes said flan to be super-sized, return to the original theatre of combat and face off against the newly weakened (and smaller) flan.

Naturally that’s just a single example, and the choices of routes that can be taken – and the encouragement to replay episodes to pick up new and hidden items – makes for an experience that could well be very deep, if not just ruddy well time-consuming.

The additions thrown into the Final Fantasy XIII-2 pile don’t all smack of genius or delicious design decisions, and nowhere is this more evident than with the Live Trigger dialogue system.

Think something like Mass Effect, or any adventure game where you’re allowed the choice of how to respond to something. Then take those responses and make them both sporadically implemented and so they have very little effect on how the story plays out. Then you’ve got Live Trigger.

It’s easy to see why it’s been brought in – it gives players the illusion that they’re having more of an impact on what happens in the game, but the illusion is soon shattered when you’re forced to choose all four dialogue options, or when your chosen option makes nothing at all change.

We already know these elements don’t impact the multiple endings of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and the rewards you receive – at least from what we played – were uninteresting at best.

It’s one of the areas where, for all it’s good to see Square Enix listening and bringing in changes to let players feel more in control, it ends up being utterly pointless.

Maybe it will become more important as the game progresses – maybe Square Enix will decide it should be have more impact on what actually goes down in the game. But right now, it’s a hollow, empty addition.

But, quite genuinely, that’s one of the only real negatives we could think of relating to the new additions to Final Fantasy XIII-2. Historia Crux works, the quick-time events make the usual chore of watching boss battle cut-scenes that bit more interesting and generally speaking it seems as though listening to criticisms of Final Fantasy XIII might well pay off in the end.

But that’s not to say there aren’t still issues with what’s been brought over from last time – though this is more down to deliberate design and personal choice rather than outright badness.

Yes, for what we have here is still very much a JRPG, and JRPGs have a very particular style about them. Final Fantasy XIII-2, for all its attempts at mass appeal, is no different.

Haircuts, androgyny, clumsy dialogue (“I’m grateful you remember me” just sounds stupid), stiff animations and all the other non-game-breaking faults that you will either ignore or rant about endlessly return for another run. But is that something to really complain about? Probably not. But it’s fair to highlight the fact.

It’s quite interesting to see the differences between the direct sequels of the Final Fantasy world. While Final Fantasy X-2 was a camp, J-pop infused sideshow that, while a decent game, didn’t have a huge impact, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is looking to be a sequel’s sequel.

Less a throwaway addition, more how traditional sequels work and – strangely – actually seeming like more of a ‘true’ Final Fantasy game than that it is working as a sequel for.

It still won’t appeal to everyone, but Final Fantasy XIII-2 has every chance of bringing back some lapsed fans who deserted a series they might have thought lost its way somewhat. Just as long as Vanille is in it as little as possible.

post #26 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice! I'm happy to read this!!

Towns!!! TOWNS!!!!!
post #27 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I was hesitant to schedule FFXIII2 into my gameplay. Reading that though makes it sound like it would be worth it.

The ability to actually travel back and forth through time (Sounds a little like Zelda OOT) is intriguing.

As for everyone always bagging on Vanille, I found her much less annoying compared to that little EMO kid that just whined all game long.

-Suntan
post #28 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I was hesitant to schedule FFXIII2 into my gameplay. Reading that though makes it sound like it would be worth it.

The ability to actually travel back and forth through time (Sounds a little like Zelda OOT) is intriguing.

As for everyone always bagging on Vanille, I found her much less annoying compared to that little EMO kid that just whined all game long.

-Suntan

Weird I didn't find Hope to be all-whiny and annoying.... but hey, I loved FFX with the emo whining Tidus everyone whines about
post #29 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM

I can't wait for this! I am also really glad to hear that they went back to having towns and whatnot. From the screen shots I saw, it looks like they left the auto-battle command though which is one of the things that I wasn't a huge fan of. At least make it the second choice, not the default.
post #30 of 58 Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Nice! I'm happy to read this!!

Towns!!! TOWNS!!!!!

I never see much use of towns in JRPG most of the time. Sure are people in the towns but rarely they say anything useful. To shop or sell items, I have to run from shop to shop. I like FF XIII terminal where I can buy or sell everything.
Reply PlayStation Area