post #391 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

I'm starting to think there are no actually dedicated servers for Dark Souls and everything is done peer to peer, like Xbox 360 games. That's why there is the instability and fragmentation. Would be an unfortunate sideeffect of going multiplatform if it were the case

I was under the impression they didn't want to pay for dedicated servers? Multiplat really shouldn't matter, EA does dedicated servers on the Xbox, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
EA is one of the only companies with an special arrangement with MS. Running a server doesn't cost that much, especially with data price rates nowadays. Heck I use to run my own servers in the early days of PC online gaming
post #393 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Even P2P requires servers. They do matchmaking and ghosts, messages on the ground, etc. I doubt Demon's Souls had dedicated servers, it was probably very similar to Dark Souls but with more complicated rules for matchmaking.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #394 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Liked: 832
Pretty sure it's the same also, but I think this time around they greatly reduced both the SL variance you can connect to, and also the number of "other worlds" you see. IE servers are much, much smaller.

Apparently every time you put down a soul sign, it connects to a different server. Still, if that server is filled with higher SL people, or people in other areas, you'll be SOL. I think the smaller server size is ultimatly the biggest problem.

Once you do get into someones game, it's P2P. World. Wide. P2P.

I've connected to some obviously Japanese players and the ghosting and lag can be incredible.
post #395 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Whatever the problem is, I hope it's fixed in the patch. One of the best things about Demon's Souls was the co-op stuff and invasions. Now it's like I'm isolated in this world by myself.

That's fine because a lot of the game is perfect for that. But there are times when you either need help or in my case I want to get summoned because I need to get 10 sunlight medals. It may take me 10 days to get summoned 15 times or so and successfully help them clear a level/boss and get the sunlight medal. On Demon's Souls I could get that done in a few hours probably.

Brandon
post #396 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Once you do get into someones game, it's P2P. World. Wide. P2P.

I've connected to some obviously Japanese players and the ghosting and lag can be incredible.

It's a wonderful concept and one of the biggest advantages to having such an anonymous and random online "MP" system. But, yeah, in practice one wonders what the selection algorithm is for finding other players.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #397 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Invading is pretty random, but on Demon's Souls there was nothing random about server selection when it came to co-op. I could find people on my buddy list probably 95% of the time. There were a few times where I would have to go back to the Nexus and re-enter the world before they would show up, but it was very rare.

The way it is now (from what I've been told), you simply have very little chance of finding your buddies. For me that's a problem because we actually communicate with each other via chat or telephone while playing and my needs require it. I want to summon help for the Tomb of Giants, and I specifically want somebody who has the cast light spell or a skull lantern to help. There's no way to determine that ahead of time with random players.

Brandon
post #398 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Invading is pretty random, but on Demon's Souls there was nothing random about server selection when it came to co-op. I could find people on my buddy list probably 95% of the time. There were a few times where I would have to go back to the Nexus and re-enter the world before they would show up, but it was very rare.

The way it is now (from what I've been told), you simply have very little chance of finding your buddies. For me that's a problem because we actually communicate with each other via chat or telephone while playing and my needs require it. I want to summon help for the Tomb of Giants, and I specifically want somebody who has the cast light spell or a skull lantern to help. There's no way to determine that ahead of time with random players.

Brandon

Being able to summon people from our friendlist (if the SL is ok) would have been perfect. Haven't tried the game with my brother yet
post #399 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Apparently every time you put down a soul sign, it connects to a different server.

Is there any evidence for this? I keep reading this, but it sounds like nonsense. They could have one computer and many pools of possible player connections. I doubt the 1-3 soul signs I see are one separate computer and the 1-3 that my friend sees in the same spot is another.

whatever it is I hope they patch it and explain it a bit more. Not only would I like to predictably connect to my friend, I'd also like to the the "summoned failed" message less and see more white signs and get summoned faster.

post #400 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Being able to summon people from our friendlist (if the SL is ok) would have been perfect. Haven't tried the game with my brother yet

You can't summon them directly from your list, but it was pretty easy to coordinate where to drop your soul sign so that your buddy could find it.

Brandon
post #401 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Is there any evidence for this? I keep reading this, but it sounds like nonsense. They could have one computer and many pools of possible player connections. I doubt the 1-3 soul signs I see are one separate computer and the 1-3 that my friend sees in the same spot is another.

whatever it is I hope they patch it and explain it a bit more. Not only would I like to predictably connect to my friend, I'd also like to the the "summoned failed" message less and see more white signs and get summoned faster.

No idea. The conjecture is it switches servers, since some claim that their friends eventually see it if they continue to spam it over and over and over. But, if I was planning it out, I'd just have it hit the first server it could and propagate the request over the matchmaking server form.

FS has been tight lipped, and it appears Namco's statement that it was +/- 10% isn't right. It's still +/- 10 SL.

I wish Atlas was still publisher. They at least were much more forthcoming about info, problems, updates from FS, and fun server tendency changes.
post #402 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It's a wonderful concept and one of the biggest advantages to having such an anonymous and random online "MP" system. But, yeah, in practice one wonders what the selection algorithm is for finding other players.

Crap, at least for me. If i don't sign on by 5pm EST it seems to put me on a server with very few people, or one where everyone else is way beyond my SL and in different areas. The cake was the other night where I got frustrated after not getting summoned for 30 min, signed off, only to get put in the same server the next day (same exact messages on the ground). It might not effect summoning, but it seems to until you finally get hooked up with a few people.

I don't think it's happening, but FS would have been smart to have made an connection algorithm that tried to pool similar SL characters on the same matchmaking/comment servers.
post #403 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So other than these connection problems are you guys happy with the game? Is it pretty much Demon's Souls 2, only better? I was under the impression that they were going to make it easier to find friends on this game than the last, not the opposite. I'm trying not to read too much in this thread as I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but I had to take a little peak.

