post #91 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I am talking about these developers making a game with Demon Souls engine/graphics, where you can freely explore towns (ala Oblivion), take on side quests, go looting, level up, buy/sell, explore the world. Without fear of dying and loosing half of your health, mana, etc. and having to beat what killed you before you can go on. A true open world role player you can explore. Having this incredible graphics engine in an open world role player like Oblivion would of been the bomb and I think it would of been a juggernaut in the role playing community.

That'd be awesome, not sure if systems can handle Demons Souls quality graphics in an open world game though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I am talking about these developers making a game with Demon Souls engine/graphics, where you can freely explore towns (ala Oblivion), take on side quests, go looting, level up, buy/sell, explore the world. Without fear of dying and loosing half of your health, mana, etc. and having to beat what killed you before you can go on. A true open world role player you can explore. Having this incredible graphics engine in an open world role player like Oblivion would of been the bomb and I think it would of been a juggernaut in the role playing community.

It's a nice thought. It'd just be a different game. Probably the closest to what you're talking about are the Witcher games on PC--dark, action-heavy, open, traditional RPGs.

I remember before I'd played Demon's Souls, many folks were describing it as "dark Zelda." That kind of stuck for me. Just toss in some Monster Hunter (item building/collecting) and old-school D&D modules (level design) and you pretty much have Demon's Souls.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #93 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Liked: 832
That probably why it did so well. It appeals to a litany of old school gamers by taking what worked from so many other games.

To me it was survival horror, pure and simple. Running and avoiding enemies where possible was the best course of action before NG. Saving powerful weapons and items to defeat the overpowered bosses and get out of tight situations. The ever presence of Red Phantoms tracking you down.
post #94 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Maybe Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will come close to what you are looking for. It's made by the llead designer of Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion, and it's due out in early 2012:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #95 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It's a nice thought. It'd just be a different game. Probably the closest to what you're talking about are the Witcher games on PC--dark, action-heavy, open, traditional RPGs.

I remember before I'd played Demon's Souls, many folks were describing it as "dark Zelda." That kind of stuck for me. Just toss in some Monster Hunter (item building/collecting) and old-school D&D modules (level design) and you pretty much have Demon's Souls.

Played Witcher 1 and 2 on the PC. AMAZING games. There were soooo many WOW moments.

post #96 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Maybe Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will come close to what you are looking for. It's made by the llead designer of Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion, and it's due out in early 2012:

This has been on my must have list for about a year now when they first had a one paragraph blurb about it. I am waiting for this game more then I am Skyrim, or just about any other game.

post #97 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I wouldn't go near the 360 version, all the kids will be cheating with party chat. The PS3 player base will probably be bigger and more experienced.

It looks like party chat will be disabled on the XBox version. http://kotaku.com/5844514/hows-dark-...ng-on-xbox-360

Scroll down to the 2nd item that is bolded.
post #98 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

um first its "role" not roll

It's "it's", not "its".
post #99 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

It's "it's", not "its".

We could keep this going all day. The quotation marks go outside the comma and period, so that should actually read: It's "it's," not "its."

post #100 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

haha
post #101 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

We could keep this going all day. The quotation marks go outside the comma and period, so that should actually read: It's "it's," not "its."

It's "The quotation marks go outside the comma and period in the US, so that should actually read: 'It's "it's," not "its."' if you are an upstart colonist who's forgotten proper - and logical - punctuation."

Also, while I loved Demon's Souls' level design and unique take on online play, I spent way too much time doing the same passages over and over and over again. I'm going to have to pass on Dark Souls, and maybe watch an HD playthrough on YouTube at some point. Makes me sad, but there are too many other good games coming out.
post #102 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's "The quotation marks go outside the comma and period in the US, so that should actually read: 'It's "it's," not "its."' if you are an upstart colonist who's forgotten proper - and logical - punctuation."

Bah. Damned colonial oppressors. We'll put our quotation marks where we damn well please (but preferably somewhere where there's oil).

Quote:

Also, while I loved Demon's Souls' level design and unique take on online play, I spent way too much time doing the same passages over and over and over again. I'm going to have to pass on Dark Souls, and maybe watch an HD playthrough on YouTube at some point. Makes me sad, but there are too many other good games coming out.

Sadly, I'm in the same boat. And it didn't help that I had to restart my Demon's Souls game three times (lost my save twice for different reasons). But really it was when I found myself replaying the same areas over and over and over again just to get enough souls to buy a specific weapon that I realized I wasn't having fun anymore. Flashbacks to the obsessive compulsion of WoW turned me off.

I really want to play Dark Souls, but my sensible self says "no." (or '"no".' for the oppressors among you).

post #103 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Being familiar with the level design was great because it helped me track down the host/blue phantoms faster.

When I was not in soul form I often stood near the beginning of the level and waited to be invaded.

Larger levels would have made it a chore to use the PvP capabilities, so I liked the small levels.
post #104 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Dark souls is actually almost completely open world according to videos that i've seen, they even mentioned more random enemy spawns so don't pass on this because you think it will be just another crap rehash like a COD sequel. They said the content will be at least 4x the land mass and 2x the weapons that were in demons souls. It will be epic!
post #105 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin2117 View Post

It looks like party chat will be disabled on the XBox version. http://kotaku.com/5844514/hows-dark-...ng-on-xbox-360

Scroll down to the 2nd item that is bolded.