The release of this game has given me some incentive to go back and finish Demon's Souls or at least make some more progress on it. Assuming that most of you finished Demon's Souls, what soul level were you when you beat the final or hardest boss?
post #404 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think i was 90ish when I beat Demon's Souls the first time, and I needlessly grinded a bit.

I am only about 1/3 through Dark Souls and think it's great, but besides the connection issues I am not liking the online as much since you need to make an effort to play with other people instead of it being automatic. For example, in Dark Souls you can play solo the entire time and never realize that you need to use an item to become human to be able to play with others. In Demon Souls you automatically became human after beating a boss and thus instantly able to summon others or be invaded. Also, I think some of the fps drops are very bad in Dark Souls. I've had the game feel like freeze frame in three separate places (Depths, Blighttown, and Painted World of Ariamis), and it can last for quite a while, or the entire level when it comes to Blighttown.
post #405 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't summon them directly from your list, but it was pretty easy to coordinate where to drop your soul sign so that your buddy could find it.

Brandon

Still alot of trouble. Would have been easier to just be able to pop your friend into your game faster.
post #406 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Every soul sign I've seen has been near a boss. I don't think anyone wants to run around these levels since the host is likely to die by falling or something silly that will waste your time; the amount of narrow areas where you can fall to your death is annoying...especially since you move when you block an attack, so you are bound to fall a lot. I think I was around 25 for Capra, 30 for Gaping Dragon, 35 for Queelag, and 40 for Sen's Fortress. White phantoms were available for all of those bosses at those levels.

Well that explains why I am not having a hard time. I am way ahead of where I should be, but grinding for upgrade stones takes time and to keep bordem out I grind alot of the depths not just the slimes. 63 and I still haven't ventured in Sen's.

Either way I don't care I am enjoying it, but it explains why I rarely get invaded or summoned.
post #407 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Also, I think some of the fps drops are very bad in Dark Souls. I've had the game feel like freeze frame in three separate places (Depths, Blighttown, and Painted World of Ariamis), and it can last for quite a while, or the entire level when it comes to Blighttown.

Never had that in the depths and only in one spot in Blighttown for about 30 seconds. I haven't been to the painted world yet. I read that alot of people get it in blighttown.
post #408 of 1246 Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^The Depths was a one time thing. It happened to me when I first entered into where they have 4 or 5 guys with torches just before the butcher. It was chugging so slow I almost got my camcorder to record it, but I just decided to cry a little inside and move on. The rest of the level was fine. The Painted World of Ariamis is hit or miss; a lot of it runs fine, but then for 30+ seconds it runs horribly. I wouldn't say the fps drops ruin the game, it is just very disappointing when it occurs.
post #409 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Finsihed the game, did about everything I could in the game, I received almost every armor and weapon. The ending was anti-climatic. Big let down, I choose the ending where I kept the power, won't tell you what the cut scene is though.

Overall a great game. I started a new game+ and you keep everything you have except boss souls, but the enemies have 50% more health, they do 50% more damage, and have 50% more resistence. Really ramps up the game difficulty.

post #410 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Finsihed the game, did about everything I could in the game, I received almost every armor and weapon. The ending was anti-climatic. Big let down, I choose the ending where I kept the power, won't tell you what the cut scene is though.

Overall a great game. I started a new game+ and you keep everything you have except boss souls, but the enemies have 50% more health, they do 50% more damage, and have 50% more resistence. Really ramps up the game difficulty.

I finished last night also. The ending was beyond anti-climatic. Guess they wanted to prove there really is no story!

Loved the game and am looking forward to going through 1.5 more times.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #411 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

How is sunlight beam?
post #412 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't get it yet. I'll let you know tonight....but I doubt my faith is high enough to use it.

post #413 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is sunlight beam?

Very weak and takes up a valubale spell slot for what little it does. i would instead focus on soulmass or pyrmoancy and put two of them in a slot so you can get double the number of castings out of these insanely damaging spells.

post #414 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

As cheap as it is....I use the Great Magic Shield spell a lot. Or at least since I heard about it once I decided to take on Bed of Chaos. They claim it will be patched soon, but until then it offers you invincibility for the duration of the spell. Pretty handy. That and my handy-dandy crystal orb seeking things are all I need!

post #415 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to get my warrior from 9 to 12 faith for the heal spell. I am also close to freeing the guy in the Depths for pyromancy. Does adding a heal and some pyro to my warrior sound sane?

post #416 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM

I've gotta get this game. From what i'm hearing around the these forums and others is that its a good buy.
post #417 of 1246 Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Very weak and takes up a valubale spell slot for what little it does. i would instead focus on soulmass or pyrmoancy and put two of them in a slot so you can get double the number of castings out of these insanely damaging spells.

What's your faith level? Mine is 50 so maybe it will work well for me?

Brandon
post #418 of 1246 Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what's your faith level? Mine is 50 so maybe it will work well for me?

Brandon

post #419 of 1246 Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm about to get my warrior from 9 to 12 faith for the heal spell. I am also close to freeing the guy in the Depths for pyromancy. Does adding a heal and some pyro to my warrior sound sane?

LOVE the heal spell. Its like 4 more healing flasks. Great spell to have in a slot. Use them after battles so you can save the flasks for battle. The spell takes to long to cast to be really practical in hectic battles.

post #420 of 1246 Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will go with William on this one. I love the healing spell on my knight. i use it after after to keep the flask for fights. also, when you,re summoned... you can't use flask but you can use the heal spell to heal yourself, pretty useful
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page