Wow, Thats going to really bring the b****ing out! Telling Xbots they can't save at will, nor can they talk to everyone and anything.

Heads are going to explode.
post #106 of 1246 Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

like this
post #107 of 1246 Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/87...-week-in-japan

Dark Souls has already sold more than the lifetime total of Demon's Souls in Japan.
post #108 of 1246 Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

...Also, while I loved Demon's Souls' level design and unique take on online play, I spent way too much time doing the same passages over and over and over again. I'm going to have to pass on Dark Souls, and maybe watch an HD playthrough on YouTube at some point. Makes me sad, but there are too many other good games coming out.

Quote:

...Sadly, I'm in the same boat. And it didn't help that I had to restart my Demon's Souls game three times (lost my save twice for different reasons). But really it was when I found myself replaying the same areas over and over and over again just to get enough souls to buy a specific weapon that I realized I wasn't having fun anymore. Flashbacks to the obsessive compulsion of WoW turned me off.

I really want to play Dark Souls, but my sensible self says "no." (or '"no".' for the oppressors among you).

I'm wrestling with this purchase myself. I came nowhere near finishing the game. I think I made it through 3 or 4 bosses only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Dark souls is actually almost completely open world according to videos that i've seen, they even mentioned more random enemy spawns so don't pass on this because you think it will be just another crap rehash like a COD sequel. They said the content will be at least 4x the land mass and 2x the weapons that were in demons souls. It will be epic!

That sounds interesting. I haven't kept up much with the news on this game, but have there been many more details regarding online play with friends (PS3). I can deal with no chat, but it would be nice if you could play with a friend a bit easier.

Maybe I didn't play it enough to get it, but I found the whole online element, aside from the leaving messages and watching how people died, a bit cumbersome and confusing on the first game. I think it would be nice if they tuned that up a bit.
post #109 of 1246 Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

I can deal with no chat, but it would be nice if you could play with a friend a bit easier.

They invented the phone in 1876, surely you could call your buddy? If you don't know their number he is not really your friend, he is some social network based pseudo acquittance that everyone calls a friend now a days.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #110 of 1246 Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM

[quote=Mikazaru

Dark Souls has already sold more than the lifetime total of Demon's Souls in Japan.[/QUOTE]

hopes it reaches a mil
post #111 of 1246 Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender15 View Post

hopes it reaches a mil

Remember, too, that Dark Souls is a PS3 exclusive in Japan (not that anyone actually owns a 360 in Japan anyway...). So if it's reaching a quarter of a million in a few days on one console in one country, you can figure it'll probably quickly pass the million mark once it gets released worldwide.

post #112 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
post #113 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM

9.0!

(Not that IGN ratings are really relevant to quality)
post #114 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, most pro reviews are little more than a curiosity these days since they sometimes have alterior motives in their write-ups, but it'll be interesting to see how Joystiq score it. I seem to remember how much they whined about Demon Souls because it was too hard for them.

post #115 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I hate their blub for metacritic where it says "If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that..." Come on now. Just because a game is difficult, hard, demented, whatever you want to call it, you always end up playing it because it's fun in some way.

Anyway, still ready for my game to arrive. I've read a bit about it and am curious as to how it all pulls together. Just going by the review it sounds like invading is more of a hassle, but I am sure it will make sense when playing.
post #116 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ign.com's details on the difficulty of Dark Souls should scare away the casuals. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here:

Quote:

There are frog-like sewer-dwelling creatures that can Curse you with their attacks, instantly reducing your health bar to half its former size; the only way to get cured is to visit a healer hidden deep within a dangerous ghost-populated area that's a long, long journey away (or to buy an item from a vendor, if you've got enough souls).

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle. Similarly, there are areas in the mid-section of the game where the main challenge isn't overcoming the skinless poisonous demons that live there, but struggling not to get knocked off narrow, precarious ledges by their attacks.

post #117 of 1246 Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I love the game at first; but the thing that you have to start the game every time you dies reallly pissed me off and I stopped playing it after a week; $60 lost!... Hope this new version at least has 2 checkpoints between levels; and not 0 checkpoints like in Demon's Soul
post #118 of 1246 Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle.

Heck, that's scared me off the game, and I enjoyed (but didn't finish) the first one.

Guess I'll wait until this is pretty cheap so I won't feel too bad if I hate it.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read whatever I've posted above this signature.
post #119 of 1246 Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

or you could just go into the level prepared with grasses to cure the curse and use your backup gear... Its probably like the swamp level in 5-2 from demons souls, how hard would that be with no poison resistance gear or no grass to cure?
post #120 of 1246 Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

I love the game at first; but the thing that you have to start the game every time you dies reallly pissed me off and I stopped playing it after a week; $60 lost!... Hope this new version at least has 2 checkpoints between levels; and not 0 checkpoints like in Demon's Soul

Levels in DS were never meant to go through in one trek....

if I got a dollar ever time I backtrack and retreated to the Nexus to level up.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page